• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Tournaments 2.0

• Thread starter DeletedUser1345
  • Start date

DeletedUser1345

I think it would be healthy to have a discussion on tournaments in the long-term. A question has risen up, as to whether a recurrence of the same relic tournament will reset completely, or if it will continue on where it was left off. Both approaches have their up and down sides.
If they start fresh every time, it means I have access to unlimited KP. Before, I was limited to what I could scout, surplus coins to spend, surplus goods that I decided were worth it... Now I can go at it again and again and not have to deal with too many upper level tournaments that would not eat my troops as much.
If they continue, then the upper level tournaments are easier to access each time it reappears. I can reach the higher rewards. I don't have to be available at specific times to reach the higher levels, and the more valuable runes that are offered. It would require me to continue to meet the higher challenges, and at the price of each tournament only giving a set amount of rewards, instead of there being no limit.
Please everyone discuss. The only dumb opinion is the one you keep to yourself.

DeletedUser

Ongoing tournaments wouldn't provide benefit for earlier players, I think. What's the objective of the Tournaments?

KP to build Wonders / progress faster
Relics to boost production so the space required by Wonders will have less negative impact on goods production (necessary)​

Rune Shards aren't a good Tournament objective for early players - it's the most expensive method of obtaining them.

So, in the "ongoing tournament" model, the above objectives aren't met very well. A pre-Dwarven player would have difficulty winning even 2-3 fights at the higher levels, even in the first province. In order to gain "easy" relics / KP, the tournament should reset.

For advanced players (not constrained by work hours), also the "ongoing tournament" is ineffective. Last week, I completed 13 Provinces through Level 6, and 20 to 2-3 level. What would I have to look forward to if I re=opened there? The more distant provinces would only yield Rune shards, so I wouldn't be able to gain KP for my Wonders.

For intermediate players, I can see how an ongoing tournament would be beneficial for 2-3 rounds. Then what? No more progress until much stronger armies were built.

Time constraints are the single most frustrating factor. The tournament opens midday in the US, which mandates:

Opening provinces have to be auto fought during lunch break OR opened on Tuesday night.
If you manage to start during Tuesday lunch, then you can fight every subsequent morning and get to Level 5 by Saturday morning.
If you can't start during Tuesday lunch hours, then you have to play evenings (W-F), which limits you to 4 levels only (without paying).
Any other combination for working players requires rearranging sleep cycles

This is off-the-cuff. Corrections?

DeletedUser1231

Thank you for throwing the discussion spinter because there is actually a reflection to be had on the tournaments.

The tournaments are interesting on several points:
- occupy us with fighting
- The earnings of PK
- The earnings of relics boosted
- the earnings of relics no boosted
- the earnings of runes

On the French world I am for the era 5 and the tournaments such as they are suit me perfectly for these 5 points (except that to fight because I play without barracks but that it is my personal choice)

On the other hand on the béta I shall be in 15 days at the most of the possible boost of production with the relics (700 %) for my 3 goods boosted.

In this case the tournaments lose many of their interest, thus I shall continue to win relics boosted to go up my AW to the level 15 or more but I win 240 at every tournament in one step I shall have enough to go up my AW to the level 20 and then I have no more interest in make the tournaments for that.
To win relics no boosted? I win 70 at every tournament more those won on the card, I do not arrive at all the used with my academy, thus it is not for that that I shall continue to make the tournaments
To gain runes? It is enough to make the first 4 provinces of the tournaments for the level 4 to gain all the possible runes (I consider good on step runes gained at the level 6 which are inaccessible for the most part of the players).

The only reason which is going to stay in me to motivate to make the tournaments thus is to gain PK.I am not on that the interest is sufficient to urge the players to make the tournaments only for that ( Even if the earnings of PK are really interesting)

It remains good on the earnings of points of classification but as only the first 50 places are interesting and that quickly will have us hundreds of players in my case it will not be a reason which will urge the players to make the tournaments.

The proposal of spinter is can be a track, take back the tournament or we let him the last time and continue, and when we finished all the levels 6 of all the possible sectors that we discovered we can receive a present exceptional as diamonds (I e can dream), points of ranking or PK in proportion to the number of ended provinces or any other kind of present.

Otherwise the other solution shall be to find another utility in the relics boosted what shall tempt us to continue to make the tournaments.

