• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Will future fighting be PvP in all but name?

DeletedUser

I'm hearing some discussion that the proposed joint fighting may be a competitive tournament - where players compete in an attempt to outscore other players for rewards.

Does anyone here think that this type of relative PvP is, in effect, no different than direct PvP?
In outcome, is there real difference between having my city overrun by an invading army or having it languish without prospect of progress if my fighting can't excel others?

Elvenar is appealing because everyone can "win". Slowly or quickly, cooperatively and non-competitively...anyone can attain the game goals. The only discriminator is payer vs non-payer, and thus far even this variable is limited to pace: it doesn't make attainment impossible. If Inno releases a limited number of rewards made available only to "winners", this will re-define the game.

We've seen some conflict over soliciting Fellowship members. We've seen Fellowships go into protect-and-defend mode over Rune "sniping". Competitive fighting, with its inherent exclusions, is another incompatible concept, and I think a worse one than the Rune Shard competition (released without adequate consideration of its impact on the total game environment).

Joint fighting will be an enjoyable addition to the game - IF the rewards are available to all players who meet specific goals. I know that in Beta we review existing pre-release features, but in this instance, can we go on record regarding this concept (before Inno commits and our opinions are limited to bug fixes?)

DeletedUser629

We never release any info about future updates before they are released. In my opinion, players should not start any rumors regarding future updates. It is unknown at this point what the joint fighting update will look like exactly, so we'll have to wait for Innogames TV to share any info about this feature.

DeletedUser

Thank you for this clarification, Goryn. Within these parameters, it still feels practical for us to engage in some theoretical discussion about possible game developments.

Perhaps if we had brainstormed about the Wonders beforehand, thus giving the developers some player frame of reference, players would now have a better understanding of the future here. Since the majority of comments about Wonders are negative, it gives me pause. Should I assume that Inno
  1. isn't aware of what players enjoy or dislike
  2. doesn't care what current players enjoy or dislike or
  3. has some hidden genius plan which will mysteriously transform the unpopular details into something enjoyable.
As example, consider a simple issue, like the fact that Wonders and Spells were added without corresponding updates to the scoring mechanism. The devs establish a goal, define the process for ranking players, and then ignore their own system. Does this mean that Inno think score / rank is irrelevant to most of us? Do they have plans to eliminate / modify the scoring system, in which case those of us who have cities based on score will suddenly be at a disadvantage? Currently there's not enough information to allow speculation as to their motive. Since we didn't have a Forum discussion where players discussed their perspectives about score / rank, we still have to assume that Inno could be relatively clueless and just have overlooked the issue.

When it comes to fighting, I'd like to avoid this type of "benefit of the doubt" scenario. Given that the game has introduced competitive elements, we should strongly consider an open discussion about PvP.

Personally, I'm an excellent fighter, have a huge army in reserve now, and could engage successfully in competition (if I connect with an equal partner). Still, I don't want to be in a situation where my success in Elvenar depends on defeating other players. I enjoy the process of succeeding because of cooperative Fellowship play. I'm ranked #2 Arendyll, and could easily be #1 - but I elected to keep my ten T2 manufactories in order to fulfill my obligations to Fellowship.

Everyone has their own personal playing style - does anyone else have thoughts they'd like to make public before the content is fully developed?

:) [with regard to Muf-Muf stating that Inno has no plans to add PvP to Elvenar]

Does anyone feel that the competition for limited numbers of Rune Shards is an indirect PvP?

DeletedUser867

In my mind the important Player vs Player distinction is whether, or not, somebody else can INTERFERE with my city.

If folks band together for mutual benefit, to maximize their returns on Ancient Wonder investments for example, that's merely a team effort. Nobody "loses" when there's a mutual benefit for all participants.

Now, if you happen to be on the "wrong" team you're not going to gain ground as fast, but that's entirely different than losing ground.

DeletedUser

com·pete
kəmˈpēt/
verb

strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.
"universities are competing for applicants"
synonyms:take part, participate, play, be a competitor, be involved; More

• take part in a contest.
    "he competed in numerous track meets as a child"
    synonyms:rival, challenge, keep up with, keep pace with, compare with, match, be in the same league as, come near to, come close to, touch;
    informalhold a candle to

In order to be clear, I'd like to state that many players want to compete entirely against the game environment, and not at all against each other. In this mode, if I'm slow to progress, it's because I'm slow....not because others are winning advantages via winning competitions I can't win.

The Rune Shard scenario is competitive, and it is detrimental to some players. For example, I'm far ahead of most players on US1; nonetheless, I can't affect the progress of any player....Except, of course, if I wanted to prevent a weaker player from gaining shards. I could team up with three players, spy on the player we want to beat, and use our KP power to prevent him from winning Rune Shards (not entirely, but to the point of debilitating his plans). Since we're bored out of our minds, this could be "fun". But we don't, because that's not Elvenarish. This example is fits Katwijk's parameters of interference with another player.

Last edited by a moderator: