• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Won't fix Game Freeze in Chrome

DeletedUser1075

Game version: v1.33-(f8fc77905) (2017-06-21 11:21)
Game world: Beta
Browser + version: Version 59.0.3071.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Flash Player version: 26.0.0.131
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Screen resolution: 2736 x 1824
Account name: Grace
Humans or Elves: Elves

Reproducibility: 5/5
(1/5 = happened once; 2/5 = happens randomly; 3/5 = happens sometimes; 4/5 = happens often, but not always; 5/5 = happens always)

Quest title: N/A

Current situation:
Consistently, after a few minutes of inactivity (e.g. while waiting for production to complete) the game will freeze. The touchscreen will no longer work and mouse clicks will no longer register. The game will need to be rebooted in order to function. A browser reboot has not been required so far. This is only happening on beta and not happening on US3 (where I play under another account in the same browser). This is a recent change (last two days or so). To be clear, this isn't about a timeout after inactivity as it is often less than 5 minutes after my last click or move and the inactivity stuff works differently anyway. It may be triggered by the production or building completion? Not sure.

Expected situation:
No game freeze.

Reproduction Steps
1. Play game
2. Wait for a while (not sure how long, but under 5 minutes) for a production to complete or building to upgrade
3. Go back to game tab
4. Try to move around screen with touchscreen or click something - no reaction
5. Reload game from URL bar.
6. Game reloads without asking for login again, and works as expected.

DeletedUser

I'm having the same issue, started after I upgraded to Chrome 59.x (last week or so).

DeletedUser1075

I'm having the same issue, started after I upgraded to Chrome 59.x (last week or so).

Glad it's not just me. Jasper, have you tried changing your flash settings to not "ask first"? I just did that and it (fingers crossed) seems like it might be working. Vague directions here on accessing the flash setting in Chrome: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-chrome.html

Here's a visual of how I toggled my settings for flash specifically within Chrome. I had "ask first" on when I was having issues, now I have it off. I am still waiting to see if the issue happens again. Worth a try, as it may be as simple as Chrome requiring a reauth of the flash request and the game not providing this.

flash.jpg

DeletedUser1075

I should add... this really shouldn't work if it is just the Chrome change, because it is NOT happening on US3 server and it is happening on Beta, so wouldn't that mean it is a Beta issue and not a Chrome issue?

DeletedUser283

same issue with vivaldi (based on chromium code, so lots in common with chrome), since last game update and newer flash plugin 26.0.0.131
I have a tab with the game and another one with the forum, and when spending some time on the forum, the game is frozen (no response to clicks, KP timer not counting down) when I come back;
it may return to normal by itself but most of the time I have to reload the game;
I know that flash is extremely touchy and really wants to run in the foreground but this is ridiculous ...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I should add... this really shouldn't work if it is just the Chrome change, because it is NOT happening on US3 server and it is happening on Beta, so wouldn't that mean it is a Beta issue and not a Chrome issue?
I have it both on Beta and on NL1, so I still think it is a Flash/Chrome issue.

I have added an exception to allow Flash to run for [*.]elvenar.com, that's somewhat safer then to turn off Ask first. :eek:
Let see if that helps, thx for the link. :D -> Edit: didn't help, still freezes. :(
Edit2: Turning off Ask first didn't help either. :(

DeletedUser1163

I've come to the conclusion this game is not compatible with Edge. I've switched from Microsoft Edge as my browser to Opera and the game is running so fast. Once in a while I will see a Flashplayer plugin error message but overall, Elvenar and FOE are running a lot smoother with no more hiccups. Now if only the events and battle system could be improved that would make me a happy elf again.

DeletedUser283

I am afraid that both IE and edge are too much microsoft to be properly running flash ;)

now I noticed something more : as soon as I go to the forum tab and open a topic, the game is frozen when I return to its tab;
I have observed earlier that sometimes when the flash plugin crashes in-game, there is a "flash plugin as crashed" notification on the game (that"s ok) and the same notification may appear on the forum tab as well;
it has not happened for a while, but I distinctly remember that it did happen when there was the snow animation on the forum page, which was obvious flash-based eye-candy :p
from my point of view, a forum is not a site to run flash, a forum must be lean and light, and not clutterd with flash code; after all, this is mostly a set of rich-text format pages;
It all came back to my mind when I just found out that it never (never) happens when I open a tab to the wiki, go to it and back to the game;
only with the forum tab ...

DeletedUser1075

Ugh, shutting off "ask" didn't work. I am now frozen in beta, but still haven't ever frozen in US3.

What's up with Beta? How can this be fixed? Why haven't the mods weighed in here?

EDIT: Yup, froze in US3. So it is everywhere now. Okay mods, can we get this info to the devs???

DeletedUser118

I have to say, Edge is still an advantage to Firefox. I played with FF since the beginning and you could clearly notice how slow everything got over the years. But not only that. The quality of playing went down. First I had to switch to lower graphics, else the game wouldn't run smoothly anymore. Then I had a crashing flash player message everytime I enter the game (though it goes away after a few moments, but its there between point 10 and 11 each and every day). Now after another update I couldn't play Elvenar at all. No matter how low you set the graphics, all you got is an over and over crashing game as well with nothing running smoothly nor enjoyable anymore but like I was playing on an old Atari machine.

Though one thing still bothers me with Edge. Its not really that I still get the crashing FP at 10 to 11 but every time the game asks me to reload to have it running smoothly again. I have to do it two times. Why? I have no idea. If I only do it one time, all I get is the except same slow game that drove me out from using FF.

Is it just me or is this whole flash player game developement become pure bullshit? Its so damn annoying to deal with each and every day...

