• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion [Discussion] Valentine's Event

Dhurrin

How about: Because orcs are nonexistent, while horses and sheep aren't; also, orcs enjoy fighting, and presumably getting punched is part of that; and because what I'm objecting to is not a fair fight (unlike the battles, in which the adversaries are armed and have an excellent chance of killing you). And the use of recreational drugs has nothing to do with the issue at hand; if you object to it, feel free to ask Inno to remove the mushrooms.

Meanwhile, I understand that you aren't going to ask Inno to change (approximately) seven words of this extremely lame story. I don't understand why it's so important to you to fight with someone who *is* asking them to. Does the animal cruelty have some value in this storyline? Is it entertaining? educational? artistic? cool?

Next time a kid concludes that a good way to impress a girl is to throw something at an orc or a dungheap, I will have no objection, because orcs don't exist and dungheaps don't mind. But if a kid decides that a good way to impress a girl is to throw something at a horse, a cow or a sheep, I *will* object, quite strenuously.

How about orcs being violent creatures, mythical though they be. So they act like it.

If you seriously feel kids are going to be influenced to act like that because of one lame, obviously made-up, fairytale story in an online game, I feel you should not go after the game, but after the parents for failing to teach their kids common sense and for not teaching them to be able to differentiate between a game and reality.

DeletedUser1095

Sigh. Of course the parents of any such pre-psychotic children deserve to be "gone after", but it's easier for me to ask Inno to change (approximately) seven words of this lame storyline.
Can you please explain why you don't want Inno to do that? why it's so important to you to keep this crummy little tale the way it is? I'm curious.

SoggyShorts

it's easier for me to ask Inno to change (approximately) seven words of this lame storyline.
Can you please explain why you don't want Inno to do that?
Because it sets a ridiculous precedent. It would mean that inno is in fact answerable to every precious snowflake that might get offended by something, which apparently these days is everything.
Remember when cartoons like wile-e coyote didn't have "don't try this at home" warnings because we weren't morons?

DeletedUser736

Because orcs are nonexistent
Violence against sentient creature is ok if it is fictional. So slam a horn on your horse and it's ok. Le'ts call him unicorn puncher yay! I feel so more virtuous all of a sudden.
Does the animal cruelty have some value in this storyline? Is it entertaining? educational? artistic? cool?
None of the above. It simply does not matter. It is not animal cruelty. No horses where harmed, and if you think horse puncher is a idiot, like I do, then probably you are right in the zone Inno wanted you to feel about the character.
But if a kid decides that a good way to impress a girl is to throw something at a horse, a cow or a sheep, I *will* object, quite strenuously.
And certainly, if that happens, Inno would be responsible for that.
this extremely lame story.
At least we agree on 4 words :D

DeletedUser1767

I kept track of how long it took me to complete the event in all three of my cities.

- Beta city, chapter five, ~ 3 hour scout times: finished with 3 days, 7 hours remaining
- Arendyll city, end of tech tree, ~ 1.25 day scout times: finished with 7 days, 9 hours remaining
- Winyandor city, chapter five, ~3 hour scout times: finished with 7 days, 10 hours remaining

My Winyandor city should have finished a day faster, except I was stupid and did stupid things in a stupid order at the last minute, so the Arendyll and Winyandor cities should be about a day apart. Also, if I didn't stubbornly refuse to upgrade my Winyandor barracks, I don't think the Arendyll city would have caught up as well. Even so, that's close. It suggests that the devs did a good job of balancing the event for smallish to largish cities if said cities haven't gone extremely far beyond what they expect in terms of scouting, my Arendyll city being slightly outside the GZ but not outside it to the extent that I had to spend six days of the event on that.

My Beta city took significantly longer because, unlike the others, it didn't have the advantage of a lot of extra space for event buildings (until very shortly before the end, when it was too late to matter). I had and used the spoilers, which expedited things slightly, but my boost is steel, and I only had room for four extra workshops or steel factories at a time, so honestly I don't think much would have changed for me if I hadn't used the spoilers.

But I have the advantage of working from home and thus being able to check on things every few hours. I'm kind of dubious that someone who doesn't have that luxury, didn't use spoilers, and didn't have a lot of extra space to fill with event buildings would have been able to finish. Particularly in light of the fact that the last two steps are extremely easy to screw up even if you know they're coming ( :oops: ) and both of them have the potential to require a lot of time. And for people significantly past the GZ... you can set up a lot of things to trigger all at once, but dang, that does not leave you much room for error, and if you're busy and not using spoilers... yikes.

So I think, looking at my data points, that I'm inclined to agree that the event should have been a few days longer, and also that the last two events... well, from a narrative perspective, I can see why they're there at the end, but I don't think that really works mechanically, not for an event of this size. The "complete a tech" quest, in particular, would have been fine in an event like the Solstices, but it's not really very well-suited to these chamber-sized events. I'm glad "or be at the end of the tree" was an available option, though. Also, while I don't think my longer Arendyll scouting times affected me much personally, I do agree they should resurrect "or have X provinces complete" as an alternative to scouting for these shorter events until the longer-time players have been able to get back to shorter scouting times.

Dhurrin

@Mink
I was planning to answer, but @SoggyShorts and @galoyal pretty much already have done so.
This is a game. I expect people to be able to know the difference.

Not to mention I find it extremely important people make up their own minds, and not have everything that might conceivably hurt someones feelings be erased. Especially not if its just fiction. Its a very widespread problem at the moment, people are being taught WHAT to think, not HOW to think. Teaching them how to think is extremely likely to have them come to the right answer too, but for themselves.
Ive worked for years as a volunteer in a petshelter, and have seen more than enough real cruelty to animals, but there is no animal being harmed here.
If everything that MIGHT hurt someone or some animal is going to be a problem nobody can ever do, or write, anything ever again.
Its kinda like wanting to lock people up because they MIGHT do something. That would lead to everyone being in jail.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1877

I tend to agree, children are capable of knowing the difference if the are raised and educated well. I, personally, miss the days when Superman and Batman beat the <*splat*> out of the bad guys.