• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Game Features More races : Orcs, Dwarves or... Undead ?

DeletedUser

Also, the silliest thing ever portrayed anywhere are dwarves with guns and cannons while all other races in the same world are down to arrows and swords. That's a joke and a poorly thought out world.
Why? Even in the real world, its not like every country has space shuttles and carriers and nukes. Dwarves would surely be the first to capitalize on these weapons as its the realm of alchemy, and they'd find the materials through their excavations, they plunder the earth for such resources. Orcs would love them if they were smart enough to make'm. Alternatively, when most races have access to magic, why would they need guns and cannons? Dwarves, often having no ability to use magic, substitute with engineering. Because they arnt "Given" anything, they earn it. Opposite the elves.

Irrelevant. He dropped his prejudice because it was supposed to be a feelgood story.

EDIT: As Drialik said, Dwarves are often advanced, and the reasons for this are many. But are also subject to "roles". When Gnomes are present, they're usually the most advanced tinkers (to silly degrees) Necessity is the mother of innovation.

DeletedUser

I wish that humans were in most stories less weakhearted. Only the northmen and the black are real warriors that match the dwarves. Dwarfurious are you by accident a child of Boïndil?

DeletedUser58

Thanks Drialik. *curtsies*

Why? Because it's ridiculous to portray anyone in the same world with something that apparently no one else can procure, yet they're things obtained with normal progress and manufacturing. It's not some special magic bestowed upon them, it's something they've discovered and worked on as should anyone else with even a lower intelligence and capabilities be able to do eventually. But to think that no one else in a whole realm wouldn't copy that or use it to their advantage, that makes zero sense.

But no, I'm stopping my responses because because the proposal is "maybe add a new race every 4-6 months" and it's not a discussion of what dwarves are or how they are to be portrayed. Also, look up prejudice.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser58

Yes, there are. What does that have to do with anything? Here's my initial reply to this:
There's no need to turn this into any other game - I agree that diversity is better, but even the way humans or elves or any other races or subraces work doesn't have to be anywhere close to how they are portrayed anywhere else. In fact, I'd prefer if they're as different as possible, it would make the game more unique.

Which then somehow turned into a discussion of me claiming the current stuff is unique or that I'm opposed to Dwarves being in the game. That's all gotten wrong or someone wants putting words in other folks mouths. I am okay with any race being added, though as previously mentioned this takes too much work for a browser game and it's not likely to happen. What I said is that we could use more new things that differentiate the existing human/elf from how they are portrayed elsewhere, instead of just adding a dwarf race that is a copy from other places. Because the description given for dwarves is also used mostly everywhere where dwarves exist. If they're going to add dwarves they do not have to make them the exact copy as there.

You also mention dwarves are the most advanced race in your story. That is fine. But it also proves the other point I raised:
"Fans of dwarves" --- but fan of dwarves portrayed by WHOM or WHERE? Mainstream media? They're all the same there, yes. But in general they vary from one source to another. Not all fantasy authors portray them the same. Some portray elves as tall beautiful creatures, others portray them as short and ugly almost goblin-like creatures. Other portray dwarves as weak almost-extinct race because they're not all that great on ranged attacks and they're not mobile at all. There's no one single script for fantasy creatures, they're portrayed in whatever way the author imagines them.
Just because they're portrayed as such somewhere, doesn't mean they should be that way here. They can be portrayed in any number of ways which doesn't have to be a copy of your or anyone else's work. It can be a new, fresh, and unique representation.

I didn't come here to play Warcraft or any other game. I came here to play Elvenar, and if Elvenar wants to do something like this (races or subraces) I'd prefer if that was done in a more original and unique fashion.

DeletedUser

Why I asked for mortars? I had forgotten that they existed.
And I agree that they should be given a fresh skin, maybe dwarves could be a subrace for humans? Wow while typing an idea is already forming.
In the cruel human world small people have to stick up for each other. The large humans ruled the skies and therefore the little humans ruled under the ground. They get the marble and cut the crystals and gems, their fighting style was more fierce than that of the large humans because they felt they had to make it up for being short. Eventually the children and the children of the children and the children of the children of the children found that there life length was longer than that of the large humans. The little people were less hotheaded and started to gather among themselves.
They devised large blowguns made out of rock. These blowguns had little darts that were more devastating than arrows but tended to have a shorter range. They crafted granite armor and weaponry that gave them an advantage over iron weapons.
Their buildings above ground were made to dwarf the buildings of the large humans and they were made out of stone plates that rose out of the the earth unlike the larger human buildings that were made of bricks.

This is just the beginning

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Another 'not quite implemented' idea, where our development team chose a different way to introduce other races. It may well be however that this thread was read and had some bearing on the races chosen so far at least :)