• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Books

DeletedUser

You are right Rug, but sometimes it is enjoyable to see how others fit in a movie. And not all movies are a letdown, look at Narnia or the Lord of the Rings. (I don't mean the Hobbit.) But others with a lower budget like Percy Jackson and Eragon should be banned from public.

DeletedUser231

Lord of the rings was 3 good movies, but not great movies. I like talented actors with good scripts and excellent directing. But they can never surpass an active imagination of the reader of good books. All too often I read the book and watch the movie and the movie is a let down.

DeletedUser58

I'm sooo angry at the Eragon movie. I loved the books (though I feel as the sequels came they were less and less excellent, but overall the series is still great) and the movie just completely butchered the story. I feel the Lord of the Rings movies were fantastic adaptations and great movies. Some movies turn out great, some not so much, and obviously taste plays a part in the end as well. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the Warcraft movie coming out in March 2016, it'll be the first movie adapted from a video game that I'll watch (though it has its own stories and novellas written in the world of the game).

DeletedUser

I don't know world of warcraft. I like the Dragon Age Dawn of the Seeker anime tough it s only fun if you understand the lore behind it.

Deleted User - 4645

:rolleyes: How do I begin to describe my favourite topic ....books or should I say reading as these days I use a mini iPad with the Kindle app.

I know there are those that say a story is not worth reading unless it is in book form but I have been converted to the modern era partly for convenience sake and partly because the cost of paper books in Australia is twice as much as anywhere else I have ever been to and I have travelled a lot.
Travelling with an iPad is much better as I can load up before I go with as may books as I could possibly hope to read and then only have to carry the weight of one...the only problem is the need to recharge the battery :p.

As for what I like to read, this has changed over the decades but is usually surrounded by mystery...can be sci- fi, murder or fantasy.

Have read through most of Stephen Kings and Dean Koontz books
The Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jean M Auel
Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon (just wish she would hurry up and finish book 9) which is also now a TV series (yippee :D)
Too many to name them all but I love books by Lee Child, James Petterson, Jeffery Deaver, Patrica Cornwell, Linda Fairstein, Karin Slaughter. Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, Dan Brown, Jeffery Archer, Kathy Reichs

With a teenager in the house my reading has not been limited to adult books and so I can also recommend many younger age and Young Adult books.
There are several great Australian authors in this category
Emily Rodda ...The Deltora Quest series and Rondo series ...these are great if you are around 10 :cool: they are fantasy/ dragon type stories(I believe)
John Marsden ...The Tomorrow Series...this is similar to the American movie Red Dawn but was written first. It is a great story about a group of teens that go camping for a weekend (with no modern cons) and come home to find that Australia has been invaded and everyone rounded up and taken prisoner and how these teens reek havoc on the invaders (country of origin unnamed) and help take back their country.
John Flanagan... The Rangers Apprentice series and BrotherBand series. BrotherBand is a spin off from the Rangers series and is about another group of teens but this time set in Viking times and the adventures they get up to.

No family reading with a teen girl in the house would be complete without
Stephanie Meyers ... Twilight series (Loved the books HATED the movie..I only bothered to watch the 1st one)
JK Rowlings ...Harry Potter...say no more ;)
Cassandra Clare ... The Infernal Devices series and it's spinoff The Mortal Instruments series and now the new one The Shadow Hunters Academy
(these are great if you are into fantasy realms, werewolves, warlocks and shadow hunters (of course)..Enjoyed the movie (City of Bones) but I heard on the grapevine that the other books will be made into a TV series.
Veronica Roth ...The Divergent series...enjoyed movie #1 and looking forward to #2

One day I will begin GRR Martins ...Game of Thrones series but for now I am happy to watch it all instead. I know they are different from each other but it would be hard to put it all into a TV series...It keeps my head spinning (but left attached) just watching the series.

There are also countless no-huge-name e-reader authors out there that I have also read so if you like murder mysteries/fantasy and want some suggestions on unheard of authors for your e-reader then just message me.

We should start a book club :eek::confused::mad::(:oops:

DeletedUser

For the last few years I've been hooked up on fantasy. I love most of Brandon Sanderson's books (Mistborn trilogy, Stromlight Archive series, Elantris, etc), Patrick Rothfuss "Kingkiller Chronicles" (can't wait for next book!), Scott Lynch's "Gentleman Bastard" series and so on. Finished "Wheel of Time" last year, that was quite a journey :)

DeletedUser819

I like to read and I could read all time :)))
Lord of the Rings -> J.R.R. Tolkin
Märchenmond -> Hohlbein
Wintersonnenwende -> Susan Cooper
Stone and the Flute -> Hans Bemmann

but also :::
The Tibetan ---> Federica de Cesco
The Dream Hunter -> Federica de Cesco
I love all the books of the author

and literature :::
by the author Eckhart Tolle, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Fritjof Capra and others

DeletedUser481

:))) I love horror, too ... actually Book of Taxes or statement of account :)))

R.E. Feist - whatever
mr. Terry ( R.I.P.)
Christopher Rowley and his wyvern Basil
William King - whichever Slayer
... and of course Andrzej Sapkowski...

And ... Red Dwarf ( but this is sci - fi :))) and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :))))

ophion

Favourite books of all time include...

The Lord of the rings trilogy JRR Tolkein...
All the Harry Potter series JK Rowling

The Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake comprising...
Titus Groan
Gormenghast
Titus Alone

The Stephen Donaldson trilogy comprising...
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever...Lord Foul's bane
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever...The Illearth War
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever...The Power that preserves

The Belgariad novels by David Eddings

Gather darkness - Fritz Leiber
All the "I robot" short stories - Isaac Azimov

IT - Stephen King

Just to name a few.:D

Last edited:

DeletedUser283

in my bookshelf ...

Tolkien (all of it)
The warhound (Michael Moorcock)
The chronicles of the Discworld by the late Terry Pratchett
Homer (the greek poet, you fools, not the yellow guy in the cartoons :p )
the complete works of Dr François Rabelais
Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The novel I most recommend is Ten Little Niggers by Agatha Christie ;)

- -