• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Fixed [4381] memory leak by town visiting

DeletedUser

I make some tests with the usage of the memory by doing different things. If I do nothing, the game starts with ~350MB needed RAM (flash).
If I do polish my neighbours, every in and out the memory rises up. The consume depends on the city, larger citys produces a lot of memory usage. The problem is, if you leave the town, not all memory would be give free. If you wait sometime, the used memory goes down, but not to the starting value. After some in and outs with waitingtime a need 520MB.

If I visit my town, the memory usage goes up. Not very fast, but permanently 0.1 MB by ~10 seconds, and the CPU is by 10-14%. The world map need less CPU (0.1%) and the memory don´t goes up (5 minutes I looked), the memory cleaning works.

Player Name:
Denali

World: beta

Operating System: win8.1

Browser and Version:firefox 35.0.1 (32 Bit)

Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

DeletedUser18

Thank you for this feedback. I am going to run some tests on my own system to see if I can see a pattern but as what you are describing will be heavily influenced on system specs. I am not sure if I will be able to duplicate this.
Can I ask you to try similar testing on a different browser and see if you notice major differences. It would be helpful to have this information for comparison, thanks :)

DeletedUser

So now after the polish time, the usage of memory (flash prozess) is now 932 MB with firefox.
I test it now with IE 11.0.15

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

With the IE 11.0.15 the behavior is different. The memory usage is better, there is no permanent grow. Firefox use in my case a separat process with a flash component. The IE don`t create a own prozess for flash.

DeletedUser

Opera 27.0 works without permanent memory growing in the town, too. In these other two cases the memory don`t like often switches between towns and the world map. The behavior is the same, you use more and more RAM. With very good observed towns (high amount of city visits) and the usefull polishing this is not so optimal for system with less memory.

DeletedUser18

Thank you for the comparisons, I will still try to confirm the patterns you have observed.

DeletedUser

I have a ear for you, if you need more informations or tests. :)

DeletedUser

I have the same issue with Chrome since the patch. Version 40.0.2214.93 m on Win7. I went up to 970MB usage when visiting multiple towns

DeletedUser18

Very much appreciated, I may need additional data as I get deeper into producing similar results. Can I ask what your system memory is?

DeletedUser

I have 16GB RAM, but I know that the flash process frezzes with less than 1500Mb of usage. In this case the memory goes up with more than 20Mb per second. But I have only see this behavior in one case and I can`t it reproduce.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

A short test after 30 minutes:

start with: 1991,6 MB
30 min later: 1997,8

test.JPG

after opening the trader and closing the window the memory goes down to ~1820MB
and after this by doing nothing the memory wobbles but goes in summary a litte bit up
... I am waiting now

Marindor

Okay, so if I understand correctly, it's not a suprisingly big difference? When you're doing more actions, memory usage goes op a bit but not to abnormaly high usage, right?

DeletedUser

In the short time the difference is small yes. So the rise by doing nothing is by 10 Mbyte per 30 Minutes. With a smaller memory usage the raise is 10 MB per 10 minutes.

I think this is not so a "big" problem. At the moment I use waterfox (64 bit) because the game crashes not so often. With the normal firefox (32bit) I can`t do long time testings, the firefox crashes to often. Memory limit reached.

Have a look to the long time browser testing thread, I described there same things.

http://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/browser-testing-longtime-trial.570/

Marindor

Yes, we're following that topic as well. Thank you for sharing your experience there and for providing us with the additional information! :)

DeletedUser

You can close this thread if you want and clean the bug forum, I write usually in the long time test thread. But I am working these days/months so I play a little bit and write a little bit, but I spend not so much time by testing. In February I had more time.

DeletedUser

update.
memory usage over night
overnight.JPG

we see a "little" raise. With waterfox and enough memory this is not a problem, firefox (32bit) crashes with this amount of usage.