• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Residence Levels 20-21 completely useless and waste of money

DeletedUser1542

Dont Bother upgrading your residences to lvl20-21, aside from the gold boost (which is not needed at this level).
the're is no population benefit, the ratio population/surface is identical. The upgrades are not cheap. buy KP points instead.

Ash

DeletedUser1542

Aslo, upgrading only to lvl20 acutally gives you less population, you lose 72 population everytime you go from lvl19 to lvl20

DeletedUser408

humm, then Devs need to balance this out, its 1 of only ways i can gain some population with my current city footprint to allow other upgrades to occur, Maybe Orcs will be last race update i play then

DeletedUser283

imho, I do not believe in "inhabitants/square" stuff :)
what I see is :
-level 19 residence gives 550 inhabitants
-level 20 residence gives 750 inhabitants
of course, it will use more space, but it will provide more population;
I have managed to put some space on the side that will allow me to upgrade 10 residences to level 21, and in return I will keep some squares (because of the 2x4 -> 4x3) that will let me upgrade 2 more armouries in the end
ok, the final gain in population per square is quite small indeed, but I will break even anyhow :)

DeletedUser

Plus, the population per culture also decreases significantly with the new Orc residences.

lvl19: 550/210 = 2.62
lvl20: 750/347 = 2.16
lvl21: 850/382 = 2.22

It's interesting to see how Inno tries to make everything more costly culture-wise.

DeletedUser1542

Unfortunately, everything is all about space and square footage. Assuming you've maxed out your space, how can you upgrade your other buildings (main hall, supplies, barracks, etc) if there is no way to increase your population ? you will need to sell off some . Example:

Lets say you have 10 city exp available for residences (2500 square units) you can build
31 x lvl19 2x4 = 17187 total population.
20 x lvl21 3x4 = 17708 total population.

Thats a gain of exactly 520 pop. that wont even get me my next silk upgrade.

Recall when res when from lvl15 (3x3) lvl16(2x4) they got smaller.

Mind you, you can always spend $300-$400 and buy snail culture building.

Ash

DeletedUser651

Plus, the population per culture also decreases significantly with the new Orc residences.

lvl19: 550/210 = 2.62
lvl20: 750/347 = 2.16
lvl21: 850/382 = 2.22

It's interesting to see how Inno tries to make everything more costly culture-wise.

So??? Does it even make sense to upgrade the houses? The population increase I get per space (2) will just be eaten up by more culture. I can't do the math right now. Am I not just better off just building more fairy houses space wise?

DeletedUser1345

Math is simple, 2 new houses take up the space of 3 old. The gain is marginal for population, better in regards to coin income. The trouble is rearranging the city to accommodate the new shape. I have not figured out a solution to switch from columns to rows with the settlement buildings using the cities available space.
The aim of the devs seems to be for humans and elves to have residences identical in size and function.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lissona

Did some planning on elven architect

When I reach the end of the tech tree and the orcs are gone, I will have four additional expansions (3 from the tech tree, at least one from the provinces)
–> I replace the old cultural buildings with the new campfire
–> I can upgrade all my currently available buildings (62x houses, 3x armories, 4x gems, barracks, main hall, 13x workshops) to the highest level (of course, I will destroy some houses)
–> And then I have a free space plot with the approx. size of 13 x 13 squares (so I don't have to destroy all houses and/or I can use a part of it still for the orcs)
-> For further expansions from provinces the complete row which has introduced with the orcs is still available

So even if I forgot something in my plan, I still don't see a huge problem coming up...

DeletedUser1095

Since 2 level-20 residences (1500 population total) take the space of 3 level-19s (1650 population total), the "upgrade" actually entails a loss of population. Can one of the staff verify whether this is intentional, or can we expect the level-20 population to be improved a bit?

Lissona

As far as I understood Goryn, this is intentional - with the upgrade to lvl 21 you will gain some inhabitants on the same space.

DeletedUser1095

But only 50 more than if we stay at level 19, and only if we can afford to lose inhabitants first.
Can Muf-Muf perhaps confirm that this is deliberate, and if so what the aim is?
I wouldn't want to accidentally play in some way that's not in line with the policy,
so I want to make sure I understand. Thanks

DeletedUser1095

[bump] Could Muf-Muf please try to find a moment to let us know
whether or not it's deliberate that upgrading residences to level 20
entails a loss in population? and if it is deliberate, what the aim is?
Please and thank you.

Dony

King of Bugs
there is no loss if you dont destroy other buildings and he already confirmed it in other thread

DeletedUser1095

Dony dear, upgrading residences from level 19 to level 20 "destroys" the level 19 residences, and there is a population loss.
Can someone provide a link to where Muf-Muf confirmed that this is deliberate and explained the reason for it? Thanks

Lissona

Dony dear, upgrading residences from level 19 to level 20 "destroys" the level 19 residences, and there is a population loss.
No, there is no population loss. There is a loss of population per square from 19 to 20 (which exists no more after upgrading to lvl 21).
After upgrading one elven residence (and not deleting another one) you have a plus of 200 residents.

DeletedUser651

No, there is no population loss. There is a loss of population per square

Those are contradictory statements. Loss of population per square IS a population loss. Mink is correct. If you replace 12 spaces of level 19 houses (3 houses) and put 2 level 20 houses in the same place, you do in fact lose population.

DeletedUser283

now if you have some spare space to upgrade 1 house without destoying any level 19 residence, you actually gain population :)

DeletedUser1075

Yes, there is a population per square loss at level 20, but that is reversed at level 21. Upgrade to level 21 immediately and you should be able to balance things out.

I did confirm that while I could have supported my manufacturies, armories, warehouses, and MH with the space available for housing in the fairy chapter (if I had ever built that out entirely... sigh, expansions), the same is not true for the Orc chapter. Using Elvenarchitect, I was able to confirm that the available space - with expansions - for all upgrades but no other additions to my infrastructure cannot be supported by the available space remaining for houses and cultural buildings. So I believe the incremental gain in population per square - and the gain in culture per square - isn't enough for the upgrades offered.

I will need to have Mountain Halls and Abyss wonders, as well as another cultural wonder to add to my Monastery, in order to have the population and culture necessary to support the infrastructure I have and could support without those under Fairies.

It will be interesting to see what they do for the next chapter, and if this trend will continue.

DeletedUser

Without Snail purchases...

essentially it works out to: the residence upgrades will roughly cover the upgrades to all primary buildings. Then, for each Magical manufactory we want to upgrade, we have to delete a Plank / Marble and use its culture / population for the upgrade. The freed space goes to culture required for all the upgrades.

I laid out several options into the online Planner, and this same general scenario emerges every time. The end result is that overall score increased by about 20k - but most of that was in required culture, I could only squeeze 2500 new population (non premium).

The end result of making the Magical upgrades isn't clear cut in terms of value. On the Pros side: high scoring, lots of T3 goods for purchasing KP. On the Cons side: huge loss of T1 goods, ugly new buildings for the foreseeable year.

I haven't made up my mind yet. It's tough to get enthusiastic about building, in the words of a friend, "orc slums".