DeletedUser1075

DeletedUser1163

I have to say, Edge is still an advantage to Firefox. I played with FF since the beginning and you could clearly notice how slow everything got over the years. But not only that. The quality of playing went down. First I had to switch to lower graphics, else the game wouldn't run smoothly anymore. Then I had a crashing flash player message everytime I enter the game (though it goes away after a few moments, but its there between point 10 and 11 each and every day). Now after another update I couldn't play Elvenar at all. No matter how low you set the graphics, all you got is an over and over crashing game as well with nothing running smoothly nor enjoyable anymore but like I was playing on an old Atari machine.

Though one thing still bothers me with Edge. Its not really that I still get the crashing FP at 10 to 11 but every time the game asks me to reload to have it running smoothly again. I have to do it two times. Why? I have no idea. If I only do it one time, all I get is the except same slow game that drove me out from using FF.

Is it just me or is this whole flash player game developement become pure bullshit? Its so damn annoying to deal with each and every day...

I tried almost every browser until I found Opera works much better. At least now I can type messages on the message boards. I started looking for another browser when I couldn't type messages without first copying them from a word doc and pasting them to the message board. Also some units like the Banshee and Dryad were not displaying on the battlefield. Even with Opera as my browser now, those two units still do not appear unless I Enable Hardware Acceleration in the Settings. Must remember to disable this setting or the game will start freezing. Did you know when you Enable Hardware Acceleration in one of Inno's game, it links to all Inno's games? I found this out when I logged in to Forge of Empires. The game was freezing until I looked in the settings and found Hardware Acceleration was enabled. When I disabled it, the game ran better. Support still can't explain to me why the only units that don't display are the Banshee and Dryad, unless I have this setting turned on.

I am going to take my computer in for a checkup because I've noticed after the last Microsoft Edge update, there are multiple versions of Microsoft Edge running in Task Manager, which is using up a huge amount of memory. Whatever browser I decide to use, I am currently seeing all these multiple versions of the browser in Task Manager. I think it was the Edge update that caused this problem. I'll back up all my documents and save my favorites to an external HD before I reset Edge. But I have a feeling that won't fix the problem.

DeletedUser1771

I'm running on earlier version of Chrome and don't have any problems. You and Jasper have version 59. and I suppose that your problem is connected with Chrome update which might not be in love with the newest version of flash.

Does anyone else have this problem in Chrome v 59.?

I'm not Chrome lover, but always have more than one browser available for use, cause of flash problems in recent years. You never now how it will work on new versions of browsers. I don't use Edge at all.
We will notify devs about this issue, but in most cases similar to this one (browser related issue) the answer is 'won't fix'. Flash will update, then Chrome again, then other browser and so on.

Could you, please, try all possible settings (high/low/medium) and tell us is that help at all? And use another browser until this issue gets resolved?

Believe me, I'm experiencing freezing problems all the time, cause of my slow internet connection, especially at evening/night time. It freezes everything, so I have to restart computer many times. Sometimes I have to give up and shut it down. Life is hard :D, but I always find a way. Yesterday we had storm and I didn't have internet almost all day. So I did other things, life is life and game is game. :)

DeletedUser1163

I'm running on earlier version of Chrome and don't have any problems. You and Jasper have version 59. and I suppose that your problem is connected with Chrome update which might not be in love with the newest version of flash.

Does anyone else have this problem in Chrome v 59.?

I'm not Chrome lover, but always have more than one browser available for use, cause of flash problems in recent years. You never now how it will work on new versions of browsers. I don't use Edge at all.
We will notify devs about this issue, but in most cases similar to this one (browser related issue) the answer is 'won't fix'. Flash will update, then Chrome again, then other browser and so on.

Could you, please, try all possible settings (high/low/medium) and tell us is that help at all? And use another browser until this issue gets resolved?

Believe me, I'm experiencing freezing problems all the time, cause of my slow internet connection, especially at evening/night time. It freezes everything, so I have to restart computer many times. Sometimes I have to give up and shut it down. Life is hard :D, but I always find a way. Yesterday we had storm and I didn't have internet almost all day. So I did other things, life is life and game is game. :)

Thank you Tajanstvena for making me aware of this problem with the Flashplayer. Elvenar is running so fast since I switched to Opera. The only problem I have is with the Banshee and Dryad not displaying on the battlefield. But if I enable Hardware Acceleration in the Settings, I can see these two units. I've experimented by trying the different settings (high/low/medium). The display problem still exists no matter what setting I choose. Only turning on Hardware Acceleration am I able to see all my troops on the battlefield. Found out if you want to see your citizens walking around, Settings need to be on High.

DeletedUser1075

Tajanstvena, I appreciate you looking into this. Chrome auto-updates so I don't have any control over that. I have multiple browsers available to me and I have switched in the past. They work for a while and then the game breaks something and they don't again.

I cannot run the game with graphics fully loaded as I can't do neighborly help that way. Load times are too long, if they load at all.

I guess we're waiting on the next Chrome/Flash update.

Dony

King of Bugs
Now after another update I couldn't play Elvenar at all. No matter how low you set the graphics, all you got is an over and over crashing game as well with nothing running smoothly nor enjoyable anymore but like I was playing on an old Atari machine
do you have nvidia graphic card and last drivers? because that could be the case (its my case tho as i made thread about that drivers awhile back)

DeletedUser118

do you have nvidia graphic card and last drivers? because that could be the case (its my case tho as i made thread about that drivers awhile back)

Yes I do in both cases.

Dony

King of Bugs
old 378.92 (or lower) drivers fixes it if for some reason you want to come back to use firefox

DeletedUser1771

Unfortunately Grace, you will have to wait for next Chrome/flash update. The answer came from above and as I thought it is 'won't fix'.

DeletedUser

Try this as a workaround: don't use multiple tabs with Elvenar open when running Chrome, instead run each tab in it's own window of Chrome (start Chrome multiple times).