• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[City] Building swap feature

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

Summary
Add the possibility to swap buildings when rearranging your city (like in FOE).

Description
I currently have a problem for switching or rearrange my buildings.
All my spaces are full and if I want to switch a building like a residence (2x2) for a workshop (2x2) to get a better view of my buildings for example. I need to destroy 1 of the buildings. I'd like to have the possibility to swap 2 buildings, like in FOE so rearranging my city won't cost me any buildings.

Motivation
It would make rearranging my city less tiresome and would prevent me from having to delete one of my buildings just to rearrange my city. It's more user friendly and would contribute to the city building aspect of the game.

Possible downsides
It could be mentioned that this would negatively impact the challenge of the game, but in our experience from FOE this is not really the case and the function is even much appreciated by the players.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yes, or the possibility to switch two buildings with the move option : you select two buildings and they swap their place.

ThaMartin

Indeed, I wanted to suggest this too: A swap buildings option, like in FOE. Especially since upgrading buildings can adjust the size.

DeletedUser

+1 for this.
With your city expanding an buildings getting bigger with upgrades taht would be very helpful. Actually I leave space for rearangements unbuild when the next research to upgrade buildings is on the horizon. Do not want to build something for only two days...

DeletedUser236

+0.5 :p

I like the idea, but I actually also like the idea of planning ahead of everything and work with the space you have at the time..

DeletedUser126

Best idea that someone suggested before is use a storage system for the buildings, so you can store buildings you already built and rearrange them in any way you want to create a lot more interesting cities. This is even more important than it was in FoE.

This will help to make cities look good instead of randomly slapped group of buildings that they are right now. There are VERY few cities that actually look like cities atm.

DeletedUser43

Thanks everyone for the ideas in this thread and in the duplicate threads. I've forwarded both the idea of a swap function and the idea of a building inventory. I think it would be really helpful to have either option when rearranging your city. :)

DeletedUser

I don't like this too much. If the game provides a solution for any difficulty you may encounter, why playing a gestion game ? My opinion is there is a pleasure discovering it's worth keeping an empy slot in case you need swapping buildings.

DeletedUser317

Never played FoE, so no idea in how work the swap system, but i just raise a idea about the inventory, what if for example you have a huge surplus of you first tier boosted good, but you need more of you second o third tier boosted good, just put what you not need in the inventory and place what you need. What is the problema with this? not really a problem if dev allow this, but doing this you can save the resources and more important the time needed per construct the building, this can be used as some kind of strategic, but again i feel like this is some kind of cheating if is implemented specialy when the game is about managment of the space you have and so a big part of it, is planing ahead.

DeletedUser126

I don't like this too much. If the game provides a solution for any difficulty you may encounter, why playing a gestion game ? My opinion is there is a pleasure discovering it's worth keeping an empy slot in case you need swapping buildings.

It wont work later on any more, this only works when you are in early ages. Past certain point buildings are very big, and even having several free spots is not enough sometimes.

DeletedUser

just put what you not need in the inventory and place what you need
I support the ONE box system or swap system. Not storing 20 buildings in an inventory. And as Khebeln says: The free space to rearange must be really big in the late game. To all FoE-players: The difference between Elvenar and FoE is that there are buildings upraded several times which took days to fullfill. In FoE I had no problem to destroy a building and rebuild it seconds later. Was just a matter of coin and supplies. In Elvenar it will take a very long time to rebuild it with limited building slots in the builder. Thats why I support the swapping idea!

DeletedUser43

Just to reassure everyone: we won't implement ideas that will be used as exploits of the game. If a building inventory will be implemented, it would most likely have a maximum amount of buildings it can hold. That way, you could use it to rearrange your city, but not to store all buildings that you temporarily don't need. We will have to find the best middle ground between making the game better and making the game too easy. ;)

DeletedUser236

It wont work later on any more, this only works when you are in early ages. Past certain point buildings are very big, and even having several free spots is not enough sometimes.

So why not make it something you can research? So you keep the "planning challenge" in at least tier 1 and 2 and maybe you can research a storage option or swapping option (whatever people prefer) in the beginning of tier 3? I just reached tier 3 and still like planning ahead and trying to make my city work.. Of course I have space issues, but I like that challenge :)

DeletedUser126

So why not make it something you can research? So you keep the "planning challenge" in at least tier 1 and 2 and maybe you can research a storage option or swapping option (whatever people prefer) in the beginning of tier 3? I just reached tier 3 and still like planning ahead and trying to make my city work.. Of course I have space issues, but I like that challenge :)

Sounds good. I think ability to sore max 10 buildings would be fine. It can be exploited but it would allow to rearrange city in more fancy and interesting shapes than just random tetris as it is right now sadly, for the most part at least.

DeletedUser231

I keep a space open just for such a need. When I need to rearrange my whole city I plan ahead and when another city expansion is coming up I plan accordingly. This swap or store idea does make it much much easier than the tedious rearranging and a player can spend a long time doing it slowly one at a time. Especially difficult if a player has no room.

DeletedUser

I keep a space open just for such a need.
I leave a few of my roads at the lowest level (Footpath) so when I want to rearrange things I can just delete them then rebuild them for free when I am done moving things around.

DeletedUser58

I do that as well, leave roads or a bit of space for movement in the future. I also try to plan to place the buildings ahead of time so there is space for their upgraded version.

But +1 for the ideas presented here. I especially like the idea Acamax presents.