• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Release Notes version 0.30

DeletedUser31

The decent manner is hard to be determined, as it can vary. Instead I can tell you what is not decent. There were players who didn't do anything other than constantly declining repeatable quests just to get the one that was appealing to them, completed it in a few minutes, then started all over again. And again. And again. For multiple hours a day, doing nothing else in the game. This is clearly not how a game is meant to be played. There are other aspects and features. Yes, repeatable quests are repeatable for a reason, feel free to do them multiple times. Just please don't abuse them. Play other features of the game, they are there for a reason. ;)

DeletedUser

I'm glad the quest that provides unlimited supplies and coins (by trading and trading back with friend / fellow) is going to be removed ('gain xxx goods'). It was way too easy. Still, the quest system needs a lot of work. Right now they are not really interesting or challenging and I can't really speak for the rewards either. I know the quests are supposed to be extra and you shouldn't rely on them, but with interesting quests and rewards you can keep the players happy and busy :)

My recommendations:

- Quests with random rewards with a small chance for a shard.
- Quests that complement giving neighbourly help.
- Quests that complement city building.
- Quests that complement military activity.
- Quests that complement goods production (not collection).
- Quests with random rewards with a small chance for diamonds (once the game reaches version 1.0).

DeletedUser31

Thank you for your feedback @Boko, it is much appreciated. We will pass those along to our development team.

DeletedUser199

QUOTE="Hoshi, post: 28952, member: 31"]The decent manner is hard to be determined, as it can vary. Instead I can tell you what is not decent. There were players who didn't do anything other than constantly declining repeatable quests just to get the one that was appealing to them, completed it in a few minutes, then started all over again. And again. And again. For multiple hours a day, doing nothing else in the game. This is clearly not how a game is meant to be played. There are other aspects and features. Yes, repeatable quests are repeatable for a reason, feel free to do them multiple times. Just please don't abuse them. Play other features of the game, they are there for a reason. ;)[/QUOTE]

First of all, how do you know that there are players who are doing just one quest during multiple hours a day? How did you identify those players? Did you get in contact with these players and tell them that their use of just one quest was not meant to be? Why do you allow repeatable quests, when their repetition can be indecent?

Is it not meant to be to do hours and hours of 5-minute -suplies-production? Is it not meant to be to give hours of neighbourly help?Please tell us!

Did you ever ask, why some players might do repetitive quests?

Could it be that there are players who actually want to play the game when they are in the game and not only be sitting in front of the screen and watch the green grass grow?
Could it be that there is no other thing to do.
Could it be that players do that because the game is terribly unbalanced?

Please tell me how many times players can do a quest per day and when does the abuse of a quest start.
Why don't you limit the use of quests per day, when you think it is an abuse?

Please Hoshi tell me what exactly can I do in the game.

These are the features und the minutes I can spend doing them:

Building/Upgrading: 2-3 times a day 1 minute = 3 minutes
Collecting production/coins: 4 times a day 2 minutes = 4 minutes
Scouting new provinces: every second day 2 minutes = 1 minute
Fighting 8 battles - sorry wrong: negotiatiating 8 battles every second day = 4 minutes
Planing/Rearrange my city : 10 minutes a day
Doing one storyline quest (only 8 quests left): 1 minutes
Trading 10 times a day: 10 minutes
Donating KP to Ancient Wonders of other players 3 times a day = 3 minutes
Doing neighbourly help: 60 minutes a day

So that's 96 minutes per day.

Please tell me which other features can I play after these 96 minutes.

Or is this game made only for players who don't want to play more than 96 minutes a day?

DeletedUser317

With this pacth the memory leek is back :/. The game for me started using about 450 mg of ram memory after 20 minutes playing, go up to 900 mb of memory usage after 2 hours reach 3.4 gb of memory usage, in this point the game reach the maximun of my ram memory, then a pop up message come says something like "error, putting setting to low", then the game auto refrech and started with low grafic setting.
Refresh the game do not clear memory usage, either close the game, only solve is close browser.

