• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

When Fun Becomes A Chore

Jillysilly

It seems like in their quest to make the game more challenging for us near the end - they've lost sight of the fact that it's supposed to be fun. It's a game, not a chore! How many players have to quit before they understand this?! I've lost track of the number of friends I have said goodbye to in the past 3 months! I keep trying to hang in there, but there is no incentive to move forwards through the chapters anymore. I fear I may also be saying goodbye before summer rolls around. How sad that is when I loved this game so much! Why has a fun escape from RL become something I feel the need to escape from? :(

Enevhar Aldarion

According to elvenstats.com your largest cities are only in chapter 7, so you do not know just how challenging some chapters will be. You are not even into Orcs (chapter 8) yet and that is the first really annoying chapter that has gotten many players to quit. All I can say is that if you are ready to quit now, Orcs will kill your interest in the game.

DeletedUser2378

I have two accounts here in Beta and on the US side (though I don't play much over there these days).
If I were to use my other account to make a post then I would look like I'm a beginner, when in reality, I've been playing since mid-2015.
So, it does happen. You can't really know for sure anything about a player based on the name they use on the forum.
They could also use another name on another forum, where they've been playing for much longer.
I had a player private message me on the US forum once randomly giving me advice on how to progress and arrange my town. It gave me quite a laugh. ;)
A lot of long timers from other servers have newer towns here. Best not to judge anyone.

Apologies to the original poster for going off topic with their thoughts.
On topic I'd say burn out happens. I like to play the parts of the game I enjoy. The fellowship aspect is enjoyable for me, alone. I'd miss the members if I chose to leave the game. I skip the activities I don't like and carry on with what I do like. Makes it less stressful and much more enjoyable... but we all get to decide what we want to do, how we want to do it, and for how long. I hope you find enjoyment with the game again. :)

Maillie

According to elvenstats.com your largest cities are only in chapter 7, so you do not know just how challenging some chapters will be.
According to Elvenstats I started nearly 2 years after I actually started ... with a different name. And yes, the last chapter is a double edged sword. If the city is large enough you can get through it, but can't fight. My Beta city hasn't spent much money on expansions since there is never a sale. The Beta city started about a month prior to the live city, but the live city is an entire long row ahead of the Beta city in the tech tree. I've spent most of this chapter in the Beta city trying to figure out what to do with the kp. Get a couple expansions and put down more boats to move ahead in the tech tree? No! Bad idea! Upgrade AW's? No! Another bad idea!

Enevhar Aldarion

According to Elvenstats I started nearly 2 years after I actually started ... with a different name.

Elvenstats does not show anyone starting before Nov of 2017, I think it is, because that is when the website was started and it cannot access any data from before that. So players who started with the game during the first year and a half will not show accurate playing time.

ekarat

According to Elvenstats I started nearly 2 years after I actually started ... with a different name. And yes, the last chapter is a double edged sword. If the city is large enough you can get through it, but can't fight. My Beta city hasn't spent much money on expansions since there is never a sale. The Beta city started about a month prior to the live city, but the live city is an entire long row ahead of the Beta city in the tech tree. I've spent most of this chapter in the Beta city trying to figure out what to do with the kp. Get a couple expansions and put down more boats to move ahead in the tech tree? No! Bad idea! Upgrade AW's? No! Another bad idea!

For the most part, if the AW is worth space in your city, then it is worth upgrading. The increased cost for upgrading AWs is very small - off the top of my head, I believe it was an additive 0.3% / AW level. However, since it's additive, the effective multiplicative increase will be something like half that once you get 333 AW levels. (ie going from x2 to x2.03 is a multiplicative increase of 1.5%, or x2x1.015).

satchmo33

In my two 'live' cities I'm snarled and tangled in the ch15 web and the spider is approaching! Chapters 15, 16, and 17 just aren't worth the angst, trouble, WORK, and city-chewing-up involved. They are Just. Too. Hard. BUT - they're needed in order for your city to progress through upgrading. Catch-22. (which I am just now re-reading for the kazillionth time).

satchmo33

And, if I didn't enjoy my FS so much - I would be on the verge of bagging this game. Inno is LOSING MONEY!!!!

ekarat

In my two 'live' cities I'm snarled and tangled in the ch15 web and the spider is approaching! Chapters 15, 16, and 17 just aren't worth the angst, trouble, WORK, and city-chewing-up involved. They are Just. Too. Hard. BUT - they're needed in order for your city to progress through upgrading. Catch-22. (which I am just now re-reading for the kazillionth time).

Can you be more specific about what the issue is with chapter 15? We might be able to help.

Lovec Krys

Ch15 is worth if you want to have all units 3*, but it takes very large amount of T6 compared to previous chapter to finish and costs crazy amount of orcs for upgrades.
Ch16 forces you to build large part of Settlement and gives negative performance for your Spire/Tourney (increases costs for negotiating and amount of units you need to train to maintain the same score as in ch15) and costs crazy amount of seeds for upgrades.
ch17 forces you to build very large ship Settelemnt and makes PPs only resource saving and destroys your Trader's seed creation capacity, since you need to share it with unurium (for low wonder cities it is actualy better to pernamently switch to unurium and rely on other sources of seeds (especialy from next chapter with T7 & unurium likely in Spire negotiations) and again gives negative performance for your Spire/Tourney and costs crazy amount of mana for upgrades.

Last edited:

CrazyWizard

Ch15 is worth if you want to have all units 3*, but it takes very large amount of T6 compared to previous chapter to finish and costs crazy amount of orcs for upgrades.
Ch16 forces you to build large part of Settlement and gives negative performance for your Spire/Tourney (increases costs for negotiating and amount of units you need to train to maintain the same score as in ch15) and costs crazy amount of seeds for upgrades.
ch17 forces you to build very large ship Settelemnt and makes PPs only resource saving and destroys your Trader's seed creation capacity, since you need to share it with unurium (for low wonder cities it is actualy better to pernamently switch to unurium and rely on other sources of seeds (especialy from next chapter with T7 & unurium likely in Spire negotiations) and again gives negative performance for your Spire/Tourney and costs crazy amount of mana for upgrades.
unurium could be, but T7 hasn't been released yet so will not be asked in the spire.

It's for all spire goods chapter of release +1 before the spire wants it. so T7 possibly in chapter 19

Lovec Krys

@CrazyWizard I know. I should have been more specific about unurium, that near the end and after finishing the chapter 17 (if there is still a delay before ch18), one can switch back to the seeds (in case of low trader's seed production (low wonder levels) probably for the last time).

satchmo33

ekarat: thanks so much for your offer of help. I've finally figured out that, once you're about halfway through 15 you can get rid of alla those "outbuildings" and just go with PPs for the capped goods which are all that's needed for the rest of the way.

Jillysilly

According to elvenstats.com your largest cities are only in chapter 7, so you do not know just how challenging some chapters will be. You are not even into Orcs (chapter 8) yet and that is the first really annoying chapter that has gotten many players to quit. All I can say is that if you are ready to quit now, Orcs will kill your interest in the game.
My primary city is under a different name at the end of chapter 16 in a top ranked fs in Ceravyn!