• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Discussion] The Solution: Player Movement

DeletedUser867

From your "Current" example, that would lead to the following "New" example:
A - H - B - F - C - E - i - D - g- g - g - g - g - g - g - g - g - g
It's not obvious how you managed to jam two extra cities in between A-B-C, because the first Goldmine was in slot 4.

But I DO very much agree with the Fringe to the Middle inversion, so long as it's an occasional process and you hinted at weekly. I was afraid that we'd end up with some sort of cascading effect, whereby nearly everybody would have ended up moving every week.
  • There's going to be some turmoil for the first few weeks REGARDLESS of how the initial adjustment is handled
  • If a market is shrinking, then folks on the fringes will become MORE AND MORE isolated, so moving the outermost of the qualifying cites into the interior sort of "makes up" for them being stuck in a neighborhood that was slowly deteriorating.
  • If a market is growing, the folks on the fringes won't BE on the fringes for very long anyway, because they'll have immigrants out beyond them.
  • Either way, you need to keep the interior of the map healthy, so the familiar spiral algorithm should serve us well.
If ever you feel the need for a SECONDARY sort, let's say that 100 people "should" be moved, within that group you could sequence the moves by the most recent Tournament Scores. Players who WERE interested in Tournaments would thereby tend to be clustered nearer to one another.

If ever you feel the need to move safe harbor cities out of the center of the map, it would be easy enough to move them out to a Ring 400+ Oort Cloud, where nobody cares. If they were to become active again, then they'd be pulled into the center of the map, simply because they WERE distant. Technically it would be more elegant to archive them, and retrieve/"move" them into an appropriate spot if they showed up again, but so long as they're not underfoot I don't much care whether they're on the map or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser118

I have to admit I like this idea of moving ppl from the outside in first. As someone playing almost at the center I'd be very happy to have some more active ppl around me, which I can only benefit from. :)

DeletedUser724

Can any 1 tell me
1. Where is the center of the map ? give me the player's name so I can jump to see...hope i am the center < I know i am the center of my map when i choose map, no idea whether it is the same map >
2. any method to measure ...how far i am away from center ??

DeletedUser1095

If we have a scout en route during the move, will the scout and his/her progress be beamed to the new location as well?

DeletedUser1095

They haven't thought of that. ;-)

Well ... will having a scout en route when the move happens prevent an otherwise-eligible player from being moved?
Will the move proceed but the scout's progress (and money) be lost?
Will everything be preserved perfectly and beamed to the new location?
Will we all spiral down a wormhole?

DeletedUser118

In my opinion having a scout running should prevent someone from being moved. That way we wouldn't need to think of something like that. :cool:

DeletedUser283

then you stand at the center of the map, or very close to it :)

DeletedUser1095

In my opinion having a scout running should prevent someone from being moved.
That way we wouldn't need to think of something like that. :cool:

I know what you mean, except that it would be good to know that before we send our next couple of scouts!

DeletedUser

Why wouldn't the scout just move? From a programming perspective, it's code attached to your own city processes - not attached to the scouted city. yes?

DeletedUser1095

I don't know, bobbipiazza - that's why I'm asking, and very much hoping that Muf-Muf will find out and pass along the answer.

DeletedUser1095

Will having a scout en route when the move happens prevent an otherwise-eligible player from being moved?
Will the move proceed but the scout's progress (and money) be lost?
Will the scout and his/her progress be preserved perfectly and beamed to the new location?
Will we all spiral down a wormhole if someone has a scout out while the Big Player Move is taking place?

Muf-Muf, is there an Estimated Arrival Time for an answer to the question
of whether/how having a scout en route when the move happens will affect things?
I need to either get my scout going now, or not, depending on the answer.

DeletedUser503

I am glad this is being done and I will accept the place I am given, as it is being done in the most fair way
that is possible, I believe. Keeping our boosted goods boosted is the most important aspect to me and that
is what is being done. Should be interesting come late Monday to see the new arrangement. Thank you.

DeletedUser1681

Hmmm, let's have a look.

I started just 3-4 weeks ago and this Manfred chap seems to be not that far off. I haven't changed the default move option but as I already am very near the assumed center of the map don't really expect to be moved.
I haven't scouted that far yet but looking at the map there are some probable "goldmine" locations, but not that many and none in my scouted area so possibly 2-3 new neighbours which might affect the trade in coming weeks.
My close neighbourhood is nicely habited, and though there seems to be some sleeper cities I've understood that inactives won't be moved away, so nothing happening there either.

So basically it seems that for me there's not much happening, like looking some distant fireworks and listening to the buzz on the forum.

DeletedUser594

Hope it works well, as we've had a fair amount of bugs on them maps!;)