• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Encounters Guide

DeletedUser136

Since I don't need to post it, I can at least positively confirm that the level 5 elven city does look like that :D

DeletedUser58

I'm glad you've found it useful. :) It's impossible to list all combinations/encounters so I could not do that and decided to provide info/possible tactic(s) for individual units. But if you're stuck on a particular encounter you can give us the specifics and we (those of us who are ahead or have already tackled that encounter) can let you know what works best.

I've now added Ent II (no change from Ent/Swamp Monster) and Golem II (this one mostly takes ranged units out of the picture and you have to use multiple light melee units against it). I think I have a few more 'advanced' units but I'll add them when I grab a screenshot from their stats.

And I think Tinker meant to post in the 'cities on the world map' thread. :D Thanks for the confirmation, Tinker!

DeletedUser

Great Work ...Very helpful guide for fighters....Thanks Phantom for taking the effort and time to have this on the forum for other players ...

DeletedUser

Just checked the Elves long ranged unit - Golem - in the tech-tree ... To me It seems the long ranged unit has got lesser range (3) than the short ranged unit (Archers) (4)... How can it be possible .....Even their movement is lesser than most of the other units for it to cover more range ... Am i seeing and understanding it correctly ??? I mean to the best of my knowledge long ranged units should be able to cover more area in their attack range ... For example the Enemy unit Mortar covers the full battle field (14) ...Now thats a real Long range unit ...

DeletedUser58

Just checked the Elves long ranged unit - Golem - in the tech-tree ... To me It seems the long ranged unit has got lesser range (3) than the short ranged unit (Archers) (4)... How can it be possible .....Even their movement is lesser than most of the other units for it to cover more range ... Am i seeing and understanding it correctly ??? I mean to the best of my knowledge long ranged units should be able to cover more area in their attack range ... For example the Enemy unit Mortar covers the full battle field (14) ...Now thats a real Long range unit ...
You are reading that correct, yes. The Mortar is actually the only unit I've encountered so far that has a better range than the short ranged units (Archers and similar). There are other units classified as "long ranged" such as Steinlings or Golem II and they also have a range of 3. I agree that their current naming is confusing/misleading. I think when they were designing these units they were thinking along the lines of light melee & light ranged units, and heavy melee & heavy ranged units.

For example the current "long ranged" units (golem, golem ii, steinling) seem to be way better on damage and health (which is this game's version of defense) but weaker on movement and attack range, and they also take up additional squad space because of their weight and they have a very low initiative (I've been using golems but I haven't gotten around to updating the guide), which is basically the same description you can give for heavy melee units in comparison to light melee units.

DeletedUser

You are reading that correct, yes. The Mortar is actually the only unit I've encountered so far that has a better range than the short ranged units (Archers and similar). There are other units classified as "long ranged" such as Steinlings or Golem II and they also have a range of 3. I agree that their current naming is confusing/misleading. I think when they were designing these units they were thinking along the lines of light melee & light ranged units, and heavy melee & heavy ranged units.

For example the current "long ranged" units (golem, golem ii, steinling) seem to be way better on damage and health (which is this game's version of defense) but weaker on movement and attack range, and they also take up additional squad space because of their weight and they have a very low initiative (I've been using golems but I haven't gotten around to updating the guide), which is basically the same description you can give for heavy melee units in comparison to light melee units.

Well then what units can i actually use against mortars?? they are a pain while trying to gain a province specially if mixed with the so-called long-ranged-heavy-melee and mage units .... When I read those Mortars description it said they are not accurate but whenever i fight with them they hit my units accurately killing them in one shot everytime ... and since they got the range they just stay at the back and keep moving in those last hexes making it difficult for my light melee reach them faster ... Archers die with just one shot from them ... I won just one fight against a mortar enemy wherein I had to fight only Mortar ...a set of 30 of them ...and got 3 of my archers- set of 36 - killed with just 3 shots ...1 shot 1 set dead.... I cannot imagine how it will be when mixed with the Golems II and Evil Sorceress ... i am sure you would have crossed them by now and knowing u are from the FOE i do think you would have fought your way rather than negotiating ...Hope i am not wrong in that thinking ,,,LOL... As of now I only have sword dancers & Archers ... Really long way to go for the Ents and Golems and Sorceress researches ...But i have already reached the provinces with Mortars Golems and sorceress ...do u think i should wait till I get one of those bigger units or can it be done even with using Archers and light melee ?? ...thank you ...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser58

I've been avoiding negotiating, but if the terrain is bad and the battle would be too hard (this is usually when there are multiple squads of mortars + knights or other units) I just negotiate to save me the trouble. If you're facing Mortars your army should lean toward Sword Dancers. I think I was mostly using 3 squads of Sword Dancers + 2 squads of Archers (sometimes even 4 SW squads and 1 Archer squad; try to avoid the knight as much as possible and take your Sword Dancers directly to the Mortars). Your Sword Dancers squads will likely be defeated, but in the meantime you can use the Archers to handle the Knights so as long as you've defeated the Mortars.

