• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Events Allow players to use event currency to skip event quests

DeletedUser1767

Summary: Allow players to pay event currency in order to skip event quests (in major events) that are impossible in their current situation.

Description: Players would be allowed to skip event quests if they are willing to spend some amount of event currency to do so. This way, hitting a quest that is impossible for you, for no fault of your own, would no longer prevent you from participating in the event entirely; you'd miss out on the reward for that quest and have to forfeit a bit of your event currency, but if otherwise you would miss the currency from the entire rest of the questline, it would ultimately be worth it.

I'm not certain what the proper amount would be, but probably somewhat more than the amount that would be provided as a reward for completing the quests, in order to encourage people to use it only as a true last resort. I'm also not certain whether the option should be available for all event questlines or just the ones that are likely to cause people to get stuck. (No one likes making 100 beverages, but we all can do it.)

Note that this would address the problem only for the major events, and not for the smaller ones, since the smaller ones do not have event currency. It could be potentially extended to smaller events as well, but might require some modifications to the smaller events that would otherwise be unmotivated (like putting in event currency that doesn't actually do anything beyond allow you to buy your way out of quests, which doesn't seem like a good plan).

Motivations: Every time an event runs, many players end up posting that they are completely stuck on event quests that they are incapable of completing at their current stage of progress -- e.g. being unable to upgrade a building to a requisite level because they have not yet unlocked buildings at that level, or being unable to unlock a new technology because they are tech-locked. Since event quests cannot be declined, these players are simply stuck. (Here I should give credit to @yamer, who posted about being in this situation a few days ago and brought up the idea of skipping.) This would allow players to get out of that situation and continue with the event, albeit at a cost.

Possible downsides: It would require some changes in code, as well as some time and effort to calculate exactly how to balance the amount of event currency required to skip each quest without breaking the system. If the idea were to be extended to the minor events as well, some changes to the overall mechanics for those events would be required, since they do not currently have event currency.

Thanks to Soggy for the insight about using event currency and helpful discussion. :)

Deleted User - 60107

+1

In my opinion the cost for skipping a quest should be equal to the amount of event currency we would get if we complete it. Example:
A player has 100 event currency and has reached a quest that pays 20 event currency. If the player completes the quest he will have 120 (100 + 20) of the event currency. If the player skips the quest instead he will end up with 80 (100 - 20) event currency. That's a total difference of 40 event currency (plus any other missed rewards from the skipped quest).

The reason why skipping a quest should be relatively cheap is because if the player is too low on the event currency (for example, he spent most of it trying to get a part of a set) he will have to collect the needed amount by collecting the objects (such as eggs, ice keys, etc.) that appear around town, and those give 1 to 3, with 1 being the most common. If the price for skipping is too high it might take too long to collect enough.

DeletedUser283

yes, this is needed, I could not complete several events between finishing halflings and next chapter arrival because all my buildings where upgraded ...

Marindor

The events are balanced in such a way that these harder quests are also needed to slow down progression, keep the event challenging and making sure the balance is right. Simply giving the option to skip those quests (even with paying event currency) would seriously disrupt the event balancing and therefore we will not continue with this idea :)