• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

What is the best way to progress.?

DeletedUser

hi folks

i don't seem to be progressing all that fast (perhaps i'm doing stuff in the wrong order), i'm into my pvp on FoE so have been busy fighting as much as possible. in my city so far i've got the following......

barracks @ lvl 3, squad size is 36
2x armoury @ lvl 3 and 1 @ lvl 2

main hall @ lvl 3

residences x5 @ lvl 3, x7 @ lvl 2
workshops x8 @ lvl 2

and a few culturals keeping me at 170%

can anyone give me any tips as to what should be upgraded next or best way forwards.? :confused:

thanks in advance, akkers :)

DeletedUser108

I can only give you my opinion:
- Don't build any more armories. They are useless if you play often enough. (I actually have no armory at all)
- Don't build much more workshops. I have currently about as much as you do and I am further than you.
- It's enogh if youu keep your culture at 140%, but 170% is great too. But you will not be able to keep that, as your buildings will need more culture as you upgrade them, but your culture buildings will only increase after much time of researching. So don't try to keep that for ever.
- Keep some space for your manufactories. They will also need some working population.

After all you will increase in rank, when you get your manufactories ;)

ThaMartin

I think it depends on your play style very much. Like Spite, I only have 1 armory for example for indeed, when you're online a lot, you don't really need them. There's a constant struggle between workshops for tools, residences for population and cultural buildings so try to keep these in balance as much as possible. I'd suggest about 8 workshops when you just start out.

Furthermore, when it comes to manufacturies: Focus on the ones that produce goods for which you have a boost, but don't neglect the other ones for trading can be a real pain and you don't want to be completely dependent of this! :)

DeletedUser231

Look ahead at the research and plan ahead and anticipate your needs. Look at the market place and see what is being currently offered for trade and see what is being offered then build what you think will be popular. Do not build a certain product if everyone is offering it and no body is accepting it. Build stuff everyone wants and it will get you ahead much faster. TROOPS TROOPS AND economy is the way to go. Get a massive income stream coming in so you can afford bigger and bigger buildings. When buildings are small...build lots, then slowly build them up and delete the small ones to free up population.

This is an economic game of strategy within the space confines of your city. Space is at a premium delibarately and you have to utilize that space most effectively. Just like a store in a shopping mall, everything is about Square meters because cost is a huge factor and space is at a premium. So plan wisely, build smart and always anticipate your future needs.

DeletedUser

thanks for the advice folks, interesting that i'm advised against the armoury thing as my initial thoughts were to build that up as fast as possible.

i've still to unlock the trader tech (that will be tmrw) as i went across the top of the tech tree first as it was military orientated. once i can trade then maybe i'll see some of the interaction i'm hoping for :)

still want to beat up the neighbours every 24 hrs tho (sorry) lol:eek:

DeletedUser315

still want to beat up the neighbours every 24 hrs tho (sorry) lol:eek:

Oh there's plenty of time for that . If you really need some battles im sure there's some back over on FoE .lol .
Welcome to the semi-retired game .

DeletedUser315

Nice to see a new bunch of FoE'rs .
I havnt really look around , do we have many from the en. servers of FoE ? I noticed 1 or 2 , but lots could av changed their names .

DeletedUser

I think a high level barracks is much more important than armories, too, specially when an upgrade gives you an extra slot. Upgrade your armory only until you can have units training most of the time. Besides, there's an armoty upgrade that makes it go from +4 units to +11 or something like that. Back in the begining, I would only build one.

I would recommend not obssesing over your culture bonus. Culture bonus doesn't give you more goods, doesn't increase your troops training, and doesn't increase your population. You can 'abuse' supplies production by setting short cucles if you are often online. I ALMOST would say solving quests gives me more extra coins+supplies than my 140% (170% when aided) culture bonus...

DeletedUser

Nice to see a new bunch of FoE'rs .
I havnt really look around , do we have many from the en. servers of FoE ? I noticed 1 or 2 , but lots could av changed their names .

i've not really seen many, 2 or 3 so far....as you say many may have new names here

I think a high level barracks is much more important than armories, too, specially when an upgrade gives you an extra slot. Upgrade your armory only until you can have units training most of the time. Besides, there's an armoty upgrade that makes it go from +4 units to +11 or something like that. Back in the begining, I would only build one.

I would recommend not obssesing over your culture bonus. Culture bonus doesn't give you more goods, doesn't increase your troops training, and doesn't increase your population. You can 'abuse' supplies production by setting short cucles if you are often online. I ALMOST would say solving quests gives me more extra coins+supplies than my 140% (170% when aided) culture bonus...

i think the armories will have to go due to lack of space. i agree the quests are a main source of coins / supplies

DeletedUser236

I would recommend not obssesing over your culture bonus.

