• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion The Masquerade pt 2

DeletedUser607

The 2 buildings are uninteresting at low level

that's a problem I wanted to address too.

at high chapters, they are interesting, mostly because they have a really good mana per tile value. on lower chapters (everything below 9 is low, in this case), the culture value in relation to the supplies value just doesn't work out. consider raising the supplies-value to turn the prize into something interesting.

Ashrem

consider raising the supplies-value to turn the prize into something interesting.
Or let them produce mana as though you are chapter 9, regardless of your chapter. I'm probably less than a month from finishing Orcs, and if I do finish the quests, neither building will be of any use to me. Even if that mana all automatically decays until we have somewhere else to store it, at least there's a reason to hang on to them.

SoggyShorts

How about having 2 active quests at a time?
Instead of the 4th quest box being useless until the very end "Complete all masq quests"
Have 2 that you can work on at the same time like in the Fellowship Adventures. (but not declinable)
Finishing both questlines opens up the reward.

Or perhaps something like this:
top quest.jpg
bottom quest.png

ALdbeign

I am seeing a lot of good suggestions here that seem better for a "big" event. I would hate to get too far off track and derail any changes the devs want to make in the immediate future (because, you know, they want this out so soon they cant fit actual testing into the schedule ;) ).

TomatoeHu has a lot of wonderful ideas that could be worked into this event as alternatives to the most complained about quests, and a lot of others I hope you (Inno) file away for future larger events, great stuff there!

A couple of my favorites that I think would go well in this event are:
Use an Instant ( after wining one as a reward )
Put 1 KP in a wonder not your own or spend 3 KP
Find a hidden treasure
Though for the last i like this variant better...
Find/collect four (4) hidden treasure chests
4 can't be completed in an Inno "day" though you can time things to get it done in 10 minutes if you do it right and certainly is not a 3+ day event stopper (like scouting can be for upper levels)

Jackluyt

Same, same old I am afraid - boring and no fun.

The impressions that follow are based on player feedback to the original Part One (Beta version).
Not all are relevant - but I am leaving them in, in case the design team ever read this!
  1. The general impression for many players are that the awards are too expensive, compared to the outlay - I, for example, would have to fork our 100 000 goods that I can ill afford, in order to finish the quest. If the Instants I got were more useful, I might consider it - but who the heck needs a bonus that saves you one minute? Giving one-minute Boosters is like giving week-old used tea-bags... If they gave away useful Boosters that saved you 6 hours, for example, I’d consider it. As things stand, I am not even trying to finish the event.

Quote of the Day: Giving away silly, stingy awards like One-minute Boosters is like handing around an enormous bag of peanuts at a party - and then telling people they can only take one!!
  2. Like the previous event, this one is boring and unimaginative.
    Events are a golden opportunity to teach the ‘newbie’ - each quest could be used to teach new skills that he / she has not yet discovered!! Sadly, instead, we are asked to do the same boring things over and over...
    Here are some suggestions which I sucked out my thumb:

i. Use a Shortcut HotKey;
    ii. Zoom your city in once and out again
    iii. Change your City Name and your Avatar
    iv. Upgrade 6 blocks of street (the reward window would tell the ‘newbie’ that he / she gained Culture, and so they should do all the rest!)
    v. Sell a Culture building (Easy one! - one could build and sell a 1 x 1 Signpost. The reward window would tell the ‘newbie’ that he / she could gain Culture by selling & replacing obsolete buildings!)
    vi. Whisper with a friend in the Chat window
    vii. Collect Three Treasure Chests from Neighborhood visits
    viii. Find and visit a Map City called ‘Estrella’s Masquerade’ or whatever (teaching the player search function) and polish the Mystery Building. That would spin a wheel to generates a random mystery prize, varying from a few supplies to something very special! This city open for the whole of the event for a daily Mystery Spin. Wouldn't that be FUN?

