• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion A Valentine's Wedding

cpickett76

I think they did a great job with the event. The storyline was amusing, quests were in line with the prize being offered, gain, goods, supplies & coins quest amounts were very reasonable. I think this event should not be difficult for smaller cites to complete and that is great. I do think solve 20 encounters is a bit much if you are trying to discourage over scouting. Especially with the increased number of events we have now. Why not gain 20 relics instead? That way a player could decide which is best, get some or all from the map or from tournaments. I'd also like to see the 3 and 5 minute speed boosts back as rewards. Those were nice for when I had to leave soon and had an upgrade almost finished :)

DeletedUser2326

I think the quests were way too hard for small cities like I have in Beta. The bigger cities may not have a problem with it; but, personally, I kind of feel left out as there is no way I could achieve the prize and it's not enough for me to do all that work, assuming I could.

Why can't you guys have two different versions? There could be one for cities less than xx score and one for the other bigger cities. Just a thought.

Alcaro

I am just at the beginning of Ch.3 and my T1 is somewhere around 3k each and even though I have the necessary provinces opened I am affraid it will be a hard task to complete 20 encounters.

DeletedUser332

@Marindor

I'm gonna chime in and say of all the quests in events like this one, the 'upgrade x buildings to level y or higher' are the ones that I really don't understand from a design perspective. I mean, I can't really think of a player who, just by design of the game as a whole, always has multiple buildings ready to upgrade to complete these quests. As a late-game player (on the live server though, not here on beta), I always have to complete them by building brand-new buildings exclusively for the event which I then tear down once the event is over. I imagine a lot of players participating in events are doing the exact same thing I am. Is this odd style of play, where you're rotating low-level buildings into and out of your city simply for quest needs rather than wholesale city advancement, intended by the developers? Or how do they envision that players complete quests like this in their idealized version of the game? It just doesn't really make sense to me, and the tasks, while not difficult, end up being somewhat annoying all the same.

This isn't so much a 'this is the worst event ever, Inno sucks' type of criticism since the event as a whole was little trouble to get through and I'm personally a fan of reading quest/story dialogue, but I find the quests with 'abnormal' requirements like this one to be somewhat jarring in my gameplay so I'm curious why they're included. Perhaps alternatives could be offered simultaneously in these quests?

SoggyShorts

the 'upgrade x buildings to level y or higher' are the ones that I really don't understand from a design perspective.
What do you think about replacing them with
"Upgrade a building to (Max level for the highest chapter that you have finished) or Have 10 buildings of that level or higher"
There's a possible flaw for those with all magic buildings, but a simple hidden 3rd option where a magic level x counts as a normal level y should fix that.

The other side of this is that perhaps inno adds in some quests like this and mixed tier 1 productions in order to force us to do things that are otherwise useless for our cities. If we only had quests for things we would have done anyways, then they could just give us the prize for logging in.
Note: I'm not saying little improvements or even a massive overhaul to quests aren't called for, just trying to see it from all angles.

DeletedUser332

@SoggyShorts I can't really hammer down any specific examples myself, since I feel like they're so numerous that there are plenty of possibilities. I'm just personally opposed to this growing emphasis on saving open space in your city for what are otherwise useless buildings just for the sake of completing quests. I'm fine with quests requiring high-level building upgrades (which, funny enough, usually have alternatives) and even scouting is preferable to me despite taking 30+ hours because at least that's something that ultimately benefits and goes along with normal gameplay. Throwing down several brand-new buildings merely to upgrade to level 4, 5, 6 or whatever and bin them afterward (as well as the t1 quests which I overlooked) isn't in line with 'normal', unless there is indeed a paradigm shift in development where this is actually intended gameplay moving forward.

I do think that there are enough quests that are impossible to have 'auto complete' requirements for (like encounters/relics, KP and gathering quests) so there's always going to be some level of work involved, but quests like the aforementioned just fly in the face of normal gameplay so much (although the t1 quests are also included in FAs, so these are probably here to stay) that I feel it's time attention was called to them.

