• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Game Features More races : Orcs, Dwarves or... Undead ?

DeletedUser

I was talking with my brother this evening about this closed beta. I told him i choosed human cause i hate Elves ( dont ask me why, its just like this )

He answered me :"that's too bad, only 2 races... You probably choose Dwarves if u could !"
I said : "Yeah ! Or Orcs ! Or... Undeads !"

I know this is a long and hard job to make, but maybe add a new race every 4-6 months ?
i know it's a hard sugg, but a really good one !

ThaMartin

The idea sounds very nice to me, but according to the Game Title I don't think it'll make it... Furthermore, by introducing new races afterwards, you'll always come across people who are already playing and would like to switch races so that could be a problem.

DeletedUser

The idea is good. Maybe get two worlds? In the first world people who are already playing, the bugs and such fished out. (The current beta) And then the second is opened when all is ready?
I have the same problem, choosing the humans because the elves of elvanar aren't interesting.

DeletedUser58

I think this would be too much work to be considered, it implies making completely new designs (buildings, units, avatars, cities on the world map, etc.) which is months and months of work, which is time they could spend on improving existing content or adding new playable content for existing races. Plus, as TheMartin said above, by the time these are added you have the issue of players already playing a specific race so it would feel like a slap in the face (thank you for your efforts with the current race, here are some new fancy designs which you can use if you start the game over).

DeletedUser31

I like the idea of new playable races but it would make the game much bigger in size (more data nedded to be downloaded, not the best for users with slow connection).

But maybe some specific buildings will be available during events when the game will be out of beta.
(Something spooky undead themed cultural building at Halloween or little gnomish things at Christmas...)

DeletedUser

Fine, but they could use Elvanar as the base for a new Innogames game. AS soon as a game has been distributed properly they design a new game. Maybe Origins? Or maybe heritage of Elvanar? *Shakes his head* Anyway, they already have the mechanics, the bugs that are found in Elvanar won't be found. Instead of starting from scratch as is apparently the case.

DeletedUser580

Like mentioned in a different thread. :)

------------------------------
Alright. Before discuss deeper Race Systems, I would like to have actually MORE races than 2!

Races:
----------

Here are some races:

Humans (Knights, Soldiers, Sorceres)
Elves (Ents, Archers, Druids)
------------------
Undead (Skeletons, Vampires, Lich)
Orcs (Worgs, War Drummers, Chieftain)
Trolls (Ram, Mountain Troll, Berserk)
Dwarfs (Defender, Canoneers, War Pig)
Elementals (Fire Elemental (Melee), Earth Elemental (Melee), Air Elemental (Range))
Ghost (Wraith, Ritualist, Banshee)
Shadow (Nightmare, Assassin, Dark Priest)
Beasts (Wyvern, Bears, Hydras)

and so on. Its easy to find lots of races. What should be different between these races?

Race functionality:
---------------------
Option 1: You can actually choose, which building from which race you want to build.

Advantage: Every City will look different // Customizing your own race
Disadvantage: We need more to choose from (different races). 3 and more is a good number // Races need bigger differences

The idea is to research housing and than choose which house from which race you want to build and so on. For every building along the races!

Option 2: You can simply choose a race at the beginning. Every race has its own play style. See next point what could be different

Advantage: Player can choose his favorit race and the game can build up a special race system // Cities look different
Disadvantage: Race can be unbalanced. Like: More players choose same race ... one race is slightly more powerful in the player view and so on

Race specifics:
------------------------

- Building size
Race A has bigger buildings than race B but these buildings are more effective. Race C has buildings which are not 3x3 or 5x5 but more like 4x4 but with some space on one side. You have actually to play tetris in a more deeper way.

Having bigger buildings is harder to use effective every space and having even not exactly quadratic buildings is even harder. In this case, race B buildings bring maybe +10% ressources but you maybe cannot use all the space. Player C maybe up to 20% more effective buildings but these buildings are even harder to place. Race A could have lots of small buildings which is easy to build but you will need more streets and probably more builder.

Something like this :)

- Race speciality:
-----------------------

(Race D is always balanced in comparison)

++ Army Strength: Race A has stronger melee units, Race B has stronger Range units and Race C stronger Hybrids
++ Army Stats: Race A has in general stronger military units, Race B can actually create faster military units and Race C´s Units have more HP
++ Economy Stats: Race A need more Coins and less supplies, Race B need more Supplies and less coins and Race C need more Goods
(In this case ... coins and supplies should be tradeable too or race C might have a huge advantage or even disadvantage)
++ Special Powers!: Race A can help a friend 2x // Race B can even help/motivate a Building for goods // Race C can motivate buildings under construction to decrease building time for that building ...by 30% or something like this

There could be much more, but for that we need more ingame things.

DeletedUser580

Sorry for the doppel post but the previous is older. Here is something new:

It would be super awesome to have an overall race target like:

All races have to spend ressources, the race who spend the most ressources in the pool will win. All players in that race will get something. Its like a content every week.
The amount need to be spend is based on the amount of players a race has. Therefore the number in each race/alliance does not matter.

See a picture below. :D

DeletedUser157

It's not like i don't like this idea but how would you add this into BETA? If it's anything like Forge Of Empires BETA then we will only have one world here and making a second account on the BETA world would be against the rules so you could not test the new race out here unless your a new player.

DeletedUser

Dwarves. 100x Dwarves. Having played this genre of game for a long time, i can tell you easily that ELVES are the most over-done race in this, and ALL Fantasy genres. Which is funny seeing as they're weak and pathetic and cowardly. why people keep putting pacifist sissy races in war games is beyond me (no, wait, its eye candy). Dwarves on the other hand? We like war. We like to fight, we enjoy it. We're good at it. We're already more qualified than the Elves to be here.
Heres a challenge, go find another game of this genre (mmo browser/strategy/empire simulator/war) that has Dwarves. Go look. I'll wait. You'll find tons of orcs, undead, elves, humans, elves, elves, MORE ELVES OF A DIFFERENT COLOR BECAUSE CREATIVITY IS DEAD! Its almost as if elves FEED off of creativity, draining it from the world to increase their numbers. What sort of units do they have? NATURE units? Probably stuff i've seen in half a dozen games already and thats IF they're more unique than average.

Now, lets get to the brass. Games have roles, and Dwarves excel at their own. Defense, the strongest walls, the biggest guns, dwarves always dominate in the defensive game. While slow on the field, their units defense is always the best. On the other hand at the same time, they excel at Siege, with the most advanced siege weapons, we have CANNONS, what the hell do elves have? treants? THEY'RE JUST STICKS! Lazy ass elves, always relying on nature to coddle them. Dwarves make their own way, nobody works harder than the DWARVES. Got way more versatility than Elves too, who are too stuck in their nature-theme to dare being original. Besides all the steampunk options afforded by our Engineering, we've got Runic magic, powerful priests, dual wielding berzerkers to the heaviest armored tanks, constructs shaped in earth or even Fire, since Dwarves long ago tamed Fire in the forges we work.
Dwarfs-at-War.jpg

Now git out of our way!

Edit by Lauwi: Removed inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser58

Someone could use a snickers. :p There's no need to turn this into any other game - I agree that diversity is better, but even the way humans or elves or any other races or subraces work doesn't have to be anywhere close to how they are portrayed anywhere else. In fact, I'd prefer if they're as different as possible, it would make the game more unique.

DeletedUser

Unique? YOU'RE AN ELF, you are the anti-unique, you put the uni in unique, in that you have ONE done-to-death path. Not having Elves makes a fantasy setting more unique by default, and BETTER. Dwarves are 1 in a 100 in this type of game, i've been playing this genre for more than a decade and you are welcome to look around, find one that isnt the terrible Hobbit game then tell me about unique. The elves, besides their skin color, are already portrayed the only way they are ever portrayed. And how would YOU portray dwarves? the wrong way? They are what they are for a reason, changing them into something they aint for the sake of it would be a bad choice, not to mention somewhat rude to fans of the given race who like them BECAUSE of their consistent tropes.

Although if you'd motion to make the elves ugly and wretched club swingers, i'd back you on that.

DeletedUser58

"Fans of dwarves" --- but fan of dwarves portrayed by WHOM or WHERE? Mainstream media? They're all the same there, yes. But in general they vary from one source to another. Not all fantasy authors portray them the same. Some portray elves as tall beautiful creatures, others portray them as short and ugly almost goblin-like creatures. Other portray dwarves as weak almost-extinct race because they're not all that great on ranged attacks and they're not mobile at all. There's no one single script for fantasy creatures, they're portrayed in whatever way the author imagines them.

And I didn't say there's anything unique with how things are portrayed now, I said what you're proposing makes it even less so. I'd rather see more subraces of elves (new ones that have not been seen before), than seeing the same old dwarves in addition to the existing elves.