Archers are useless versus Mortars because the Mortars have +80% defense from their attack. Ents are even worse because A) they're too slow B) they have a horrid initiative C) the Mortars have +80% attack versus them. Waiting till Golems is a long way and even Golems aren't much better (though I've found them better when facing knights/mortars, yes). If you can, upgrade your squad size. But beyond that, you shouldn't be waiting for anything else, just focus on Sword Dancers.

DeletedUser

I've been avoiding negotiating, but if the terrain is bad and the battle would be too hard (this is usually when there are multiple squads of mortars + knights or other units) I just negotiate to save me the trouble. If you're facing Mortars your army should lean toward Sword Dancers. I think I was mostly using 3 squads of Sword Dancers + 2 squads of Archers (sometimes even 4 SW squads and 1 Archer squad; try to avoid the knight as much as possible and take your Sword Dancers directly to the Mortars). Your Sword Dancers squads will likely be defeated, but in the meantime you can use the Archers to handle the Knights so as long as you've defeated the Mortars.

Archers are useless versus Mortars because the Mortars have +80% defense from their attack. Ents are even worse because A) they're too slow B) they have a horrid initiative C) the Mortars have +80% attack versus them. Waiting till Golems is a long way and even Golems aren't much better (though I've found them better than when facing knights/mortars, yes). If you can, upgrade your squad size. But beyond that, you shouldn't be waiting for anything else, just focus on Sword Dancers.

Thanks for replying and the useful information you provided ...Will surely try as you have suggested ... I dont have the patience to wait even for the Ents research so i think i will keep trying with SW and Archers ... as long as I can win battles.. don't mind even if major losses in unit...LOL

DeletedUser118

I can only speak for myself but I defeated all my mortar oponents by using sword dancers. Let them run right towars them and have them take down the mortars first. After that you can still fight the other enemys. And yes I agree, the best groups for fights against mortars and heavier oponents is a mixture of sword dancers and archers.

DeletedUser

Really ugly against mortars, especially if you're an elf and don't have hellhounds/cerberuses, is a labyrinth-like terrain...

DeletedUser205

Mortars

if the terrain is so, that you have to move your sworddancers through 1 single small way, what means they block each other for the first moves - the mortars have to much time to kill them out meanwhile.
better negotiate those encounters, would be my advise.

if the terrain is open enough to spread the sworddancers and let them go foreward fast, I go with the tactic katzenprinz described two posts before.

many enemy-combinations with mortars mixed in allow to take best all sworddancers against them, or 4 Sworddancers, 1 Archer.
It's necessary to clever choose the startingplace of the archer then. use the scheme of startingplaces, which is described with picture above - a very helpful post, thank you @Odvar, that pushed me really foreward in killing enemies :).
In case the sworddancers always move first, the archer must be out of their way, not blocking their first move.
And very necessary is to consider the sequence, your armys move in further steps!
It's worth to try that out and use white flag to start again with distribute your sworddancers more perfect, means that they don't block each other in movements.

Try to drive the mortars together in one corner or behind an obstacle you can easy reach (they always try to get the most possible space between them and their goal, and they prefer the sworddancersquad with lowest number inside as their next goal. Use this squad they focus on to manoever the mortars into corners and meanwhile run with your squads with higher numbers inside next to the mortars.

If the number and squadsize of mortars fits to your armypower, that are successful ways to get rid of them.
If they are to powerful, wait for upgrade to sworddancers II and/or squadsize.

after I found that strategies against mortars I nearly like them, because they are easy to fight against.

DeletedUser

Thanks for these tips, ThePhantom! Nice job!

Just as a note, the Hit and Run tactic you describe is called Kiting in gamer slang :)

Also, you may want to delete the not in bold in this sentence:

Just keep in mind they're easily taken out and they're extra weak versus melee units so your goal should be not to avoid enemy units attacking your archers.

DeletedUser

It may also be worth noting for those new to Elvenar that ranged units cannot be 'cornered.'

In other games featuring turn-based combat it is common for ranged units to temporarily lose their shooting ability if an enemy stands next to them. They regain their shooting ability only after they move away from all enemies.

In Elvenar this is not the case. I.e., if an Orc stands next to your Archer, the Archer can still shoot at other enemies without moving away. He will only be forced to use his melee attack if he attacks the Orc directly (and thus suffer retaliation from him).

(Stupidly enough, if you turn on the AI mid-battle, it will sometimes ignore this unnecessary retaliation risk and happily make your Archers use melee attacks instead of shooting retaliation-free).

DeletedUser58

That's some good info SirReal, thank you for all of that! :cool:

I've fixed the wording on the sentence you mentioned, and I've added your explanation about ranged units not being cornered under things to know. On the hit&run/kiting thing, I've added it in brackets. I know the term but I've seen it referred as such mostly in RPG games, less so in strategy ones, or maybe it's the tactic that's less common in strategies. I've also found that unless you know the tactic, that term doesn't mean much by itself, while hit & run should sort of tell you what it's about. At least it may work better for those who don't have a gaming history. :D

DeletedUser

Hey @ThePhantom I have the defense setup for you now if you are interested in adding it to the guild.

ElvenarTemp_5.jpg
ElvenarTemp1.jpg

DeletedUser58

Awesome job once again! I added it directly below the player units placements. :D I actually didn't think of checking out the enemy placement, but that is fantastic and could be a great advantage.