• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Release Notes version 1.120

Deleted User - 81190

They told it would require a lot of versions of the same building.
That's a laughable excuse. By "versions" this means an extra integer, per building. It's not like we don't have multiple versions of many, many buildings as it is.

Pauly7

Over the months or years they've given us a few slightly unsatisfying reasons why evolving buildings, or indeed Ancient Wonders, can't be teleported. Personally I don't think any of them really hold water. Each one is just something that could (possibly) create someone a few more minutes (hours?) of programming. My guess is that they just don't want us to teleport them. They've implemented the teleport spell, but for some reason have made a conscious decision to limit its use to certain kinds of buildings.

We've outlined some really useful benefits that being able to teleport evolving buildings and AWs would give us. Perhaps they want to prevent us from having those benefits.

Verde

"Loading screen texts should stay within their allocated space."

Wasn't this supposed to be fixed ... still happening that the 'useful hint' text is not fitting in its little window.

edeba

They told it would require a lot of versions of the same building.
I proposed teleporting at levels 1,5 and 10 but no interest.
That would be a good compromise to get the ability to transport AWs, only at levels multiples of 5, and if you want to store your level 17, you lose 2 levels instead of 17 if you change your mind and decide to have it out again.

Karvest

There is no problem in storing AWs at any level apart from loosing current level progress(KP or shards) and the "singleton" nature of AWs - need additional check to prevent placing new AW while having one teleported (from the other side this is not really a problem as you anyway can't place second copy of AW from inventory if you have one in the city, checked by fellow on live server who accidentally removed one of AWs after FA, wrote support request to get it back, but placed another copy and leveled it a bit before support added old one to inventory).
So the only thing that really stops Inno from making AWs teleportable - their tourney/spire formula.
Evolving buildings are a bit more complex, as they have not only level, but also a stage => the only way to teleport them using current data structures is to dissect into stage1 base + artifacts.

Deleted User - 81190

the only way to teleport them using current data structures
But they don't have to use the current data structures. They have full control over their code base, and we're not talking rocket surgery here. And even then, as you pointed out, decomposition into base + artifacts would work. There are some unintended consequences to that approach though (e.g. free conversions between different phoenix/bear types that you cannot do today).

iDavis

There are some unintended consequences to that approach though
With a full control over their code base that shouldn´t be a problem, they can add some sort of boolean attribute to artifact determining whether it was used or not, or a refference to the building (type) that it was used to for the first time..

From a player´s aspect I see a huge reason to dive into any kind of solution, because I literally feel how much does it make my approach to evo buildings worse, when I realise that I would keep it in my inventory forever, rather then placing it into my city and selling after some time. Hence I only build those evo buildings, where I´m for 100% sure, that it is the building that I want to keep in my city for ages (what so far was only the case of brown bears and fire phoenix).

Deleted User - 81190

With a full control over their code base that shouldn´t be a problem, they can add some sort of boolean attribute to artifact determining whether it was used or not, or a refference to the building (type) that it was used to for the first time.
Once you start adding some (any) attributes, you might just as well add evolution level straight up and don't deal with decomposition at all. The only benefit of decomposition is that it does not even need any new data to be stored.

Arthus

When previously we asked them, they told it would be required to create 160 (now 170) versions of the same building.
10 for each level and each chapter.

So the thing is not "it's not possible". The thing was "it's too long to do it, we don't want to do it"
As i said i proposed compromise to teleport them at stages 1/5/10. 30 versions of the building this way instead of 170.
No reply.

They are basically allowing to teleport even chapter buildings, set buildings, but not evolving buildings.
They expect us to delete whole event of work and sometimes money invested.

SoggyShorts

We would like that, but right now it's technically still too complicated to implement such a possibility.
When previously we asked them, they told it would be required to create 160 (now 170) versions of the same building.
10 for each level and each chapter.
So... if 10 of us each pitch in 10 bucks they could get Dave to do it on his lunch break?
The 9x31 factories that can be teleported was 279 entries,
The 39 levels of workshops and residences plus their 17x2 magic versions are another 112
Plus armories, regular culture, and every single event building (that isn't a set or evo)
adds up to what? 1,000?

So the question is after the whole framework and code had been designed, how long does it take to enter a new building?
When they invented the Goblin Gift Shop, Candy Cane Factory, or the other 3 new buildings they made 85 entries to include those, right?

Maybe 2 lunch breaks to add the evos?

Karvest

adds up to what? 1,000?
9016 right now. But that's not an excuse to produce more duplicates, better implement it properly (even if you make those duplicates - you'd need to create transformation between them and level+stage version of the building that is actually used ingame, so why bother doing shit if it would take same time to implement proper thing) or just decompose into base+artifacts.

SoggyShorts

9016 right now.
Wow, there are that many little buildings that I completely ignore, eh?
You're right of course, they should change the framework to do things properly, but I'm just always of the opinion that changing the diaper ASAP is better than trying to do a perfect job of it sometime in the future.

Karvest

It is impossible to move evolving building into inventory without loosing its evolution stage. AWs are different story.

Arthus

Yea cause evolving buildings only have lvl 1 programmed to be in the inventory for each chapter (17 lvl 1 buildings overall)
They would need another 17 lvl 2 owls, 17 lvl 3 owls, 17 lvl 4 owls etc....
And such with every building

So make it on lvls like 5 or 10 only but no... Why? Because NO. IG logic.

Karvest

Because coding conversion from lvl17 stage5 owl into "lvl17stage5" one during teleport and back while placing it requires ~ same effort as coding ability to store any stage.

Deleted User - 88256

It is impossible to move evolving building into inventory without loosing its evolution stage. AWs are different story.
Indeed, but they used the "technically impossible" argument for AWs too.

Marindor

Guys, we're getting too far off topic here. Please stick to the core of the thread here, which is the feedback about game version 1.120 and feel free to start a new thread if you want to discuss about the technical limitations of storing evolving buildings and AW's. Thank you.