• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Fixed [4381] Browser testing (Longtime trial)

DeletedUser

This Thread decribes the different behavoir of common browsers and will be extended in the next days. I usually test long time running and the performance.
It contains no real game bugs. If some people want read it, let it open, if not please close. :)

Opera 27.0:
With my gaming style this browser works best. I have seldom frezzes or something else. If I use heavy other CPU performance programs (Cinema4D-rendering) the browser make no problem. The browser have no memory leak, it is possible to play very long. You can visit different towns/the world map without a critical amount (premised a valid gamingstyle).

IE 11.0.9600.:
This browser have often refresh problems. Sometimes the time was wrong shown in the tooltipps and it is not possible to click on some buildings after heavy CPU consumption. As example: One workshop is ready and I will start a new production. This is sometimes not possible, but it is possible to get the coins from a residence. Only a full game refresh helps.
The interrupt handling with heavy CPU is not so good as the opera. The game don`t accept sometimes inputs for many seconds.

Firefox 35.0.1:
actually not in the testing, look at the memory leak thread.

Player: Denali
Server: Beta
Res: 1980 x 1020
Win 8.1
RAM: 16 GB
CPU: i7-4700MQ
GPU: HD 4600 / GTX 770M
Samsung SSD

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser18

I am in full support of the intent of this thread. I would like to see Chrome and WaterFox added to the testing, so if anyone has time to try those as well, please do. I'm looking forward to see what observations everyone has, well done :)

DeletedUser

IE 11.0.9600.:
I have the IE open for ~6h. The IE crashed the memory usage was ~1046 MB. But same minutes befor I test how often I can in and out (worldmap/different players) and the memory goes up to ~1200MB. It seems the the critical memory is a litte bit over 1 GB Ram with IE and Firefox (Opera are unknown, runs longer without problems).
Funny was the world map a short time befor the IE crashes. It shows like a honeycomp structure.

http://prntscr.com/62pzhp

DeletedUser

Update:
IE 11.0.9600.:
I detected a interessting thing. If I only do a common refresh, the problem with the honeycomp structure is not really gone. The difference is, the color is missing now.

http://prntscr.com/62q3qq
To solve this problem you must delete the browser cache and restart the browser.

DeletedUser

Update:
IE 11.0.9600.:
I have dedected the critical size of the memory. In my case it is ~1096MB. Is the size over this, it snips something from the pictures away. In a town is in this case on the left side a white place and on the right place the normal grafics.
So I can play roundabout a half day without visiting my neighbours. If I then collect my neighbor bonus (~35 villages) the critical size is reached.

Seldom I saw that the grafic driver crashes and must the game reload, but I can't it reproduce. The honeycomp structure is often visible.

Generally it is not a good idea to play with the IE very long without closing/relog the game.

DeletedUser136

It shows like a honeycomp structure.
I'm on a computer that runs the same IE most of the time and I also get the honeycomb structure on the map quite a bit. It usually occurs if I'm doing a lot of battles... closing the browser and restarting it is an hourly thing if I'm playing.

DeletedUser315

Hi all , I'm using Waterfox & put about 10-15 hrs game-play in daily (most days) . & would be willing to monitor & give feedback to the thread if needed .
At the moment i'v had no probs with honeycombing & I only really have to refresh the game if i jump over to FoE for some battles ( once - twice daily max & i only do this as habit ) .
If you (the thread) needs numbers from task manager (memory usage) , could you fill me in on how i should monitor these memory leaks etc etc .

Home built PC .
OS - Windows 7 Professional.
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 - 3.40 GHz
GPU - ATI Radion HD - 1GB memory x 2 (SLI)
Ram - 8GB/ Upgraded motherboard a few weeks ago to take up-to 32GBs of Ram. cant wait to see the difference when new Ram arrives in post .
1 X 120GB SSDs
1 X 1TB HDD

I placed my OS onto my SSDs last week and found my PC runs like a dream , so so so much faster .(would recommend this for all desktops)

DeletedUser

You can check your memory with the task manager. You open it with the combination of ALT+STRG+DEL and open in this window the task manager. Alternativ you can use the command line with the command "taskmgr".
If you use firefox, then you see firefox and something with flash. Elvenar is a flash based thing, so the memory of flash goes up and down. Other browsers don`t splitt the memory and you must control the browser itself.

DeletedUser315

@Denali ,
my browser (WF) is running at 402,000k & my plug-in container(flash) is running at 465,000k usage . That's some amount of memory usage for a browser game (no other browser tabs/programs running) never really took notice of that before .
I know how to get to these in the TM.
Thing is , do i monitor these figures over a certain amount of time or when i notice in game bugs or crashes or graphical errors ?

DeletedUser

It is a testing, do what you want. Everything can be importend. So feel free and test all possible things. For a developer I think he would know situations when the game crashes, because this is a "showstopper".

If only I have a problem this is only a single problem,but if you can confirm a crash... so it is very good to know.

DeletedUser

Opera 27.0:
So I have now kill the opera browser
Operaabsturz.JPG
The critical size is nearly the same as IE or Firefox (1255MB), but the time to get this is higher. I need more than 50h onlinetime.

DeletedUser

Chrome 40.0.2214.111m:
This browser need less memory, but Elvenar whats access to the camera and microphone. Why?
cameramicrophone.JPG

I tested Chrome not so long, but I think this browser is the best for Elvenar, the memory usage is very low in comparison with other browsers. I hope I can wait a long time for the next crash :)

DeletedUser

Chrome 40.0.2214.111m:

I am actually testing chrome and I can see a heavy CPU consumption. My CPU runs with ~3GHz and nearly 4 of 8 threads are used by Elvenar if I want this with visiting the No1 player and move the map. This is definitly to much.
For comparison: EvE-Online runs with 6 to 8% of CPU.

Chrome need much more CPU than other browsers, but the RAM handling is better than firefox. With the last update the game runs slower, I will check this better when Chrome have the next crash.

cpu.jpg

Chrome 40.0.2214.111m
Player: Denali
Server: Beta
Res: 1980 x 1020
Win 8.1
RAM: 16 GB
CPU: i7-4700MQ
GPU: HD 4600 / GTX 770M
Samsung SSD

DeletedUser

The long time testing is not longer possible, because a new timer prevent this, sorry.

Edit:
patch day, I am not sure about the modification. I will test now waterfox

DeletedUser

Waterfox 35.0.1

I visited a lot of towns to killing the 64Bit browser. Actually the container for Elvenar needs over 2000Mb memory.
2gb.JPG

So it is not good to visit a lot of towns. I visited roundabout 100 towns to get this nice usage, but the browser runs and runs. Firefox and the others from the test are all 32 -bit versions.

After waiting some minutes in the world map we see this:
waiting.JPG

Waiting longer:
longer.JPG

So the automatic memory cleaning works by visiting the world map.

If I visit the own town and wait, the ram consumption don`t goes really down. It is always the same or you wait a lot of time (5 minutes), than the memory goes 0.1MB down. This is nothing ;-)

The CPU is higher if you visit a town, but the KI to reduce the CPU amount works. Actually I write in waterfox too, and the needed container CPU goes down to 0.3%. If I switch to Elvenar in the own town, the CPU goes to 11%.

So we can say, for great towns and a lot of scouted towns (daily polishing) a 32- bit browser is often not good, you must refresh it.

DeletedUser

Waterfox 35.0.1

I tested the memory by long time visiting a town.
memoryleak.JPG

Some days ago I detected a memory leak in firefox, if I visit a town. Waterfox have the same problem, but crashes later with a large CPU consumption.

Generally only the memory cleaning works by visiting the world map.