• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

little bee

So only solution i see: we all just stop doing the researchtree, and at some point their data will tell them we aren't doing them anymore, and then they will wonder why.
It should suffice, if everyone in chapter 16 and chapter 17 does concistently worse in the tournament because of the penalty.

Deleted User - 81190

It should suffice, if everyone in chapter 16 and chapter 17 does concistently worse in the tournament because of the penalty.
Somehow you assume that IG cares about that.

And here is some anecdote. While I've seen complaints about this whole thing since the beginning, I've never seen as many high level players actually quit in-game as I've seen in the last few weeks. We're talking multiple players in #1 FSs, players with 3m+ points etc. We're talking high commitment here. This is not talking about quitting, they've actually stopped logging in, gave up all their tradeable resources etc. As in done for real.

I think a lot of players were waiting and hoping that something will be changed, but are finally giving in, and it looks like an avalanche. Numbing grind of Chapter 17 only exacerbated the issue. And once a few players in a FS leave, it just accelerates. I think this is finally happening.

SoggyShorts

It should sufficee, if everyone in chapter 16 and chapter 17 does concistently worse in the tournament because of the penalty.
No, you're thinking like Lukas, and it's wrong.

For example, he said that "Players with several diamond expansions and high wonder levels are doing better than players without."
Duh! Of course, they will because that pretends that only those 2 variables exist.

Sure, if everyone does worse in chapter 17 than in chapter 15 they could see the problem, but other variables will change the outcome.
Players will obviously not just go from chapter 15 to 17 with zero other changes. They will also increase the levels of the good wonders over time, especially when at the end of the chapters with no techs left to do.

You (inno) have to account for all parts of the formula to make a comparison, anything else is dishonest.

E.G.
Chapter 16 start
Level 11 every wonder
vs
Chapter 17 end
Same wonders

The one at the end of chapter 17 is undeniably in a worse position for the tournament & spire.
But what really happens is:
Chapter 17 end
Same wonders Add 10+ levels to each of the military wonders
Then Lukas will see this change and say "See? The red player is doing more than the green player so all is well."
This fails to make a fair comparison! You can't compare red and green chapters if you change wonder levels.
You have to allow for the 4th option:

Chapter 16 start
Level 11 every wonder Add 10+ levels to each of the military wonders

Purple is by far the best of the 4 options, and THAT is the problem that they have yet to acknowledge.

edeba

And here is some anecdote. While I've seen complaints about this whole thing since the beginning, I've never seen as many high level players actually quit in-game as I've seen in the last few weeks. We're talking multiple players in #1 FSs, players with 3m+ points etc. We're talking high commitment here. This is not talking about quitting, they've actually stopped logging in, gave up all their tradeable resources etc. As in done for real.

I think a lot of players were waiting and hoping that something will be changed, but are finally giving in, and it looks like an avalanche. Numbing grind of Chapter 17 only exacerbated the issue. And once a few players in a FS leave, it just accelerates. I think this is finally happening.
I just quit my live game and I turned my game on beta way down a couple weeks ago, but the game just hasn't been working for me since this new tournament and I am done.

You are 100% correct in your assessment. This is no longer the game captured me. C'est la vie... I am seriously ill and I would have like to have just played my game and taken my mind off things, but I just don't enjoy the game any more because of how they've destroyed it.

Enevhar Aldarion

Well, since the forced change from Flash to HTML5 has been happening at the same time as all the other stuff, you have to take into account players quitting because they can no longer load the game or don't like HTML5 or whatever. We have no way of knowing what percent of abandoned cities are from this, but it does factor in.

SoggyShorts

We have no way of knowing what percent of abandoned cities are from this, but it does factor in.
These top players (Like #2 winyandor top 10 USA @edeba) are quite vocal about why they are leaving.
If HTML is the reason why a single 3,000,000 point player has quit I'd be shocked. I mean most of them have spent 1,000s on a free game... ya think they might have a PC that can handle HTML? :oops:

PaNonymeB

It seems to me that it is people with a second fire bird that saying the difficulty is reasonable. The fire bird is the most out of balance thing they've done in the game, and allowing people to have two, or three is nuclear out of balance.
I don't think it's people with two fire birds, because they are really few. The other thing that can make as big of a difference as fire phoenix is 100% cooldown (or 82%, if you pass every 3 hours in the days that matter). It allows to place boosters so tht they last two weeks, allowing to have twice more boosters. This allows to have health boost over 100%, which is very important as the difficulty increase per province is way slower after it hits ×2. And there's also manual fighting that can make a significant difference.

PaNonymeB

The goal is to knock out going forever, so make the increase less to province 50, and then increase there. I think province 50 level 6 should be 200% difficulty, and difficulty should be increasing by 3-4% per province after this. Province 30 level 6 should be 160% difficulty and difficulty should go up by 2% through these provinces to province 50.
Agreed. That would be actual uncapped difficulty.