3. Many of the game changes over the last year were designed to slow the game down - because high-intensity players were finishing a chapter in a week, and then complaining that they had nothing to do. There was no way the design team could keep up - so longer guest race chapters, changes to the Wholesaler, and fewer, more expensive expansions were both necessary and understandable.
    Other additions to the game, like Tournaments and Events, were meant to compensate for the slowness of the story-line, by giving players other fun things to do. That, we believe, was the intention.
    Events like this will not keep anyone occupied and interested - if they are so boring and impossible that people don’t bother to participate...

4. There is no fun in this Event!
    My take on this is that one gets the impression that the design team are inherently stingy! They seem to resent giving away anything at all - or so it would appear...

What I would say to them is, if you want to have a wonderful party where everyone enjoys themselves - you need to have a big bowl of Punch at the door, and hand a glass to each guest as they arrive. Then you spend a few bucks to hire an Oompah band, blow up some balloons, and ask the guys to bring a bottle of schnapps, and the ladies to bring a plate of snacks... ... and voila!

PARTY TIME!
20768175_10209857193527133_1997000937656898747_n.jpg

This is not the spirit of the recent Events that players are picking up!

It seems that the developers resent giving away anything at all - and grudgingly dole out pathetic, boring little prizes that most people cannot afford.
Many of us are puritans at heart - and find it offensive, being required to throw-away hard-earned materials...

Why not give away some really big mystery prizes?
Do what I suggested above - have an Event City on the Map where you visit daily to ‘spin the wheel’ and win rare prizes like a couple of expansions, a blue print or two...
... most of us would not win them, we’d just get some Supplies, Instants or Coins - but it would add the spice to the Event that is at present sadly lacking...

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited:

Bracken

Agree with most things I've read above. It's getting too repetitive, monotonous and boring. There have been many suggestions from players for variety in the tasks but the same old, same old appear week after week. The devs seem to think we have nothing to do but repeat the same mindless tasks all day long - we play to get entertained not just to pass the time and this is no longer entertaining

ALdbeign

eh, the truth is we WILL and we DO these repetitive tasks all the time. I have done repeated build 50 beverages and make 35 simple tools requests over and over and over (as in for the FS adventure) and yes it gets old, but so does walking if i actually think about the act of walking... we have tried and true boring tasks that get integrated in every event and I'm all for switching it up/being more creative etc. and with regards to the purpose of this thread, switching out/reducing quantity and/or increasing the time from say 5,5 to 7,0 will make this event work without an excess of complaints. My personal issue is simply that i cannot complete the requirements without MAJOR reworking on live within 5,5 days (unless i am at a point where i can drop about 4 fields and a farm), very minor (to me) tweaks in either the intensity of the quests or a (also to me) minor increase in the time span works (for me).

p.s. i misrepresented myself in an earlier post, my beta city has 30 workshops, not 25. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser2108

I too agree... too short a time to do all that, especially the relics! In some of my lands, I only have like 5 workshops, so doing the 10 toolboxes would take me 2 days just for them.. Someone mentioned making and taking trades as an option for some of these harder ones... I agree. and someone mentioned visiting neighbors as another option... I totally agree with both of those . It is something players of all levels can do without straining their game.

DeletedUser2003

Events should be fun and exciting. They also shouldn't interfere with anyones progression through the research tree, or interfere with advancing your cities needs/ growth. They should have quests that promote interaction with new players, fellowship members and world map neighbors. Production quests and upgrade quests create havoc in developing cities and for cities that can no longer grow ( already locked in the tree or at the end of the tree ) Whether or not a quest is TOO easy for some players is irrelevant. Of course they will be too easy for some players, but those are not the issues being addressed with events. As an archmage of 2 successfully growing and extremely participatory fellowships, the feedback i have surrounding the events is overwhelmingly negative from all chapters, 1 through 11.

