• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion The Masquerade pt 2

Marindor

Hi everyone!

You'll probably be surprised to see a discussion thread about a Questline Event while we haven't launched that event on Beta yet and if you are surprised, you'd be totally right! :D This is something we usually never do, but as you all know, we had a lot of new things to test on Beta during the last couple of weeks and a lot more will be coming. We are currently testing our brand new Fellowship Adventures on Beta and since you now all have a clear view of the scope of this new game mechanic, you'll probably understand that this is a feature that we wanted to give enough time to test very thoroughly and be able to fix as many issues as possible before releasing it to live. So far that's going great: Quite some bugs have already been found, one even really blocking progression and a lot of feedback has already been given.

However, this did leave us with a difficult choice because wanting enough time to test this properly and be able to fix issues as well, meant that we had to move it forward in our Beta schedule (since it's planned to be released on Live in the beginning of September). This also meant that it would come together with our planning for The Masquerade pt 2 Questline, which will be released on our Live servers next week. Since it's technically not possible in our current system to run 2 events at the same time, it would mean that we'd have to replace The Masquerade pt 2 with it. This results in a situation where this Questline event will be released to Live without Beta testing it first. This is absolutely not ideal and it's a decision we didn't take lightheartedly but I think now you've seen the Fellowship Adventures, you will understand why we chose to gave this feature priority over the Questline Event.

What we learned from our past experiences, and the best example would be this month with the Masquerade pt 1, is that the general game mechanics for these Questline Events work but that the most important part about Beta testing it, is the feedback we receive. Therefore releasing it to Live without asking for your input first, isn't an option for us either because you've proven how valuable your feedback is. After a lot of thinking and discussing, this made us come to the following solution:

Although the general game mechanics are about the same for every Questline Event, we have tested these with our support teams on a different internal test server last week to make sure there are no bugs in it. For your feedback (and this is something we usually never do), we want to give you an overview of the quests here so we can gather your feedback. Most of our active forum users are very experienced players, helping us Beta test this game and giving their feedback for quite a long time now and we think you will be competent enough to provide us with your thoughts based on the theory. Therefore, please help us by going through this quest list and let us know your thoughts about it so we would have time to make last adjustments if necessary, before releasing it to Live. I will put the actual quests in a spoiler tag, in case some players like to be surprised and don't want to see it yet. The QLE will run for roughly 5,5 days.

- Produce Beverages 50 times
- Produce Bread 30 times
- Scout 1 Province or upgrade 1 Building to Level 10 or higher
- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics
- Research 1 Technology or upgrade 1 building to level 12 or higher
- Produce Simple Tools 40 times
- Gain 14 Relics
- Upgrade 4 Buildings to Level 4 or higher
- Produce Advanced Tools 16 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 16 productions)
- Spend 23 Knowledge Points
- Produce Basket of Groceries 12 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 12 productions)
- Produce Toolbox 10 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (same as above)

Please let us emphasize once again that we know this solution is not perfect but it's the best one to go with in this situation. It's also not something we're planning on doing again in the future, but we do appreciate your feedback and do want to get you involved in it before the Live Release. Also: Because we don't want to take away your opportunity to win the reward building on Beta, we will run this QLE on Beta after the Fellowship Adventures testing is completed.

Thank you very much for your understanding and help with this. We're very proud of this community and know we can make this work together!

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

DeletedUser1095

- Produce Beverages 50 times, Produce Bread 30 times, Produce Simple Tools 40 times: "Hey! Let our fun game bore you silly!" Half the required number of productions would be monotonous enough, and two of this type of quest (not right in a row) would be plenty.

- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics is much too demanding, even with a tournament on. "Gain 8 spells (any kind) and solve 7 encounters/tournament battles" would be fair, emphasizing that tournament battles need to count too.

- How about something like "post 8 trades and accept 10 trades", "gain 300 goods and aid 8 neighbours/fellows", or "use 5 spells and add or improve 10 roads" for variety?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

@Marindor Thank you for your explaination. Much appreciated.

My feedback for the quests:
If the QLE will run for 5,5 days some quests will be a problem for the players who have finished the halflings (I have on live)

- Scout 1 Province or Upgrade 1 Building to lvl 10 or higher

Scouting 1 province will cost me 3 days and I have no more technology to research. I should have room to upgrade a building to lvl 10-12. But I wonder if players without the benefit of a spoiler will be able to complete that in the time given.

Concerning the last quest: For players who don't have a lot of room to build extra workshops. Producing 10 toolboxes (1 day), will also be a time problem. Especially because the quests before that asks for 12 Basket of Groceries (9 hours)

DeletedUser2137

Too many supplies needed, the workshops will be overloaded & the amount is too demanding

23 kps are too much since it's difficult to get it done within a day, 18 will be better

too many relics required

trades, spells & paying goods for variety since it's very boring

DeletedUser1476

Solving 26 encounters would only be okay if the tournament fights would count towards it. Gaining 26 relics works in the tournament though, easier than gaining 10 spells at least. Neither is possible outside of the tournament, means that for 72 hours a player would be locked. That's not what it should be, right? I think that no event quest should be relying on the tournament.
Generally I consider any quest with a potential to take more than a day to be bothersome.

Deleted User - 63604

A good move to ask at least for feedback if testing does not fit in the schedule!

Normaly Questlines balance makes it possible to solve it without using spoilers to know what quests are ahead. Looking at the Questlist, im pretty sure there is no way to finish it in 5,5 days.

- Produce Bread 30 times
- Scout 1 Province or upgrade 1 Building to Level 10 or higher //takes about 2-3 Days
- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics //takes 3 provinces or a day/round in tournament
- Research 1 Technology or upgrade 1 building to level 12 or higher //takes 1-3 days
- Gain 14 Relics //another 2 provinces or day/round in tournament
- Produce Advanced Tools 16 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 16 productions)
- Spend 23 Knowledge Points //again a day
- Produce Basket of Groceries 12 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 12 productions)
- Produce Toolbox 10 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (same as above) // 1 day

So it will take a player about 9 days to finish it with a strict playerschedule without using the spoilers and only if the tournament times also fit in this order/days. Thats way way to much for 5,5 days. I can already tell you for sure, if that list goes live, alot of ppl will complain/rage (by having a really good reason). Cut the requierements by half and replace some of the quests that needs alot of time (like province scout or toolbox creation) with something else. That stuff is in general a bad idea for a small/short event.

Deleted User - 60107

@Marindor Thank you for the explanation! Much appreciated!

Let's see:
- far, FAR too many quests that use the workshops - 6 out of 12 want us to produce something in our workshops. That's easily the most boring type of quests
- those same quests require far too many productions: Produce Beverages 50 times, Produce Bread 30 times, Produce Simple Tools 40 times, Produce Advanced Tools 16 times, Produce Basket of Groceries 12 times and Produce Toolbox 10 times. The first three in particular are really boring and monotonous. Workshop quests should NEVER be 2 in a row, to reduce boredom at least a little bit
- Scout 1 Province or upgrade 1 Building to Level 10 or higher - this can be a serious problem depending on where the player is in the tech tree. Not just for players at the end of Halflings, but also for players before Dwarves (speaking from personal experience here)
- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics - HOW MANY??? This is a typo, right? You meant to write 6, right? There's no way you seriously think everyone can get 26 Relics just like that. Even with a tournament active it can be difficult to get 26 relics. 26 is just WAY too many. Even 16 can be difficult if there's no tournament active at the time
- Research 1 Technology or upgrade 1 building to level 12 or higher - again, this can be a problem depending on where you are in the tech tree
- Gain 14 Relics - 14 MORE? AFTER the above 26? That's a total of 40! FOURTY! FAR too many!
- Upgrade 4 Buildings to Level 4 or higher - the main issues here are space and time. Some players are likely to have no space for new buildings, forcing them to do time-consuming upgrades that they don't really need just to finish this quest. And those that do have enough space will just delete the new buildings after completing the quest, making the whole thing a waste of time and resources
- Spend 23 Knowledge Points - no comlaints for this one

With how time-consuming some of the quests are this event shoud run for at least 2 weeks. If it's going to ruin for a week or less you need to significantly tone down the requirements.