I using MS Edge, not tested in any other browser yet.

DeletedUser1388

The decent manner is hard to be determined, as it can vary.
If this vary by who is judging it and is hard to be determined, then I suggest not to talk anymore about decency.

There were players who didn't do anything other than constantly declining repeatable quests just to get the one that was appealing to them, completed it in a few minutes, then started all over again. And again. And again. For multiple hours a day, doing nothing else in the game.
Why is a problem, if there are players doing this way? Why shall everybody do everything in the same way?

This is clearly not how a game is meant to be played.
If there is a clear way how the game is meant to be played, why is this nowhere described?

Yes, repeatable quests are repeatable for a reason, feel free to do them multiple times. Just please don't abuse them
If there are possibilities to abuse the repeatable quests, why is nowhere a clear description what means abusing them? Telling general, obscure sentences like "constantly declining repeatable quests" leads us nowhere, because I cannot imagine that there are player doing this CONSTANTLY. Or, maybe there is a misunderstanding what this word mean.

As a conclusion, we are talking about decency, about the ways to play the game, about abusing, but there is not a single word about these things nor in Rules, nor in wiki. How could I play decent, when probably I understand something else in decency, then you/Inno? How shall I know the "way that game is meant to be played" if everybody understand this in his own way? And finally how can I abuse anything in the game, what is allowed to do?

DeletedUser651

Some players mentioned that now they have to start 3 hours long productions at night. This is also a question of decision. Decide: Is it worth for me to start 3-hours long production before going to bed, so my Workshops will stay still for a while, but at least I can finish a quest? OR Should I just keep the quest and get back to it in the morning, I will do 9-hour productions at night. Everyone can decide what is worth for them.

I can set two workshops for a 9 hour production and collect (3670 x 2) 7340 supplies. If I do this, when I collect my coins in the morning I lose out on the 13,000 supplies bonus. OR I set those two workshops for 3 hour productions collecting (2120 x 2) 4240 supplies PLUS the 13,000 bonus. 4240 + 13,000 = 17,240. Since 17,240 is greater than 7340, I will choose the option that gives me 9900 more supplies. I have 9 sets of 200,000 coins to collect. 9 times 9900 equals 89,100 supplies. So I choose the option that gives me 89,100 more supplies. Is this going to be indecent? Am I supposed to choose the less efficient option? Am I abusing things if I can do math?

Instead I can tell you what is not decent. There were players who didn't do anything other than constantly declining repeatable quests just to get the one that was appealing to them, completed it in a few minutes,

So, I AM being indecent because I can do math. I am indecent because I was presented with two options and I chose the one more beneficial to my game.

Then your game is designed indecently, isn't it?

PS. I second every word Madzix said. Kudos.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser283

honestly, I think the team should avoid using such phrases as "decent" or "right way to play the game"; "abusing the system" goes in there too;
as already exposed by many other players, these words make no sense at all, they are mostly subjective, and the result sounds weak;
that is certainly not what the team wishes to express :)

imho, everything looks like the devs are not satisfied with the way we players use the game, so they try to channel us differently, but at the same time they do not really know what they are doing, so the support they bring to the beta team is inconsistent, thus resulting in the beta team using weak speech.
this is highly awkward ...:confused:

imho again, it would be good if devs could get beyond their usual "awesome new stuff is coming soon" stance, and start reflecting on the meaning of the game, which for the moment is beautiful graphics on top of poor design and an obvious lack of vision o_O

it would be good if the devs could come up with some consistent guidance for us and for the team, that would avoid arguments like what we have here, when an update causes anger and the team answers are not at level;

finally, most inno games have an explicit rule that states that it is prohibited to exploit a bug, which is somewhat reasonable :)
in Elvenar, people who grind quests are not exploiting a bug, they are using poor design to their advantage;
they are using the game as it has been designed !
if devs are not satisfied with this, maybe it is time for them to reconsider their very own work :cool:

