• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Relics Tessellate on the World Map

DeletedUser867

Tessallation.jpg

Relics tessellate on the World Map, using a 9x9 grid,
which means that the above pattern extends forever, in all four directions.

All Relics occur with equal frequency and have a similar distribution.

I'm using the sector numbering convention that we have in FoE
  • 1,1 is at the top left corner of the quadrant
  • Column, Row is how the coordinates are presented
  • Even numbered rows are offset to the right
The upper left quadrant defines the entire pattern.
The upper right quadrant is identical, and is only included to make the pattern more apparent.

The lower left quadrant is very similar to the upper left quadrant,
except that the pairs are vertically flipped.
The lower right quadrant is identical, and is only included to make the pattern more apparent.

Every third row is a city row, see
http://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/cities-on-world-map.794/,
but I've suppressed each of the city rows so that the relics pattern becomes more apparent.

There are a couple of suggestions floating around for better navigation tools on the World Map, successive rings in particular, which will not be useful because the location of relics has nothing to do with the distance from your city.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser136

successive rings in particular, which will not be useful because the location of relics has nothing to do with the distance from your city

I understand your point that rings have no effect on the number of relics you can gain, but for me that was never any part of the reason I wanted rings. I would just like them to be able to identify which provinces fall into which 'price and difficulty' range. I know that the cost of each province changes within a ring as you explore, but I mean the larger difference between exploring a 600 000 coin province in one ring or an 800 000 coin province in another (or whatever the current cost) and the change in enemy strength that goes with it.

DeletedUser205

interesting to study your tables.

my experience at the so to say "right side of the researchtree" is after all: in this game are no possibilitys to choose on ways how to play to use the knowledge of your tables.

the way through the researchtree is strictly set (with some little exceptions where I just could overjump city expansions - muhaha what a jolly joke). the way through the worldmap is strictly set too, you can't get far away in one direction (or must I say: I tried but couldn't?)

It seems, that lot of players are comparing elvenar with their experience to foe and are used of this limitations?
For me those restrictions are funkkiller in selfthinking. The game is more to find out the mechanic and than do what you have to do. The only thing you can choose is where you place your buildings and whether you try to contact neighbors or not.

To be correct: There is one other area, where you can make own desicions: fighting.
And that is the reason, why I concentrate on that part of the game.

to come back to your tables: how do YOU use them in the game? or did you work on them because there is not enough to do in the game and therefore you bother in developerstuff?

DeletedUser867

I need to find some more Marble, for one of my quests, and I was trying to figure out the cheapest (least dangerous) way to reach another Marble sector. I also didn't believe all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth about Magic Dust being impossible to "find in my neighborhood." It's protected by the toughest triple of fighters, to be sure, but it's just as common and as evenly distributed as any of the other goods.

There's also some sort of relationship between distance and scouting costs, and "common wisdom" suggests that fights become more expensive as you get further and further from your own village, and that may well be true, but my immediate concern is how to avoid the level 3 fighters between me and my Marble, because they can still kick my butt.

DeletedUser205

I'm interested to hear, if that plan works @Katwijk

My experience in trying to walk along favorite sectors in my worldmap: it worked only over at most 2-3 steps.
After that to much to expensive sectors were inbetween.
And that way over two steps I could simple find by mouseover the next parts of the map.

The reason for the "2-step-barrier" is: you need sort of 2 sectors to get to the next 1 wanted and there are always unwished sectors than as barrier.

DeletedUser

The relics do indeed tessellate on the world map however the grid is not 9x9 it is 3x9. You can see this better if you keep the grid in a hex pattern like I have shown below. This minor detain does not negate your conclusions though. Furthermore there are nine types of city as is shown to the right. You can also see that each good is equally represented in each of these city types.

