• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion [Discussion] Valentine's Event

Dhurrin

I am seriously confused about Gaelagil's Balcony.
Let us compare it with normal building, Woodelves Habitat, assuming you get GB in the wood elves chapter.
Culture per square = 120 vs 103.5 (win by 19.5%)
Population per square = 40 vs 40.4 (marginal loss)
Mana per square per day = 0 vs 138 (infinite loss)

So if I understand the point, some of you and INNO believe that it is cool idea to give reward which is arguably (read: without any doubt) much worse then normal building?

Well let me tell you secret - it is not cool, not fun and not a show of good game design...
What would be show of good game design you ask me? It is really simple
- event rewards should be better (efficient per square) than normal buildings of the same chapter (to give people fun and motivation to participate)
- event rewards (with the exception of the main event prize) should be worse than diamond buildings of the same chapter (developers need to eat too, you know)

But, I humbly ask you, feel free to show me failings of my logic :confused:

I agree with the numbers (grins..hard to argue with those)
But for everyone NOT yet in de woodelves chapter the mana would be useless. So perhaps the devs can be persuaded to add mana to the building if won in the last chapter. That would make it at least reasonable.

Of course, the problem with all the events is that everytime people will want something better, until they become way too overpowering.
Im ok with buildings that are just slightly better than regular buildings, though I feel it would be nice if they compare to premium buildings. But having regular buildings outperform them makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

DeletedUser347

After building Burukbraks Bridge of Love (2200 culture) my available culture is 77915. Before building the Brige my available culture was also 77915. The 2200 culturesurplus is in fact a 0 surplus. Burukbraks Culture is gone with the wind?

DeletedUser118

After building Burukbraks Bridge of Love (2200 culture) my available culture is 77915. Before building the Brige my available culture was also 77915. The 2200 culturesurplus is in fact a 0 surplus. Burukbraks Culture is gone with the wind?

If its still like that after a reload of the game you should consinder adding a report about the issue to the bug section. :)

Dhurrin

I already know Im not going to make it to the prizes this time
Now Indont mind so much, since the buildings arent much good, but it still kinda rankles.

Like @lika1961 stated, from one day to the next I was suddenly stuck. And not because I was playing very intensely, but just playing regularly.
Since that time, I more and more got the feeling Im being punished for liking the game and investing time, effort and money on it. That doesnt make me feel very happy.

The other point raised also is one I agree with. If an event can not be finished in time without using a spoiler to plan ahead, its a badly planned event. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that players like @SoggyShorts make those available and I take a good glance at them, but Im NOT going to plan ahead because of them. I kinda like to see if there is any chance at all doing them in my normal schedule. Most often, they are not and that annoys the hell out of me.

DeletedUser736

I was fairly certain I would not make it to the end, as I did'nt manage to make it to the end of the winter event. I was wrong. I will be able to complete it. It's only a matter of time now. But I am very disapointed at this event, and here's my final verdict, and why.

To begin with, I will be able to complete it thanks to bugs and spoilers. Many peoples did not hide what was the last quest, and since I was leveling ancient wonders, I am not at the end of the tech tree. So I had to prepare. But I could not do it spoiler free. And I can make it thanks to bugs. I would have got raped by the scouting quest, but I got lucky and one of the two quest completed way before my scout actually arrived. I also got a bug that saved me time during the "upgrade x" quest, which did complete waaaay before it should have. I would not have made it without cooking spells in the Magic academy.

That being said, I agree with part of what Dhurrin posted just above me. Event should be fun. Event should be something we can complete in a relaxed way. Not some kind of mad race where you hastly build up shitty level 1 production building. Something where you let spells rot in your magic academy to shave off 1 day of the timer.

Of course, dear Inno, some peoples are still going to rush the quests and complete the event in half the time allowed. Does it matter? If that is the way they enjoy playing, so be it! They are not harming anyone! Other peoples, like me or Durham who prefer to take it as it goes, should be allowed to do so. Does esater/halloween/xmas/whatever holiday/ really need to be something gruelling, or could it just be a fun event to be enjoy by everyone?

I would also like to point out that even if I did not manage to complete the WHOLE winter event, you did not hear me yell or complain about it untill now. The reason is simple. There was no story line, and winter/summer event are made so, no matter how far you go into the quest, you still get nice buildings to decorate your cities. Not to mention there is no story behind thoses event, so it does'nt feel like you missed out on the storyline.

Anyway. I really think that should be considered for future event. Make it less stressful. Make those events so that peoples have fun doing them, feel relaxed and get in the spirit of said holiday! At some point, I thought I was the only one who did'nt like to rush things, and not use spoilers, but see Durham post above mine! Giving us more forgiving delays, avoiding quest that potentially take up to 3 days to complete, and peoples will thank you. And player who rush things, will still be able to do so to their heart content. It's a win/win situation.

DeletedUser1767

Re: the spoiler issue, the demographic I personally am most concerned about are the busier players who don't come to the forums and have lives that don't allow them to spend hours on the game like many of us forum-rats do. Those people are even more heavily dependent on spoilers to finish than the rest of us, since their schedules are tighter, and if they don't come to the forum (which they're probably less likely to do), the only way they'd get the information they might need is from having fellowship members who do haunt the forums. This doesn't seem right to me. Anyone who logs in regularly and attempts to do the questline should be able to finish.

On a different topic, one thing I do like about the way this event was structured is the way it focuses on one type of tasks at a time. I think that was really thoughtful for people who don't have a lot of space in their city. You could build extra workshops, to help get yourself through, and then you wouldn't need them anymore, so you could build some factories in the same space, and so on. With the bigger events, you needed everything all the time, and I didn't quite manage to finish on Beta mostly because I didn't have the space for the extra buildings of all types.