Deleted User - 60107

Task number 9:

Well, that's asuming I HAVE 16 workshops.
To do quests like that, in the time we have, I build a lot of lvl 1 workshops. So no, it's not the amount I will get from the 16 productions....
Good point, thanks for bringing this up!

@Marindor Could you explain about these quests:
Produce Advanced Tools 16 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 16 productions)
Produce Basket of Groceries 12 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 12 productions)
Produce Toolbox 10 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (same as above)
What do you base the claim "almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 16 productions" on? Is it based on the amounts we can get from a Workshop that is the max level for our current chapter? Because many players (myself included) do not upgrade all workshops to max level. In addition, not many players have 16 (or at least 12) workshops. Also, let's not forget that a player who just started a new chapter simply CAN'T have max level workshops - because that player has not yet unlocked the tech that allows the upgrade. On Beta I am in precisely that situation: I am in Orcs, but I have researched only Advanced Scouts and Orc portal. Look at the tech tree and see how long it will be before I get to the Workshops tech.

DeletedUser724

My comments are very simple and straight foreward

quests appears ok
but 5 days may have problem, it is better to use 1 week
1 week will cover tournament that we gain kp and relic to meet quests
the fellowship adventure will also help as some quest can help ( but some quest may have conflict, see below)

the top player has already do the upgrade
even they still have upgrade, it may take 1 to 2 days, scout will up to 2 to 3 days, so 1 week is better

gain a "good amount " may affect our fellowship adventures as we may need to apply PoP on workshop
it is highly likely it will affect ...as we need to reserve a lot of workshop to handle that "good amount"

I think tournament and fellowship-adventures, story will run together
player will get use to it, the following situation we will have

(A) no fellowship adventures, no event
we have 2 tab (left hand side ) for quests
(B) fellowship or event
we have 4 tab (left hand side ) for quest <-- just like now
(C) when there is a new event and fellowship adventures
we should have 6 tab (left hand side ) for quest <-- which Inno need to implement

with 6-tab arrangement, it is totally at player discretion of "how to handle it"

I also take this chance to say

Fellowship Adventures is quite success as it increase fellow-member to communicate and helps

sunrae

- Produce Beverages 50 times, Produce Bread 30 times, Produce Simple Tools 40 times: "Hey! Let our fun game bore you silly!" Half the required number of productions would be monotonous enough, and two of this type of quest (not right in a row) would be plenty.

I agree, quests like this should not be one after the other and way too many. Events should be making the game more interesting not soul destroyingly dull.

- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics is much too demanding, even with a tournament on. "Gain 8 spells (any kind) and solve 7 encounters/tournament battles" would be fair, emphasizing that tournament battles need to count too.

This is going to be a tricky one for many players, 26 encounters could be far too costly to scout in gold and time. Gain 26 relics relies on the tournament and if we are going to include tournaments into an event then yep those encounters should count too. Either separate the two events entirely or include them together entirely.

Also I think it would be much more fun to have quests like post 10 trades, accept 10 trades, trade for certain items etc. There are no trading quests in this event, why not? We have done over and over and over the produce supplies/goods quests, time for something else surely? Neighbour visits would be another good one.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Thanks to the spoiler I will wait with upgrading my last 2 residences on live because else I would be stuck. I'm almost at the end of Halflings and don't have enough room to upgrade any building which becomes bigger in size. :(

Time wise however I agree with others that 5,5 days is too short. The 2 gain relics quests will be done during the tournament by most of us which starts on Tuesday, 1 day lost already waiting for tourny to start. Between those 2 gain relics quests you also have to wait another 16 hours (if I time the building upgrade correctly else I would have to wait even longer). Especially for players who are already far into the Halflings chapter upgrades cost a lot of time. Scouting isn't an option since that takes me ~3 days. :(

Overall the quests them self ain't a big problem for me but the time will be.

