• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

SoggyShorts

ou GET punished in tournament (and spire) for progressing your city.
But does anyone aside from the top 10-15% ever notice?
Most of the 100 pages in this tread so far, revolve around how bad/broken the tournament is towards topplayers.
Some of us are trying to help the 99% in the future.
E.G. I personally am getting way more points and KP and everything than before, but I'm very unhappy with the formula change because I can see the big picture and envision the future health of the game.

To answer your question yes, eventually players outside the top 10-15% will progress to chapter ~16 or place their ~140th expansion or gain their ~300th AW level and then slowly start to notice that their stash of troops is lower each and every week.
Then a couple of months go by and they post on the forums "Are the tournaments getting harder?"

When an issue affects old players it affects all players eventually.

little bee

When an issue affects old players it affects all players eventually.
No, it does not.
First of all there are plenty of players that quit long before chapter 16. And yes, some of them are paying players, so please don't start arguing that these players don't matter. Secondly many players don't do more than 10 provinces even when they could probably do more. They will never be hurt by the tournament changes either.

Please don't missunderstand me. I am not saying that it is allright for progression to hurt your tournament score. It is not. But the players on this forum simply do not represent a mayority now or ever. Nor do we need to. Our concerns are no less legitimate, even if only a minority will ever notice.

Jammin

No, it does not.
First of all there are plenty of players that quit long before chapter 16. And yes, some of them are paying players, so please don't start arguing that these players don't matter. Secondly many players don't do more than 10 provinces even when they could probably do more. They will never be hurt by the tournament changes either.

Please don't missunderstand me. I am not saying that it is allright for progression to hurt your tournament score. It is not. But the players on this forum simply do not represent a mayority now or ever. Nor do we need to. Our concerns are no less legitimate, even if only a minority will ever notice.
It may and is the case that the players in this forum do not represent the majority, but Elvenar is not only played on the beta server.
There are many servers and many forums and hundreds of pages of feedback on a problem with the formula in each forum.
All of these players in these forums still do not represent the majority, but together they represent a large number of players who indicate a problem.
Just because the majority have no idea or in your eyes will never reach or want to reach this point (no idea how you can know what someone wants in 1-2 years)
Doesn't mean that this problem, which is being discussed in all forums, doesn't matter.

SoggyShorts

First of all there are plenty of players that quit long before chapter 16. And yes, some of them are paying players, so please don't start arguing that these players don't matter. Secondly many players don't do more than 10 provinces even when they could probably do more. They will never be hurt by the tournament changes either
No argument needed, players who quit obviously don't matter.

I'm not sure if you are actually not grasping the concept or are intentionally not understanding it.. perhaps I need to rephrase it?
"Problems which affect progress affect everyone who makes progress...which the devs should hope is everyone."
. But the players on this forum simply do not represent a mayority now or ever.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Many forum users bring the concerns of their entire fellowships with them, and others are even able to view things from entirely different perspectives than their own(gasp!)-- they, therefore, are able to represent the entire playerbase, and not just hemselves.

Last edited:

little bee

No argument needed, players who quit obviously don't matter.
By that argument no player matters, because everyone will quit eventually. In fact, by your argument, players that ragequit over the tournament changes would not matter, so there would be no need to placate them. But fortunatly players who only play for a few month or years do matter.

@Jammin That is literally what I said: We do not represent a mayority, but we do represent an important part of the player base. So our concerns can and should be taken seriously, even when we don't pretend to represent everyone.

ErestorX

If you want to have fun in this game the choices are:
1. stop at a certain point with the techtree and score very well in tournaments

Thats what I did - stopped after the first chapter 17 research, because stopping after the *** Frog was not possible anymore. And yes, the new tournament was fun - I managed to win 5 out of 9 and the worst result was 3rd place so far. My fellowship managed chest 19 every time with results even higher than in the past, beaten only by a polish fellowship. But we paid a high price - several people wrecked their wonders and 3 quit playing.

The catch is - the fun won't last long. The tournament will be the same every time if you don't research (and don't upgrade your wonders) anymore.

2. be content with lower scores and keep developing in more chapters
Yes, several members of my fellowship are following this path. But so far none of them has fun in chapter 17. The only reason to do this is the hope for a more interesting chapter 18.

3. do not read this thread 'cause you will get depressed

Not really, there are way more intelligent posts here than on the german forum. And it is nice to read that other fellowships struggle with similar problems as mine. Furthermore it is possible to criticize Inno here without being banned or threats of being bannned next time.

