• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Winter Magic

Deleted User - 86059

Yes @maxiqbert we do understand. The point of this feed is to get as much feedback as possible to pass on to the game team. Then along with the statistics from the game they can assess any changes that need to be made

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 60107

Yes @maxiqbert we do understand. The point of this feed is to get as much feedback as possible to pass on to the game team. Then along with the statistics from the game they can access any changes that need to be made
I think you mean "assess". ;) "Access" means something else.

I'm sad to say that making this little ciorrection is the most fun I've had with the event since it started on live... :(

Deleted User - 86059

ooops thanks for the heads up @shadowblack , I fear one of my blonde moments sneaking in. Ahh well it is Sunday afternoon :D

DeletedUser2818

if we had 6 big events exactly the same it would be boring
What devs and many people don't seem to realize, is that sometimes people actually want more of the same. Many famous game series tried to introduce new elements and guess what happened to them... they flopped. Some series were even cancelled, because the devs kept adding unwanted stuff when what was wanted was something that worked. So more of the same (with the exception of new stories, updated graphics and all) was exactly what people very vocally wanted. Not sure if I'm able to name other games, but there's plenty of examples to be made.
There are even many examples of studios that realized how much people wanted more of the same that they released new games based on old gameplay formulas, and they were all, without fail, astounding successes. Some of those studios accomplished that alone, while other smaller studios did so through crowdfunding - and guess who it was that funded them, both astonishingly fast and raising numbers such as more than $2,000,000 over a $500,000 goal? People that wanted more of the same.
And more of the same was delivered, and it was a great success, and I can't wait from more of the same from those studios. Meanwhile I saw other studios die because either them or more often shareholders forced them to changed that which worked, and they died along with series that were once good and love by legions of players.
TL;DR I'd welcome 6 chest events a lot more than a mixture of enjoyable old-style events and utter garbage such as this Winter 2019.

Dony

King of Bugs
What devs and many people don't seem to realize, is that sometimes people actually want more of the same. Many famous game series tried to introduce new elements and guess what happened to them... they flopped. Some series were even cancelled, because the devs kept adding unwanted stuff when what was wanted was something that worked. So more of the same (with the exception of new stories, updated graphics and all) was exactly what people very vocally wanted. Not sure if I'm able to name other games, but there's plenty of examples to be made.
There are even many examples of studios that realized how much people wanted more of the same that they released new games based on old gameplay formulas, and they were all, without fail, astounding successes. Some of those studios accomplished that alone, while other smaller studios did so through crowdfunding - and guess who it was that funded them, both astonishingly fast and raising numbers such as more than $2,000,000 over a $500,000 goal? People that wanted more of the same.
And more of the same was delivered, and it was a great success, and I can't wait from more of the same from those studios. Meanwhile I saw other studios die because either them or more often shareholders forced them to changed that which worked, and they died along with series that were once good and love by legions of players.
TL;DR I'd welcome 6 chest events a lot more than a mixture of enjoyable old-style events and utter garbage such as this Winter 2019.
of course there is some true in this, but
1. there are many types of gamers with differents needs, autumn event gameplay was the worst in evlenar history for me.
2. we are talking about same event 6 times per year, there is no gaming series which released 6 sequels per year, if there would exist, it would fail for same reason if it would be the same all the time, even 6 sequels per 6 years is too much for many players

DeletedUser2818

of course there is some true in this, but
1. there are many types of gamers with differents needs, autumn event gameplay was the worst in evlenar history for me.
2. we are talking about same event 6 times per year, there is no gaming series which released 6 sequels per year, if there would exist, it would fail for same reason if it would be the same all the time, even 6 sequels per 6 years is too much for many players
1) That much is not being questioned, but it'd be curious to have an in-game poll, since most don't browse the forums. If it's anything like in the forums, you'd be part of a very tiny minority.
2) An event doesn't take as much time or resources as a game does, not even close; especially since stuff have been copy-pasted and recycled on Elvenar for years now, with very few new additions compared to some years ago where everything was new. Not even a chapter takes the same amount and resources a whole game does, so I don't really see where you're getting at. There are however games that release multiple updates per year and they manage just fine even if it's more of the same, so again, I don't see where you're getting at here.

