• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Research Non-boosted Manufactory Research

Would you support this idea?

• Total voters

DeletedUser

To reach the Advanced Main Hall research I must first research Spot of Whispering Trees but to research that I must finish researching ALL three of the Advanced Manufactory researches (steel, planks and marble) which is a little unfair, in my opinion.

I do not like this because out of those three manufactories I only get a production boost for ONE of them. As a result of this I do not bother building the other two manufactories (I did at first but have realised this isn't a very good idea) as it is generally a waste of space and resources for little gain when compared to the boosted manufactory.

What I would like is for it to be changed to only require one out of the three advanced manufactory researches to be completed in order to progress to Spot of Whispering Trees instead of requiring all three of them. That way myself and everyone else can progress with our one boosted advanced manufactory and we can still choose to research the remaining two later if we like (but aren't forced to).

DeletedUser136

There are still quests which can not be declined that require you to complete all of the researches at each level.

DeletedUser

Sounds like a fun quest! I hope it rewards diamonds like it does in Forge of Empires.

DeletedUser

You can easily get around this with 5-minute demands on your workshops and trading at the relatively high wholesaler prices. Yes, they are high prices - but you can generate supplies ridiculously fast with 5-minute demands (almost as fast as a boosted good if you are careful with timing)

DeletedUser236

Sounds like a fun quest! I hope it rewards diamonds like it does in Forge of Empires.
Keep hoping! ;) If you don't like those quests to be forced upon players, you might want to take a look at this (click) thread.
There are some other ideas about having a choice in the research tree as well as you can see here (click) that you might wanna check out :D

DeletedUser

I think this is one of those things game designers should be allowed to do any way they want. Or, put it another way, it's a consequence of some other game decision and not a game decision of its own.
Especially considering the research bottleneck we currently experience. If you're lacking certain goods, there's nothing to spend your KPs on. Might as well spend them on these technologies.

DeletedUser

You can easily get around this with 5-minute demands on your workshops and trading at the relatively high wholesaler prices. Yes, they are high prices - but you can generate supplies ridiculously fast with 5-minute demands (almost as fast as a boosted good if you are careful with timing)
I don't understand what you mean by "you can get around this".. Get around what? I already buy off the wholesaler and put offers up of any excess goods I have from my boosted manufactory so I don't have a problem getting non-boosted goods. I don't build these non-boosted manufactories because they take up precious space for a lot less gain than a boosted manufactory. And, no, I'm not going to babysit this game every five minutes just so I can get around something. How is that fun?

I think this is one of those things game designers should be allowed to do any way they want. Or, put it another way, it's a consequence of some other game decision and not a game decision of its own.
Especially considering the research bottleneck we currently experience. If you're lacking certain goods, there's nothing to spend your KPs on. Might as well spend them on these technologies.
Of course the designers should be allowed to whatever they want - it's their game, after all. I don't mind going back and using my KP on these researches once I reach a point where I don't have enough goods to progress but at the moment I have plenty of goods and I'm being forced to spend my KP on manufactory upgrades that I will never use in order to continue progressing through the research tree. It doesn't make sense to build these non-boosted manufactories when I can just trade my boosted goods (which I produce A LOT more of) on the market at a 1:1 rate. It's a waste of time and KP and I find it quite boring.

DeletedUser58

I agree with this but I do believe the change should include non-skippable quests as well --- it doesn't help me that I don't have to research all 3 if my quest progress gets blocked by that same requirement.

DeletedUser629

Since many players have given us more feedback on this issue, i feel we should debate this more thoroughly :)

DeletedUser1095

You can easily get around this with 5-minute demands on your workshops and trading at the relatively high wholesaler prices.

I don't understand, RoaringWhisper - we can easily get around what that way?

As for the poll question: I want my vote to be a "qualified yes", as in: We all get "secondary boosts", right? So requiring us to complete two out of three of the advanced-manufactory technologies would make enough sense to me.

DeletedUser

As for the poll question: I want my vote to be a "qualified yes", as in: We all get "secondary boosts", right? So requiring us to complete two out of three of the advanced-manufactory technologies would make enough sense to me.
Secondary boosts? As in a production boost to two out of three goods for a single group? If that's what you mean then I don't think so. We get one boosted good for each group of three goods (basic, precious and rare) and the boosts you have are shown on the relics tab in your Main Hall.

DeletedUser1095

I seem to have a secondary boost for steel. It's not as high a boost as I have for marble (my "main good"), and so far steel relics I collect don't seem to count for anything, but I produce steel at double the rate at which I produce the planks in the same level manufactory.

So unless my situation is some kind of benevolent bug, that right there would seem like a reasonable reason to have us research two advanced manufactories - to make us aware that we do have a secondary boost, in case we hadn't noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1095

Fair enough! Sorry for confusing things.
Still, I think the main problem here is not the requirement to research stuff we don't need, but the "bottleneck" in the tech tree - that we don't have the option at that point to research the Spot of Trees or whatever before going back to research the other items. It's also a bit odd to know in advance what all three boosted goods will be - maybe if the "precious" and "rare" ones were kept as a surprise at first it would seem more normal to do research that isn't apparently/immediately necessary.

DeletedUser629

The way i see it, players want to be able to skip the non-boosted goods research so that they can research the things they really need to advance in the game at an acceptable pace, and research the non-boosted factories later on. Some researches in the tree have a ''dead end'', so i guess this is what players would like for the non-boosted goods as well?

DeletedUser1095

The way i see it, players want to be able to skip the non-boosted goods research so that they can research the things they really need to advance in the game at an acceptable pace, and research the non-boosted factories later on. Some researches in the tree have a ''dead end'', so i guess this is what players would like for the non-boosted goods as well?

That sounds right.

DeletedUser

Yup, pretty much spot on. My idea was more along the lines of only one of the three manufactory researches were needed to progress (not necessarily the boosted one) but I guess it makes more sense to research your boosted good.

I think my wish is ultimately more choice in the research tree. From my point of view I see two different playstyles: one of peace (via producing goods and trading) and one of war (using troops to conquer stuff). I believe that those who like to fight shouldn't be forced to research trade stuff, such as good manufactories and their upgrades, and those who don't like to fight shouldn't be required to research combat stuff such as bigger squad sizes, troop upgrades etc.

DeletedUser

To me it feels quite normal that you cannot research any technology you'd like to at once. It's not wrong, that there are some 'lower' technologies to be researched first.

You can ask now: Should a completed manufactory research be necessary to research any certain technolgy or not (that way would end in a dead branch). If so, this cannot be reduced just to a boosted good, otherwise players with a certain boost would have an advantage against others to have the additional benefit of building boosted manufactory if researching a certain branch of the research tree. Also you have different goods and other demandments/unlocking costs, if just researching one of three manufactory technologies.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser629

Okay, but fighting can take a very long time for example, so the opportunity of negotiating should always be there, and for that you need factories.