Events should not require the following :

A) additional buildings - especially non boosted buildings. The game has already set all players on a path with restricted expansions and population needs restrict certain amounts of buildings because we do not have unlimited expansions. Some players run 5-6 workshops or 3-5 tier one depending on the use of wonders. The events are never designed for any of the optional builds or unique builds players choose. Example : those who have non boosted buildings.

B )Should not require X number of upgrades -There is never any way to tell which of the player base has upgrades left depending on their chapter progression. They may be out of options and then have to resort to building additional buildings which spirals off to, they cant because theres not enough room in their cities. This makes upgrading a terrible event quest. It also requires players to resort to leaving normal game progression to tackle the needs of the event.

C) The research tree should not be interfered with - there should never be a rush to insert KP. This creates tech lock or if you have already become tech locked what would you do - throw it away in a wonder, a fellows wonder or a neighbors wonder but that is also distracting you from your normal city growth. Players should be unlocking new techs properly and using the time needed between techs to complete upgrades or gaining regular needed productions to assist them in progressing smoothly.

D) scouting, more never works well for any level player. If you had the coin you would already have done it. If you have the troops or goods to cater, you would have already cleared any open provinces. People don't just scout and leave vast numbers of open provinces sitting. Preparation is always required because of the hideous scout times, the scout times vary so much throughout the player base its an awful quest to use as it requires time, coins, troops ( so more time in training ), tools ( more time producing the tools ) or goods ( time needed to make extra, acquire it through trade). Over scouting always occurs with the events rolling out more frequently creating another problem - the provinces are now too difficult to fight or cost more goods then you can create.

Quests that are fun and do not interfere with your city :

Move a building. ( free and fun, come on, it makes me laugh! )
Accept trades
Post trades
Visit a neighbor
Visit 3 neighbors
Gain goods
Spend less then a days worth of KP
Collect x number of productions - tools, goods Example: Collect 5 tier one productions , Collect 2 tier 2 ( doesn't matter whether its a 3hr, 9hr, but stay away from 1 day - they have terrible return rates compared to 3 or 9hr productions and we need regular cycles to play in our cities)
Collect coins/ gain coins
Gain culture OR have x amount of culture boost ( small amount!!! chapter dependent ) to promote new roads, signposts etc for decoration only.
Change your city name ( there are literally endless amounts of players who still don't know how to do this
Cast a Spell
Use an Instant ( after wining one as a reward )
Build a road
Gain Supplies ( not ridiculous amounts either based on 3 3hr productions for example)
Train troops
Put 1 KP in your wonder or spend 3 KP
Put 1 KP in a wonder not your own or spend 3 KP
Find a hidden treasure
Use the wholesaler

Using the declinable quest line for examples of quantity is ideal. Do not use non boosted quests. That is the worst, most backwards approach to learning a game, asking players to do the opposite of what they have struggled to learn and adapt to. The in-game declinable quest line is already in place and chapter dependent and is a bonus during regular game play, not a task or impossible, for all players. These quests use chapter dependent requirements, why stray from these? Use the quantities to better assist us in completing the events.

An Event should not be tasking. It should simply give us a little on-the-side enjoyment to make us want to sign in more often, interact with others more often. Not advance us too quickly or unnecessarily. Remember that players want to continuously complete and advance through event quests. More, simple quests that are more enjoyable brings us back on-line more often and keeps us from feeling hassled, stressed, unhappy or de-railed from normal game play.
THIS!!
All this!! @TomatoeHu is now my new hero(ine)!! :rolleyes::cool::p

I am surprised that after so many really good examples of different quest suggestions, the same quests are still showing up in this event and the Fellowship Adventures (which I am quite enjoying, by the way). I know it has already been brought up by a few, but I will also add that with the revamp of the AWs, many players no longer have 10-12 workshops like they used to, therefore the produce XXX supplies quests become so, well, UGH!!! NOT AGAIN!! And I personally usually cannot sit at the computer for a great deal of time at 1 opportunity, so I may come back to my computer an hour and a half later to find that I have 6 beverages that have been waiting an hour and 25 minutes to be collected. Please consider including some of the other quest options that have been suggested. I love the ones about visiting XXX FS members/neighbors and placing/accepting XXX trades. These I feel are more realistic and reasonable, and promote more interaction within the game. Produce XXX beverages followed by produce XXX simple tools, bread or something else just causes eye twitches and mind explosions. :eek:

DeletedUser2144

THIS!!
All this!! @TomatoeHu is now my new hero(ine)!! :rolleyes::cool::p

I am surprised that after so many really good examples of different quest suggestions, the same quests are still showing up in this event and the Fellowship Adventures (which I am quite enjoying, by the way). I know it has already been brought up by a few, but I will also add that with the revamp of the AWs, many players no longer have 10-12 workshops like they used to, therefore the produce XXX supplies quests become so, well, UGH!!! NOT AGAIN!! And I personally usually cannot sit at the computer for a great deal of time at 1 opportunity, so I may come back to my computer an hour and a half later to find that I have 6 beverages that have been waiting an hour and 25 minutes to be collected. Please consider including some of the other quest options that have been suggested. I love the ones about visiting XXX FS members/neighbors and placing/accepting XXX trades. These I feel are more realistic and reasonable, and promote more interaction within the game. Produce XXX beverages followed by produce XXX simple tools, bread or something else just causes eye twitches and mind explosions. :eek:

I can not even participate in Part 2 as I was not able to finish Part 1. I had one more step to finish. And it is because I am new in the Beta world and my game was too young to do the steps that were first asked of us. Then you changed the steps but did not have time to finish. :(

I can not even participate in Part 2 as I was not able to finish Part 1. I had one more step to finish. And it is because I am new in the Beta world and my game was too young to do the steps that were first asked of us. Then you changed the steps but did not have time to finish. :(

SoggyShorts

I can not even participate in Part 2 as I was not able to finish Part 1
There is no actual connection between PT1 & PT2, they just have the same name. You do not need to have completed PT1 to do PT2.
EDIT: Maybe that's not true. It would certainly be a new (and ugly) thing if you need to complete one event in order to play another. I'm sure those that miss one due to real life will be thrilled at missing 2 events instead....

Last edited:

Dony

King of Bugs
There is no actual connection between PT1 & PT2, they just have the same name. You do not need to have completed PT1 to do PT2.
on my live server we actually got ingame message saying that it is last day to finish part 1 if we want to participate in part 2

Heymrdiedier

- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics

These quests are the same thing. Solving encounters is the same as gaining relics. Isn't there something else you can do for the OR so we aren't forced to fight or negotiate a province. Or possibly spend days that are not available attempting to gain the relics by visiting?

you can get relics from neighbourly help, completing a province can give you more then 1 relic, so you dont need to do 26 encounters per se.
I've also found this wording strange tho, just saying: gain 26 relics would just cover the quest aswell, since doing 1 encounter gives you at least 1 relic.

The 2 buildings are uninteresting at low level

that's a problem I wanted to address too.

at high chapters, they are interesting, mostly because they have a really good mana per tile value. on lower chapters (everything below 9 is low, in this case), the culture value in relation to the supplies value just doesn't work out. consider raising the supplies-value to turn the prize into something interesting.

Personally i dont think they are interesting at high levels either. I know lots of people asked for a mana producting reward, but i was hoping for them to be added during the big events where you can choose to go for a reward or not. Mana producing rewards are in my opinion useless, as soon as you have a dragon abbey. When you got the abbey your mana problems are basically over.

Same, same old I am afraid - boring and no fun.

The impressions that follow are based on player feedback to the original Part One (Beta version).
Not all are relevant - but I am leaving them in, in case the design team ever read this!
  1. The Mana-producing Buildings are a nice addition to the game. Mind you though, they cost an arm and both legs to gain them!