Saribar

Moin,
my 2 cent worth:
- Produce Bread 30 times
Repetitive but quickly doable (okay, I have 10 buildings for that normally, 15 at the moment because of the event)

Scouting takes 3 days, I still have enough buildings to upgrade so the needed space might be a problem

- Solve 26 Encounters or gain 26 Relics
NO WAY! This would be the place where I would stop participating in the event. Fighting is impossible or rather winning a fight, negotioating needs up to 12k of goods, I do not produce, and I already negotiated for the first part, so that my ressources are rather low. Gaining relics would mean one needs a tournament right from day 1 of this event and even then it is costly.

Okay, another upgrade, would be doable

Okay, once again put in an alarm to produce every 15 mins

- Gain 14 Relics
ARG, again a tournament is needed

hmmm, enough small buildings around so I can do that quite quickly

Wow, this time I actually have time to do housework between reacting to the alarm

- Spend 23 Knowledge Points
Gold is no problem, so I can buy the needed KP

- Produce Toolbox 10 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (same as above)
timeconsuming , needs 1.5 days but might be possible to achieve in the given time

All in all:
- lower the amounts of relics and encounters and make them totally interchangeable (meaning instead of x encounters or x relics, ask for x encounters/relics), because it is too expensive

- demand less goods produced or allow more days for doing that

DeletedUser1025

Sorry, I have not read all previous posts and my feedback might be repeating what has already been said:

I would reduce the 26 relics/encounters, it is a lot for small players and “small” event. It is time consuming and may be limiting. Why not 14 or 8?

I am generally against the quest “scout a province”. Everyone wants more space and most active players are already at “very hard” provinces. The developers keep telling us that we scout too much - why are we pushed into it, then?

Technology completion is hard when you depend on mana. It can take, literally, a week for advanced players. I am in such a situation right at the moment.

I agree with Mink about including trades. More trading would help the game anyway. And I agree with whoever mentioned that quest should not take more than a day each to complete. Not in a short quest. people have lives and normally miss a day or two in a week.

Is there any feedback of the proportion of players who bothered with part 1? The reward is soooo unattractive. Even for those who need mana. Why not a few spells as a reward instead.

DeletedUser1677

The relics:
Not a fan!

I had to fight a but more on the worldmap, for an expansion. (Space needed for fellowship adventure). So now I have like 1-2 places I can fight. Rest have to be scouted.
So that many relics, will be very VERY hard for me to get.
It's not like we drown in relics by doing tournaments.

The tech is fine by me. We get an alternative (upgrade building to lvl 12). Upgrading a tier 1 manufactory, does'nt take a lot of time.

Deleted User - 86059

mistoy de acuerdo con vosotros demasiado corto de tienpopara poder terminar el evento

Translates to= I must agree with you too short time to finish event

Remember guys English only in the forum please ;)

DeletedUser2141

I am a newbie to this game (less than 24 hrs) but I have been playing FoE for a couple of years now and I feel that 3 hr productions are doable but 9 hr productions for a newbie with no space to build extra production bldgs would be too much and would probably make a person want to not play the game. Thanks for listening.

DeletedUser607

I have to agree, the quests are too demanding, that price very hard to reach.

how about this

- Produce Bread 30 times
- Solve 13 Encounters or gain 13 Relics (reduced it)
- Produce Simple Tools 20 times (reduced it)
- Gain 14 Relics
- Produce Advanced Tools 10 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 16 productions) (reduced it)
- Spend 18 Knowledge Points (reduced it)
- Produce Basket of Groceries 6 times and Gain a good amount of Supplies (almost the amount of supplies you'll get from the 12 productions) (reduced it)
(dropped the last quest)

EDIT: and consider bringing the event after the fellowship-event-test, or otherwise just give the prize. for testing of course ;-)