At the moment enough few people are for the rates maximal of boost but I think that in the coming months there will be more and more and if made nothing less and less players will make the tournaments.

DeletedUser1345

16 hours between tournament levels, with five levels takes up 80 hours out of the 96 hours the tournament lasts. If I want to get That last level which awards a rune. I can occasionally schedule my time so I can reach the last level on maybe 10 tournaments. I managed that in one, of the last 8 tournaments. In half of the tournaments I did not reach level six an any tournaments. If the tournaments are not reset, I would probably reach level six on most, if not all tournaments, after 3 tournaments of the same kind, if schedule allows. 4 or more is more realistic. Even if reached in three, and all tournaments are completed, that still leaves 36 weeks to scout more provinces. If scouting time is not improved by that time, I would still be able to scout maybe 60 provinces. I limit would be reached, but instead of most tournaments of me not being able to reach level six, and a rune. If they repeat, that repeats. Level six can't be reached. I would rather that I be able to get a rune from each province eventually, even if I get only one from each province. That averages out ( for me ) at 33 tournaments, and eventually, 33 extra runes. Instead of getting zero on most occasions.
Then there is the matter of the checkpoints, I am assuming they reset as well. That would be terrible. How would the last checkpoint ever be reached. It would take several players reaching the end for it to be unlocked. Simply put, I don't see that ever happening. I would like for players, just unlocking the tournament to be able to get an advantage from my having been there before. Hopefully being able to win just one fight giving them some relics, may encourage them to take part in the tournaments.
If the tournaments can't be reset, some other change will need to be made.
Extend the tournaments - Instead of four days of not being able to do enough, and three days of too little to do, keep the tournaments going all week, to allow players to decide their own pace.
Or, when the tournaments starts, have a grace period. A 24 hour period to begin the tournament, and have it end exactly four days, not from an arbitrary time, but from when you enter the first tournament.
Another thing, would be to stagger the start of the tournaments for different servers. Beta, and the US1 server have their tournaments running at the same time. There are many of us in Beta, that have a city somewhere else. Overlap can't be avoided, but the most crucial times during the tournaments seem to be the first and last days. A little breathing room would be nice.

DeletedUser1345

OK, with the tournaments resetting maybe, the checkpoints don't have to. Otherwise they are a cruel joke. I can get to the highest level in tournaments closest to my city if I sacrifice time, which I won't do every week, or maybe ever again. Even in US server where I have a lot of neighbors, it requires several players finishing the sixth tournament, in the same location. It will not happen.
Also, while it does get a little dull, each level being the same eight encounters, level three in this tournament is all 8 fights being against the same opponents. Axe barbarian, storm barbarian, sorceress, and 2 sorc II. Or Axe Barbarian II, treant, 2 paladins, and a sorc II. All 8 encounters of the same tournament being identical. It is mind-numbing activity.

DeletedUser651

it requires several players finishing the sixth tournament, in the same location. It will not happen.

It sure won't happen. Ever. And fyi...it won't take several players finishing the 6th level....it take SEVEN. The devs are so out of touch with this game.

DeletedUser1548

It sure won't happen. Ever. And fyi...it won't take several players finishing the 6th level....it take SEVEN.
True. Sometimes I'd like to help my neighbour in the province he/she actively plays but I don't as it is too far = too expensive... It's a serious flaw that cooperation has a chance to work only within the closest circles from a player's city. Not on entire revealed part of the 'world'.

DeletedUser651

For that reward to actually be reachable, then you should get runes if you ever make it to the third checkpoint.

DeletedUser1345

There does seem to be an imbalance. The reward for the fifth tournament level is six runes, no KP. I finished the first four. Level four in the 5th tournament gives six runes and six KP. When the tournament is for a non-boosted relic, I take part for the KP. Is this an attempt to make thing right, getting to the fifth level is not easy to attain, so the rewards are made less. Those who can't reach it, don't miss much.

DeletedUser1231

I completely agree to spinter.
In more I shall like that we tell me what is the interest e to make the level 5 of the tournaments when we are at the most boost and when we already have a very important number of relics for his academy.
The last 2 interests of the tournaments are now the PK and the points for the general classification. To win points the level 5 is actually interesting but to win PK it is necessary to make the tournaments beyond the province 8 and Seen the cost in units of fights (I do not even speak about the cost in the goods which is enormous) I does not even know if it is still interesting to make the tournaments for the level 5