• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Release Notes version 0.35 + Spells

Elderflower

Has anyone else have problem with disappearing spell effect? I have used manufacturing spell about 4-5 hours ago on my steel manufactury, but now I can't see sparkling around the building and no remaining time as well.
It wears off after 2 hours so you need to use it just before you collect.

DeletedUser778

At least the tooltip says it lasts 12 hours
4oeFtGQ5bz8x.png

So if it doesn't work that way it might be something for the bug section and earning some dias ;)

DeletedUser1231

when I used my spell on my gem factory are indeed has lasted 12 hours.

DeletedUser880

I believe the developers thinking on the magic academy spells is flawed, or, if not, very misleading.

The spell for goods indicates a 50% increase in production for a 12 hour period.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

NO player will receive a 50% increase in production as a result of casting a spell on a boosted goods building.

The reason -

The 50% increase is based on the nominal production level of your goods building assuming you had no boosts already. No-one will be in that position with their boosted goods buildings as all will have gained relics to produce more goods than the base level.

If your relics give you boosts of 50% then a spell giving an additional 50% means your total boost is 100% - the spell is worth only 33% of your usual production. If your relic boosts are higher then the benefit from the spell reduces on a percentage basis.

With 100% relic boost the spell increases production by 25%. By the time you get to a 400% relic boost the spell increase your production by only 10% and it just gets worse.

This is blatantly unfair and misleading - please get it right developers, either tell it the way it is or give us a true 50% increase.

You indeed get the Spell bonus over the base production. The production boost provided by Relics is already a bonus - if the Spell were to use this combined value (base production + Relic boost), you would get a bonus over a bonus, which would be kind of overpowered. But, that said, we're continuously evaluating the balancing of the game and we're always up for improvements if something turns out to be unbalanced in the big picture. :)

DeletedUser

I see we've got an update today, unfortunatly I'm still getting the "Session Timed Out" bug so
"Standby or power-saving mode" session end behaviour has been improved
doesn't seem to be improved that much. ::(

DeletedUser

Hmm I already have a gem boost of 617% so with one manucaftoring spell (that takes ages to create) I can boost one gem manufactory to 667% for 12 hours, to produce 7% more then without the spell... that's by far not great to me.

Yes. It's difficult to foresee a situation where we'll be so desperate for goods that a spell producing 50-100 goods will be advantageous. In fact, making and storing this type of low level spells (using relics) seems unwise - if later spells produce a real advantage we'll want the relics available to produce them instead.

I appreciate what Muf-Muf said about the "bonus on bonus" and continuously looking at the game to determine how to balance. Within that thought, if the Magic Academy gave the "bonus on bonus", we might consider re-evaluating the composition of our cities. Perhaps we could demolish a manufactory or two and build some culture or even a relatively useless Wonder just because we don't quite to much mind allocating the space. Even if Inno doesn't find this appropriate, if the Academy added to our score, complaints would be considerably less! Many of us work hard to squeeze every possible score point out of our available grid so, personally speaking, the prospect of deleting 2500 points from my game is just unappealing. Really, the same can be said of the Wonders - they should add to our score (increasing with every upgrade). If this were implemented, we'd all be building them happily.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser880

You indeed get the Spell bonus over the base production. The production boost provided by Relics is already a bonus - if the Spell were to use this combined value (base production + Relic boost), you would get a bonus over a bonus, which would be kind of overpowered. But, that said, we're continuously evaluating the balancing of the game and we're always up for improvements if something turns out to be unbalanced in the big picture. :)

It is clear from the various comments in this thread that players want to see realistic rewards for the placing of a Magic Academy in their cities with spells which give something which is of value to players in real terms. If players get a 50% increase in base supply production on 1 building for a spell the added value is of negligible value to advanced players and needs to be adjusted before it goes live.

To give an actual example using numbers rather than percentages - the base marble production for a 24 hour period is 373 marble, my relic boosts give me another 1459 and my Ancient Wonder gives me another 224 giving 2056 marble per building for each of my 9 marble production buildings. Casting a spell (which has taken 32 hours to produce) on one building gives me 186 extra marble against my daily production of 18,504 - now I do the maths I see that a spell will actually increase my overall daily production by 1% - wow! - that was a surprise even to me!

Is this a reasonable reward which will help me with my game? - NO.
Is this worth sacrificing 25 squares of my city with no points for the building? - NO.

If this is released live as things stand I will be strongly advising my Fellowship in Aryndyll to avoid developing the Magic Academy until such time as something worthwhile is available.

Come on Inno please rebalance this before it goes live.

DeletedUser651

Wow, is that true LordBrian? Those numbers are appalling. Instead of this thing being seen as an added part of the game, people will just be angry and a lot of players on the fence will leave for good. They are already leaving all over the place. Please don't let this "feature" go live with these figures. Instead of helping anything it will cause a great deal of harm.

Even if Inno doesn't find this appropriate, if the Academy added to our score, complaints would be considerably less! Many of us work hard to squeeze every possible score point out of our available grid so, personally speaking, the prospect of deleting 2500 points from my game is just unappealing.

But they can't do that unless the magic academy cost you population and culture to build and that would open a whole other can of worms.

I do think that you are right in that if the academy offered something that could increase your score somehow because you could use less of your precious space on culture that might be worth building. The only reason we have culture is so that we can have the buildings that give us the good scores otherwise we would all delete all culture buildings.

Or if the magic academy had a spell that would cut scouting times in half, I would consider needing one.

DeletedUser1231

Figures are unfortunately exact concerning the spells which boosted the resources.:(

Otherwise to put a spell to decrease the scouting is going to be rather complicated because the spells settle on buildings ..................... and there are no buildings for the scouting.
I think that the ideal shall be an AW in the next era who allow to decrease the times of scouting (of 10 % at the first level then 2 % by additional level then for example)

DeletedUser

I understand the desire for decreased scouting time, especially for no-pay players...but it seems unlikely. I'd guess that a significant percentage of game income stems from expansion sales. I play 3 no-pay games, and each has 7-9 premium expansions available before Episode III. Why would Inno give up a primary income source?

DeletedUser629

Yes. It's difficult to foresee a situation where we'll be so desperate for goods that a spell producing 50-100 goods will be advantageous. In fact, making and storing this type of low level spells (using relics) seems unwise - if later spells produce a real advantage we'll want the relics available to produce them instead.

I appreciate what Muf-Muf said about the "bonus on bonus" and continuously looking at the game to determine how to balance. Within that thought, if the Magic Academy gave the "bonus on bonus", we might consider re-evaluating the composition of our cities. Perhaps we could demolish a manufactory or two and build some culture or even a relatively useless Wonder just because we don't quite to much mind allocating the space. Even if Inno doesn't find this appropriate, if the Academy added to our score, complaints would be considerably less! Many of us work hard to squeeze every possible score point out of our available grid so, personally speaking, the prospect of deleting 2500 points from my game is just unappealing. Really, the same can be said of the Wonders - they should add to our score (increasing with every upgrade). If this were implemented, we'd all be building them happily.

This would also mean you would need more population and culture since your score is based on those 2 factors. The magic academy is available at the end op chapter I, so new players get something to play with that will increase their supplies production and goods production(chapter III). It's not fair to demand a score for it since new players have little space to build more houses and culture buildings, meaning they won't be able to build it if we would demand population and culture for it.

Same goes for the wonders. Not every building is supposed to give points for ranking, but rather give players benefits in other ways. Nobody forces you to build them. If you only play for a top ranking spot, than leave them be.

DeletedUser

This would also mean you would need more population and culture since your score is based on those 2 factors. The magic academy is available at the end op chapter I, so new players get something to play with that will increase their supplies production and goods production(chapter III). It's not fair to demand a score for it since new players have little space to build more houses and culture buildings, meaning they won't be able to build it if we would demand population and culture for it.

Same goes for the wonders. Not every building is supposed to give points for ranking, but rather give players benefits in other ways. Nobody forces you to build them. If you only play for a top ranking spot, than leave them be.

I would have expected a simpler solution by now. Wonders and Magic Academy should result in additions to score - basically a minor change in how score is calculated. We're significantly past the point where rank is accurately determined solely by population / culture. Wonders and the Academy should add a flat (increasing with upgrades) number of points to our score, since they' re clear indicators of actual attainment.

DeletedUser867

Wonders and Magic Academy should result in additions to score
I'll grant you the Magic Academy, even though workers and culture would be therefore be required in order to build it. It's fairly large and, even though you could use the Workers and Culture elsewhere, it's not obvious to me why the Magic Academy would need to be built on the cheap.

Regarding Ancient Wonders, I'd suggest a different twist. The folks over at Forge of Empires are about to include, as part of the global rank, the points that have been contributed to YOUR Ancient Wonders. You can obviously contribute to your own AWs, but there are additional dividends if you're in an exchange pool.

DeletedUser880

I agree with bobbipiazza that the scoring system needs to be looked at if the developers want to ensure that players are encouraged to have Ancient Wonders and a Magic Academy. Players scores are currently created by adding the population and culture required for the buildings in their cities plus points based on province battles won/negotiations completed and the distance of those events from the players city. There is no reason why this system could not be changed to include points for other achievements, such as the level of AWs.

However regardless of points provided, players will want to see that AWs and Magic Academy help them in a positive way and give real benefits to help them in their cities. As raised earlier in this thread I am sure that Magic Academy is woefully lacking in the effects of spells currently available.

DeletedUser1397

I don't think it would be hard to code a flat point bonus for each level an ancient wonder gains or for placing the academy. I don't think it's too much for the player base that has been waiting four months for content to be able to actually enjoy what gets released. Telling us to skip this stuff is what most people are already going to do.

The devs and moderation team seem to have no problem disenfranchising a portion of the player base which has proven itself to be loyal and profitable. In seeking to please newer players, you are losing many of the most dedicated players. This will only come back to bite you guys in the butt. I've seen it happen to similar games which are now dead.

DeletedUser

The devs and moderation team seem to have no problem disenfranchising a portion of the player base which has proven itself to be loyal and profitable. In seeking to please newer players, you are losing many of the most dedicated players. This will only come back to bite you guys in the butt. I've seen it happen to similar games which are now dead.

Perhaps we've become liabilities? Maybe they consider us too negative and would prefer to write us off so we leave the game/forums and leave them with "new cow".