• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion [Discussion] InnoGames TV - October Episode

Marindor

Let's change topic for a second: Any news about updates to the Magicless Academy? I keep hoping the next episode of InnoTV will finally bring some news about it and keep getting disappointed. It seems to have been forgotten by the devs...

I can ask whether or not we have something to share about that yet. It will be after the weekend though until I'll have an answer on that :)

DeletedUser

@madzix Thank you for your eleborate post. The feedback about these 33 premium expansions has been forwarded and I get the contradiction in this, compared to the rebalancing reasons.

For your remark about the tournaments: Could you explain why the tournaments are so hard for you now? These enemy troops are based on your own army strength and should be perfectly doable (of course, with each level their strength increases a bit), but with the right skills and tactics you should be able to fight them and win. Why is that so hard for you now?

As i said, it might just the fact that I am playing in auto, and the AI is dumb as a brick. It might be that the terrain prevented me from winning those fights. I cannot say for certain, because I was trying them very late in the evening and i didn't have time to sit and watch the fights. But, i did try several possible combinations, of the troops that were supposed to work better agains the enemies that I was facing, and I had loss after loss after loss.
I think you look at the global numbers and think, the enemies are only 150% of the players, so this should be easy. But, you forget that these global numbers don't mean much when the enemy has more squads than you, or the initiative means that by the time you have a turn to attack, half your troops are gone. Also, just like I predicted weeks ago, when the pentagram was posted, now that all the troops are vulnerable to 2 types of units, facing armies that have more than 2 types is extremely difficult, because you cannot help but use units that will inevitably have a weakness against one of the enemies units, making it very hard to win.
Now, keep in mind that I understand that the difficulty is increased with each level, and with the provinces away from your city, but I am talking about the first 3 or 4 provinces! this week, I only managed to complete level 4 in the first province and quit on the second, after 4 or 5 attempts!
And i am not a clueless fighter, I have always fought in this game, as well in other games, so I understand the mechanics quite well. Players that are not used to fighting/don't like it, will have no chances at all. Is that what you want? that players can't even complete the first 4 provinces on auto up to level 6? Forget about the first 4, as it is, we are talking about the first 2!!
How are those players supposed to get runes for the wonders? Or relics for the MA? They cannot complete provinces on the map, so no runes there, if they cannot do 3 or 4 provinces up to level 6 on the tournaments, they will have no chance whatsoever to get runes to build/upgrade wonders.
Tournaments need to be made easier, as they work and the only reliable source of this currency in the game.

Want to prevent ppl from going overboard and keep it balanced? keep the first 4 or 6 provinces as it was before, with the enemy only able to have the same amount of squads as us and around the same difficulty, and after that, increase the enemy squads and make the fights harder. that would allow the more casual players to still get a few relics/kps/runes, but it would prevent the more dedicated players of farming the tournaments for too many relics/kps/runes.

As it is you are just inviting players to quit the game. Here's the message this update has sent: you are not allowed more provinces on the map, you are not allowed more expansions (unless you pay for them), you are not allowed to do a lot of tournaments. You know what the players are hearing? I"nno: you are not allowed to play unless you pay, and keep paying over and over or quit as there is nothing here for you"

Marindor

Ok it might indeed be the AI in that case. Could you let us know what your results are when playing the battles manually?

DeletedUser

Ok it might indeed be the AI in that case. Could you let us know what your results are when playing the battles manually?

I am sorry, but I cannot fight these manually, because I lost a good portion of my troops, and i want to have enough to start again the first 2 or 3 levels of next week tournament. Besides, I don't think that is very helpful, because the battles shouldn't be balanced around players that play manually, they should be balanced around players that do auto, because most players do play auto. Players that do auto should be able to win these fights, so close to the city, they shouldn't have to play manually. i can understand that in auto the losses are higher than manually, and I am fine with that, but it should be possible to win. I can understand needing to play manually in the 8th or 10th province, at the higher level to be able to win, but on province 2, level 4? I am sorry, but I should have been able to win on auto

Deleted User - 60107

I can ask whether or not we have something to share about that yet. It will be after the weekend though until I'll have an answer on that :)
I can wait.

