• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion [Discussion] Fellowship-based tournaments

SoggyShorts

@CrazyWizard
In north america the tournament starts between 8 to noon depending on time zone, so many players are already at work.
This means you lose 8h of tournament time right off the start since you are already at work and can't start the first round until you get home.
If you work 9-5 (pretty normal) you get home and can log in around 530-6
16 hours after 6pm is 10am. Guess what? You're at work again.
R1: Tues 6pm
R2: Wed 6pm
R3: Thu 6pm
R4: Fri 6pm
R5: Sat 10am just before tournament ends depending on if you live east coast or west coast.

Please show me a schedule where someone who works 9-5 can do 6 stars if the tournament starts at 9am, and you don't have access to a computer at work.

DeletedUser

wow if you have already issues with 12/24/36/48 hour patters then maybe something is wrong with you.

If a little less sleep for 1 single day will put you in danger than all parent will die soon.
sleep patterns and (little)children do not match.
is not just one single day. is one single day every week for years... that accumulated.
Parents will die sooner. Thats for sure. (Little) children are no joke. Why parents have more trouble waking up then children? Because of all missing sleep from the past and how this affects person's metabolism. Sleeping is more important then everybody thinks.
Problem with 12, 24, 36, 48 you need to be EXACT on time [means you do need to focus everything around elvenar] or your lose one cycle or part of cycle and balance is off.
How all is messed up become when you start upgrading Mushroom farms.
Or producing SoW because you need to wait for dung's. If you cut MF's ~60 minutes [11/23/35/47] it would be totally different. It would still take long enough. But it wouldn't cause you to fall back. Best example is 23 h wait time for NH, you can actually come back without losing a day but you need some serious effort.

I think tournament wait time shouldn't be higher then 12 hours. Even this too much prefer 10h. There should be more flexibility in the game. All latest updates gives us less and less flexibility.

You can't produce more units then X units. Losses are greater with every second province. You lose more then you can produce at same time. [You know your limits]. Negotiation costs are everything BUT funny.

Look you can't go over level 6 in tournaments so why have wait time at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Problem with 12, 24, 36, 48 you need to be EXACT on time
This is a valid point. What I imagine most players do is lose a cycle every few days.
using 24h cycle as an example
start to set everything at 9pm
next day they pop at 9:05, then 9:10, then 9:15 etc until it no longer fits your schedule and you skip a day.
A reduction from 24 hours to 23 hours does solve this, which I imagine is the reason NH is 23h.

DeletedUser1777

I'm infected by the virus Elvenar (sounds a bit like AA o_O) and are very happy to have the possibility to log in at work.
In the beginning I didn't do that and the only effect it had: I was a bit slower in the development of my city. I LOST nothing ;)

The problem is, we are impatient and don't want to spend money to speed up :D So our solution is to plan our day around the timetable Elvenar is giving us. We are simply too ambitious. Noone is dying when he never gains a BP.

In my opinion, Inno is well aware that there always will be some player who play the game as we do.
I think a lot of players don't care if they miss a round or two in tournaments or have "waisted" 12 hours because the didn't managed it to pick up some goods in time. Inbetween they are getting a bit ambitious and spend some money to speed up a little or to gain a special reward at an Event. They are most likely the ones who are paying the salaries at Inno.

As long as the average player is staying in game and paying from time to time some money, all will be fine for Inno. Inno seems only to react, when more than the (well known and usually in forum writing) players starting to complain or the ambitious player is showing them something they didn't considered enough and they made a bigger mistake. They don't want us to lose the interest in the game.

The only thing we can do is giving Inno suggestions for further development and balancing of the game, this we do a lot. Would be interesting to see how much money they save, because they don't need to pay a professional game designer for this job :cool:

Of course I would really appreciate some changes (i.e. shorten the tournament timer), because it would make it much easier to play the game and reach the goals for all of us. But on the other hand, when make things too easy there won't left much to be proud of. Everytime if finished some "hard" thing in game I'm kind of proud, silly but true.

Sorry, my whole post seems to be totally off topic :eek:

I need to print this out and read it, everytime I'm getting too ambitious :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

You seem smart, You could explain us the difficulty level, when you do not have opportunity to compete? Because some "know it all" Thought 16 hours wait time is appropriate/equal across all time zones.

Is this still about ambitious?

[ignore all this... i forgot you can always buy opportunity]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1777

Because some "know it all" Thought 16 hours wait time is appropriate/equal across all time zones.
I think this is one of the big mistakes Inno did. They didn't consider the big impact it would have in timezones like the US market. My simple solution for that would be, to switch the country servers to local time zone.
BUT I suspect Inno don't want to invest into the additional administration this would cause.

PS: I'm no native speaker, in spite give me the benefit of the doubt :)

DeletedUser1657

I think this is one of the big mistakes Inno did. They didn't consider the big impact it would have in timezones like the US market. My simple solution for that would be, to switch the country servers to local time zone.
BUT I suspect Inno don't want to invest into the additional administration this would cause.

Doing this would reduce the window of time when tournaments are not running in a week. As certain updates occur when tournaments are not functioning I would expect it is intentional that tournaments have a gap between end/start for just such a reason and also that will be why the start/finish times are universal.

With the multitude of servers that they have they would want a certain amount of standardisation to keep things simple. Anything they do to increase the overheads of managing the game is going to come back to the players in some form of diamond inflation. While many might be free to play players there is still a dependence on paying players to keep the game going.