DeletedUser

Books aint games, its one thing to write it and another to create it, and games rely on "roles". Its fine to portray elves as short, 'elfin' actually means 'short', the fact that they're tall just shows how overrated they've become. I've played just about every game thats ever had Dwarves, sort of a project in my quest for all things Dwarfin. They vary but remain consistent in many aspects, and that aint a bad thing. But portraying Dwarves as weak? HA. The "Dying race" trope is played out, i blame tolkein that racist sob, but its never without reason. Warhammer Dwarves beg to differ, Dwarves excel at ranged attacks because guns are kind of way better than bows, and cannons better than catapults, and all dwarves can throw an axe or hammer. Hell, in some games i've seen dwarves locked to ranged classes only.
Again, it comes down to roles. Different races are pointless if they're all the same, so different races need to satisfy different playstles, and Dwarves always have the unique style of high defense but great offensive siege, but very slow. Orcs are usually highly offensive but fast.
I'd argue Dwarves are more mobile than Elves, mobility aint what you think it is. Soft skinned forest dwellers with their unicorns and treants, how do you think they'd fair marching over the icy hills and barren deserts? Dead, they'd fair dead. Dwarves are all-terrain, that IS mobility.
Dont you dare suggest that, MORE elves? MORE subraces? There isnt a subrace that hasnt been done, Elf-Elf has probably been done. Verb/Noun + Elf is in itself a played out trope. The last thing the world needs is more elves. Like i said, Dwarves are an extremely rare race in this genre, and have a MUCH wider access to units since they arnt locked to such a narrow lore and are objectively a very unique race. Adding sub-races of elves for originality is like dropping your icecream on the floor for flavoring

DeletedUser58

Maybe I should have used agile, that's a better suited word for what I meant. But that's what elves are and what dwarves aren't. Also, the silliest thing ever portrayed anywhere are dwarves with guns and cannons while all other races in the same world are down to arrows and swords. That's a joke and a poorly thought out world.

I think I've said my fair share of thoughts on the topic, so I'll stop there as this is leaning toward off-topic. :)

DeletedUser503

"Never trust an elf" was said by a highly respected Dwarf. We all know who.
And an elf ended up being his best friend. Why? Because he dropped his prejudice
and judged an elf by his actions towards others and himself , not by a 'race cliche'

DeletedUser

[
Dwarves. 100x Dwarves. Having played this genre of game for a long time, i can tell you easily that ELVES are the most over-done race in this, and ALL Fantasy genres. Which is funny seeing as they're weak and pathetic and cowardly. why people keep putting pacifist sissy races in war games is beyond me (no, wait, its eye candy). Dwarves on the other hand? We like war. We like to fight, we enjoy it. We're good at it. We're already more qualified than the Elves to be here.
Heres a challenge, go find another game of this genre (mmo browser/strategy/empire simulator/war) that has Dwarves. Go look. I'll wait. You'll find tons of orcs, undead, elves, humans, elves, elves, MORE ELVES OF A DIFFERENT COLOR BECAUSE CREATIVITY IS DEAD! Its almost as if elves FEED off of creativity, draining it from the world to increase their numbers. What sort of units do they have? NATURE units? Probably stuff i've seen in half a dozen games already and thats IF they're more unique than average.

Now, lets get to the brass. Games have roles, and Dwarves excel at their own. Defense, the strongest walls, the biggest guns, dwarves always dominate in the defensive game. While slow on the field, their units defense is always the best. On the other hand at the same time, they excel at Siege, with the most advanced siege weapons, we have CANNONS, what the hell do elves have? treants? THEY'RE JUST STICKS! Lazy ass elves, always relying on nature to coddle them. Dwarves make their own way, nobody works harder than the DWARVES. Got way more versatility than Elves too, who are too stuck in their nature-theme to dare being original. Besides all the steampunk options afforded by our Engineering, we've got Runic magic, powerful priests, dual wielding berzerkers to the heaviest armored tanks, constructs shaped in earth or even Fire, since Dwarves long ago tamed Fire in the forges we work.
Dwarfs-at-War.jpg

Now git out of our way!

Edit by Lauwi: Removed inappropriate language.
/QUOTE]
You are very agressive. I can tell you have a bit of an obsession with dwarves. Yes it would be nice to have an extra race, but after some thought I would like the subraces first. Further as much as I honor dwarves and elves I would choose for humans. I like the sun, I like my length and I don't want to be treehugger that doesn't like meat or a short combat-crazed mole.

Maybe I should have used agile, that's a better suited word for what I meant. But that's what elves are and what dwarves aren't. Also, the silliest thing ever portrayed anywhere are dwarves with guns and cannons while all other races in the same world are down to arrows and swords. That's a joke and a poorly thought out world.

I think I've said my fair share of thoughts on the topic, so I'll stop there as this is leaning toward off-topic. :)
And you phantom are crazy if you ask me. Dwarves are the most advanced race in all my stories.
Tynon dwarves have guns
The dwarves by Mark Heitz The dwarves already created steam engines while elves and men were in their diapers.
Skyrim altough the Dwemer are actually an elf type they are as vicious as dwarves and were immortal like long before humans even settled skyrim. I could think up of more stories in which DWARVES are the most ADVANCED RACE in the whole world.