• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Let's talk about workshops

DeletedUser

The biggest problem I have with the workshops is the long recovery time for the upgrades. For example to upgrade the elven workshop from level 7 to level 8 costs 2600 supplies. Production at the 1 hour interval goes from 223 to 249 each hour. That is an increase of 26 supplies per hour so if you were to collect every hour 24 hours a day it will take 100 hours (4 days and 4 hours) to recover the cost of the upgrade. If you want to sleep then add a couple days to that. Oh you want to have a life too? Add a few more days.

DeletedUser136

Oh you want to have a life too? Add a few more days
Sad, but true :D

Since I cant double post I have to add here... I was actually doing ok with 8 workshops at 200% but as soon as my overall production was cut by 30% with the culture change, I have been trying to get caught back up... and you are right, the costs of upgrading the workshops are extremely high. The Wiki pages have all the costs written out. Those upgrades can be painful.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The biggest problem I have with the workshops is the long recovery time for the upgrades. For example to upgrade the elven workshop from level 7 to level 8 costs 2600 supplies. Production at the 1 hour interval goes from 223 to 249 each hour. That is an increase of 26 supplies per hour so if you were to collect every hour 24 hours a day it will take 100 hours (4 days and 4 hours) to recover the cost of the upgrade. If you want to sleep then add a couple days to that. Oh you want to have a life too? Add a few more days.

I am playing with 170% Culture bonus and I get 380/hr on level 7 ...428/hr on level 8 if it helps ...

DeletedUser136

It costs 2370 supplies and 23700 coins to run a 3 hr cycle of magic dust (at level 7)... I only get 2560 supplies from a level 15 supply building on a 3 hour cycle (at 160% because I refuse to build any more culture buildings after the adjustment)

Everything gets expensive as you get to higher levels, so you have to upgrade and just wait days to make up the costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I am trying to play with maintaining the maximum bonus ... I know its a losing battle in this game but still no harm in trying ... don't think will be able to do that for a long time though ...maybe another upgrade and i will start going down the ladder :(

DeletedUser136

This thread started with what is the point of workshops. I really don't know how you could play the game without them. Even the players who collect maximum supplies from the 'repeatable quests' can't afford not to have them at maximum later in the game.

DeletedUser118

Let them reach a level close to yours Tinker and they'll very soon see how important workshops can be. ;)

DeletedUser58

At least the exploit for those "collect X stuff" quests was fixed. But more relevant to this thread, right after the game update I got more story quests and my existing repeatable quests disappeared. Both of my quest givers were previously giving repeatable quests which gave me A LOT of supplies on a daily basis, each and every day I had to use the wholesaler to get rid of the excess supplies.

But now that my quests were turned to storyline quests and I had no repeatable ones to do, my supplies were being eaten up super quickly. Despite the fact that I run quite a big number of supply buildings in my city, due to upgrades and unit training my supplies were lowering in number. Yesterday I managed to reach 0 supplies and I haven't used supplies at the wholesaler since the update.

So we go back to what Nosferatu said in post #2, workshops are needed EXCEPT when you're running repeatable quests. Then they're easily replaceable with residential houses. The issue aren't the workshops but the repeatable quests.

DeletedUser

OK, I guess I'll see what you mean when I get there... Thanks for the heads up!

DeletedUser326

So we go back to what Nosferatu said in post #2, workshops are needed EXCEPT when you're running repeatable quests. Then they're easily replaceable with residential houses. The issue aren't the workshops but the repeatable quests.
I don't think that repeatable quests can match up with a supply building.

I'm human and human repeatable quests give you about 10-15k supplies a day. Despite the fact that you Need 5k of those supplies to get These other 10k its not near to enough to maintain a proper Settlement.
For me i produce more supplies than i can use. But thats only the matter because in my Hood its near to impossible to get Marble, crystals and silk which are needed to upgrade Tier 3 buildings.

But for that i Need 600 supplies every hour for new Units and something like 1500 every 3 hours for my goods production.
If i run 3 hours production of supplies only i make up about 4500 every cycle which is quite a 1200 Profit so i can afford 1-2 Upgrades a day.
In evening hours i produce the same in 1 hour.

But without Workshops i don't think the game is possible to Play after reaching Tier 3 goods. Before it should be no Problem because you can negotiate and Tier 1/2 goods don't cost a fortune in production.

DeletedUser

But can't you pause whatever project you are pursuing (like maybe troop training) and channel the generated supplies toward something else that you need at the moment?

I mean, all things in life are scarce. (Except stupidity of course... just kidding, no offense!) It takes most people half their lifetime to pay for their house or apartment -- and many others never own one. And you know, the more effort it takes you to achieve something, the worthier and dearer it is for you.

As such, I don't think everything in a game should be granted automatically. You should work for it. Challenges are necessary and good, whether they are based on fighting, economics, social interaction or anything else.

All IMHO of course.

DeletedUser58

I don't think that repeatable quests can match up with a supply building.

