• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Release Notes version 1.120

Jackluyt

I would like to thank the designers for fixing the navigation keys!
The last few weeks without the left and right arrows have made visiting a pain.
Happy Holidays!

karld

So... if 10 of us each pitch in 10 bucks they could get Dave to do it on his lunch break?
The 9x31 factories that can be teleported was 279 entries,
The 39 levels of workshops and residences plus their 17x2 magic versions are another 112
Plus armories, regular culture, and every single event building (that isn't a set or evo)
adds up to what? 1,000?

So the question is after the whole framework and code had been designed, how long does it take to enter a new building?
When they invented the Goblin Gift Shop, Candy Cane Factory, or the other 3 new buildings they made 85 entries to include those, right?

Maybe 2 lunch breaks to add the evos?
So one might think that a building would be described in the system as a building type (residence, workshop, lava codex, etc.), level, whether it's human or elf, evolution level, etc. Then when I upgrade a building I simply increase the level and the system updates the specs based on that. However, what it sounds like is that every version of every building is a totally different building. So if you want to avoid offering to craft a second Fire Phoenix in the Magic Academy you have to check if any one of the 170 (17 chapters, 10 evolution levels) versions of the Fire Phoenix are placed or in inventory rather than just checking if there is any type of Fire Phoenix. This may not have seemed so crazy in the early days of elvenar. The system only needed to know the current version of a building and a pointer to the next upgrade version of the building. Maybe the system becomes too unwieldy to check for 170 versions of each evolving building rather than 17. Maybe there are similar difficulties with AWs and other buildings. I imagine there is little interest in redesigning the system to use better data structures for describing buildings. However, it occurs to me that the system would already have to check for all 170 versions of Fire Phoenixes among the placed buildings in the city, so why not do the same for the inventory buildings.

I keep hearing how data structures are preventing us from getting different features. Even displaying how many blueprints we have is prevented because of data structures. I keep trying to think of how or why these issues arise to avoid getting so frustrated when something that seems like it should be pretty easy turns out to be exceptionally difficult.