The reason I'm asking is because currently the Magicless Academy is useless. Here's part of a post I wrote on the International Server (modified a bit since it is now months old):

Let's look at the current spells:
- one that temporarily increases the amount of Supplies we produce - we were producing enough Supplies just fine before the Spell was added. In all three worlds where I play I often end up with maxed supplies, so I have never needed that spell
- one that temporarily increases the amount of Goods we produce - we were producing enough Goods just fine before the Spell was added. Again a spell I have never needed, since I produce enough Goods even though my manufactories are not upgraded to max level
- one that increases our Culture bonus, but only if we already have a Culture bonus - as far as I can tell this spell changed pretty much nothing, as it depends on both having a Culture bonus and having an active neighbour to give you help and trigger the spell effect. My Culture Bonus tends to vary between 150% and 170% depending on how much help I get from neighbours, so - you guessed it - I have never used that spell
- and the latest addition - a spell that temporarily increases the Recharge Limit of KPs. It's a nice little idea, but it's hardly something great that we desperately need. The only spell that might get used by me... once every few months. Probably. I haven't actually used it yet, so I am just guessing.

The Magic Academy is SUPPOSED to be a core element of game. The problem is: IT'S NOT! All it does is enhance core elements of the game, such as Supplies production and Goods production. What's more, the effects are only temporary and they don't even affect all the core elements (for example, no spell to enhance Scouting in any way; no spells to enhance combat in any way, etc.). So right now the Magicless Academy is NOT a core element of the game; it's just an add-on to some of the existing elements, nothing more.

If they want the MA to be mandatory they should put it out of the city grid - like the Harbor in FoE. This way everyone will be happy - the devs get their precious mandatory MA, and we get to complete any and all related quests without wasting a whole expansion for it.

And that brings me back to the issue of expansions. We have a lot of mandatory buildings, and keep getting new ones: Main Hall, Builders' Hut, Trader, Magic Academy, Barracks, the building where we will be training Cerberus (even if it is not actually mandatory and can be deleted most players will just keep it to be able to train the units any time they want), Mercenary Camp (same as the previous building, once we finally get the fairy units), Ancient Wonders (at least the ones we will need for combat)... At the same time we get only a few extra expansions each chapter. The rest have to either be bought with Diamonds or won from the World Map... and this is where I will stop, because others have said enough about that.

In my first town I have completed 193 Provinces - just 3 above the minimum for next chapter. In my second town I have exactly 130 Provinces completed and am now working my way through the Fairy chapter. In about a week we'll see how difficult the fights will be for a player that is where the devs expect...

SoggyShorts

Sadly my Beta account is too low to judge the new battle system, but I've read every post I can find on it.
I won't comment on top 300 player issues, that's been covered...a lot.
For players that are not expanded beyond expectations the main difficulty seems to revolve around initiative.

If both sides have all 3 of rock, paper, and scissors then whoever goes first wins.
Many times in the old system I would hold back or even retreat into the corners a bit round one so that the enemy would move forward(without hitting me) so that I could attack first on round 2. With the new system allowing enemy mages to kill a stack or 2 before you move this doesn't work any more. This can somewhat be managed by cleverly using terrain if available, but we all know the AI doesn't do that, so auto fighters need to at least manually fight round one to set things up, and sometimes even that isn't enough.

I don't expect flawless victories either in the old or the new systems, more like equal stacks means losing a squad on auto, and half a squad on manual. IMO that should have been the balance goal, if it isn't already.

EDIT: I thought I was in the battle redesign thread, will move over there

Last edited:

DeletedUser651

Marindor,
I too tried a bunch of combinations in the tournaments and kept losing. I was using auto, but as Madzix says, if the AI can't win, then I can't win. Period. No winning in the tournaments, no relics, no magic academy, no runes, no game.

I can't figure out what is supposed to be used against what. The pentagram doesn't have all the pictures of all the troops and it doesn't have words on it so I know which is heavy melee or what. That means I have to keep flipping between screens to try to remember which is what kind of unit and then try to figure out how to match what against what. BUT, I am now fighting 8 troops against my 5 and what works against one unit doesn't work against another. No one has released any fighting guides and we don't have any videos teaching us how to do anything. If we did, that might help. But, I don't know what you mean by saying that is shouldn't be hard for us to win in the tournaments. If that is true, then someone needs to teach me a whole lot, because I can't win. I also can't do all the work it takes to give you a good explanation of how the fight went. I can't test a fight on just level 6, I first have to do all the previous levels and that takes a lot of troops.

I don't have tons of supplies so making troops is difficult for me. All the troops I had been saving for months got nerfed in the update and I just can't make more to keep trying. I am a tester with no tools to be able to test.

What do I want?

