• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Is Beta dying?

Dhurrin

I am glad that it isn't up to you to determine who is considered as useful and/or having a reason (issue?) to be on beta...
Because I feel Beta is supposed to be an actual testingground and not a playground? So basically because I say it should do what it is supposed to do and players there should be judged by different standards than players who just want to have fun? There are more than enough servers on the live worlds for that. Not that many beta-servers for elvenar.

I know it may be controversial, but I feel people (and programs, and companies etc) should actually do what they are supposed to do.
I'm also pretty black/white on say...only using entrance-exam scores for admission to universities, instead of saying there may be some nice toddlers out there, so let them in.

Lelanya

I think, Dhurrin, that you misunderstand. There  is a serious test server, but sadly the only folks on it are Devs, a handful of CMs, and the odd other person. Very few folks on that server are serious players.

So there is Beta to get eyes on the quests, to weed out bugs, mistakes and badly translated quests. If there is not enough of a metric for viability, a new feature goes next to the two oldest, best established servers, International and German.

There have always been many kinds of players on Beta. There are those who wants to test features. There are those who want to run with the game leaders, and of course the biggest concentration is to be found here. Many in these categories play part of the time only. There are those who want to play in a more restricted market, in other words, serious players. There are those who don't play at all, they are here to look around.

There is nothing wrong with any approach. The real challenge is to build fellowships from the right mix of players. I fall into the first category. I will play every event and every FA, but when live realms are busy I might just casually check in here.

I used to feel bad about missing on 'Guild dues' but then, I didn't get asked if we needed Tournament, Events, Spire, Seasons and Cauldron all running simultaneously. I happen to think this ramping up of the pace contributes to irritability, intransigence, and fragmentation of focus. So no, I don't feel bad taking a break when I need it.

Katwick

Because I feel Beta is supposed to be an actual testingground and not a playground?
You should perhaps consider volunteering as a member of the support staff. Beta is more a Dress Rehearsal than a testing environment.

It's likely that many members of the support staff have access to a true test server, wherein the tester can arbitrarily set a great many of the environmental variables, so that they can replicate suspicious situations. That's much closer to the sort of environment that you're advocating.

Last edited:

Dhurrin

I think, Dhurrin, that you misunderstand. There  is a serious test server, but sadly the only folks on it are Devs, a handful of CMs, and the odd other person. Very few folks on that server are serious players.

So there is Beta to get eyes on the quests, to weed out bugs, mistakes and badly translated quests. If there is not enough of a metric for viability, a new feature goes next to the two oldest, best established servers, International and German.

There have always been many kinds of players on Beta. There are those who wants to test features. There are those who want to run with the game leaders, and of course the biggest concentration is to be found here. Many in these categories play part of the time only. There are those who want to play in a more restricted market, in other words, serious players. There are those who don't play at all, they are here to look around.

There is nothing wrong with any approach. The real challenge is to build fellowships from the right mix of players. I fall into the first category. I will play every event and every FA, but when live realms are busy I might just casually check in here.

I used to feel bad about missing on 'Guild dues' but then, I didn't get asked if we needed Tournament, Events, Spire, Seasons and Cauldron all running simultaneously. I happen to think this ramping up of the pace contributes to irritability, intransigence, and fragmentation of focus. So no, I don't feel bad taking a break when I need it.
No, I understand perfectly. I have been beta-testing for other games too for a long time. I have beta-tested other products than games too.

What you referred to is the alpha-test. Which is supposed to be the devs etc, with maybe some serious players, but Alpha is usually very small scale and tends to leave a lot of issues unsolved.

A beta test generally is supposed to have a way larger, but still limited, base of people who are not involved in the developing, because that means they come in with open eyes. All devs tend to have some blind spots as some things are blaringly obvious to them since it is part of their process, while it may not be for others. It's part of the process, an occupational hazard, which is why you want a different base for a beta test.

Elvenar is just one of the extremely few products that I have tested that treats beta basically as nothing more than a live world. Yes, of course some crap gets caught here before it goes live, but it seems to be far from the main focus.

I have never stated there is anything wrong with any kind of approach of PLAYING the game. However, there is a huge difference between playing and testing.

@Katwick
I might have done that, except I just don't have the time. Elvenar is a side-thingy for me. If I were to do that I know I would get immersed way too far and spend way too much time on it, I know myself too well to think I could just do that on the side.

Karvest

150 goldmines here, almost 1/3.
162 goldmines 3 weeks later, more than 1/3 of all discovered city tiles. few active neighbors moved to the center, a lot of inactive cities are still sitting at their places, even those who are offline for more than a year and should be moved out of the map long ago (not deleted, just hidden until they become active, according to city movement rules published earlier)...

Enevhar Aldarion

I really hope you're totally wrong: in many forums there are useful discussion (for example, Mikan's or Scroll Keepers in US) that would be awful to be lost.

Direct quote from the announcement post:

"But wait, what about the forums?
Don't worry, the forums will still be available for a while, even if we are gradually shifting our focus to the Discord server. In the long term, we plan to fully transition to Discord, but for at least the upcoming months the forums will remain open and accessible."

Lovec Krys

"But wait, what about the forums?
Don't worry, the forums will still be available for a while, even if we are gradually shifting our focus to the Discord server. In the long term, we plan to fully transition to Discord, but for at least the upcoming months the forums will remain open and accessible."
So after 7 years no more comments from me then. It will be strange for me to belong to the group who don't go to forum anymore.

Dhurrin

I am moving my Scrolls information over to the Discord server. I hope others will do the same.
Though I applaud your effort, it will probably mean I won't be looking in anymore. I have no discord-account and don't have any real inclination to create one. Also have no clue as to why the shift will take place; it's not as if on Discord Inno will suddenly start actually listening to feedback.

And I just do not like being forced to create another account somewhere, get yet another app etc.

blackthornraven

The new official Discord needs a lot of work before it’s very helpful to the general population. It’s a little chaotic now and easy to miss a lot of discussions. Very confusing if you’re not used to that server style.
It needs many more sub channels and categories to include all gaming topics.
I just don’t understand why they are choosing to faze out the actual forums, as they are and going to a chat server. This forum is so much easier to use and find what you’re looking for, it’s much more professional looking and clear.

I like discord for chatting but not as an official gaming forum.

I guess this is our discussion thread for the Discord announcement given on the forum. :confused:

FaunaWillow

@Deadeye Jerry can we get some clarification as to what will happen to all the threads here and on other forums in the future, once these forums become obsolete? Eight years of gaming information is crucially important, not only for players but for INNO themselves to have on hand.
Also, are we going to be able to link the forum on Discord at some point so the people who join can actually view past gaming discussions/release notes/announcements, etc.?
Thanks!

Enevhar Aldarion

@Deadeye Jerry can we get some clarification as to what will happen to all the threads here and on other forums in the future, once these forums become obsolete? Eight years of gaming information is crucially important, not only for players but for INNO themselves to have on hand.
Also, are we going to be able to link the forum on Discord at some point so the people who join can actually view past gaming discussions/release notes/announcements, etc.?
Thanks!

From my experience on other forums that were shut down, if the users do not import the information to another site, it will be lost forever once the plug is pulled.

Karvest

It's hard to find something on inno forums, but at least it's possible, and you can use google to narrow search results.
On discord it would be almost impossible to find something that is not mentioned recently... not talking about years of information which won't be migrated.