DeletedUser651

In case anyone is confused. I absolutely hate grinding quests. It is boring and I hate it. It is the worst part of the game. I'd much prefer to play without needing all those supplies and coins for negotiating every sector. But the fighting part of this game is broken and worthless, so that option is out. Our neighborhoods are mostly empty so that part of the game is broken. We don't get the supplies or coins we would if our neighborhoods were fixed. So by the time you have a big city, instead of having lots of supporting neighbors, all you have is more needs and fewer ways to meet them. And now, with this new update, the game keeps crashing when you do neighborly help on the few cities that haven't been deleted yet. This update is a huge step backward in functionality.

We tell you every day that things are broken, yet all you do is mess with the few things that are still functional and attack players for figuring out ways around your errors. If you all hate quest grinding so much, then do something about it or stop complaining about it.

DeletedUser283

about the fighting part : I understand that provinces must get harder and harder, but at the same time there must be game content provided so that players can overcome these difficulties (squad size upgrades, faster barracks, bigger armories, better units);
I am not yet hitting the brick wall, having still 1 squad size upgrade to unlock before the end of the tech tree, and I am currently at rings 9 and 10, but I know that for various reasons some players have been moving forward much faster than this and they are now facing a tough choice : negotiating or stalling ...
this is a city builder, so space to build is compulsory; as the only way to get more space once the tech tree is at its end is to conquer more provinces (or use diamonds, but that is another debate), players need to conquer more provinces, that get harder and harder while their armed forces do not evolve...
something is wrong there ...

DeletedUser

Let me restate my comment which you deleted. I have no idea why it was considered insulting.

During ingame chat last week, several top players were comparing strategies regarding Fertility Goddesses vs. residences. We realized that residences were the superior strategy, once all factors were balanced, so long as the Gain 200K coin quest remained in effect for us to gain supplies (thus minimizing the need for workshops).

We wanted to begin deleting our Fertility Goddesses and replacing them with residences. We worried, however, that Inno wouldn't favor this, since the top three Arendyll players would have few premium buildings for others players to see. We concluded that, once we started deleting premium buildings, Inno would likely either offer us upgrades to the Goddesses, or they would delete / modify the Gain 200 Coins quest (thus forcing us to build workshops and keep the Goddesses)

I started deleting last week - 20 so far. Now this week they did indeed modify the quest here in Beta. I'm not paranoid...although I should reconsider my belief in psychic phenomena. It was coincidence, I'm sure. My timing is just awful...

Most pertinent for the general pool of game knowledge is that this proposed change would mean that diamonds players will have the permanent advantage. This will be opposite of the current situation, because as of now, in Arendyll, the #1 player has a superlative strategy - using primarily free residences - which provided superior scoring over those of us purchasing large numbers of Goddesses. Because he could collect so many taxes, he could - with lots of effort - gain supplies and function without workshops.

Now, with this proposed change, since all players will require the same number of workshops (potential for strategy nullified), the advantage will go to Fertility Goddesses, because they 1) provide more culture 2) more population 3) require no roads.

You know, if they'd just offered us upgrades for the Goddesses, we would have started paying. We could have been brand ambassadors, in a sense, enticing others players to keep spending towards our shiny new buildings. Instead they chopped off all our heads. In my opinion, of course, and with all due deference to the developers...

DeletedUser778

about the fighting part : I understand that provinces must get harder and harder, but at the same time there must be game content provided so that players can overcome these difficulties (squad size upgrades, faster barracks, bigger armories, better units);
I am not yet hitting the brick wall, having still 1 squad size upgrade to unlock before the end of the tech tree, and I am currently at rings 9 and 10, but I know that for various reasons some players have been moving forward much faster than this and they are now facing a tough choice : negotiating or stalling ...
For me I think it's one almost perfectly balanced part of the game.
I started to go to my boosted provinces in the outer rings first a couple of month ago and also started to take lot's of data from it later and yes the provincs get very very hard, so you have to negotiate 50-90% most of the time in the outer rings, but with all my data collecting I saw that in general I lost so much troops in a province as I can train in the time it takes to scout this province and goods to negotiate I produce a little more in the time it takes to scout.
So I think it's very well balanced, because the scouting time increase is just right to produce enough troops/goods to be prepared for the province.

DeletedUser283

thanks for the info; @LordB :)
I personally think that being forced into negotiating is demeaning at best :D

[edit]
if developers are so eager to improve the balance of the game, I invite them to spend some time on this interesting problem :
it is very hard to find steel and elixir
other resources are mostly ok
why do so many players with steel or elixir bonuses (or both !) leave this game ?
there are plenty of examples around the map
[/edit]

DeletedUser

I'm going to jump back a bit to Hardware Acceleration. I kept it on as requested and had no problems until the latest update. So now HA will remain resolutely off until the developers understand what they are doing to it with successive updates. What I cannot understand is why Inno's developers seem to go through this agony (for the players) with their games... why not borrow a developer from one of your games that finally got it right?

DeletedUser1388

What this game needs is a limitation of enemy troops.

I don't think so. The real problem with the fighting system is: you reach the situation past 230 provinces, that you conquered all discovered provinces, and now you have to wait 2,5-3 days until the next discovery.... A boring 2,5-3 day sit... then when finally you discover the province, you will conquer it in a few minutes, by fight or by negotiation, who cares, you already have a lot of troops and goods... and the boring sit starts for another 2,5-3 days, which interval is permanently increasing with each province.

DeletedUser118

Scouting is a different problem. I wouldn't compare it to fights as its a topic of its own. The thing is, if can only win provinces through negotiating, the more goods you need and the less interesting troops and everything related to them get. I don't think that's the purpose of the game.

DeletedUser31

With this pacth the memory leek is back :/. The game for me started using about 450 mg of ram memory after 20 minutes playing, go up to 900 mb of memory usage after 2 hours reach 3.4 gb of memory usage, in this point the game reach the maximun of my ram memory, then a pop up message come says something like "error, putting setting to low", then the game auto refrech and started with low grafic setting.
Refresh the game do not clear memory usage, either close the game, only solve is close browser.

I using MS Edge, not tested in any other browser yet.
Thank you for reporting this. We're optimizing our game and to do this, we need as much information as possible. Please contact us via a support ticket and tell us your hardware specifications and what exactly is problematic in the game, so we can investigate and forward it to our development team.

If this vary by who is judging it and is hard to be determined, then I suggest not to talk anymore about decency. [...] If there is a clear way how the game is meant to be played, why is this nowhere described?
I admit, my choosing of word 'decent' might not have been the best, or I didn't explain what I meant by that enough. By 'decent' I only meant that there are different ways players can progress while still participating in most aspects of the game. Having hardly definable decent ways and clearly indecent ways are two different things. Let me put it this way. When I buy a ball at a toy store, I can play football (soccer), handball, basketball, volleyball and a lot of other games with it and it will most likely work in all of them. If I work a bit with it I can probably use it to replace my bicycle's front wheel. With some luck it will even work, but it is not a decent solution, it's not worth it in the long run. So not having a clear way to play a game and having a way that is clearly how not to play a game is different.

if devs are not satisfied with this, maybe it is time for them to reconsider their very own work :cool:
This is also why we apply balancing changes to the game. To provide a better game. As we said many times, it takes time. Please be aware of that.

Let me restate my comment which you deleted. I have no idea why it was considered insulting.
We will go through all deleted comments and revert the deletion where needed. We will also contact all users whose messages got deleted, explaining why the deletion was applied.

I'm going to jump back a bit to Hardware Acceleration. I kept it on as requested and had no problems until the latest update.
Thank you for reporting this. As I asked @Eladamri above, please contact us via a support ticket with your hardware specifications and the description of the experienced issues and we'll forward it to our development team.