I want to go back to working on my ranking. That was fun. It was a goal. But since I won't get the expansions now, that part of the game is gone for me. Forever it seems. I don't know that I want to keep playing with no ability to reach a goal. Just watching my rank go down day after day is miserable. Fighting in the world map is gone. Most of the wonders are now useless to me. The magicless academy is even more useless. I am an archmage and it will be very hard to get any of my fellows to stick around facing these conditions.

What could we do? We could have some side game....idk...something like popping bubbles or a candy crush kind of thing or tetris where we could gain points and with those points we could get skins so we could change the colors in our city. Or we could get some points to get new backgrounds. Or get some new buildings. Having contests won't work since we can't do the quests any more...we can't fight 3 fights or do any of that stuff. Or you could have a contest that accounted for all the horrible changes you are dumping on the long term players. Players do like new buildings.

We could have some sort of storage locker so we can change buildings out and work on new cities. Not lose rank, because all the buildings count, but we can try some of the new buildings offered above.

Maybe we could have something we could do together? Something that added to the social aspect of the game. Something to keep the fellowships together? There are so many good ideas in the ideas and suggestions section.

What about a new ranking system for just the free players? Let them have some kind of goal.

What we are facing right now and what we hear loud and clear is this:

As it is you are just inviting players to quit the game. Here's the message this update has sent: you are not allowed more provinces on the map, you are not allowed more expansions (unless you pay for them), you are not allowed to do a lot of tournaments. You know what the players are hearing? I"nno: you are not allowed to play unless you pay, and keep paying over and over or quit as there is nothing here for you"

The only reason you won't completely kill the entire game with this update is because most players don't fight anyway. Most already saw it as way too complicated and hard. But you ARE ending fighting for most players on all levels. Players will walk out. Fellowships will falter. Trading will be more difficult. Players will try new games and tell their friends and their friends will join them and then more will leave. You will lose a lot of players with this. Will the game be better going forward for the new players? idk. I don't think so. The free players just won't stick around. We already have a big problem with so few players sticking around, these changes will only exacerbate that problem.

DeletedUser651

(Sorry that was getting so long).

I have one big question though. The fighting system is supposed to be a 3 part system, right? Is that why we are having so much trouble? Because we don't have any of the additional troops we are supposed to get but don't have? If so, then none of us can give you any useful feedback. I also think it is tragic and dangerous to add this to the live servers without all the pieces of the system. You will be losing players for no good reason whatsoever. It must cost you something to acquire players. Losing players has to cost you money, right? Therefore, it is going to be very costly to release this in 3 parts. You will lose so many people that will never come back, they take players with them, and then you have to wait for a whole bunch of newbies to get advanced enough to buy things like the snails. You may know that more is coming, that might balance some of this out, but the players don't know that and they won't care. They will just leave. If you release the whole thing at once, at least some of them might not leave while they try to get the new troops.

Why not wait until the whole system has been given to all of us on beta, let us test it ALL out, and then release it?

lika1961

Marindor, I really appreciate the fact that you take the time to respond to the current player outrage so patiently.

I am by no means one of the top players, but have earned my stripes over time. I have not bought any expansions and don't often buy diamonds. I suck at fighting, so it was only once my troops had been upgraded quite a lot that it became possible for me to win battles. I don't rush through research or upgrades, so it feels like I would be a fair representation of the average medium level player.

After the changes to the battle system, I now find myself unable to win most fights - even in the tournaments. This is particularly irritating since I have earned many upgrades to my troops which should give me an advantage, right? I like the tournaments because it is a good way to earn relics since I don't like to fight. Now that is no longer the case.

The issues that are mentioned as being the cause for these changes should have been anticipated by the developers. The trend was obvious to some players, so how did the devs not see it? Silly, silly players, you used what we gave you and that turns out to be a bad thing. But we will wait until you are halfway through the Orc chapter before we tell you. Surprise!

For me this is not about not being able to get expansions or buying diamonds or not being able to win fights or long scouting times. It is about working hard to get to a certain level and then finding that the goal posts have been moved. In a random and ridiculous way that makes it difficult to move forward. That feels very much like an invitation to stop playing.

SoggyShorts

Why not wait until the whole system has been given to all of us on beta, let us test it ALL out, and then release it?
It does seem odd to go live with 1/3 of it done. What are the chances that parts 2 and 3 won't have a balance impact on part one?

Beta testers are more than just bug finders, right? General feedback and balance issues are just as important in my opinion.

Deleted User - 60107

For the record, the early battles are relatively well-balanced. And by "early" I mean Chapter I and the first half of Chapter II (I already researched the first Ancient Wonders, and I am now researching the Main Hall upgrade). The first 1 or 2 provinces can be compelted with just the initial 6-unit squads. After that you will need the first squad size upgrade for the next 1 to 3. For the next 2-3 you will need the second one, and then the third squad size upgrade for the last few provinces you will need to reach a province count of 10 and open the next chapter.

In Chapter II, as long as you research Squad Size Upgrade 4 (which makes your squad size 36 per group) you should be able to beat the first few provinces. Currently I have completed 13 Provinces on Beta and the most difficult Province was a Steel province that I scouted by mistake during Chapter I (since we can't cancel scouts). Because I had scouted it so early the most difficult fight there was against an army of 4 squads, each consisting of 35 Thieves (so 5 groups of 36 versus 4 groups of 35). I currently have two more provinces scouted, and in both of them the most difficult battles will be the ones against 4 groups of enemies. So far I have not seen a single case of the enemy having more than 4 squads. Despite having just the weakest elven troops I can win the battles... for now. Does anyone know when I will start seeing enemy armies that have 5 or more squads? Clearly that is when the problems are going to start.

DeletedUser651

Oh, and btw....in case I didn't say it clearly enough....I am incredibly grateful that you have responded to us Marindor! Thank you so very very much. It is wonderful to have a dialog. I am sure I speak for most of us on beta, we really want Elvenar to be a very successful game! That means I want the devs to make a boatload of cash too! lol I just want us to have a good game while they do that. :)

There have been so many suggestions for ways for this company to make a lot of money that doesn't hurt our game....things like selling skins (maybe people would pay to have the same building but in a different color)...selling backgrounds (the waterfall is nice but someone might want something different that they would buy....selling unique buildings once a week...(if the devs don't have time to design them, have a contest and get players to design them for you for free)......

There are all sorts of ways to make money. I know I have seen lots of suggestions in the ideas and suggestions section over the year and a half. You could set up a way for us to trade buildings...then we could have a market and some items would become very rare and some players would be very excited to pay a lot for them. If we could buy buildings for each other as gifts, I know a lot of players would spend money on that. Even if they won't buy for themselves, they will buy for others. Let us buy diamond packages and give them to each other. Christmas is coming!

We could maybe buy new streets...new lampposts....new parks....they can be the same functionality (still make or cost the same culture)...but they would look different.

This is a city builder. People would love to be creative but they can't. They are stuck with the same city with the same numbers of houses, all scrunched together. The saddest thing I have found is that often in a race devs design these gorgeous buildings but we have them up for 3 seconds because we upgrade right past them. The artwork is already there....it would be so cool if once we have researched all the upgrades we could choose which look we like the best.

And sell some unicorns and dragons and rainbows and other cool stuff. As a non paying player I wouldn't feel the least bit unhappy if all these things were being sold. But I am horribly unhappy that I can't have more expansions. See what I mean? One way of making money doesn't make a bunch of players unhappy, but another way of making money runs off tons of people. I would prefer a way for the devs to make money that kept players here. :)

Anyway, I am off on vacation for about a week and don't know if I will be around much. But I mostly just wanted to thank you again Marindor for your responses!!

DeletedUser1548

Oh, and you killed the Magic academy as well, because no fighting, no relics, no relics, you can't keep the MA working. Yes, that same MA that was so important for the game that we were forced to build it! Now it sits idle because we cannot get enough relics to keep it working.
@Marindor , that is another thing you probably should investigate deeper. From the beginning here I could not compete in the Tournaments as I had Treant I facing Golem III, etc. Currently situation is not better and even though I scouted more provinces than you expected I am unable to run MA. I don't have relics.
I am experienced player who got too far and I am unable to make my MA running. Also I often see topics where new players say there is an error as their MA asks e.g for "scrolls" which they have and they still can't run it. They just don't see a difference between "a good" and "a relic". They are stuck and MA itself doesn't give any benefits. Maybe you could add something to it? Like "magic pack" - click it daily to get (most of the time) small reward? It would be then justified to build it. I probably should go to ideas section with it, right? ;)

DeletedUser118

I would definitely support the idea of madzix where squad sizes and the number of different opponents are turned back to being equal to my own, at least in tournaments. As already stated in earlier posts, it would make fights at least a bit easier AND much less complicated for us.

Marindor

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank you for your feedback and let you know it has been noted. Something I can share on it already: Because of it, our development team is looking into the AI in auto-battles to see how we can improve it because indeed, the first levels on tournaments should be winnable with Auto-Combat as well.

