• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Fixed [4381] memory leak by town visiting

DeletedUser

Win 8.1
16 Ram
FF 36.0.4

I started with 391.3 ram taken by FF
I visited all discovered cities available to me 2 times (made 2 visits to each city, went in circles)
I ended up with 391.7 - 392 ram (fluctuates a little)

Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but no mem leak for me.

DeletedUser

Nice...

I was working and now I have this after visiting some towns:
x.JPG

and I have the bug, that it is not possible to click on a residence.

How large is your town xtcmax? I required 8107 culture. It could be, that this is one larger difference. If I visit a neighbor, I see for a short time my own town, and then the neighbors town. My town is not small.

DeletedUser

I tested on my normal town. I will post results when I have 8.2+ culture. (Right now it is at 1114)

DeletedUser

Hello,

i test on:
Windows 7 with Chrome - i don't see any Strange Movement of Ram.
300 - 450 mb (normal range)

Ubuntu 14 with Konqueror - anything.
180 - 250 mb (normal range - 1 process active)

@Denali i see 3,1% CPU Usage
You have some TAB of Client open? Type 10+ or similar?

Claudio.

DeletedUser

Hello Claudio,
nice to see you here. :)

The CPU consumption depends on the open window. In my town I need more CPU 10.8% (Waterfox), if I switch to the world map it goes up to 40% for a short time and goes to 0.3%. The CPU and RAM consumption depends heavy of the browser. Some browsers need more CPU and less RAM and reverse.
If you want to have a lot of CPU you must visit Khebeln and move the town map with the false browser ;-)

The difference between me and you both are the size of the town. It could be that one building need a lot of memory, so smaller towns don`t have this problem.
Now I go to bed and I have this:
ds.JPG

If I don`t reset the game by F5 or relog, I need every day more RAM. This is not good, actual the 3.2GB are more than a 32-bit system can handle. :eek:

DeletedUser

@Denali i download Waterfox and i try with this browser.

For size of the town I need wait time for level up! :)

Stay tunned.

P.S GN see you tomorrow!
./C

DeletedUser

over night by visiting my town:
dsf.JPG

the memory goes a little bit down. Now I go to work and let the world map open.

I know now why my residences produces nothing... after a upgrade, I need a refresh, but I don`t do this... it is testing time ;-)

DeletedUser

round about 7h later by visiting world map
cvn.JPG

So lovely devs... in 7h a grow of 1.7gb. Is this a memory leak or not? :D

DeletedUser

and it was not a good idea to visit my town... I must wait some minutes... but after I want back to the world map
--> crash of the game
crash.JPG

DeletedUser

I am not sure if its gonna be fixed :). Sometime ago i wanted to play Grepo on FF, but was told to install Chrome instead. Good and persistent testing though, thumbs up from me !

DeletedUser283

Hi,
I am using waterfox 37.0.1 with flash plugin 17.0.0.169 on windows 7 home premium 64;
when I visit my neighbours, I generally go to the world map, visit one, go back to the world map, visit another, and so on;
2 things can then be observed :
-it takes much longer to go back to the world map from a visited city than to go visit a city from the world map
-after visiting about 60 neighbours (that is all I got for the moment), memory utilization by Flash player plugin gets waaaaay above 1GB (1.9 GB is not uncommon);
in order to keep my PC running, I have to manually kill the plugin container via the task manager, and reload the game once the plugin is crashed;
memory usage then reverts to a more suitable value (<500 MB right now)
this seems to indicate that there is a memory leak somewhere in the loading of cities or in the loading of the map;

[edit]
since the update and the following hotfix, returning to the world map was much faster;
memory utilization is still the same : the plugin container peaked at 1.7 GB today ...
[/edit]

[edit2]
I found out lately that reloading the game is enough to clear memory utilisation by Flash :)
[/edit2]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser867

Do we need more data about the World Map City Visit Memory Leak, or is it pretty obvious to the QA/QC team?
It's pretty severe with Chrome. Like a gigabyte of memory that's not being properly released every time I tour the cities.

The memory leak could also be the root cause of a lot of the other flaky problems that we're seeing.

DeletedUser283

new info : I incidentally took a look at the task manager while the map was loading, and I noticed a sudden raise in memory usage (>100 MB);
after that I accessed a city (another 100MB), and went back to the map (> 100MB again) :
in total, memory usage by waterfox plugin-container raised from about 500 MB to more than 1000 MB with these 3 actions;
going back to my city took it back to about 900MB;
after a reload of the game, memory usage was back to the usual 500 MB...
it is what causes increased memory usage, and it is probably where devs should look for a memory leak ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser326

I took a Screenshot of Memory Usage after my neighbourly help round - as i notced extreme loading times of bigger cities.

PUa28Mw.jpg

I was shocked about the numbers i got. I'm used to 1.5 GB in Anno Online but there are much bigger maps. Nearly 6.5 GB on an extremely small map like elvenar is heavily to much. Other then Philplessis only a reload fixed the Problem. But as soon as i visit another Player Memory goes up a bit. This could kill entire Computer if the don't have enough Memory.

Yes, I have experienced similar numbers myself. It seems to be connected to the black screen issue as well (was reported in another thread). The more towns you visit, the higher the number gets. A reload indeed resets it, but when you start visiting others again, the numbers increase drastically.

DeletedUser967

I see the same problem and I checked it in my situation in a few simply steps, so:

1. First I log in to Elvenar and:
045885b8d7b67.png

2. Next I enter to map and visit ONE neighboor:
ada9f6a0f8fde.png

3. Then I visit next neighboor and motivate him:
36335b92a89cc.png

4. In next step I only visit 2 neighboors:
94803650b8cb2.png

5. Continue visiting and motivate in next 2 neighboors:
49cf635704959.png

6. Finally I come back to MY city:
cf25ebb08ba3b.png

I could check it only on small value of neighboors because I have just enough of them. In my situation ONLY enter to map and visit ONLY 1 neighboor is >600MB of memory and each next is ~100-300MB. When I back to my city value is a little less but stay as long as I'm online. When I enter to map again then used ~2,2kMB of memory - back to city again ~2000MB and every time when I repeat that - value increase.

DeletedUser283

at the moment, I do my neighbourhood visits by batches of 10 :
visit 10 neighbours, reload the game
visit another 10, reload, and so on
it allows memory usage to be kept within manageable values, and avoids getting the extended delays from city to map and back;
"fortunately", I only have 41 discovered and present neighbours, and the time taken to reload is clearly compensating the delays and possible crash I would experience if I tried to do all visits in a row;
now this is only a very lousy workaround ;)

DeletedUser967

When I reload the game then everything is okay - ope, wrong, is not okay - because when I visit neighboors AGAIN then situation appear again. But if I only reload and stay in my own city then I use ~400-700MB of ram what is big too but doesn't increasing as like during visiting on neighboors.
It's seriously problem, imagine when someone has 2/4GB of ram and try to visit 20 neighboors:eek::eek: