• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Duplicate [New Feature] Facades

DeletedUser1767

I've been thinking about the question of what other things could be given to players to do, particularly more advanced players with lots of long wait times. I was trying to think of things that would not require space, and that would utilise coins, since there are only three things you can really do with coins other than build and unlock, and two of them (scouting expensive provinces and buying unboosted goods from the wholesaler) the devs clearly want to limit. It occurred to me that someone -- I think it was Bobbykitty? -- had a neat idea about custom building appearances, and I thought maybe that could become a thing advanced players can do.

The idea I had would work something like this. You'd have a tech that teaches your builders the new skill of painting (or something like that). Once you unlock that, you'd have access to a few alternate appearances (facades) available for your non-unique buildings at each level (maybe located in a new tab on the building's page alongside the Upgrade tab). Not too many facades for each level and type, but at least three or four. After you've upgraded a building, you can decide to "paint" it by going to the Facade tab and picking the one you want, and one of your available builders can then spend an hour or two "painting" it. Painting a facade would cost a decent chunk of coins, representative of the level of the building.

The facades available at the same level would be stylistically very similar to each other, possibly even just different colours. The devs clearly want each chapter to have a consistent aesthetic, and this idea wouldn't be about circumventing that, just giving it a bit more variety. So for instance, the level 19 Fairy residences are purple now; they'd stay purple by default when you first build them, but maybe you'd also have the option to make them other colours in the Fairy palette like pink, orange, yellow, Pond-of-Rec blue, or white. And you could re-paint the building whenever you wanted to.

I was thinking this would apply mainly to the buildings produced in large numbers: residences, workshops, armories. For factories, you might have alternate choices too, but fewer of them. Or maybe (I kind of like this idea for some reason) you would have one alternate facade available for your boosted factories, but not for your non-boosted factories. There wouldn't be other facades for buildings you can only have one of.

Advantages to this idea: it gives us some creative freedom in what our buildings look like, which is always fun (and which we currently don't have much of), and will make our cities look more individual. It would also eliminate the problem some of us have with liking buildings individually but finding them overwhelming en masse (residences especially), since we could use multiple different facades at the same time. And it gives us more to do, specifically more things we can do with our coins and our builders when we're out of things to build, without taking up any additional grid space.

Disadvantages to this idea: the game's artists would have a lot of work to do. But maybe that would be minimised by having the facades be variations on the default designs rather than completely radically different at each stage, so that only subtle modifications (possibly even just colour choices in some cases) would be needed?

Marindor

This idea has already been brought up in the form of extra styles/themes in exchange for diamonds, so we will have to archive it now as a duplicate :)