• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

Lovec Krys

And many players have 16hrs between rounds (no Timewarp and no Polar Bear) and if they work shifts with no internet access during working hours, they might have even less than 5 rounds.

edeba

New difficulties
Most of the old tournament is played at difficulty below 145% and lots of players do not play the 160% level 6 past the first 9 provinces. At difficulty of 145% with half a dozen military boosts down it is easy to lose 20% of your squads on auto. But with the old tournament, 80% of what you play is easier than 145%.

They put everything easy where troops are tiny and if you did lose, it is so small you don't notice it. 20% of the easy in what people mostly play in the old tournament is level 1 (level 6 mostly not played), and 85% difficulty. Another 20% is level 2 and at 100% difficulty.

With the old tournament most of the losses were on level 5, which was only 20% of where you used your troops. Already at province 18 with the 145% difficulty, and maybe it is province 16 that averages 145% difficulty, you would expect 5 times the losses because every level is in the 140-150ish difficulty range. And then the troop size is bigger than if you took 4 times the troop size of the old tournament which has 4 encounters per province.

The steepness of the curve is pretty much the same, expect it is pushed down 1 or 2 provinces. This new tournament is cutting down the ability to do about 40 provinces, so giving back 2-5% isn't cutting it.

And many players have 16hrs between rounds (no Timewarp and no Polar Bear) and if they work shifts with no internet access during working hours, they might have even less than 5 rounds.
It was hard getting six levels in. Tournament could be over 5 days like the spire. With these changes to the tournament getting the higher levels in is way more important. We have 4 days and 3 hours for the tournament. Even 4.5 days could make a difference for these players without a timewarp or polarbear.

edeba

Those who are at the point where they need to decide either to take useless 6* or more provinces to 5* are already contributing more then average needed for 10 chests. That has nothing to do with selfishness, just optimal resource usage... same as it was way more profitable to add a bunch of provinces up to 2* instead of gathering more stars in old tourney version. Which now transformed into getting only 2-3 more provinces up to 2*, making a lot of players to spend their resources in not optimal way they used to in old mechanics until they understand this nuance.
Well said. I took about 15 of those useless 6* provinces last tournament. I don't consider the first 9 useless... I think it is cheaper to do the province 10-15 then adding provinces that you cater when you are already out about 25 provinces. But doing level 6 out to about province 25ish is expensive and like you said, wasteful of resources, especially when a FS has provinces not taken that are a gift from Inno. Getting to 1600 pts is pretty easy now.

galrond

Well said. I took about 15 of those useless 6* provinces last tournament. I don't consider the first 9 useless... I think it is cheaper to do the province 10-15 then adding provinces that you cater when you are already out about 25 provinces. But doing level 6 out to about province 25ish is expensive and like you said, wasteful of resources, especially when a FS has provinces not taken that are a gift from Inno. Getting to 1600 pts is pretty easy now.
You say "useless 6* provinces". What do they give?
Mind you I don´t disagree, that the gain is not worth the effort.
I can´t. I don´t know what they give :D

Karvest

5 relics + 1rune + 1rune shard. not worth taking unless you are very low on that relics and/or is filling the runes of some AW at that moment.

Pauly7

5 relics + 1rune + 1rune shard. not worth taking unless you are very low on that relics and/or is filling the runes of some AW at that moment.
Ironically the time it would be really useful to have the 6* 10+ province rewards is in the early chapters when it would be really tough to get many (if any) of those encounters won.

slide

Tournaments used to be fun, gave a bit of a buzz to see how far I could get, but now I'll just do 20 provinces because the troop loss isn't worth trying for more. I'm fast losing the will to live... I've been playing Elvenar since the beginning when it was a city building game where nobody would come in and rob it of all resources and/or troops. Now its become something which is driven by other factors entirely while the city is just full of things I would rather not have. The demand for kp in chapters is so high that tournaments are needed to help, but they're just boring.

Thanks Inno, you've ruined my game and my time to finish this charade is coming ever closer.

Aeva

What is preventing you or anybody else from playing the way you like @slide ? You do not have to go for ranking or top 100 in tournament or the biggest city ever... Why would a tournament not be fun anymore? You still can achieve 10 chests, most FS would have less trouble getting those. You only have to adjust your goals.

slide

What is preventing you or anybody else from playing the way you like @slide ? You do not have to go for ranking or top 100 in tournament or the biggest city ever... Why would a tournament not be fun anymore? You still can achieve 10 chests, most FS would have less trouble getting those. You only have to adjust your goals.
We get 10+ chests every week in the tournament anyway, I just don't find it interesting any more, I also have 2 cities on EN, so its not as if I get the pleasure of doing some old tournaments as servers other than EN still do. I liked the tournaments as they were, I wasn't a top scorer, I don't care about ranking in tournaments or game, I did enough to serve my needs but it was fun, some would call it mindless clicking but I wasn't bothered by that, now its just 20 provinces each week.

edeba

We get 10+ chests every week in the tournament anyway, I just don't find it interesting any more, I also have 2 cities on EN, so its not as if I get the pleasure of doing some old tournaments as servers other than EN still do. I liked the tournaments as they were, I wasn't a top scorer, I don't care about ranking in tournaments or game, I did enough to serve my needs but it was fun, some would call it mindless clicking but I wasn't bothered by that, now its just 20 provinces each week.
The only thing I like about the new tournament is the 4->1 encounters for each province. If disengaging players was a goal, they've been marvelously successful. I am bothered by the mindless clicking. I am bothered by the utter slaughter to a part of the game I've engaged in for 4 years now, from the original tournament that didn't catch on so well and the design of the 4-click version hooked players and this new design just slaughters the goodwill towards the tournament.

Deleted User - 89508

It seems to ME... -(whether you have a goal to do 20 provinces, or to Finish all available battles)- such goals are the enemy of "Interesting". Yes, completing a goal would usually/often provide some satisfaction -(and would be interesting)...

BUT, having such a goal makes the goal your focus, (=not "Playing").
I remember fondly, the days when my Tournament was much more Limited. I could sit down "anytime", and fight a few more L1, (if they were interesting)- or get some L-2, or L3 on "middle" provinces- or work on L5 for earlier provinces. The tournament was Always Interesting... (because if it wasnt, I wouldnt be sitting there Playing!).

I'd play more... score more... enjoy it more, if i sat down Only because i wanted to "give it a try".... not because the clock told me i needed to.

For me, That's actually the Biggest (Only?) Upside for tournament changes. If "Finishing a goal" is no longer a Repeatable option, I may once again be able to sit down and fight some battles- whenever i feel like it- Just to see how it turns out.

Richord

6th=many points. sometimes worth it for top 100 position.
haven't fought higher up yet, will try to do this week and give feedback.

Aeva

Well... seems we are done testing. New tournament is just announced on live worlds for next week marble.

Deleted User - 81190

LOL, anyone who expected anything else either hasn't been around, or just ignored all previous history. Just as anticipated, there were some offsetting (expansions vs research) and cosmetic (enemy factor ramp up) changes - "based on feedback". Then it went in pretty much as is.

Typical.

FieryArien

I’m glad they announced it now and not a week ago. It’s only been less than a week since I gave up my hopes in deep system changes. (Yes, I was that naive, MinMax Gamer.) My German city celebrates the last old tournament by grabbing the 6 KPs in the full 5th round (not that I was doing it except for the steel tournament, but this time it felt like a fitting farewell).