In the beginning you might be able to keep the 200%.. I managed to do this until I reached top 100 (yes I've spent some diamonds on 3 shrines of Enar).. But after that just let it go!
Discover neighbors, upgrade your main hall and get coins from helping neighbors.. Also since population is a problem for me now (just ended tier 2), make sure you have more than enough residences and upgrade them to the max while you have the time and resources.. That makes you have to wait less once you want to build tier 2 goods manufactories :p

I don't think there is just one best way to progress.. Everyone has different playing styles (as you can see above). I noticed I went up like crazy in the ranking when I started discovering more neighbors.. I've discovered 46 now, and if I notice my ranking goes down again (towards 100) I just make sure I fight some new encounters and try to scout more provinces (easier said than done though since the costs go up and fights are harsh on my troops number:eek:)..

I think the best tip I can give you is to follow your instincts.. Make a pretty city with plenty of residences, some workshops and try to focus on your boosted goods.. Fight encounters as long as you have the troops and will, and help neighbors (and hope to receive some help back, and if not do it for the coins (can't have to many of them)).. Let go of wanting high culture if you want to be higher in the rankings (don't think any of the top players have 200% cultur:ewink:)

But all of this is just my opinion and might be totally the wrong advice :cool:

But I do know for sure: if you get a little bored every now and then, visit the forum and talk to us :D

DeletedUser

Morning,
im kind of at the same progress as akkers. With a few other questions.
just finished the basic research line and i now see, that the future research activation costs need alot of goods.
But also the negotiations cost alot of goods right now. i have still a few spots i can fight, but for example the steel relic spots (my boosted good)
r unfightable with my current troops (didnt try it though): swordsmen and archers without any upgrade (see my research ...) vs. knights and mortars

so, save the goods for negotiations or for the research, i know if i dont negotiate i wont get any KP so i wont need to save for the activation cost, but for the future ... is it wise at all to negotiate? it seems at one point i can only advance with negotiations, cause the swordsman uprade is far ahead

also, i have now 2 lvl 3, 2 lvl 2 and 1 lvl 1 steel production side, is it wise to get more of these, cause its the boosted good?
(a few top 100/1000 players in my neighborhood, who seem to need steel)
overall i think, i dont really know how to balance the whole buildings alltogether (started only a few days ago)
i didnt see the whole forum, but i think kind of a guideline would be positive here, like u need in the beginning 10 Houses and 5 workshops, then u can upgrade ur main hall and so on

hmmm, seeing what i wrote right now, i seem to be kind of lost :p

DeletedUser420

1. negotiation is a waste of resources, if you can't win with barbarians and archers, wait for the dogs and their squad upgrade (I do my fighting on autocomplete, but with smart selection of units I only lost 1 fight ever, because my squad was to small to hurt mortars, dogs and archers were a success the second time)
2. it's not possible to tell how much of which production you should have because the stats between tier 1 and tier 2 buildings radically change
- with 22 lvl 5 houses I had almost no surplus of population, but with lvl 6 I got 500 bonus population and with only 18 houses
- with tier 2 goods production you get a boost of 150% (I used to have 4 lvl5 steel, now I have only 2 lvl 7 and I produce almost three times more, but I did manage to find some more relics in the mean time)

the point is, follow the tech tree and upgrade production as you research it and if you can trade for goods even better.

DeletedUser108

Encounters/Getting Knowledge Points:
- Try to fight everything where your losses aren't bigger than 2-3 Squads.
- If you can't fight an encounter without huge losses then look at the negotation costs. Don't negotiate if the costs are way too high.
- If you can't fight an encounter and negotation is too expensive, then wait for your next army-research.
- Buy a few Knowledge Points for gold (not too many, as costs increase)

Goods/How many of what type of Building(?):
- Study your Neighbourhood. If Steel is really rare in your neighbourhood build only Steel. If that's the case, then don't even think about building another resource. You will be able to produce steel about twice as fast and if it's really rare you can trade it at a good ratio too.
- I would suggest to Finish upgrading your Steel factories first.
- Don't forget that the size increases to 2x3 at level 5. Plan ahead ;)

DeletedUser

Thx for the fast replies,
i also tried autofighting quite early, but stopped after a few fights, cause one time i was up with a few sworddancer squads (hadnt researched archer yet) against range units and my sworddancer couldnt reach the range enemies behind a few obstacles so they all died
Ok, didnt try the harder lookin enemy units, but never had that many losses always about 10-20 / 180, so i will try to get them now.
Also, seems that i could be quite lucky with my steel, will have to look further into that.

DeletedUser108

I did just visist your city. When you can build "Spot of Whispering Trees" you will have a lot more space. Because this building gives you 33 culture per tile. That would be an increase of 50% of your current cultural buildings. (Don't go for the Flying Boat as the Whispering Trees stay the best culture building until the Statue of the Sacred Sage). So as you get this you might want to rebuild/reorganize your city and get more space. That way you might be able to build more steel factories. But Still concentrate on getting the stell manufactories on level 5. It's worth it.

DeletedUser

kay, thx for watchin at my city and gettin me personal advice :)
will focus on that now

DeletedUser232

Hi,
...every day on...building...doing research...fighting...upgrading (as possible)...
I'm falling in the Rankings...from 1280 to a sad 3000... :(

DeletedUser118

I think the ranking place should be hidden and only visible when clicking onto it. It kinda keeps you under pressure of not wanting to loose anything. But games like these should be made for having fun not playing with pressure. At least I think so.