Aeva

Not really, there are way more intelligent posts here than on the german forum. And it is nice to read that other fellowships struggle with similar problems as mine. Furthermore it is possible to criticize Inno here without being banned or threats of being bannned next time.
I don't object the intelligent arguments nor the repeative nature of the suggestions to better the game. Found some helpfull advice myself.
However I think it is not very usefull to keep on whining. There is a difference.

Some people get very unhappy and sort of depressed overhere. To them I say: don't read this thread. It is not helping to have fun which is what a game should be about.

Mykan

4. Keep this discussion going in the hopes that 101 pages of analysis and begging will get the devs attention even if 100 pages did not.

Sadly I don't think there is a hope of that. Take a look at EN forum under community corner>news from elvenar

What I read is there is no problem. Just like combat on world map for early chapters is not an issue either :p Just because people complain or players recognise a particular scenario does not mean the developers will.

Edit: I am a new member again :D

CrazyWizard

Sadly I don't think there is a hope of that. Take a look at EN forum under community corner>news from elvenar

What I read is there is no problem. Just like combat on world map for early chapters is not an issue either :p Just because people complain or players recognise a particular scenario does not mean the developers will.

Edit: I am a new member again :D

welcome back newbie ;)
Yup that post was cringeworthy.

Deleted User - 89508

It's obvious... its Stated.., Lukas (=Inno) looks at the game in terms of Trends.
Trends being that "Top Players" still out-Perform Lower ones? SO, lukas and inno are still happy?

But PLAYERS.. (not Looking for Trends!!).. see that Top Players cause harm to themselves Via any Achievement at all...
AND PLAYERS, not far behind, are best-off by making No Advancement at all, (Even if they do not yet understand)...
And, PLAYERS just behind that... likewise, not yet aware of how their Progress will Damage them...

Players toward the middle.. probably feeling Good.. or Better than good?
Seems like they're just swinging their Bic Lighter at the Thread holding the Sword of Damoclese....
=Things are good... until they arent...

(yes, google "damoclese" if not familiar)... .
..regarding advancement, thats where we all are... ALL of us.. top to bottom...

edeba

Something totally missed with this trash the tournament choice is that it also harms the FA. My live FS just had a discussion about the next FA and universally everyone has reported in no interest in FA and struggling with the resources and space. So, I know the changes have made it that I no longer really like the tournament, but how tight it has constantly made game resources has turned the idea of doing a strong FA back into gag reflex.

When you kill two birds with one stone, you are supposed to be trying to do something good, not something destructive, and turning people off, which is very apparent, is simply going to lead to much faster attrition in the game.

Going for an Edsel award is stupid idea.

edeba

Tournament needs to be fixed. AW penalty is too high. Penalty for premium expansions should be eliminated. Difficulty curve is too steep. Catering requires too much goods, mana, orcs, coin and supplies. Fixing the troop size, assuming it is tied to the catering costs should also fix this.

CrazyWizard

Tournament needs to be fixed. AW penalty is too high. Penalty for premium expansions should be eliminated. Difficulty curve is too steep. Catering requires too much goods, mana, orcs, coin and supplies. Fixing the troop size, assuming it is tied to the catering costs should also fix this.

I do not agree with the difficulty, that was part of the change and that change ain't bad for the game itself.

What I would love to see is that the rewards for province 9+ should start at provincie 1. this would make it much more interesting for many players.
Now the tournaents "begin" at 9+, a stage most won't even reach and therefore not learn why it's that good.

Lelanya

Fellowship filter tab has appeared in mobile trader at long last! This has been a long anticipated improvement for some of the issues on the mobile platform, but there has been no credit taken anywhere.
Edit: this started out in "Undocumented Changes"

Last edited:

Maillie

I do not agree with the difficulty, that was part of the change and that change ain't bad for the game itself.
Anything that creates a hardship for the long-term paying customers in order to make it easier for the non-paying users "ain't bad for the game itself." Really? I find it difficult to follow that logic. People in early and middle chapters still wander off to new games; but now, so do the paying ones in the late chapters. That's just my opinion.
Tech tree penalty is the worst, progressing past ch15 makes no sense if you want to be competitive...
And how long does a person want to stop and spend their time clicking for no reason? Putting kp into Ancient Wonders seems to be about as bad as progressing. Where do you use what you get? I ran into this issue at the end of Chapter 16. And no, I have no interest in starting a new city now, knowing I'm going to run into another brick wall sooner or later.

Karvest

Difficulty (enemySS/ownSS) curve is the same for all players. And I'm agree with @CrazyWizard, that part of tourney changes is not bad. Those who where used to almost free KP may argue with that, but that's a reasonable change if Inno wanted to limit the amount of KP gained from tourneys.
The other part (base tourney SS formula) is very bad as it turns any progress into regress at some point. And yes, I'm close to that point too.