DeletedUser736

On a different topic, one thing I do like about the way this event was structured is the way it focuses on one type of tasks at a time.
That is IF you go for the spoilers. Because if you do not, you need to keep those extra buildings because you do not know what is coming, so you need to be prepared.

DeletedUser1767

That is IF you go for the spoilers. Because if you do not, you need to keep those extra buildings because you do not know what is coming, so you need to be prepared.
That's true, although it's less true if you don't have the space. If you've only got the space to squeeze in three or four extra small buildings, you'll build the first thing that you need, and then the next quest still uses that building type, so you keep using it. Then you'll switch when it tells you to.

I actually did that for the majority of this event -- I did have the spoilers, but I didn't have the space for more than three or four extra event buildings anyway, so having the spoilers didn't actually affect my gameplay very much. Then I realised I was sitting on seven unused expansions and used them, but by then all I needed was extra armories.

Elderflower

I must confess that I was very grateful for the spoilers as I had to go away for four days in the middle of the event and still managed to complete on time. Knowing what was coming, I could have lots of tier 1 buildings churning away and then also use 4 of those for the upgrades at the end. Plus I held back on activating a technology so I could use it for the last quest. If I hadn't known about that I would not have been able to finish a new technology in time.
So I do agree with those who say it should be possible for people to finish in time without spoilers. Some will finish days ahead and some will only just make it but it should still be possible for any player to complete it, especially since we are not striving for some exceptional prizes like diamonds or blueprints.
I did enjoy the storyline though which is another reason for making sure everyone can finish all the quests. It would be a shame for people to have to miss out on the happy ending.

DeletedUser1655

1 Gain 1000 coins 1 marble relic
2 Buy 1 KP 1 steel relic
3 Produce beverages (5 min) 1 time 1 plank relic
4 Gain 1,000 supplies. Reward 1 KP 1KP
5 Produce simple tools (15 Mins) 2 times 1 plank relic
6 Gain 7,000 coins 1 steel relic
7 Spend 3 KP 1 marble relic
8 Scout 1 province 1 KP, 1 Rune
9 Gain 8 relics 1 Magic M spell
10 Solve 10 encounters, or buy 10 KP 1 Crystal relic
11 Produce 2 power of provision spell 1 Scroll relic
12 Produce basket of groceries 5 times and Advanced tools 10 tmes 1 Silk relic
13 produce Bread (1hr) 20 times 1 ensorcelled Endowment
14 Produce Toolbox (1 day) 7 times 1 Silk relic
15 Produce Beverages (5min) 99 times 1 Scroll relic
16 Scout 1 province 1 Crystal relic
17 Produce (T1 boost 3hr) 8 times and (T1 boost 9hr) 3 times 1 KP
18 Produce (T1 boost 9hr) 6 times and (T1 boost 1day) 2 times 2 KP
19 Produce (T1 boost 1 day) 5 times and (T1 boost 2 day) 3 times
20 Train 400 units
21 Upgrade 4 buildings to lvl 5 or higher
22 Spend 20kp.
23 Research 1 technology.

DeletedUser503

I stopped participating in the Valentines event when it got to produce 99 times. I do not like click fests.
Prizes not worth putting down, space is at a premium. And, I hate Orcs.

Dhurrin

I stopped participating in the Valentines event when it got to produce 99 times. I do not like click fests.
Prizes not worth putting down, space is at a premium. And, I hate Orcs.

Same here. This is one that keeps coming back in events and I hate it. Some peope, like me, actually like playing without having something as moronic as this.

Last edited:

DeletedUser118

I had to stop at 22 of 23 cuz I cannot get my last research (Woodelves AWs) done within the next 24 hours. It will take me quite a while longer. Oh well, can't be helped.

DeletedUser1928

I've got to the point where it asks to train 400 units and that is badly ending my Valentine's path. I've just start with the game and I will never be able to train all those units in time. I think such situations has to be avoided since they are discouraging to play.

DeletedUser1877

steps such as that one should be weighted to the player in my opinion. Maybe 50 for the new player as opposed to 400.

DeletedUser283

the "train 400 units" quest validated as soon as I started training in the barracks, which saved me quite some time :)

DeletedUser1095

Because it is fiction? Because I know the difference between fiction and fantasy? Because if I had to be offended by something like this, I would'nt be playing much video games? Be consequent. To begin with, you should blame Inno for including battles between human. I've slaughter many human since I began playing this game. Or promoting war and killing fellow human is much less worse than promoting rocks at sheep? Why don't you get offended at goblins and orcs making use of mushrooms? Do they really have to drug themselves? Could'nt they bake harmless cakes instead?

In your own words, you'd rather have him punch other orcs, than horses. So violence against a fellow sentient creature is ok because??? Orcs are ulgy and horse are cute? Is that why you thing it's okay to beat up orcs?

How about: Because orcs are nonexistent, while horses and sheep aren't; also, orcs enjoy fighting, and presumably getting punched is part of that; and because what I'm objecting to is not a fair fight (unlike the battles, in which the adversaries are armed and have an excellent chance of killing you). And the use of recreational drugs has nothing to do with the issue at hand; if you object to it, feel free to ask Inno to remove the mushrooms.

Meanwhile, I understand that you aren't going to ask Inno to change (approximately) seven words of this extremely lame story. I don't understand why it's so important to you to fight with someone who *is* asking them to. Does the animal cruelty have some value in this storyline? Is it entertaining? educational? artistic? cool?

Next time a kid concludes that a good way to impress a girl is to throw something at an orc or a dungheap, I will have no objection, because orcs don't exist and dungheaps don't mind. But if a kid decides that a good way to impress a girl is to throw something at a horse, a cow or a sheep, I *will* object, quite strenuously.

Last edited by a moderator: