• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion The Mystery of the Misty Forest

Marindor

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your feedback, everything has been forwarded. As I've said before: an explanation video will be made before the Live release, so it was very helpful to read all the points that need careful explanation in here, thank you for that.

I think you've helped each other out with most of the questions. To answer 2 of the newer questions that aren't answered yet I believe:

How do you get a 'clear patch', I can obtain a candle however it has no affect on the board.

When you use a candle on a foggy patch right next to a clear patch, you clear the fog from that patch. In the app you need to drag the candle, in the browser you need to click the candle on the left first and then click the fogged patch you want to clear. You can only clear the highlighted fogged patches. The dark fog patches are too far away. You'll first need to make your way there to be able to clear them.

Observing:
1. Clear patch of fog with candle and fog moves to empty patch...

A. Could there now be something in that previous clear patch ?

2. How can i move the map if i dont want to clear remaining foggy patches ?

3. What am i missing to comprehend?

1. When a fogged patch is highlighted (so when it borders a clear patch), you can already see if there is any reward underneath. If there's not (and that patch is not the way through which you want to advance), it's no use clearing it. A reward can't suddenly appear after clearing if you didn't see it yet when it was still foggy. For dark fogged patches, you can't see if there's any reward there yet. You'll need to clear a bordering patch first in order to highlight it and see if there's anything hidden in the fog.

2. You can't. Each time you clear a foggy patch on the right side of where you currently are, the map will move along 1 step to the right. If you leave all the fogged patched on the right side fogged, the map won't move any further. So sometimes (if an entire column doesn't contain any rewards), you'll need to clear a patch with no rewards in order to advance further.

Edit: Should anything still be unclear, here's a summary of some parts of the event mechanics that were mentioned in this thread so far:

-If you don't see any rewards in the highlighted fog (the patches at the border where you are), it means there are no rewards under that fog. This also means that there are patches that don't have any rewards at all.
-Lanterns and Flash Flasks can only be used on a patch that is already cleared from fog. Candles can only be used on the foggy patches themselves.
-When you clear patches to the right, the screen will move along with you. This means that if you don't pick up your rewards in time, they will be removed from the screen.
-You don't need to clear all the patches of fog. The goal is to progress to the right strategically, while picking up as many rewards which interest you as possible. E.g. when you see an entire column at the border of where you are (so with highlighted fog) which doesn't contain any rewards underneath, it's a waste of object to clear all these fog patches.
-Obstacles, like rocks and bushes, block you from being able to move through that space.
-The lost items you find can contain a variety of possible rewards when you pick them up, including the daily rewards.

Last edited:

GerdyaanB

A clear square stays clear. Nothing moves into it. The field moves forward as you clear squares on the right edge of the grid. You cannot make it move unless you clear the squares.
I still dont understand my observation at 1.

Furthermore if nothing with fog is displayed at last column one is forced to clear something else....which i dont want because i know
It means candle is spent for nothing except enabling last column...

little bee

You need to reevaluate your math
clearing tiles is only half job
second half is revealing tiles
so max you can get without luck (or checking game files, then its far more) are
candle can clear 1 tile and reveal 3 tiles = 4 tiles (or more with luck)
lantern can clear 5 tiles and reveal 9 tiles = 14 tiles (or more with luck)
flask can clear 7 tiles and reveal 9 tiles = 16 tiles (or more with luck)
and because this minigame contain dead ends and moving around to find another path its impossible to do with candles only, unless you are aiming for 3 artifacts total, then its fine

so strategy is obvious, you reveal tiles with flasks and laterns and clear usefull ones with candles

All right, I admitt that I am not familiar with this kind of minigame, so this might be a stupid question. But where exactly are you placing your lanterns and flash flasks?
From the numbers above it looks like you are placing them on revealed tiles with as few revealed tiles around them as possible. This requires the use of at least two candles right before wich is not possible with a ratio of 18/7/7.

So to me the obvious strategy would be :
1) Use 1-2 candles to clear a patch for the lantern / flask.
2) Use lantern/ flask to reveal tiles.
3) Use candles to grab loot.

Have you played this style of minigame much? I've spent a few hundred hours on it, and I can assure you that a flask or lantern has far more value than a candle. It's super easy to find a situation where you can clear 2 squares usefully with one because "going right" isn't the only goal- prizes are going to be up and down from you as well.
Obviously, just one kind is bad, but drilling a hole with candles through the middle and blasting around you to grab the prizes with lanterns and flasks if by far the most efficient way to clear.
With bad luck and poor planning, you may need to supplement the 18/7/7 package with 3-4 candles, but it shouldn't be much more than that since in the absolute worst-case scenario a flash is a candle.
Well, I didn't really doubt that. I have no problem beliving that a lantern/ flask can be twice as usefull as a candle. I just don't belive that they will ever be 3,5 / 5 times as usefull. And this is what the prices imply. Also supplementing each package with 3-4 candles will add up to a lot of candles.
Its not like I want lanterns / flasks removed from the game. I just think that there should be a candle pack or at least a different ratio.

Uffauffa

A clear square stays clear.
Unfortunately, not in the app version. I had few foggy square with clear square next, putted a candle over the fog and the next square, once clear, became foggy.
A bug? I don't know... for sure I don't have the perception of what has to be cleared before going further.
By the way, I spent almost around 500 magic ingredients and still at 10/20 for the first Grand Prize...

Update: an automatic game update unlocked my map... I fear it was a bug then...

Last edited:

Marindor

@Uffauffa App version 1.114 is needed for the event to work properly. If you still encounter any issues in this app version, could you please create a bug report in this section of our forums, following the bug report template explained in this thread, so we can investigate it? Thank you!

Dony

King of Bugs
From the numbers above it looks like you are placing them on revealed tiles with as few revealed tiles around them as possible. This requires the use of at least two candles right before wich is not possible with a ratio of 18/7/7.
Following the strategy i mentioned earlier if you find out where empty tiles under fog is, you use candle on left adjacent tile to emtpy tile, so you use only 1 candle and then 1 flask or lantern, but usually you dont want to use lantern on columns where are hidden empty tiles, you need to use them in a way that empy tiles is adjacent from left or right column, you will save tons of candles, because now you can use only 1 candle again and flask again.
If you use lantern and it reveals 3 items still in light fog close enough (where using 1 flask clear all 3 items for pick ups), using flask makes perfect sense, because it also revelas another 6 tiles around (in perfect scenario)
1) Use 1-2 candles to clear a patch for the lantern / flask.
2) Use lantern/ flask to reveal tiles.
3) Use candles to grab loot.
pretty much that would be ideal, so you distribute items properly between using them and wont end up with tons of flsks and lanterns and 0 candles

little bee

Following the strategy i mentioned earlier if you find out where empty tiles under fog is, you use candle on left adjacent tile to emtpy tile, so you use only 1 candle and then 1 flask or lantern, but usually you dont want to use lantern on columns where are hidden empty tiles, you need to use them in a way that empy tiles is adjacent from left or right column, you will save tons of candles, because now you can use only 1 candle again and flask again.
If you use lantern and it reveals 3 items still in light fog close enough (where using 1 flask clear all 3 items for pick ups), using flask makes perfect sense, because it also revelas another 6 tiles around (in perfect scenario)
What exactly do you mean by "empty tile under the fog" and why would I want to find those? Isn't the goal to find those tiles with rewards in them? Then I can just collect the rewards to make them empty.

Dony

King of Bugs
Under the fog there are already cleared and empty tiles which you can use in your advantage since you dont need to clear them with any item, you only need to reveal them and if you use item in a way that borders with empty tiles, you can reveal even more with every item you use
unless they fix that

little bee

Under the fog there are already cleared and empty tiles which you can use in your advantage since you dont need to clear them with any item, you only need to reveal them and if you use item in a way that borders with empty tiles, you can reveal even more with every item you use
unless they fix that
So how do you know that these tiles are empty?

Uffauffa

@Uffauffa App version 1.114 is needed for the event to work properly. If you still encounter any issues in this app version, could you please create a bug report in this section of our forums, following the bug report template explained in this thread, so we can investigate it? Thank you!
Thank you Marindor. That's what I did in the meantime (see "update") and since then everything seems to work properly.
So, the problem was I was stuck in the map (but not aware of), fearing to be obliged to clear all the fog before (maybe?) going further.

Karvest

unless they fix that
I think the bug is not that it exists in game files, but that it's not shown on the map. (there is no difference in game files between already seen empty spot and the one still fogged). Empty should look different than clear/clearable

Alcaro

I think I got it, thnx to the comments in this forum :) All in all I find it entertaining (so far).
I've spent around 800 thingies to buy lighting stuff and finally got 20 cats = 1 Hat. At this rate, no way I will get other 8 Hats :D :D, maybe other 4-5. Didn't get a daily, just some troops, 2 Candles and a Flask. Not much I must say.
Bottom line, the event it's fun but (not) surprisingly stingy.

FieryArien

unless they fix that
I think the bug is not that it exists in game files, but that it's not shown on the map. (there is no difference in game files between already seen empty spot and the one still fogged). Empty should look different than clear/clearable
That’s a radical thought. I like that possibility. :cool: @Dony, have you considered reporting it as a bug? If I’m not mistaken, no one responded here to your report/question about the empty tiles. In a bug thread we would have higher chance to get some official response ... Honestly, it does sound buggy.

Dony

King of Bugs
that should be ideal showing empty tiles as unfogged for everybody, so players can actually use some proper strategy with their items and many would like this minigame of maximising

Karvest

Marindor said that about existence of that spots, but not about visibility/invisibility anywhere iirc.

Deleted User - 62044

If I wanted to play FOE I would play FOE
I don't understand this vice of copy paste, of course the original game that many of us get hooked on is losing its original personality
it hurts because the graphics, as always, are very high level.