• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Do you want to build a magic academy?

DeletedUser1573

Nope. I wish I hadn't built a magic academy. I built one right away and prepared spells to hopefully use once the fairies arrived. They have arrived and I have yet to need a spell. Now I have an unused building and I can't even tear it down to build something I would actually use. My game play just doesn't work with it in its current state. I have over 3 mil. in goods so don't need any more. Got enough culture built already. Could use more supplies but the spell works on only one building and to get the most out of it I would have to spend all day collecting from short production, and that just isn't going to happen. Maybe if one spell worked on all supply buildings I might change my mind but it doesn't work that way which makes me not like it.

DeletedUser651

The consensus is clear. Space is at such a premium that the magic academy isn't worth the space to many players.

Instead of giving us a new gaming option, by making the academy non deletable and the quest non declinable, players are harmed. Some of us will be harmed by this taking one line of quests taken away from us (since we will refuse to build it). Some of us who have built one are harmed because we have full expansion less than others when it comes to scoring and playing the game in general. (Putting them at a severe handicap).

Muf-muf....would you please talk to the devs about changing this? 1. Make the quest declinable, and 2. make the building deletable....or let us build it off screen. If things change in the future, then we will build it in the future. Or not. It doesn't improve the game to add a "feature" to the game that the players view as harmful.

This is a perfect example of the major reason we see this game as PvD. Players vs. devs. @Goryn and @Muf-Muf, here is a chance to change things. Show the players that the devs do care what we think. Let us HELP you make this game better.

Let me be clear....I am not saying get rid of the building. I am only saying give us an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser118

Let me be clear....I am not saying get rid of the building. I am only saying give us an option.

Actually why not? Wouldn't it be enough to research the technology to be able to use spells as we do right now? Why does it need an extra building on the map? I would take it out cuz researching the technology is all that's actually needed. Same goes for the trader btw. But that's a different story.

DeletedUser

The concept of Spells is a good one, and is likely to get better. It's just the space problem...

...beginning with the Wonders and now the Academy, we're facing these enormous buildings. We feel this negatively because:

the buildings offer no score and

it pressures non-payers who don't have expansions.

Surely there is a better way for Elvenar to keep its testers and target markets enthusiastic.

DeletedUser283

not only did I have to use one full expansion to build a disputable Magic Academy, but the game refuses to grant me expansion N° 28 !
what is it you guys want ? bad words ? i have them all ready yet :p

DeletedUser

First of all... If this is Beta Server, its purpose is to testing incoming updates. That is why this should be server, where buying Diamonds should be off, or on only for testing purposes. Diamonds should be given in many situations and every X weeks server should be reseted. People should then get various number of Diamonds and build cities from scratch with help of given diamonds. This way all eras would be covered and in fact only active testers/cities will be on map. Only people interested in tests would be playing here. Problem with inactivity would be solved and many current problems could be invalid. But for now this is not that case. Beta server is simply regular server with earlier upgrades of game, not fully tested, and without any warranty. Calling this Beta is rather funny :) As a developer I know how much unstable typical beta server is and how often your progress can be blow up, because devlead decided that all accounts should start from scratch ;)

DeletedUser762

I have build it and it's Ok, you got some quests associated with that, and why not? you guys gill in your city with some absolutely not needed 5 of same manufacturies , what for? and also non productive ones. what for? for the ranking? i got 100 k goods of each, more than enough, and plenty of space. The city is running and no shortage of anything. The academy, ok i don't always use it, but good to have for the variety, it is good for the people that start the game. this is why it is somewhere in the beginning of it. When people are really desperate for the goods etc it's great. Don't forget, we are testig the game and we started way earlier than a lot of people.

DeletedUser651

what for? for the ranking?

Yes. I hope you aren't saying there is anything wrong playing for ranking. It is fun and exciting and adds a great deal of thrill to the game for some of us. Ranking is also exciting for some fellowships. Ours has a party when we gain rank. It is FUN! :)
Other players announce when they have moved up another spot!! Yay!!!!

Katz came up with the perfect solution: Keep the tech, remove the need for the building.

btw...even brand new players are harmed by this building. They are stuck with a huge building, huge! They could build two or three workshops or factories in the space. Try wasting a spell on a tiny little early production. Any fellowship they are in is also harmed because those folks will be stopped from progressing faster.

But I am not against anyone building things that aren't strategic. I am only against taking choice away from them. If the tech is opened up but no building used, then everyone wins!!!

How hard could it be? Half my fellowship is missing buildings in their city right now! ;)

DeletedUser762

Well i don't know, my city runs on an optimal break even capacity. I don't have a shortage of anything. including 170% of max production. I don't need any visits from the hood or fellows for it. and this is the way I like it. Therefore I am opened to any innovations and experiments that inno brings to us.I actually used the spell first time today because of the task, I don't need it. But i still think that some people may need, I remember many complaints here, how we don't get enough tools or enough quests for tools etc... This was at the stage when we needed loads for the research, loads of people did nothing but moaned about it. so now they have this extra support, try to think back...

DeletedUser651

I am not asking to remove the tech. I am merely suggesting that the building not take up space and if it has to be there, then it is optional. That way, every other player on this thread can be happy too.

DeletedUser762

my only criticism really is that you (inno) keep doing this "after thought" ideas. You can't do this. The game is live now, it's no longer just in better. You can't put something in the beginning of the tech. Imagine in Foe they thought : oh we should have given those stone throwers that extra throw an a special culture building in a bronze age. The people in the Future era would be thinking: what the hell? I think you should work in a progression, not regression of the game. You haven't thought of that before, ok, forget it, think of something now, bring the innovation in a higher tech tree, that would benefit all, and doesn't look outdated.

DeletedUser519

I have built the academy here on beta and when I feel like it I will build it on my main world
This game might be live but it is still in its infancy and a lot of new content is going to be added
At this point after just over one year FoE wasn't in industrial age yet the Great buildings hadn't even been introduced and if you are playing it currently they just overhauled the ranking system so that is three examples that inno has and still change FoE
If you have played any inno games in the past you would know that this is how they work and that is the main reason I am not at all surprised that they change things ,add things or that bugs arrive with every update,
I actually anticipate it and leave room for it no matter if it effects how I rank in innos meaningless ranking system
I understand all your frustrations believe me I have been through all this with other inno releases
AND I APOLOGIZE TO ANY WHO HAVE BEEN OFFENDED BY ME
Call me a cynic but after 5 years playing inno games I have learned to except the fact that this is their game and they will do with it as they please

DeletedUser

@Andrew420 But you have to admit one, maybe small, thing. During so many years Inno should not only memorized, but also learned, how to not make updates, what introduce first from functionalities (first buildings and techs at bottom of dependencies, not those based on non-existing yet). So simply - using brain. Not introducing something and saying: "We introduce this new crap now. We update it after half a year approximately or even later. Now you have to live with that. Oh... And once build it cannot be deleted." Changing font by my is done intentionally. You only see regular text (broadcasted message), smaller info you get on forum sometimes from team (mods and CM), but smallest is only to get from players sharing info inside brotherhood or on forum. So most important things are very often hidden from players, who need to learn on their own. From company many years on market I should expect more and be more professional than many newcomers.And this is not happening. I see many lacks in information flow and not only.