I'm human and human repeatable quests give you about 10-15k supplies a day.
Not quite true. You can skip through the quests so you can only do a particular quest and you can do that same quest multiple times. Examples at my stage of the game.

Repeatable quest #1: Gain 50K coin (collecting in city and helping neighbors works, I can do this one at least 15 times a day solely from helping neighbors if I don't feel lazy to skip through the rest of the quests) - reward is 10K supplies;
Repeatable quest #2: Gain 100 culture - reward is 15K coin and 8.5K supplies;
Repeatable quest #3: Gain 3000 goods (both collecting and trading count) - reward is 60K coin and 4K supplies;
Repeatable quest #4: Solve 4 encounters - reward is 60K coin and 4K supplies;
ETC.

I haven't counted the quests but beyond the ones above there are quests for spending KP, for unlocking a research, for gaining relics, for upgrading buildings, for gaining population, for training units, for upgrading main hall, etc. There's a repeatable quest for every action you could do in your city, you can solve all of those multiple times a day, they do not require supplies and they give quite a bit of supplies in their rewards.

DeletedUser326

Not quite true. You can skip through the quests so you can only do a particular quest and you can do that same quest multiple times. Examples at my stage of the game.

Repeatable quest #1: Gain 50K coin (collecting in city and helping neighbors works, I can do this one at least 15 times a day solely from helping neighbors if I don't feel lazy to skip through the rest of the quests) - reward is 10K supplies;
Repeatable quest #2: Gain 100 culture - reward is 15K coin and 8.5K supplies;
Repeatable quest #3: Gain 3000 goods (both collecting and trading count) - reward is 60K coin and 4K supplies;
Repeatable quest #4: Solve 4 encounters - reward is 60K coin and 4K supplies;
ETC.

That can be true. I have None of that repeatable quests ;)
My only one which give me supplies as a reward are:

Quest #1: Collect 1000 goods - cost about 500-1000 supplies = 1500 Supplies reward
Quest #2: Upgrade 3 Buildings - costs min 7k supplies = 5000 supplies reward
Quest #3: Gain 300 of boosted Tier 2 good - costs 400 supplies = 300 supplies reward
Quest #4: Upgrade 2 Workshops -costs min 6000 supplies = 5000 supplies reward
Quest #5: Train 300 Units - costs min 4500 supplies = 3600 supplies reward
Quest #6: Finish a province - costs min 500 troops (6000-7000 supplies) = 3200 supplies reward

So you see before reaching the full endgame its (as human) not possible to resign Workshops.
Okay you could if you have someone in your Hood who would trade 1000 goods back and forth the whole day with you. But thats only one quest which can be exploited too easy and should exclude trading.

DeletedUser58

Do you not have a quest that gives a supply reward for collecting X number of coin? I've had a version of that repeatable quest 3 times now (so one for 3 different "ages"). That one doesn't requite any supplies at all and it's the most beneficial one.

DeletedUser326

Maybe ist a difference between Humans and Elfs. I had a quest Collect 10k coins but that was a one time Story quest or something.

DeletedUser

I had 1 large boost of supplies and coin when I followed the main storyline it is already gone. I have 6/7 workshops above level 4. I have 2 armories 5/4 and a barracks level 5. I don't have space for more workshops as I need the space for the upgraded workshops. This is annoying for me as I am constantly in trouble with the space in my city.

DeletedUser

Maybe ist a difference between Humans and Elfs. I had a quest Collect 10k coins but that was a one time Story quest or something.

It depends on where you are in the research tree, and how many provinces you conquered.

I need to collect 4k supplies for 75k coins which is easy, earning me millions a day. The other quest is to collect 40k coins for 8k supplies. All i need to do is help 4 neighbours for 40k coins and i'm done. I can easily collect over a 100k supplies by doing that.

DeletedUser199

It depends on where you are in the research tree, and how many provinces you conquered.

I need to collect 4k supplies for 75k coins which is easy, earning me millions a day. The other quest is to collect 40k coins for 8k supplies. All i need to do is help 4 neighbours for 40k coins and i'm done. I can easily collect over a 100k supplies by doing that.

I'm stuck with the same quests for more than 4 weeks.
Please, Nosferatu, tell me where you are in the tech-tree and how many provinces have you conquered.

I am human and I just researched Crossbowmen Promotion. After researching Advanced Scouts I will Research Priests and all Avanced 3rd-tier factories. Up to now I conquered 72 provinces. Maybe you can give me some hope.

Thanks in advance.

DeletedUser

I'm stuck with the same quests for more than 4 weeks.
Please, Nosferatu, tell me where you are in the tech-tree and how many provinces have you conquered.

I am human and I just researched Crossbowmen Promotion. After researching Advanced Scouts I will Research Priests and all Avanced 3rd-tier factories. Up to now I conquered 72 provinces. Maybe you can give me some hope.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not that much further in the tech tree. I'm currently researching superior armory. I have 77 provinces cleared. I take it these quests will change over time, but i have no idea exactly how many provinces you need to clear, or how far in the research tree you need to go. It seems we're going to be stuck with these quests for a while.