Verde

i'm not convinced, sorry
changes that needed to be made quite evidently have not been made

If it seems as though feedback on beta isn't being heeded, there's a possibility of less feedback in the future. Perhaps beta becomes mainly a bug reporting environment, still worth something.
The discussion thread on EN Live to the Winter Event is very thin.

CrazyWizard

If they want to mix it up with more mechanics in events, I hope they will countinue doing so and one day they throw whole concept of events away and start building it from a scratch - so it will be unique for Elvenar, perfectly suited for game balance and not copying other game, because as it has been said several times, not everything what is popular with players on one side, has to be necessary popular on the other one.

And as I keep saying - if they want to make events fun, then the idea of quests that force us to do the same thing as we do when event is not running (producing supplies, goods, whatever) is absolutely not playing their cards. This is how I see it for years.

I was told that this event ain't liked on FoE as well. tho the information is from second hand.

Dony

King of Bugs
but it'd be curious to have an in-game poll, since most don't browse the forums. If it's anything like in the forums, you'd be part of a very tiny minority.
or official survey once per year on every market with same quests about all aspect of the game including events, that would be much more beneficial for devs to see how players feel about any feature in the game
even give them a small reward for filling survey so its more relevant

Verde

it'd be curious to have an in-game poll, since most don't browse the forums.
Wouldn't it be interesting, assuming technically feasible, to have a simple pop-up question, about half-way into the event, asking 'Are you enjoying this event? Y/N'.

Agreed with Dony's post that a more comprehensive survey is also an excellent plan, but a simple intra-event question gives more immediate feedback and while people are actually involved in the event. Always find myself that when survey questions are asked much later, it's often hard to recapture the feeling at the time.

justpeeking

All "awesome" dialog box should come with an additional button beside "awesome", saying something like "I don't like this that much" or something. It still would work as an "accept" button (like the "awesome" one), but players could express their feelings about the result they are accepting and IG could see the sentiment around that specific part of the game and the game in general.

Deleted User - 86059

I have done several ingame surveys regarding the game and the event. Admittedly not on Beta but on the live servers and have always been honest with my answers. I think they don't ask on Beta (my assumption only, not knowledge) is because of it being a test server and they want to find out how (regular) players feel

Maillie

I have been in the game for over three years, and I believe that I did see a survey one time. I remember in one section it asked how often I purchased diamonds, and if I spent a certain amount monthly. It was a rather lengthy survey, but I don't recall ever getting another one, and it was a long time ago.

What devs and many people don't seem to realize, is that sometimes people actually want more of the same. Many famous game series tried to introduce new elements and guess what happened to them... they flopped. Some series were even cancelled, because the devs kept adding unwanted stuff when what was wanted was something that worked. So more of the same (with the exception of new stories, updated graphics and all) was exactly what people very vocally wanted.
I couldn't agree more. I'm a casualty of a very beloved game that suddenly became "raid or die" with a lead dev saying "They don't know what fun is, we know what fun is," (after losing half of their subscriptions). I am finding that the devs here do at least seem to try to fix things. I don't feel like I'm shouting at a wall here, as we were in Beta there. I greatly appreciate that the devs seem to listen more here.

DeletedUser2829

This has to be the first event where adding event currency to the mystical object makes it a worse bet than before, and I would rather wait till the event is over to open it.......

iDavis

@LazyTony for me it's always like this, since diamonds is the only thing from mystical object I really want. Last time, after Autumn Zodiac was over, I opened 11 chests in a row.

DeletedUser1906

EXACTLY!!! One of my all time favorite games shut down its servers due to this!

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided an MMORPG for PCs. It was released 2003, 3 expansions later it shut down, 2011. There were a few who LOUDLY and regularly complained about not being able to unlock a Jedi character on the Forums. This was an exceedingly difficult task. 3 years in and I still had not figured it out, and it was different for every person...and every character a person had. The last expansion catered to the complaints and made Jedi a starting profession. After which too many of the long time players quit. Jedi was sought after, and only few had it, that's why it was so special. Many long time players had tried for years and had massively leveled characters that could not unlock Jedi anymore. Anyone and everyone could become a Jedi by just starting a new character. It made all other professions useless and targeted by Jedi players who overpowered them easily, even at early levels, due to built in character skill sets.

Needless to say, a once crazy popular game that made SONY a lot of money, failed by making too many changes. INNO don't go down this path. keep the things we love, modify the things that don't work. But drastic change will fail, and your long time (and paying) players will wander away.

Arthus

Was that from quests alone, without buying event currency? If so, do you feel you've been very lucky by winning ribbons, or was did it feel average?

I saw this today, sorry for no answer.
It was from quest alone, no ribbons from academy.
I didn't buy any currency. I feel ok with winning bonus currency, not "wow" but ok.

I won 2x150 once. Few of 2x+reset which gave 100 overall.
The problem is that now there's nothing to do for next 26 days because 1 quest takes whole day and gives 20 ribbons, which is pathetic and that's why this event has 1/10 for me.

There's no explanation, they could leave endless loop with 90 ribbons max, while limiting grand rewards.
They could give tower of the winter king or christmas set from 2018 (basic one, not owl one) for each 100 bricks one reward.

They could also simply end grand rewards after 9th artifact, giving one final reward - best pop/cult building in game, and thank you window after that. Rest would be weak side rewards but we could get plenty of them.

There was plenty of possibilities but no will to give us anything for christmas. There was only will to punish us for previous events.
There were 3 weeks before this event started on live. They only made change for players to gain less currency than before, and changing rune shards from side-rewards etc (leaving pathetic 2 KP and 10KP rewards or 1 spell rewards).

There were tons of feedback but nothing came from it, event went on live almost untouched and got incredibly negative feedback on live.

Now they failed their money even more, because evolution building is terrible like sirens and very low ammount of players will buy any ribbons for real money to get it, unlike autumn bears which were strong and event was very rewarding.

If they gave a lot, players would pay to have additional magical workshops and residences for this event.
But they made residences and workshops to drop from spire which lowered importance of diamonds, and they destroyed event rewards which are not worth any money now.

I myself wanted to buy 6000 diamonds on +100% but i resigned because there's no need.
Diamond buildings are dropping, wishing wells give good ammounts, djinns, academy, spire are dropping them.
Evo building is not worthy, event is not worthy. So no need for me to buy it, i would only waste money.
It's not 2018 when wishing wells were introduced and dropped like 1-2 per event and dropped 10 diamonds and there was no other source.

I spent money in phoenix event, it was a worthy building to get to the maximum.

Last edited:

DeletedUser2836

In the last event I got 41 Wishing Wells from the daily prizes and the ones between the artifacts. It's been 60 days since I put all of them in my live city and milked them until unblock 6 premium expansions. They still have 40 days of function and I expect to get 2 more expansions. To summarize I will obtain for free 8 expansions that I was supposed to pay in real money.
Recently the diamonds, once very rare for non premium players, has become a pretty normal thing for most of us. You can get them from wishing wells, from the spire, from the academy, its like almost every day you can obtain some of them from multiple ways. And it being the currency that keeps financially alive this game, the intention to pay cash for them has lowered a lot since there are many alternatives to that.
I understand the changes that the developers has been trying to implement lately to fix this but you need to be smarter with this. Once players get used to expect certain level of rewards, suddenly cutting them down in this manner wont get a positive response. In the best of the possibilities you will get an angry and overheated extense discussion like the bears event, and in the worst one the players will only ignore it like this event that dont even have half of the feedback of the last one.
In my case, even being an event junkie, my participation will limit to casually collect some ribbons from a few quest and try to get one or two Igloo Festivals, and then try my luck in a few more Winter Stars at the end. Besides that, from now on I can happily say merry christmas to all.

Avenahar

It seems that I am doomed to produce toolboxes for the final spurt of the event. It's boring and I'd prefer to give the rest of my best than leaning back singing Ribbons fall softly at night...