• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Autumn Zodiac

DeletedUser332

@Marindor Thanks for the insight. I have to say though, if the goal here is to still limit how much players are realistically able to obtain from events, I think we'd all be better off if we went back to the event model we had prior to Mermaids where the quests had a definite end point. You'd probably keep the tasks randomized since that achieves one of your goals of limiting how much someone can pre-plan for the event by looking at a quest list, but you can still give us just a specific number of quests in total and once we complete them, that's it for the event. This can go along with bringing back the daily quests, or the currency from those can be rolled into the other quests instead.

Somewhat related, I feel one big flaw with quests in general is a significant overemphasis on T1 goods. This is probably because they're the only goods pretty much every player has access to, but we now have a total of 6 different tiers of goods, along with up to 3 special resources depending on the chapter of the player. Is there a way to introduce quests for the players that have access to these resources as well? As it stands, any manufactory that isn't Marble, Steel, or Planks is completely worthless for events and I'd like to see that changed if possible.

Karvest

Just make t1 quests ask not for t1 but for any tier production, and not "produce X 3h T1 OR X 3h T2 OR X 3h T3 in the factory current level", but "produce X 3h in ANY factories of current level" to keep cities balanced tier-wise.

Note that event buildings that can produce different goods for different players and someone can have descent T3 production without T3 factories while other one can have same picture for T1. Forcing all of them to build a bunch of additional T1 for events would either make their T1 sets/mermaids useless or create significant disbalance between tiers server-wise.

Lovec Krys

@Marindor Please consider also change of the 24h workshop quest.
Having to use your main workshops for inefficient 24h production is gonna damage many cities' supply production.
Not to mention, that many others will simply give up of the event because of that.

For example, you can add an OR with greater number of toolboxes from any workshop level:
Like: 3 Toolboxes in high level workshops OR 9 toolboxes in any level workshops.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 56274

@Lovec Krys The 3 toolboxes I don't see as too problematic - however I agree that 5 is a big much because that is very likely the majority of one's workshops.

@Marindor As I have said both here and on the US forums, I like the theory, I find the implementation of the new event quest system to be extremely flawed.

The main issues I have
1) Arbitrary assignment of currency - Sorry, but quests that require more time, goods, etc should grant higher currency than quests that are relatively effortless.
2) Quest scaling - certain quests have a greater impact and cost both during the event and long term at various levels
In Chapter 6/7 yes, 7 encounters is relatively easy having it a multitude of times over the course of an event means that I may be overextended which escalates the costs of the current and future events. And quite simply 35 (9 tourney provinces) is not something that I can manage over and over again in one set at my current level. I know for end of chapter players it is inconsequential, however for lower levels it is an issue.
3) Certain quest types should be limited as they have longer impacts than simply the event - these include Scouting, Gain Relics, Gain CC, Complete Provinces, Solve Encounter, Gain Spell Fragment, Gain Vision Vapor. These are all high cost quests, some such as gain relics, scouting, complete provinces and solve encounters have impacts on the player longer term.
4) No way to skip a problematic quest - Some quests such as Gain CC, a player can run out of resources to effectively complete. Once this happens there is no way to progress and given the number of events that have required these types of events, many lower and mid level players are likely to run into this issue.
5) Narrow path of quest completion - I have no objection to the production quests, however, I would like to see changes implemented to BUY KP, Produce goods, Recruit troops. You have given us many wonderful event buildings such as Carting Libraries, Ancient Wonders, and others that produce goods, KP, and supplies, but if they do not count toward the supply, KP, gain good quests, you are eliminating one of the joys of having them.
6) Quest escalation - certain things like solve encounters and gain relics leap from 2 to 5 to 7 and this gets to be too much on an already high cost quest.

One of the other items that I think the developers need to address is their vision of events.
Quote simply - define a couple broad category of player types - very casual (a couple times a week), casual (twice a day), determined (several times a day, maybe using boosts or diamonds), and hard core (logged in a lot and purchases the building, using a lot of boosts, diamonds etc to accelerate play or has designed city to maximize event participation)
Combine the player type with where they are chapter-wise, low, mid, upper

My expectations is that a low very casual player might get 1-2 evolutions, a mid very casual would get 3-4, a high very casual 5-6. None of these would fully evolve a building.
A determined player at any level should at minimum completely evolve 1 building and be partway on a second.
A Hard Core player at Mid/Upper levels likely will have 2 buildings completely evolved and potentially the third.

Okay suggestions on how to address the issues:
1) Currency assignments - on the US forums I did a more in depth suggestion but the core breakdown is determine the relative effort and cost of a quest.
These break down into free/low/medium/high/very high - effort represents the time so something like give neighborly help is a free/free quest. Where as Gain CC is a High/Very High quest. Quests on the low end of the spectrum occur more frequently, but have a relatively low currency gain (10 or so depending), expensive quests such as complete province, complete 7 encounters, gain CC, gain vision vapor, gain relics, could be giving 50 or more currency. For workshop quests, 5 5 minute productions gives less at scale than 25 5 minute production. Each time tier and factory count increases the currency awarded so that players are not penalized as much by receiving a 9 hour or 24 hour quest in comparison to a player who has received a 3 hour or 1 hour quest. The intent behind this is to keep thing in scale toward a relative currency gain based on player type vs. luck based. Currently if a player is very lucky and gets 3 relatively easy quests they can amass currency very quickly - which is part of what we saw with the Mermaid event.

2) Quest Scaling - One of the reasons I emphasize this is certain quests have harsher impacts at various levels. For a low (1-5) chapter player, if all the provinces they have left are 'very hard' the costs of goods and troops to complete 7 encounters can be prohibitive especially if they recur too often. For upper tier players, the time it takes to scout means they have 3 days downtime in the event and increases the likelihood of non-participation. There is a certain amount of scaling with the gain supply/gold/good quests, but I would like to see some further customization. The quests that low, mid, and upper tier chapters receive may be different. Lower 1-5 may receive more gain good, chapters that have guest races could have produce a specific guest race good if it is unlocked, or T2 & T3 goods. This allows more variation.

3) Limits on certain quests - Some of the very high cost quests (such as any that require relics) can very adversely impact a player or completely block them. Gain CC, Gain Relic, VV, Spell Fragments, Solve Encounters, Buy KP & Scout Province should all be fairly limited on how often they can occur. Some of these are high cost due to requiring relics or limited resources to complete, Buy KP does not reset so has an ever increasing cost to the player to complete unless they spend diamonds which may ultimately be the intent, solve encounters & scout provinces has ramifications beyond the current event if they occur too frequently as previously stated. Implementing a counter on the more problematic quests so that they cannot occur more than once in every 20 or 50 quests would alleviate seeing these quests far too often.

4) Skipping quests - I know that it seems like this would make it far too easy, but there are ways to implement a skip such as a 12 hour cool down before a new event quest is given would alleviate the issue. There are certain times where a quest will completely block progress for various reasons and currently once a block is reached there is no in-game way of moving beyond it unless the player is able to find some way to complete the quest.

5) Narrow path of quest completion - this is inherent in the production quests, and there are a lot of those, that is why it is a relief to see more gain good quests. For gain good/gold/supply quests ensuring that event buildings that produce those qualify to complete the quest adds value to the quest. Quests like Spend KP are actually ideal as there are multiple avenues to do so whether it is research, investing in my own or another's AW, using an AW KP token. Spend KP is one that could have variance added for spend 3/5/7/10/15 KP rather than just 10. To me Buy KP highlights this issue, it is a high cost (either escalating goods or a diamond cost) quest that only has one avenue of completion (Scout province is the same). Changing Buy KP to gain KP opens it up for the player to determine how to meet the quest requirement vs. the developers and gives more shine to carting libraries and AWs that grant KP... OR the player waits until they gain KP through time which slows down their quest progress.

The flip side of this is multiple quests that basically require the same resource utilization (hence why I refer to them as costly). The quests Gain Relics, Solve Encounters basically use the same resource even if they use different terminology. Potentially relics can be crafted, however since there are gain vision vapor quests, most players are pre-producing buildings to meet the vision vapor requirement vs. crafting for relics to meet the gain relic quest, this is again why these quests should be limited in occurrence.

6) Quest Escalation - basically I have addressed this elsewhere in the definition of quests being costly. The Gain Relic and Solve encounter quests jumping from 2 to 5 to 7 means that they increase the costs and because they can theoretically occur every quest or every other quest these quests can quickly denude a player of goods and troops. My preference would be that any very high cost quest that requires encounters or relics in its production should have a very limited amount of occurrences in the event.

Dony

King of Bugs
yet does maintain the abilty for very active players to get more rewards (in this case evolution artifacts) than casual players.
i see this as a problem because scout or toolbox doesnt rewards activity, if you get 3-4 scouts on the end of research, you are done with the event without spending resources (and you can be active as much as you want, it doesnt help at all), which wasnt needed up until now, even tho as you said we can use time boosters now, its not rewarding becasue 85h+ of time boosters is worth more then few event currency we get from that quest.
As i said earlier in this thread, quests should be tailored for every city individually, similar like you do spire, if efficient city with 2 manus need to do 5 production and unefficient city with 10 manus need to do 5 production, it doesnt feel balanced, but it could be same for both groups, same challenge for both groups. And it would make balancing much more easier for devs afterwards

Last edited:

palmira

The quests with 24h workshop productions are a nuisance but not game stoppers; the only ones that are are the scout provinces with no alternative. There are no time instants enough for all the scouting advanced players have to do in this badly thought event. I am running out of those in beta and my scouts takes half the time I need live. And I won't use any time instants live because there is no way I will get enough artefacts as the event is now even dilapidating all

Bramblerose

Scout a province or research a technology! I do not have any technology left, what's up with that? I still have to wait 3 days to get on, that's the same as before. Still no alternative for the quest, thank you !!!!!!!

Just unlock the quest that continues !!!!

palmira

Thanks for small adjustment already :)

What small adjustment? Adding the Or research a tech to the one task true to its nature, scout one province with no alternative, it is no adjustment at all. Reducing the level of WS and factories is of no use if we keep getting impossible scouting tasks

Dony

King of Bugs
reducing leveling workshops by 4 days helps, for me for sure and since i can store workshop after event to inventory i am ready for next event

iDavis

@Dony or next event brings something new again and stored workshops won't suffice..

Anyway I really appreciate this small change, although it's still not possible to say these quests are fair for both beginner and endtech players.

Dony

King of Bugs
@Dony or next event brings something new again and stored workshops won't suffice..

Anyway I really appreciate this small change, although it's still not possible to say these quests are fair for both beginner and endtech players.
from Marindors post yesterday I feel like this will be a new norm for all next events (tho some tweaks are still needed), and maybe they will move with it for challenges and FA aswell
lets face it building lvl1 buildings to do events,challenges and FA is a bad idea, there are many ways how to make it more intuitive

DeletedUser2630

If they want to launch for Challenges and FA, they either stop playing either or stop playing elvenar itself. Not to be a brown bear, I ignore the event.

I'm not really far from that. The only thing that holds me in the game is a bunch of people in the association.

palmira

The 7th, and this time no more time instants. I am done with this stupid event

Screenshot_4.jpg

Lovec Krys

Yeah, implementing doing quests with main workshops/manufacturies to other aspects of game such as Challenges and FA is a very good idea.
For challenges it means, that no one will be able to finish them with just main workshops/manufactories, fortunatelly rewards are not worth it anyway.
And for FA it's the best idea, especialy all those 24h+ badges, I'm sure everyone is keen to do 24h workshop productions. And 24/48 manufactories badges aren't even possible with 24lv+ manufactories. Not to mention that now you need all three manufactories types for some badges.
So without complete overhaul of both of them not gonna happen.

ps: I think that everyone should stop depleting your time instants on beta, otherwise Dev team will analyze, that your progress is OK and the quests will stay as they are. In other words, by using lots of time instants on beta you're damaging your live cities - especialy if you have or plan to use less time instants there.

iDavis

@Lovec Krys let me be honest, after adding alternative "or research a technology" for scouting, I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like that happened.

Deleted User - 60107

@Marindor
In adition, the "Scout 1 province" quest without an alternative now got the alternative "OR Research 1 Technology".
This is just insulting. Do you know who has very long scouting times? Those of us who are at the end of the tech tree. Do you know what we DON'T have? Technologies to research. BECAUSE we are at the end of the tech tree! We've ALREADY DONE all the research!

Might as well change that quest to:
"Scout 1 province OR Find a new game to play".
I am VERY close to doing the latter...

palmira

@Marindor

This is just insulting. Do you know who has very long scouting times? Those of us who are at the end of the tech tree. Do you know what we DON'T have? Technologies to research. BECAUSE we are at the end of the tech tree! We've ALREADY DONE all the research!

Might as well change that quest to:

I am VERY close to doing the latter...

When you do find, pray tell :)

Jaxom

Excuse me but I have been offline for almost 3 days and I am confused about the "Current Advancement" quests.
An update just went out but the quest 17 still refers to Current chapter -1.
I am in Chapter 15 so what level of Workshops and T1-boosted buildings do I need to have.
I am way behind. Time to start burning up those time boosts!