Jammin

Huhu everyone, first of all I wish you Ms. edeba, get well soon and good health, I hope you will get better soon. I don't know you but I will miss you should you give up the game. I hope you will sleep over your decision and will be back tomorrow :)

I had actually decided not to write anything more about the tournament because too many are reading along here. It works for me and I don't like Competitors, the more people cry the better for me ... sry but when it comes to winning I'm the devil :)

Well, in order not to be completely off topic, there is a little brain teaser, if you win diamonds in the tower or in the academy and do not want to invest them in magical buildings, for example because you already have enough magical ones or you will get them out of the tower at some point. Likewise, you don't want to collect nuts like a squirrel to buy an extension that costs 10k + and punished you.
What else could you do with diamonds to have a significant increase in performance in the tournament?
Is a second or third fire phoenix really necessary?
I even know of someone who quit the game, because he was getting too much free diamonds, and was frustrated he had nothing to spend it on, that wouldnt hurt him.

Last edited:

PaNonymeB

Well, in order not to be completely off topic, there is a little brain teaser, if you win diamonds in the tower or in the academy and do not want to invest them in magical buildings, for example because you already have enough magical ones or you will get them out of the tower at some point. Likewise, you don't want to collect nuts like a squirrel to buy an extension that costs 10k + and punished you.
What else could you do with diamonds to have a significant increase in performance in the tournament?
Is a second or third fire phoenix really necessary?
And then, it all comes down to luck.

Lelanya

I lose a high level developed player about every other week, between my two fellowships. I have yet more who've come back after a break and refuse to return to us.
@edeba, I am sorry to hear you are so ill. You have my support.

Heymrdiedier

Funny that this thread is still a hot topic even 7 month after its release.
So it doesn't surprise me at all that players are now still quitting over this. They said they would look into the data they collect to see if changes are needed, and after 7 months (of silence) it seems clear that they aren't coming. So those people who still held on to the game in hopes inno would still improve this change, are now coming to realize, it won't happen. So quitters are no surprise.

But I'm pretty sure the collected data will show that the amount of player who quit are not higher then usual, so there's also no problem there ;)

CrazyWizard

The only use of diamonds that give a significant increase in tourney performance is gambling in MA for expiring buildings recipes.

Well... I still got some way to go, 2 more premium expansions (has always been a wish for me to reach that stage) and then some premium buildings, after that it will indeed become my primary spending place..

In fact, if I ever reach that stage it might be a reason again for me to go forward in the tech tree as at that stage I can counter the downsides with more combat buildings. (I hope)

But thats future thinking... as there seems to be another chapter in the works which means there will be more premium expansions soon and with the increase it becomes quite difficult to find enough diamonds to collect them.

Karvest

Premium expansions are not increasing your tournament performance after some point.
And that point is passed for all players who are in chapter 17 now as they used a lot of non-premium expansions while it was not a bad move for their cities, and any placed expansion would just lower their tournament ability as there is nothing to place on them to overcome impact.

CrazyWizard

Premium expansions are not increasing your tournament performance after some point.
And that point is passed for all players who are in chapter 17 now as they used a lot of non-premium expansions while it was not a bad move for their cities, and any placed expansion would just lower their tournament ability as there is nothing to place on them to overcome impact.

True, and I haven't placed the non premium expansion I got when the new chapter came out. but all premium has been somewhat of a personal goal I worked at for a long long time. so it's the only "sin" I am still working on. I have only unlocked the first research of the last chapter since that one unlocked all the premium buildings and I thought that was "worth it".

Heymrdiedier

True, and I haven't placed the non premium expansion I got when the new chapter came out. but all premium has been somewhat of a personal goal I worked at for a long long time. so it's the only "sin" I am still working on. I have only unlocked the first research of the last chapter since that one unlocked all the premium buildings and I thought that was "worth it".
It's not your only sin, you also have a lot of wonders who do not help your tournament performance at all aswel... :)
But yeah many of us were well past the point of being able to increase the tournament performance by doing anything in the game, when this change came out. So at this point im going: this account is screwed anyway, I'm just gonna build all wonders now and get them to max and try to get as high as possible on ranking. so extra expansions doesn't matter can be added aswell :p (And eventually this account will become the tounament leech of my BS instead of the low ranked players who can hardly score tournament points)

Last edited by a moderator:

maxiqbert

even with all penalties maxed out, you'll still be able to go for 2000+ points, doing just the first 8 provinces (easy in combat, so no reason not be able to).

Last edited:

Heymrdiedier

even with all penalties maxed out, you'll still be able to go for 2000+ points, doing just the first 8 provinces (easy in combat, so no reason not be able to).
sure, but at some point there will be a 6280 minimum in the top notch fellowships, im sure (to get all reward chests).
And while that's still possible, its not cheap when you have all penalties maxed out.

CrazyWizard

It's not your only sin, you also have a lot of wonders who do not help your tournament performance at all aswel... :)
But yeah many of us were well past the point of being able to increase the tournament performance by doing anything in the game, when this change came out. So at this point im going: fuck it, this account is screwed anyway, I'm just gonna build all wonders now and get them to max and try to get as high as possible on ranking. so extra expansions doesn't matter can be added aswell :p (And eventually this account will become the tounament leech of my BS instead of the low ranked players who can hardly score tournament points)

I am not currently leveling my wonders anymore, so no sin there.

Wow you're setting the bar really low.
I have never done 2000 points

lowest I ever got is I think between 3000-4000 when the toernaments where introduced many many years ago. orc chapter no special buildings 8 baatles per province en 16 hour wait time between rounds.

For people who enjoy the tournaments 2000 points is the same as not playing at all.