• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Ents question

DeletedUser209

I finally researched these big tree guys, but when I went to recruit them I could only train 1 ent per training slot. I couldn't increase it. How can I train more?

DeletedUser

It is painfully slow HGC. With 1 size 8 armoury I can build 2 at a time.
And thanks Hoshi, I never knew what size meant.

DeletedUser58

Do beware of the Ents though, they're tricky for using in battle because they're slow (they can only move 2 hexes which is the smallest movement I've seen so far) and they have a very low initiative (this means they take a turn later on, sometimes even after enemy units; but it also means that they're not on the enemy's "priority" list so for example if you have Archers and Ents the enemy will first try to hit your archers, and will only go after the Ents if it can't reach the Archers or if they've already defeated your Archers).

They're useful for getting rid of other melee units but they're still tricky to use. You'll try them yourself but so far I'm still mostly using Sword Dancers + Archers and rarely include Ents in that mix (only when the enemy units and the terrain work for a tactic with Ents).

DeletedUser

I've been using 1 unit of Ents, but most commonly when fighting similar enemies or when the terrain allows me to block access to my archers with the Ents. But yea, overall their slow speed makes them pretty useless.

DeletedUser503

Wow, I am disappointed to hear that Ents are so cumbersome to use. I have not
researched them yet, but I was looking forward to some real damage dealing
critters, as I am getting into some powerful foes in provinces. Thanks for the info,
it is much appreciated. I feel forewarned and will be wary now with using Ents.

DeletedUser

Just look at them as tanks. They're slow, but can take hits that would normally whipe out your other units instantly.

DeletedUser118

If the battleground allows it you can use them as shields against meele fighters. For example if there's only a small path inbetween two walls where the enemy has to get through to fight you, you can position an Ent at that point to make it almost impossible for the bandits to get through there.

But beware, if the enemy has archers they might use it against your Ent and these units sure can harm you tree fellow.

DeletedUser236

I just got my first Ents and since I have them I can actually win some fights with losing less than a stack (<60).. I just use them as blockers and they hit really hard (if you hit the right enemy though).. I've lost 3 Ents so far, so that's far better doable than losing 2/3 stacks at a battle.. I don't use them all the time though, it depends on the playing field (it's no use to try to chase the enemy around the field with only 2 steps at a time)..

TLDR; they are great blockers and hit hard :p

DeletedUser58

If you're going versus melee units or you're on a battlefield with terrain that allows you to use the Ents to block others from reaching the rest of your units, they're fantastic. But if the enemy has archers and the terrain is plain, most of the time they'll do you more harm than good. Their main issue is their initiative, so any other unit you have will be attacked before the Ents are attacked.

I've been using one of the following 4 combinations this past week (the number means squid, the roman numerals mean upgraded unit):
- 1 Sword Dancers II, 4 Archers II
- 2 Sword Dancers II, 3 Archers II
- 1 Sword Dancers II, 1 Ent, 3 Archers II
- 2 Sword Dancers II, 1 Ent, 2 Archers II

My squad size is 72 at the moment, and with those combinations I've had very little trouble and loss.

DeletedUser

Versus melee units Ents are really good, that's true. I even use 5 Ent-squads (60 squad size) for every crystal encounter in the 5th ring (crystal=war dogs and orcs). If you can block a way you can fight the enemy one by one. Sometimes zero losses if lucky :p

DeletedUser58

If you can block a way you can fight the enemy one by one.
That's when I think they're the most useful. Well, that and versus Cerberus/War Dogs, as the dogs come first and come 1 hex away from my Ents, which then kindly bash the dogs in the ground. :D

DeletedUser118

Most of the times my Dancers II have already taken care of the dogs before the Ents can even make a first move. ^^

DeletedUser

Most of the times my Dancers II have already taken care of the dogs before the Ents can even make a first move. ^^
Thats true. But if you face a 3 stacks with 2x106 orcs and 106 wardogs 5x5 Ents do a better job than 5x60 dancers II which are slaughtered by r´the orcs with one hit;)
It's all a matter of squad size. And when you are outnumbered, the ents can take way more hits than Dancers II

DeletedUser

I've recently encountered a number of provinces with large number of ranged units (mortars and bandits) where Ents are totally useless and Sword Dancers die in 1 hit .. not a fun situation

DeletedUser118

Thats true. But if you face a 3 stacks with 2x106 orcs and 106 wardogs 5x5 Ents do a better job than 5x60 dancers II which are slaughtered by r´the orcs with one hit;)
It's all a matter of squad size. And when you are outnumbered, the ents can take way more hits than Dancers II

Units of Orcs and Dogs I usually fight with 3 Dancers and 2 Archers. While the Dancers take care of the Dogs, the Archers can already shoot at the Orcs, reducing the size so they won't hurt the Dancers that much after reaching them. My stack size is 72 btw.