ElvenarTemp_9.jpg

DeletedUser867

If we allow offsets rather than requiring complete chunks, which certainly qualifies as a tessellation,
then the basic horizontal pattern for EACH relic row is 9x1, although the cities cause the pattern to skip one offset.
963852741 and if we break that down a bit we have 963 852 741.
963 = 3rd of 3rd triple, 3rd of 2nd triple, 3rd of 1st triple
852 = 2nd of 3rd triple, 2nd of 2nd triple, 2nd of 1st triple
741 = 1st of 3rd triple, 1st of 2nd triple, 1st of 1st triple

9Bar.jpg

However we slice it, the essential notion is that it's a VERY regular pattern that treats all relics equally.

DeletedUser205

what we not can see is, how the boosts are given, can we?
are they regularly static in the same way you found?
and how come, that this mixture nowhere helps to a good trader with every good to trade -
or is it so, that only in the forum are the complains of players about that,
what feels like the majority but is the minority of players because in the forum are only roughly said 10% of players registered and from these 10% only a handful active writers?
perhaps most of the players found happy trading with a mixture of all goods in their trader??

DeletedUser

what we not can see is, how the boosts are given, can we?

Yes we can see, every player gets the boosts for his N, SW and SE neighboring province. The trading problems are a matter of random inactivity in every neighborhood.

DeletedUser205

ahh you are clever methusu, I know :)
regarding to @Odvar's diagramm you mean, ok.

and how do you find out, which of the cities is exactly yours on this diagram?

DeletedUser252

I think by looking in what order your boosted products are arround your city.
I have a city type 6

DeletedUser205

hm that is a lot of work to do, to find that, isn't it?
in that time I could get necessary infos about goods of neighborhood by mouseover I think
especially because all those infos are IMHO for nothing, without knowing, if a neighbor is active now.
And that I can only find out by visiting him directly (and watch him some days sometimes, if its not clear)

Perhaps I didn't understand, for what this diagram to use till now,
other than to say: I find out the basics the devs created for worldmaps

DeletedUser252

It's explains now why i have no steel in the neighborhood; both city 2 and 9 are abandoned :(

DeletedUser

@sorella

You can tell what city type you are by just looking at the six hexes directly next to your city. In fact you can determine this by only comparing the three relic boosts you have which are the goods in the N, SW & SE hex as stated by @methusu . I am type 1 as you can see by the below graphic.

ElvenarTemp1_2.jpg

DeletedUser205

@Odvar thank you for explaning that (I very much love the discretely blaked names of your neighbors :)).
I understood that point, how to find which number I could be. Am I right: that's all?
Or do you use that diagram for other informations you need in the game?
The pattern is absolutly statically, there will no surprises been found, I think.

To go with @myselfandi: we can use it to explain ourselves, why all mates in the trader have the same goods (as it is in my trader, although I've got a lot of neighbors and I'm near the end of the game - it didn't change till today).
Yes, because the towns with the other goods are orphans. (but that is no surprise, isn't it?)

@methusu found(or explained), that the boosted goods are not random, but stick to the (I call it) Number of town.
So there is no other random distribution in the game but the place were somebody starts, right?
And than two things are luck furthermore:
a) if a neighbor stays active
b) if a neighbor decides to trade or not (a lot of my active near neighbors don't)

Sometimes I think, their must be a hidden market in my trader - players who offer their goods when I'm not on and players who only take goods but don't place offers. But I'm looking into the trader very often and think that is more a conspiracy theory ;-) )

By the way:
I'm not shure, if I can only see the offers of players who discovered me (and can't see offers of players I discovered but they didn't discover me)?
The second option would explain, why in my trader nothing really changes although I discovered over 70 neighbors today.

DeletedUser252

@ sorella: No, you can see the offers of the ppl you have discovered (and the 2 rings beyond) . It's not important if this neightbor has discovered you.

I know that conspiracy theory; i'm a fan! :p

I wouldn't know anything else you can do with this , but that's to bad, since there was a lot of work involved

DeletedUser205

@myselfandi, I'm very shure, that I can see offers of players which discovered me,
because 1 workes hard for 2 weeks to get to a player and discover him to get his trades 1:1 (he is the only one who trades plancs and silk in my trader).
So: I saw him in the trader, but hadn't discover him.

DeletedUser252

That's correct, you are able to see them in the trader when they are 2 "hyves" from your discovered area