2. Requirement to build units that produce non-Boosted materials. This, to me, is totally daft! As ArchMages, we spend hours persuading newcomers to shed their non-Boosted factories and replace them with Boosted units that produce so much more on the same area. An now we have an Event that undoes that work and would have us all build them! I have no space for this in my second city - and have no intention of selling stuff off stuff I need to win a naffy little prize and a handful of useless ten-minute boosters. So I did not even try...
Sorry Jack ive stopped readin after point 2. If you're going to give feedback on an event by discussing the previous event, at least have the decency to leave out the comments that totally dont apply to the current event. Not a single quest asks for non boosted production this time.

So sorry again, i dont like offtopic discussions

aliceFalling

my feedback for part 2 of the masquerade is: POSITIVE POINTS that the scouting near the beginning is great because from the chapter of the fairies onwards the time needed for scouting is almost as long as the event...joking but if you’re going to do it then the beginning is best.

NEGATIVE POINTS: 26 encounters or relics? far too many. it takes the fun out of the event.

QUESTION: what happened to producing non-boosted goods? that was fun. thanks :)

DeletedUser1998

For me too the dealbreaker is - Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics
at least with the Scout quests there is an option to upgrade a building, but as others have said the "solve 26 encounters part"
is obsolete as you would gain the required relics anyway.

How about Gain 26 relics or help 100 neighbors (if that is trackable)

Even if the numbers were different like "Gain 16 relics or solve 8 encounters" it would make some sense.
Then people could choose to fight encounters or gain relics from visits and tournaments.

DeletedUser1163

I love Elvenar but I don't look forward to these events. Who wants to spend hours producing goods? Could not finish the Masquerade Pt 1 because the last quest said, "Gain 18 relics." It would take too long to scout, most provinces I can't negotiate because Orcs are needed to trade, and the tournament is closed. I'll probably sit out the second part of this event and try out the Fellowship Adventures instead.

DeletedUser1998

I love Elvenar but I don't look forward to these events. Who wants to spend hours producing goods?

Err, isn't that what we do most of the time anyway?

Could not finish the Masquerade Pt 1 because the last quest said, "Gain 18 relics." It would take too long to scout, most provinces I can't negotiate because Orcs are needed to trade, and the tournament is closed. I'll probably sit out the second part of this event and try out the Fellowship Adventures instead.

I feel your pain on the relics point and even though I'm still in the Dwarven Chapter, the only reason I finished that last quest was because there was a tournament on, otherwise I would not have done it.

If the "Gain 26 relics" goes to live servers I will not bother doing part 2 at all.
Instead, like you say, I'll just get prepared for the Fellowship Adventures.

DeletedUser724

After reading some of replies, I would like to add some further comments
/spoiler
- Produce Beverages , Bread , Simple Tools .......... are basically current quests in Fellowship adventures

- Scout 1 Province or upgrade 1 Building , Research 1 Technology or upgrade 1 building,- Upgrade 4 Buildings..... it is usually end up as upgrading building as it is more promising and lesser time

- Solve Encounters or gain Relics, Gain Relics.... most player i believe complete it via tournament, so u can gain advantage if it is running with tournament. Some player think "solve encounter or gain relic" are basically the same. In fact, it is quite different. If you are refering to contential map, solve 1 encounter= 1 relic. You can use hugh amount of soldier or super large amount of goods to negotiation to get 1 relic or solve 1 encounter.......however, with same amount of
soldier or goods, you can get tons of relic with negotiation in early province... that is the difference......if your fellowship has problem, u better find a good one...

- Spend Knowledge Points

- Produce Advanced Tools and Gain a good amount of Supplies , Produce Basket of Groceries and Gain a good amount of Supplies ,- Produce Toolbox and Gain a good amount of Supplies...........again, we also doing similar in fellowship adventures...so it should be a big issue except "gain a good amountof supplies", which kill many player as far as i know in last times.....

so i believe quest is ok, except it need to last for 1 week so player can make use tournament <no tournament, those gain relic is impossible to complete>
and also 6 tab
spoiler/