DeletedUser1767

I live in NYC, so the tournament starts for me in the middle of the day. Fortunately for me, I work at home, so I'm usually able to slip into my city in time to get started right off the gate, and therefore I'm also usually able to get to six stars. BUT I can generally only do that by staying up later than I want to on either Wednesday or Thursday, which is bad for me because I have chronic sleep problems. Also, the window is pretty unforgiving. One little thing going off-schedule even slightly means no sixth star for me that week.

This not such a big deal in my two smaller cities, since there I'm comfortably within the GZ, rune shards are easy to get, and the tournament is mostly about upping my boosts. But it is a big deal in my main city.

My primary reason for playing tournaments at all is to get rune shards for my main city. Since I've decided to stop scouting in that city for at least another chapter to try to get the scouting times down, tournaments are the only option I have for getting runes that don't involve diverting my KP from tech to someone else's Wonder (and then maybe not getting a shard). I'm at or near max on my boosts in that city, and ranking points, for me, are mostly only a nice bonus. That means getting the rune shards that come with that sixth star is more or less the entire point -- unless it's my silk boost (the only one not at max), I don't even bother with the fifth round if I know I can't get the sixth. It's not worth it for me. If I didn't work from home, I would probably never do non-boosted tournaments past the fourth round.

It seems to me that if even players who can get the sixth star in the US can only do so with very precise scheduling and forfeiting sleep, this is a problem. Shortening the timer by even two hours would make everything much better.

DeletedUser1777

With the multitude of servers that they have they would want a certain amount of standardisation to keep things simple.
Maybe it would be enough to split server time for a continent.
I think this would mean just 2 are needed: European an US - shouldn't be that hard. They could postpone the starting time for the US tournaments so they still will have the time window on monday and partly tuesday to do their critical updates or player movements.

DeletedUser1767

Maybe it would be enough to split server time for a continent.
I think this would mean just 2 are needed: European an US - shouldn't be that hard. They could postpone the starting time for the US tournaments so they still will have the time window on monday and partly tuesday to do their critical updates or player movements.
It might need a third -- not sure this would help the Australians. Would e.g. the Brazilians then also be on the Western Hemisphere server time?

CrazyWizard

you can't cater people playing at a server from "another country" off course it should use local time.
As for player movement and such is doesnt really matter 3pm in the morning is locally still 3pm in the morning.

Only importanceis that everything is after the other live servers for timing. so an aussie server could not use local time or be set back a whole day in the scedule, because if bugs arive they have to be found and fixed on german time.

But since US dwellers live in the past anyway, for them it doesnt matter ;)

DeletedUser1777

so an aussie server could not use local time or be set back a whole day in the scedule
I don't think they would mind if their tournament i.e. end on sunday instad of saturday,

It could be an advantage for them, because they might have a little more time to do manually fights. Just might happen, some ppl would say it's unfair they have better chances to gain the last milestone :rolleyes:

But now we are on 3 server timezones already (didn't take brasilians into account) :confused:

CrazyWizard

Thanks to a mayor bug, the best 13 players on the dutch server together made the 440k mark.

It was like a free killing spree this week, only bounded by the amount of treants a person could spare.

again

ONLY BECAUSE A MAYOR BUG THAT REMOVED THE SORCERES AND CANNONEERS SPECIAL POWER!!!!

DeletedUser1657

Thanks to a mayor bug, the best 13 players on the dutch server together made the 440k mark.

It was like a free killing spree this week, only bounded by the amount of treants a person could spare.

again

ONLY BECAUSE A MAYOR BUG THAT REMOVED THE SORCERES AND CANNONEERS SPECIAL POWER!!!!

They mentioned they were monitoring tournaments in relation to the reward requirements. I hope they factor in this bug for this event as the results will skew their analysis.

Dony

King of Bugs
that awkward moment when whole server went ham on tournament till they reached 1st reward and then all stopped doing tournament because they realized how they were scammed :)

ALdbeign

The first reward is not very appealing lol, on the two live worlds i play, one has a lot who already like the tourney so we are clearing CP4 and expect to end up with between 5-7 rewards, the other we have barely broken CP1 and while i hoped (with 6 members who have a scroll boost) we might hit CP2, i (with a chapter 3 city) have the highest score @1200. Happily the new trader isnt in yet so I can still negotiate (yes, i have been trading my coins/hammers for steel to help negotiate when i have tapped my neighbors and FS for that good and/or am out of my own boosted to trade with)

Buttrflwr

Ok, I'll admit I skimmed the last 3-4 pages of this discussion, and if this was mentioned there, I apologize. Am I the ONLY one that wishes that the tourneys would be ON WEEKENDS? The last couple of times they have had to delay them and they were on the weekend were the best for me. (Like the one on live now) I WORK during the week, gone for 11 hours sometimes, and the provinces always reset when I can't access them. On weekends, I have a much better chance of progressing. ALSO, I know this was mentioned elsewhere...many many many times, but PLEASE shorten the 16 hr timers. That is just insane for people with lives. I really don't understand why the tourneys end at 12 noon on SATURDAY. That eliminates almost the entire weekend. (For US servers, anyway.) Could I PLEASE get some love for weekend tourneys Stateside? :D (And shorter timers) ;)

Thank you for listening, @Marindor *Insert Angel emotie here*

ALdbeign

On weekends, I have a much better chance of progressing. ALSO, I know this was mentioned elsewhere...many many many times, but PLEASE shorten the 16 hr timers. That is just insane for people with lives. I really don't understand why the tourneys end at 12 noon on SATURDAY. That eliminates almost the entire weekend. (For US servers, anyway.) Could I PLEASE get some love for weekend tourneys Stateside? :D (And shorter timers) ;)
signed.gif