• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Text Condition "OR" on event quest n. 45

PrimroseSylvia

Task asks to collect OR use entchantments; it's not correct because you can collect AND/OR use them to progress.

qi7iYCZ.png

Katwick

Task asks to collect OR use entchantments; it's not correct because you can collect AND/OR use them to progress.

qi7iYCZ.png
Were it an Exclusive Or then yeah. Only one of the several conditions.

But a OR condition is satisfied by one or more of multiple conditions, and is inclusive of AND which requires all of them.

PrimroseSylvia

I'm not sure having undestand what you mean, but task condition should be AND/OR, neither OR nor AND, because OR means that you have only one option to choose between collecting or (indeed) using spells, and AND won't be fully corrected.

Katwick

Vernacular English is pretty sloppy regarding logical conditions. Stated precisely:
  • OR means Any or All of the several choices, so at least one of them must be True for the test to be True
  • Exclusive Or means Only One of the several choices may be True. None and Many are both False conditions
  • AND means that ALL of the several conditions must be True for the test itself to be true
In the case of our typical quests, you can do either one of them, but if you do them both you're still OK, so OR is the correct operator.
forum (1).jpg

Edit by Jerry- it was more than max size, check rule 6 in forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrimroseSylvia

You are forgetting that all those quests has to be translated in other languages, and not all of them have the same rules as "vernacular english"; in italian, OR means that you must meet only ONE of proposed tasks, while AND means that you must meet every proposed tasks. So, AND/OR includes all possible variables.
And that's why AND/OR has been used until now.
But, as we have already seen, new devs often rephrase tasks (with not-so-good results).

Katwick

How deep do you want to dig the hole? I've yet to see a quest condition that required other than One or More of the indicated Actions.

The base Reality is that common experience, and therefore vernacular language, is pretty fuzzy when dealing with logic and statistics, but computers are literal-minded beasts.

For example, if somebody asks,
"Do you want Soup or Salad?"
"YES" will just get you a dirty look.

If we want to bridge the gap, I'd suggest "One or More of," followed by the conditions in that group.

FB_IMG_1620001590371.jpg

Last edited:

Karvest

IIRC there are no more quests which have "OR" in text, but count mentioned things separately, which was the main problem with all this OR vs AND/OR drama. Any OR now means that it will sum everything, for example on screenshot from first post - you can collect 3 enchantments + use 3 enchantments and get quest done.
It's not "(collect x6) or (use x6)", but "(collect or use) x6". It was hard to distinguish these two things in the past due to different translations, but now there should be only one option for such quests - second. First option would appear only as different quests like this:
1692644207483.png

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Seems like this discussion is no longer about the text in the game but about wanting to be right...
It's about both really. It's important that the language used in game, especially in quests is as clear and unambiguous as possible. However it would be helpful if folk could stick to the actual topic of the thread, which is of course about the best wording for the quest

Enevhar Aldarion

The problem with this wording in the quests is that in past events OR meant only one or the other. But now in this event, and maybe the previous one, OR means any combination of both. Because of this, whenever I see OR, I automatically do one or the other and don't even try for a mix, because in the past that didn't work. So now it is just confusing.

Karvest

For my english "OR" is "any combination", as well as in translation to my native language used ingame. And it was confusing back when it was not "any combination" (especially when you can't say which part is going to be fulfilled by looking at partially done quest), and now it's ok. Inno made a good job visualizing quest conditions to separate (collect or use) x6 from (collect x6) or (use x6).
For those languages where "OR" means something else there should be just another translation.

Dorfl the Clay

However it would be helpful if folk could stick to the actual topic of the thread, which is of course about the best wording for the quest
The problem with this wording in the quests is that in past events OR meant only one or the other. But now in this event, and maybe the previous one, OR means any combination of both.
My problem is that within the same adventure OR + AND/OR are used meaning the same thing but also have the different meanings.. That's what's really confusing! I don't care about which grammatically is the right or wrong one, as long as it is clear and consistent!