SoggyShorts

I'm just personally opposed to this growing emphasis on saving open space in your city for what are otherwise useless buildings just for the sake of completing quests
It certainly isn't a direction I like either, but part of the problem is that almost all quests are complained about.
  • 50 beverages? Too tedious
  • Mixed T1? I don't want those buildings/no room
  • Solve x encounters? I'm not in orcs yet/too expensive
  • Gain relics? Too many/too hard/have to wait for tournament
  • Short productions? Too many
  • Long production? Too slow
  • Scout a province?Scouts take too long
  • Upgrade a building? I'm maxed out
  • Gain xxxx goods/accept 3 trades? I'm not in a FS/my neighborhood sucks
That really just leaves "gain coins/supplies", "move a building", and "produce boosted goods that fit your normal schedule" All of which can be completed instantly.
I don't know what the solution is, other than a moderate amount of each until we see this "total quest overhaul" that is supposed to be in the works.

DeletedUser332

It certainly isn't a direction I like either, but part of the problem is that almost all quests are complained about.
That really just leaves "gain coins/supplies", "move a building", and "produce boosted goods that fit your normal schedule" All of which can be completed instantly.
I don't know what the solution is, other than a moderate amount of each until we see this "total quest overhaul" that is supposed to be in the works.

That's the thing though, pretty much all of those objectives you listed are a part of normal gameplay. Even upgrading buildings is, but I think it could be vastly improved by reducing the number to one upgrade, and loosely basing it on chapter (since most buildings have different max upgrade levels available). Even if no alternative is offered, at least one meaningful upgrade is better than 4+ useless ones. There could also be more emphasis on spending KP for quests, if nothing else or as a catch-all alternative, amount varying based on the 'primary' task. We all get KP, but we have to pay/tap into exhaustible sources in order to obtain more than one per hour. And if you don't want to pay, then you get a sort of 'penalty' by waiting to generate that amount of KP rather than, for example, upgrading 4 buildings to level 5 or higher.

SoggyShorts

That's the thing though, pretty much all of those objectives you listed are a part of normal gameplay.
And that's why I personally don't mind most of them. What I'm saying is that because players complain about all of them, inno doesn't listen.
Some of what are imo the better ones like solve,relics,and scout are the most complained about, but are arguably the best ones for advancing your city.
There could also be more emphasis on spending KP for quests
Right, I forgot about the "spend KP" quests Those are actually the best ones imo. Something you do anyways, something everyone can always do, but with a cost for doing it faster than normal.

Edit: "Gain a spell" is pretty good too. Almost everyone has the MA, and you can get more from visits and the tournament.
Also falls into the category of something(almost) everyone can(almost) always do, but with a cost for doing it faster than normal.
Even upgrading buildings is, but I think it could be vastly improved by reducing the number to one upgrade, and loosely basing it on chapter
This sounds a lot like my suggestion above:
"Upgrade a building to (Max level for the highest chapter that you have finished) or* Have 10 buildings of that level or higher"
A quest that either encourages progress, or rewards progress already made.

*It needs that "or" option for players who are maxed out. I try to always keep 1-2 workshop s/residences underleveled, as well as an armory, but that is kinda lame.

Last edited:

DeletedUser2326

I don't mind the beverages, bread, and other short term productions. Scouting a province is no big deal, since I'm still small. Accepting three trades is no problem. Upgrading a building .... maybe, limited on space and keep them upgraded as much as possible. Solve x encounters ... possibly a problem since I don't have enough troops to fight and don't always have the goods to cater. My neighborhood sucks too. That's what FS are for. I think moving a building is very boring. Just give us the points. :rolleyes:o_O

DeletedUser2326

Why not allow FS members to join in together to make those cross tier badges - in adventures at least?

SoggyShorts

I don't mind the __________________
Exactly, almost no one minds all of the quests, but also almost no one likes all of the quests either.
There is certainly no consensus that we can present to the developers.
Why not allow FS members to join in together to make those cross tier badges - in adventures at least?
I would like to see this too as it makes sense in the FA. A fellowship is largely based on having players work together by having different skills(boosts).
For all members to make all things doesn't fit.
We know inno can tailor quests based on your boosted type, so for the FA we should make badges of that type.

Last edited: