• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Encounters Guide

DeletedUser283

this guide has been really useful for me;
now it would be nice if it could include all units (like sorceresses now that they have been fixed ;) )

DeletedUser629

Some things need an update indeed, like the damage calculation.

DeletedUser651

Elves,

If you are facing cannoneers and/or archers, the Sorceresses are the best to use against them. They will hit you first, but do not fear. As long as you can swing over and hit each one of them each time with a spell, they can't do any damage back to you again. You have to keep track of which enemy you hit each round though, because that little symbol will stay up there even though the full spell wore off from the last round. If you miss a round with a spell, they can do damage to you again. In this one case, it is best to dole out your damage spread across the enemy as evenly as possible. You want widespread coverage of those spells.

It also doesn't matter how many are left in your squad of sorceresses. One lone little sorc will make the largest archer or cannoneer squad impotent. If you are facing more than 5 squads of these enemies, use your smallest squads against their largest squads. The idea is to get their squads down in number as fast as possible, because those squads that you don't put a spell on will do damage to you each time.

(The mortar is now called a cannoneer)

DeletedUser283

some of us may already have noticed this, but everyone can be better off with the info :
elves,
-crystal provinces : 5 squads of treants will do the job with minimal losses
-magic dust provinces : I will recommend 3 squads of treants and 2 of sorceresses or 3 treants and 2 golems
-scroll provinces : 5 squads of treants if there is no more than 2 squads of crossbow/archers; otherwise bring the sorceresses in !
-general configuration : 3 treants and 2 sorceresses;
whenever using sorceresses, one must try to keep them safe from swordsmen and dogs; treants are there to soak the damage while taking down these adversaries; tactics exposed above by @Bobbykitty then apply :)

now it would be very interesting if some players from the human side could share similar information !

Jixel

As elves:
- steel provinces - I use 4 squads of Golem II, 1 Sorceress. Usually the opposing archers advance, then your Golems can take them out. Next priority is to get at least one Golem unit to attack the Cannoneers, using the sorceress to limit the damage from the Knights. Once the opposing ranged units are all gone, work on one squad of Knights at a time, rotating around the others with the sorceress.
- silk provinces - One or two Treants, two or three Golems, one Sorceress.
- planks province - One Treant, three Golems, one Sorceress (depending on the exact composition of the enemy squads - e.g. sometimes the encounter is two enemy stacks of Treant II (or one T II + 1 Swamp Monster) - then I use 4xGolem + 1 Sorceress)

DeletedUser283

thanks a lot, @jixel , I will test these configurations !

[edit]
in silk provinces, some encounters are a mix of archers and cannoneers
send in 5 squads of sorceresses and make sure you stun the enemy squads in turn, so that the broken valor effect does not wear out
minimal losses - mostly because the enemy strikes first - big success ;)
[/edit]

[edit2]
in silk provinces, it is generally 3 encounters of this type per province :)
at least it is the case in ring 11 ...
[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser283

In marble provinces, some encounters are a mix of golems and steinlings
5 squads of sorceresses II will do the job
as a bonus, these guys cannot reach them during the 1st round, so you have first fire :D

DeletedUser1075

I have combined Philiplessis and Jixel's info and it looks like we have nearly a complete guide for fighting with the full range of units, except for two provinces: Elixir and Gems. Does anyone have any info on the best way to handle those? I'll confess, the Elixir provinces stymie me every time.

Also, it's worth adding that in Crystal provinces (the easiest by far), sometimes the terrain has enough obstacles that you can benefit from swapping out a Treant squad with a squad of Sorceresses. This is especially useful when the terrain makes it impossible to bring a fifth Treant squad to the fight. The Sorceresses will help reduce damage to your Treants.

Thank you Philiplessis and Jixel - this info is a great addition to Phantom's guide.

Valtitude

A lot of good info here! Some of it I already knew, but some of it I can't wait to try -
and battles aren't my favorite part of the game. Thank you for sharing, everyone.

DeletedUser

Elves in Gems territories I like 1-2 Treants to absorb the cerberus attack. Golum or Sorceress go after the archers. If you get those out of the way take your time and reset your troops so that the knight has to come closer and you can launch everyone in your counter attack instead of chasing him with one advance troop that he picks away at.
Humans in gems are simpler you attack first with cerberus to take out the archers. They will kill/damage severely two archers and the remaining archers will fire first on them followed by the Knights. If one cerberus survives taking out the archers push him off out of the fight but still within range.
Paladin will absorb a war dog attack well but are so-so in killing them. If you can eliminate the dogs and get down to the knights with an archer still intact you have a really fun fight using the Paladin as a rolling blockade cutting off the knights routes to your archer. At this point if one of your cerberus did survive you can put them to good use as a third blocker. A weakened cerberus won't do any damage but a knight will have to waste a turn clearing him from the path while you get a few more shots in.
Elixer is harder bcs you face all three ranges of attack so counter attacking is costly. My elven army on the US server now has the Granite Golum unlocked and stocked up and that's my answer for nearly everything right now. I'll share the advice I was given by Avatrix on fighting in elixer with human armies:
A lot of players discounts the first two units after unlocking paladins and priests. A viable tactic would be 3 squads axe barbarians and 2 squads crossbowmen. 1 squad priests or cerberus in place of a squad of axe barbarians depending on terrain and enemy squads. Position the axemen and cerberus so that the necro and golem must come in range. then use all units to take them out while ignoring the treants. You will most likely lose all the axe and cerberus squads to the treants but will be left with 1 or two squads of crossbow to slowly kill the treant while using a terrain obstacle to stay out the way. The storm barbarian is AWESOME in those situations.

DeletedUser1075

That's fantastic Avarron.
My fellowship asked me to pull the last few posts all into one. Here goes...
Creds to Philiplessis and Jixel and Avarron. Any errors you can blame on me.

General configuration (when you don't know what else to try): 3 treants and 2 sorceresses

Marble: some encounters are a mix of golems and steinlings. 5 squads of sorceresses II will do the job. As a bonus, these guys cannot reach them during the 1st round, so you have first fire

Planks: One Treant, three Golems, one Sorceress (depending on the exact composition of the enemy squads - e.g. sometimes the encounter is two enemy stacks of Treant II (or one T II + 1 Swamp Monster) - then I use 4xGolem + 1 Sorceress)

Steel: Use 4 squads of Golem II, 1 Sorceress. Usually the opposing archers advance, then your Golems can take them out. Next priority is to get at least one Golem unit to attack the Cannoneers, using the sorceress to limit the damage from the Knights. Once the opposing ranged units are all gone, work on one squad of Knights at a time, rotating around the others with the sorceress.

Crystal: 5 squads of treants will do the job with minimal losses. [Note: If the terrain allows, you can sometimes further reduce losses by adding a sorceress strategically (usually either position 1 or 4). This is best done when the terrain would not allow all 5 treant squads to fight anyway.]

Scroll: 5 squads of treants if there is no more than 2 squads of crossbow/archers; otherwise bring the sorceresses in. [Note: I've also had luck using sorceresses with the granite golems, but those golems are expensive]

Silk: One or two Treants, two or three Golems, one Sorceress. in silk provinces, some encounters are a mix of archers and cannoneers send in 5 squads of sorceresses and make sure you stun the enemy squads in turn, so that the broken valor effect does not wear out minimal losses - mostly because the enemy strikes first - big success

Elixir: Granite Golem FTW. But also consider trying 3 golem, 2 sorceress

Magic Dust: 3 squads of treants and 2 of sorceresses or 3 treants and 2 golems

Gems: 1-2 Treants to absorb the cerberus attack. Golem or Sorceress go after the archers. If you get those out of the way take your time and reset your troops so that the knight has to come closer and you can launch everyone in your counter attack instead of chasing him with one advance troop that he picks away at. Note: I've also had luck putting a treant in front of the knight and letting him pick away at the treant while the golems cut the knight down bit by bit.

DeletedUser283

I started having difficulties with elixir provinces (ring 10)
5 squads of granite golems do not always make it
3 squads of golems and 2 squads of sorceresses may be luckier ;)

DeletedUser

Someone posted this on another server and I am eager to give it a whirl. The 5th ring is the elven boneyard from what I've experienced, because there seems to be nothing you can do until sorceress unlocks. This was someones plan for the elven response to canon without sorceress...I still haven't tried it:
Put a sword dancer in position no. 1 (middle back) and leave it there for the canoneers to bomb as a diversion. Put 2 golems in position 2 and 3 (front ones) and 2 archers in 4 and 5. Back all of your troops backwards as far as you can on first round to stay out of range and wait for the enemy to come to you. Second round, move archers up each side and take out opposition bandits, knights if bandits can't be reached. For Golems first move, take them straight up the middle as far as you can and take shots at knights. Leave sword dancer where it is until cononeers are dead. I have noticed that canoneers seem to do minimal damage to swords if it's large range, it's weird. 3rd round, archers should be hitting knights and your two golems should be able to reach canoneers and will usually take them out this round, or at least leave them with minimal life points. Once canoneers are dead, move sword dancer in to join your other troops to battle the knights and to use as bait. Chip away at the Knights keeping your archers out of range and you should be fine, with minimal losses except your sword dancer bait.

DeletedUser651

It has been a while since this thread was at the top, and some folks might have some new tactics, so I thought I would bump it up!

DeletedUser778

For encounters with exactly 2 squads thiefs it is often a good tactic to use 1 squad of treants (as human paladins might work too, but I'm not sure),
to keep the thiefs busy in one corner and leaving no room for other melee units to attack them too,
so you can bring other units to take care of the other enemy squads.

Here a screenshot of an easy example from Felyndral:
HClaMvsFPEe4.png
If there are no swords/archers and the thiefs have no unit in attack range they often go for treants, (as enemy treants too).
So it's easy to get them to our own treants.
Once they have reached our treant squad the enemy treants can't reach our treants anymore and go for sorcs, which can easily kite them, but be careful not to move the sorcs in thief range as then they will change their priority target and attack sorcs.

If the enemy has ranged units too, it can get more tricky/impossible to do it effective, but sometimes with a good map it's still a viable option. ;)

If the enemy has 3 squads of thiefs it can work too, but you need of course 2 treant squads, so you can get them into a corner and only 3 squads can attack them.

DeletedUser651

I need a solution for steinling and golem combos. Any suggestions?

DeletedUser629

I need a solution for steinling and golem combos. Any suggestions?

Ah yes, elixir provinces ^^

Sorceress is always good against those 2 because their curse makes them immune to both of them. Sword acrobats have a +30 attack bonus vs both, so i'd use 3 squads of those and 2 squads of sorceresses, or 2 squads acrobats and 3 squads sorceresses depending on how many squads of both the enemy has.