One thing I would like to try to make clear is that the Battle Redesign has nothing to do with the company wanting to make money. I understand that it feels that way since a few weeks ago more premium expansions were introduced and now top players are limited on their World Map expansions, but these are totally different issues and the new Battle System is something we have been working on for a very long time, way before these premium expansions were ever introduced. So although I get the feeling, please do know that it's completely unrelated. The Battle Redesign was introduced because of balancing issues (and even bigger issues to come if we didn't do something about it), not to make extra money on premium expansions. :)

@ag123 : You bring up some good suggestions. Could you please put them into a worked out idea and post that in the ideas section, so we can get it processed? It would be a shame if you have a good idea and it would get lost here. We're cleaning up the ideas section now because we'd like the ideas to get processed better and you'd help us a lot by putting your ideas there. Thank you!

And thank you all once again for taking the time to provide us with this feedback :)

DeletedUser1757

mana - magic academy... But then you would need to change stats in early culture buildings.

DeletedUser

Thank you @Marindor for taking all our feedback and passing it on. It is great feeling that the players voices are being heard again.

Now, I get what you are saying, that the battle redesign wasn't implemented to sell expansions, but it is hard to believe, because it seems only the part 1 (the part that blocked us), has been made a priority to be implemented in the game. Like others, I still live in the hope, that part 2 & 3 will help correct the current unbalance, which is why I read with dismay the news that we would get another guest race before these are implemented. It is the fairy units all over again... we are still waiting on those, and frankly, we will now be 2 races ahead of them, it is starting to get ridiculous.

I want to point out to the fact that we are not in the battle redesign thread, we are in fact, in the October Inno Tv discussion thread. Said episode showed us the new guest race, yet, nearly all the posts you see here are concerning the battle redesign and the current game issues, and not the new guest race. Players should be excited about the new guest race, but when you read this thread, what you see is that players couldn't care less about it. And do you know why? Because battling, a core part of the game, is broken, which means, the game is broken. The players want this fixed, and until it is fixed, all the guest races you will throw at us will be met with the same lack of enthusiasm.

Who cares about the new guest race when you feel you can't really play the game? The new guest race should be pushed back, and all the battle redesign should be implemented first, and the issues ironed out. Then we can all enjoy having a new guest race in the game.

Players here on beta are waiting to see what happens, some of them have already told their fs in the live servers that if the battle system goes live as it is, they will quit the game. In the live servers, players are quitting left and right, and its not because of lack of a new guest race because a lot of these players are not even close to being done with the orcs. They are quitting because the gameplay gets more narrow with each update, the players have less and less options in regards on how to play the game, and THAT, it is not fun. It is killing the game, and in loads of fs, the only thing keeping them together are the top players, the players that you want to drive away from the game, and the glimmer of hope that one day things will get better.
Reading the news from beta is depressing, so much so that i have been asked in one of my fs in live, to refrain from mentioning any beta news, so more players don't get discouraged and leave the game. This is how bad it has gotten.

I am one of the players that is done with the orcs, right now, i only have roads to upgrade, nothing more. Yet, I would much prefer to have to wait another month or two for a new guest race and have the battle system fixed, than having the new guest race and have to wait on the battle system.
The battle system is a core mechanic of the game, it ties many of other aspects in the game, and having it broken ultimately breaks the game and sucks the enjoyment out of it.
A new guest race will also make it harder to balance the current issues, because players being affect by them right now will just race through tech once again, gaining squad and unit upgrades, which, hopefully, will allow them to fight a bit again. The problem with that is that it won't solve the underlying issues, just masks them, until the next set of players reaches that point in the game, and faces the same situation.

We need part 2 & 3 of the battle redesigned implemented, so we can test appropriately and judge if we are being too harsh on the devs right now or not. THAT should be made a priority, not another guest race.

DeletedUser1548

I would add that most of the players. Even advanced ones did not finish Orcs yet and they did not see the next guest race coming. They feel they should hurry up and finish the tech tree ASAP. But you know what? Mushrooms still grow soooo slow... Players got stressed and as @madzix said afraid what will soon happen.
Also Player Movement does not work yet. It all looks like total chaos (again).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1627

Okay I don't read all the posts because I think it is not linked with the October Episode...
But I have a question really important: when will the new guest race come in our cities? :)
There is 3 week we are waiting for, and I can't wait anymore :p

Heymrdiedier

Okay I don't read all the posts because I think it is not linked with the October Episode...
But I have a question really important: when will the new guest race come in our cities? :)
There is 3 week we are waiting for, and I can't wait anymore :p
3 weeks? the episode was 1 week ago? we are still the start of oktober? :)