• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Discussion] Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign

DeletedUser651

And what about tutorials? We need those or people will never have any chance.

Dony

King of Bugs
Sorry if I haven't replied to that suggestion, but I can tell you that we're working on that and expect to introduce a solution for this shortly (I think the current planning is version 1.18, but that is subject to change). Thank you!
i dont know what you actually doing but ill give suggestion here regardless, having simple bar with colours as green bar = easy encounter, yellow bar middle encounter, red bar = hard encounter in every negotiation screen would help some people i guess, it can even go as 5 colours if you like, this should be understandable even for people who dont read texts.

DeletedUser651

It is a fluid thing, so videos would really be great. Play a battle and narrate what should be done. Link to the video. No one wants to read a ten volume set on the topic. But it would certainly help if the wiki had more info. This is anemic.

https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Battle

I like that color idea! Absolutely. That is huge with language issues.

But for heaven's sake....make most of the battles winnable...or people won't play this game. And I want more people to play this game.

DeletedUser736

It is a fluid thing, so videos would really be great. Play a battle and narrate what should be done. Link to the video. No one wants to read a ten volume set on the topic. But it would certainly help if the wiki had more info. This is anemic.

https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Battle

I like that color idea! Absolutely. That is huge with language issues.

But for heaven's sake....make most of the battles winnable...or people won't play this game. And I want more people to play this game.
I see. That's pretty much how I feel when I am reading a textbook. there is an overload of information and it's not obvious how this all ties togheter. There is no forced first battle, where you actually have to click where the dev want you to? I don't know if my tought is clear. Usually, strategy game tutorial are a battle where everything is fixed. The game will tell you "move your archer there" and you HAVE to comply. This is usually how you learn the ropes in a strategy game, with a fixed battle that makes you try out all the different option, so you can understand how all the different concepts tie togheter.

DeletedUser1548

@Marindor , do you think also about this Tournaments 16h timers?
I'm asking this because you wish to give us challenging battles in 4th-6th star and to win this manually fighting we need lots of time. When I try to get to 6th star I need to play one day very, very early and at the same day very, very late. If I wanted to fight this manually it wouldn't be even possible: I need to fulfill my "day duties" and get enough sleep to be able to function next day. Due to lack of time catering and auto-fight are only options.

Timers itself cut off most of the people trying to get six starts. Another challenge and higher catering costs just finish the job. Also provinces are getting harder very quickly so it's getting more and more difficult to get any reward by fighting in Tournaments with your neighbours. It looks like one rebalancing change made deeper imbalance in different area.

PS. Off-topic but about timers: what about NH 23h timers? It would be much better to have it as "once every 24h" (edit1) "once a day" without hour restriction. For people working on shifts current system is problematic just as Tournament timers for all of us. And there is no really point in having it like that. Or is it?
(edit2) You know Neopets, right? ;) Everything there resets on 00:00 and that's perfect. You can do your "dailies" at different times every day and don't need to be stressed your timers will break if you come back home later from work, or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

PS. Off-topic but about timers: what about NH 23h timers? It would be much better to have it as "once every 24h". For people working on shifts current system is problematic just as Tournament timers for all of us. And there is no really point in having it like that. Or is it?
I for one love the 23h timer, since FS and neighbors take 15 minutes (more if I see something shiny and get distracted) it means I can do them the same time every day, rahter than a little later each day until its just too late and I have to skip a day. 24h timers would be awful

DeletedUser1548

@SoggyShorts , I meant "once a day". Hour should not matter but you're right I need to rephrase that.
I don't know why I wrote it like that. ;)

SoggyShorts

@SoggyShorts , I meant "once a day". Hour should not matter but you're right I need to rephrase that.
oooooh so it would reset whenever the server says a day is over? Like with getting 3 chests a day while visiting. Sure that could work, wouldnt really change anything for me =)
Tournament times are rough though. I just started giving up on the 6th star, and going wider instead of deep.

Deleted User - 60107

Some feedback about Treants:
Battle9a.png
Treants versus Canonneers in an encounter that gives 3 points (so pretty easy - I had kept in incomplete just for this test).

Enemy moves first, so here's how things are when my turn comes:
Battle9b.png

Seven turns later:
Battle9c.png

The above battle can be summed up with just two words:
- slooooooow
- BORING!!!
I could have sent just 2 squads (one to take the hits and one to kill the enemy) and it would have taken just as long due to the terrain.

Now let's try using 5 squads of Archers instead. At the end of my first turn this is what the battle looks like:
Battle9d.png

Next turn:
Battle9e.png

End result:
Battle9f.png

That's it. Just 2 (TWO) turns. A lot faster and a lot less boring compared to using Treants.

Deleted User - 60107

Now let's try Treants versus Light Melee. This battle is in the next Ring, as I get 4 points for the encounter.
Battle10a.png
Battle10b.png
Only one enemy will be able to hit my Treants, giving me a bit of an advantage.

At the end of battle:
Battle10c.png

Same battle but using Sword Dancers instead:
Battle10d.png
Battle10e.png
Battle10f.png

Overall a worse result.

Treants are slow (not just movement but also initiative) and not really good agaisnt Light Melee, despite what the combat pentagon says. They have just 10% defense bonus and no attack bonus against Light Melee. Their main advantage is that they have high HP and high Damage.

I'm really not impressed by the new Treants. They were not that great before, but now they are even worse. They make for slow and boring battles. I hope they get some sort of improvement in the future.

P.S.: While doing my Treant tests I saw the description of the Orc Warrior unit:
OrcWarrior.png

Really? "Genetic experiments"? On "voluntary" orcs? I guess you guys did not get enough complaints about the "orc slavery" thing...

DeletedUser1548

@Dony 's bar idea is really great!
It should be even easy to implement, I believe, as it requires number of provinces parameter. It is known info.
And it would be really nice to have world map coloured that way. Provinces edges in different colours, as: "you're too far" are black, "you can manage but it will be tough" red, and "you're where you should be" green.

DeletedUser1657

@Dony 's bar idea is really great!
And it would be really nice to have world map coloured that way. Provinces edges in different colours, as: "you're too far" are black, "you can manage but it will be tough" red, and "you're where you should be" green.

This was something Varron (US forum) did up. While an in-game overlay of something similar would be awesome this was one attempt at helping people understand the system that is now in play. (sorry if it is a bit small)
Combat_Difficulty.jpg

DeletedUser1549

can some one clarify what affects tournamente dificulty?, the number of scouted provinces or the number of finished provinces?

Deleted User - 60107

Combat difficulty for tournaments depends only on distance from your town.

DeletedUser1767

I really like this idea, but it would probably be better implemented with three levels of dark/light shading, because otherwise people with red/green colour blindness might have trouble.

Marindor

Hi guys, I promised to get back to you about this:

Distance is indeed a factor in the difficulty of a tournament:
- The further, the bigger the squad size (and therefore: The bigger your own squad size, since that is a percentage of the squad size of your enemy).
- The further away, the higher the level of the units in the tournament province.