• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

Pauly7

Standing this stupid ground that only a small percentage of players are affected, which looking at my server, 1.7%, is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if these players represent half the financial base of this server.
If we go by the same rationale of players scoring over 300 being the only ones that are actually playing the tournament (as opposed to dipping in for a few encounters to pick up FS rewards), then the number is different. With your numbers I can look at those scoring over 500. Out of those 2,680 people there are 360 scoring over 2,500, which is 13.4%. I would guess that if you took all those people scoring above 300, then you might get a similar result - i.e. about 10-12% of tournament players will be adversely affected.

This is the minority, but it isn't a tiny percentage.

edeba

Yes, I bet the players that do under 500 points hardly spend a cent. I know for a fact on our server one of the big spenders is in the 2500 to 5000 point range because he just can't stomach the clicking to compete. I bet the 727 players who score above 1600 points account for 90% of the sales, and 15% of them are being very hard hit with this tournament change, and an unknown number of the 85% have been looking forward to this to step up their game.

If we go by the same rationale of players scoring over 300 being the only ones that are actually playing the tournament (as opposed to dipping in for a few encounters to pick up FS rewards), then the number is different. With your numbers I can look at those scoring over 500. Out of those 2,680 people there are 360 scoring over 2,500, which is 13.4%. I would guess that if you took all those people scoring above 300, then you might get a similar result - i.e. about 10-12% of tournament players will be adversely affected.

This is the minority, but it isn't a tiny percentage.

Maillie

I know it sounds skeptical, but I have to believe that once it's sent to the live cities it's pretty much etched in stone. The smaller players can outperform the ones that put so much time and effort ... and money ... into the game.

The bottom line is that to enjoy the benefits of the tournament we all need to abandon our end game cities and create chapter 8 event cities, pay no more money for expansions, and never move ahead. Why does this sound good to the developers?

marcovaldo19

Hi guys,

@LOKINHO: The total difficulty calculation is a combination of a lot of factors. If you reduce or take out one of them, of course percentage wise the rest will get a bigger influence in the whole, that is correct.
when you say this, do you imply that the target difficulty is not affected by the reduction because other factors will be changed as well in the opposite direction?
from what I see you are placing a hat to what can be done in tournaments, maybe to reduce the number of KP we can have each week. This has only one reason in my opinion. the speed to complete chapters is too high for too many players. and those players are the spending time and money. change simply the rewards from the 10^ province and reduce the number of kp available there. add different rewards to make the fights or catering still worth the time and the money spent.

spennyit

If they take away KPs from tournaments (because of cap or because they change rewards), I hope that they will take away KPs from researches too!!!!! I don't want to take 8-12 months to do a chapter!!!!! In my opinion everybody should be able to do a chapter in 3-4 months and then have some time to grow the village. If somebody is faster, I am happy for him/her :)

I was able to do last chapter in 3,5 months only because I get 210 KPs a week from tournaments. If I will be able to get only 100 KPs a week from tournaments, I will take 2 months more (at least) and this will make the game to frantic to me: I want to grow at a "slow" pace :) I can't imagine how long will they take they who do just the first provinces in tournaments :-(

Jammin

I know it sounds skeptical, but I have to believe that once it's sent to the live cities it's pretty much etched in stone. The smaller players can outperform the ones that put so much time and effort ... and money ... into the game.

The bottom line is that to enjoy the benefits of the tournament we all need to abandon our end game cities and create chapter 8 event cities, pay no more money for expansions, and never move ahead. Why does this sound good to the developers?

If research in the game is no longer of any use to me and there is no longer any meaningful way to store knowledge points, then the game is dead and we can look for something else.
If it makes sense for me to buy expansions and level up every crappy ancient wonder, then I want to see evidence of it, not hear fairy tales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lovec Krys

@spennyit Don't expect KPs needed for research to go down. I bet next chapter costs even more KPs than the Embassies chapter.
Btw, I looked at the Elvenstats and current ingame results of the last two tournaments (the current and the previous one). The comparision is numbers are number of players who have more than some limit scores.
Points.........Last....this
>20000.....1.........0
>10000.....9.........3
>7000.......19.......7
>6000.......31......12
>5000.......49......27
>4000.......72......61
Score at position 100 (3378 (last) vs 3462 (this).
(20 prov. 6* = 5400 points, 15 prov. 6* = 4050 points, 20 prov 5*=4200 points)

Last edited:

spennyit

@spennyit Don't expect KPs needed for research to go down. I bet next chapter costs even more KPs than the Embassies chapter.

Well, you are probably right, but:
- Embassies had an abnormal KPs growth per research with respect to previous chapters
- chapter 15 had an abnormal request for sentient goods and this was reduced in Embassies
- if they reduce how many KPs we can get from tournaments they should reduce the quantities they ask for researches :)

I stay positive: I like some aspects of the game and I hope I will not be forced to quit :-(

Jackluyt

I can't really comment on whether or not these changes are the best way to do it, but I can definitely comment that I think these changes are overall an improvement. They affect everyone so it's not really putting me specifically at a disadvantage, and above all else, I won't have to spend at least two hours a week doing nothing but clicking on encounters anymore. The time savings are what's really important to me!

I quite agree!
A little minor tweaking would make things better, but this is a big step in the right direction, IMO.
I hope they make it easier to fight a few more provinces each day though - otherwise I've spent two years of hard work building super efficient fighting cities and now they aren't a lot of use to me - and that is a big blehhhh...

Maillie

A little minor tweaking would make things better, but this is a big step in the right direction, IMO.
I agree. This is definitely "a big step in the right direction" for the cities that never grow. It is surely a big step in the right direction for the cities that never see sentient goods. It's certainly a big step in the right direction for the cities that never experience an entire chapter with only one expansion to accommodate new, gigantic, boosted sentient goods buildings, a massive Main Hall upgrade, with a huge barracks and an entire settlement to deal with. It's a big step in the right direction ... for an event city.

For the ones that play the game as it's written ... it is the biggest step backward ever.

Deleted User - 88256

Rereading the announcement I just found another lie :
"And last but not least, the difficulty of a Tournament Province will no longer exclusively increase for each level of the Tournament, but now also with each Province, albeit with a less steep increase. "
No, each province increases the difficulty as much as one star level, not less.

Dony

King of Bugs
Rereading the announcement I just found another lie :
"And last but not least, the difficulty of a Tournament Province will no longer exclusively increase for each level of the Tournament, but now also with each Province, albeit with a less steep increase. "
No, each province increases the difficulty as much as one star level, not less.
no
old model had 15% increase in difficulty for every round, new model never has 15% and lowest is 1%, so that statement is correct

spennyit

no
old model had 15% increase in difficulty for every round, new model never has 15% and lowest is 1%, so that statement is correct
Of course you are right, but in the sentence there is no mentioning of the old system while there are 2 terms of comparison: "each level of the Tournament" and "with each Province". So, at least, they should improve they way they try to explain what they have in mind ;-)

Dony

King of Bugs
Of course you are right, but in the sentence there is no mentioning of the old system while there are 2 terms of comparison: "each level of the Tournament" and "with each Province". So, at least, they should improve they way they try to explain what they have in mind ;-)
in new model "each level of the Tournament" = "with each Province", its exactly the same

edeba

Btw, I looked at the Elvenstats and current ingame results of the last two tournaments (the current and the previous one). The comparision is numbers are number of players who have more than some limit scores.
Points.........Last....this
>20000.....1.........0
>10000.....9.........3
>7000.......19.......7
>6000.......31......12
>5000.......49......27
>4000.......72......61
Score at position 100 (3378 (last) vs 3462 (this).
(20 prov. 6* = 5400 points, 15 prov. 6* = 4050 points, 20 prov 5*=4200 points)
Interesting. I know I played way stronger then was sustainable the earlier tournaments and I am looking for the sweet spot for what I can do and sustain, and that is less than I did this week.

I've watched some of Dony's videos doing the super hard battles and I have not done enough manual battling to be that skilled at it. With the way the tournament ramps up, once I see the need to do manual battle, I can do about 3 more provinces and then my "skill" runs out. That lead me to thinking about how I learned to battle to do extra provinces manually in the old tournament. I'd use the early provinces to practice because making a mistake doesn't wipe out your troops. With this new system the early provinces are extremely easy and manual battle teaches you little because you have to work at it to lose. So, practicing on a more difficult level, where you actually need to learn, is going to cost you big time in losses. When I am at a higher province level and I lose all my troops in a battle, I simply stop. Troops run out too fast to mess around with heavy losses. This is another reason my proposal is better. You at least have some provinces with smaller losses to practice with, although there is nothing where the losses are low.

I think someone suggested a battle practice simulator and I tend to think that is quite necessary with this new tournament. So, for the simulator, you put in province and level that you want to practice, so people can start with a setting of say province 12, level 6 and as they get better, they increase the province setting. Level 6 should just be a default.

Anyway, I just realized that I don't see how I practice for the new tournament and that there is no place to go to work on improving without massive losses. I used to use the first 3-4 provinces for practice all the time, and now you practically can't lose so there is zero opportunity to learn without slaughtering your troops. I also used to experiment there for autofight as well.

I quite agree!
I hope they make it easier to fight a few more provinces each day though - otherwise I've spent two years of hard work building super efficient fighting cities and now they aren't a lot of use to me - and that is a big blehhhh...

The move from 4 to 1 encounters is a massive step in the right direction, but the steepness is a serious problem. I think the steepness of the increase in difficulty needs major tweaking. Everyone is going to need to tweak their city for the new tournament and that isn't that big of problem, however, the steepness of the new tournament is a serious problem.

I think someone somewhere said by slowing down the tournament the way this new tournament does, it does tend to change the game dynamics to watching paint dry. I'd have to say when I started this game it took a while to get momentum in the game and I could see how quickly you had to wait to do anything would simply lose new players and I think that has improved. But if the goal is to make the game go at a snails pace, I think that will bore people.