DeletedUser762

Hi Andre, no don't worry nobody is offended by you, this is your opinion. But FYI, I've been playing FOE i think 5 years now o_O
But what you got to understand, developers are asking for opinions and I find it is better here than Foe. It's good. To day: this is their game , they do what they want is wrong, it is a game because we play it, otherwise it would be like a solitaire lol. I find it a lot better here, In Elvenar, mb because it's a more relaxed game, or mb because the team is better. While in Foe, whatever they do they just annoy so many people. Here, apart from a couple of annoying features, like making us work so hard in mine, LOL, but mb it was meant like this, you suppose to work hard in mine, also I don't like the difficulty with rune collections for dwarves wonders, but generally it is all good, and I see clearly that people listen, just look at the new tech tree. It's great. And they constantly work on many surprises for us, so you've got to evaluate it in an unbiased way. i think academy is a good thing, doesn't look to good, a bit outdated, but am sure it is useful for some, plus it maybe updated in the future with new features.

DeletedUser

I retract any support I may have given to the Academy. I forgot how underhanded Inno is playing this release.

The Ensorcelled Spells don't work for larger cities (previously mention by others in a different thread). If you have a 100% Culture Bonus, the Spell doesn't add to your bonus at all: you have to be at 125% for the Spell to have any effect.

If the Academy is supposed to be "powerful" - which cities need powerful help? Big cities that can't otherwise gain the 20,000 available necessary to get to the 125% mark. But we get nothing.

Officially, what possible "powerful" advantage is derived from the Academy? None.

The developers set the parameters for the Mountain Hall - and they did a great job. No miserly rewards nor anti-incentives - we all love this Wonder. What does this tell us?

1. Players aren't opposed to all new developments. We love good ones, and implement them asap
  2. Developers are capable of introducing positive changes into the game. But:
    1. Was the Mountain Hall an anomaly? Were the benefits accidentally high? Why is this one building so different than the other 4?
    2. Are the other Wonders and Academy indicative of the intentions of developers (stingy to the point of useless), or are they honest mistakes?

Thanks for all the feedback so far. We will be sure to forward it. Also, please keep this discussion about whether or not you like the Magic Academy - any other discussion can be held in another thread. If there is not one available yet for the discussion you wish to have, you are able to start your own discussion topic. :)

DeletedUser317

No, but i build it already (after all is beta, we need to test thing :D), but if i know what i know now, i will not build it, with it actual use, i find it mostly useless.
Goods:
I have lot of goods (really lot of them).​

Coins and Supplies:
Even upgrading buildings and scouting (this one non stop already for months) i not have coins problem, for supplies from the time of only one decline on quest a day i plan my city to be autosufficient and the matter of upgrading building is solved with the repeteable quest and neighborhood help.​

Now if i delete some workshop, i will need it (spells), but spells (as many said) are a finite resourse, so in time i have to build thats workshops again.
For factories are same as workshops.​

For the space thing, really if was a usefull building, i do not care, i build it, but now is useless so, is space lost.​

As final thoughts (as advanced player), i think that the main problem of the spells are in what bonus they give, because i can adapt and/or control how much goods, supplies and coins i need, based on time i have to play or play style, but i cannot control scouts time or buildings times or squad size or damage/life of troops, etc. Sure i can adapt, but i think spells be more usefull in thing that i cannot control and/or adapt.

For a small player, maybe can be usefull (really not sure, long time from being a small player), and i said maybe, because when i was a small player my main problem was trading and lack of kp due not able to negotiate encounters (i not like fighting :D) because of the lack of trading. Even if i have the spells at that time i think i will not use it, because it give only a minimal befenit (also think in the huge times to make a spell) compared to build more factories and/or houses and/or workshops in that space.

For a medium players, again maybe can be usefull, but not sure, at that time i think i was able to control and/or adapt to what was producing and so on (also in that time my main problem still was trading and kp lack).

I think if there are spells, must be a building where mages? make the spells, not only appeared from the void :D, the same can be said of goods and supplies and coins. After all in elvenar almost all thing come from one or another place (i think....)

Suggestions.
In the aspect of the point for the rank, i think the academy need to ask for population (mages? making spells)

For the matter of upgrading it with diamond, maybe its a little late to change it? i like to see it able to upgrade from researsh tree and on every upgrade a reduction of time for make spells and each spell is in the researsh tree, even further researsh can make spells more powerfull.