• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Winter Magic - The Snow Owl Express

aliceFalling

hi. well, i've got to the lockdown missions...fair enough (i suppose) but i see now that there is simply no way i can fully evolve the owl...maybe i'll get to the 9th. has anyone managed/is managing? i mean, without diamonds...just a curiosity...

Arthus

Can we get any confirmation that Tower of the Winter king won't appear in this event? People want to know before Goblin Gift Shop appears on live and they will spend their keys

Pauly7

hi. well, i've got to the lockdown missions...fair enough (i suppose) but i see now that there is simply no way i can fully evolve the owl...maybe i'll get to the 9th. has anyone managed/is managing? i mean, without diamonds...just a curiosity...
My owl is on level 8 and I need to move a full 40 steps to get it to level 9. I have also caught up with the quests and have 437 keys in hand.

So 80 steps are required for me to fully evolve the owl. Can we assume that we get an average of 2 gifts per try? Therefore that means I need to open 40 doors to make it.

There are 11 days remaining. I would expect to pick up 90 keys per day (login bonus + daily quest + collecting round the city). That means that 990 keys are still available to be picked up, which would give me a total of 1,427.

Each door costs 25 keys to open. It will cost me 1,000 keys to open enough doors to get there.

So yeah... I expect to fully upgrade the owl and pick up a second base. Depending on luck (i.e. 1, 2 or 3 gifts behind each door), I either could get one more artefact, or be somewhere along the path towards it.

The only other factor is whether I manually shuffle the board, as that costs extra keys to do. If I do that more than once or twice I could be in danger of not getting a second owl base. I'll never want one anyway, so I see there being a little bit of leeway for me.

SoggyShorts

I'm rolling the dice and planning for 2 artifacts from an upcoming FA(that might not exist)
This lets me click the reshuffle 25+ more times if I want while still guaranteeing enough presents to evolve to level 8

Currently, I have 1157 keys with ~1,000 more coming and I need 40 presents to get to level 8
I have 12 Goblin sleds, and i used the reshuffle immediately after finding each of them.

Arthus

The major problem of this game is that every event is underwhelming because people don't have space in city to make benefit of "mediocre" buildings, so they value only the "best" ones as worth to put in the city and the game offered majority of best ones in the past, not recently.

That's why diamonds like "Goblin Gift Shop" which is 5th best building for population behind Gravity Inn, Tower of the Winter King, Castle Snowflakes and Snowflakes mountain are waited for and all the rest is ignored and event is "mediocre" overall.

Everything produces not needed resources, who needs mana from special evolution buildings in chapter 17 when we have amazing mana options from normal event buildings? We asked so long for shortening scouting, lowering negotiation costs, HP boosting effects... On wonders or evo buildings... We get KP

Why buildings which should be powerful are made mediocre?

Also again, why someone could get Tower of the Winter King in 2016 and has advantage over 2020 players only because we have no chance to get it too for last 4 years?

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Also again, why someone could get Tower of the Winter King in 2016 and has advantage over 2020 players only because we have no chance to get it too for last 4 years?
IMO there should be minor mostly cosmetic advantages like the Tower of the Winter King for legacy players. Considering that they had to pay RL $$$ to get it, then hang on to it for 3 years before Royal Restorations were invented, and then spend a couple hundred of those to level it, that seems reasonable.
I mean really it's a single 4x4 building that for all that time and effort gives a couple of thousand pop more than Goblin Gift Shops in the same space.
It gives about 5 squares advantage over other players.

Note: No, I don't have one.

Arthus

IMO there should be minor mostly cosmetic advantages like the Tower of the Winter King for legacy players. Considering that they had to pay RL $$$ to get it, then hang on to it for 3 years before Royal Restorations were invented, and then spend a couple hundred of those to level it, that seems reasonable.
I mean really it's a single 4x4 building that for all that time and effort gives a couple of thousand pop more than Goblin Gift Shops in the same space.
It gives about 5 squares advantage over other players.

Note: No, I don't have one.

Then it could be easily limited to one of the grand prizes as we proposed earlier but no one cared so we get amazing portal profits no.500 and gold booster no. 2000 as grand rewards

Game evolves, main rewards from halloweens 2016/17/18/19 were dailies in multiple ammounts last month i don't see why other buildings couldn't be included or at least make new buildings comparable, not weak.

SoggyShorts

Then it could be easily limited to one of the grand prizes as we proposed earlier
How would that change anything? Wouldn't the complaint just become "But he has two winter kings and I only have one!"?
Game evolves, main rewards from halloweens 2016/17/18/19 were dailies in multiple ammounts last month i don't see why other buildings couldn't be included or at least make new buildings comparable, not weak.
The Goblin Gift Shop is the highest pop/sq daily building ever offered in the history of the game. How is that "weak"?

Arthus

How would that change anything? Wouldn't the complaint just become "But he has two winter kings and I only have one!"?

The Goblin Gift Shop is the highest pop/sq daily building ever offered in the history of the game. How is that "weak"?

It's 1 reward and event takes 33 days honey.
As we say here "1 swallow doesn't make spring".

SoggyShorts

It's 1 reward and event takes 33 days honey.
As we say here "1 swallow doesn't make spring".
To be clear, the best reward ever is a disappointment to you because there is only one? You know how the word "best" works, right darling?

By the way, there's also the Candy Cane Factory which rivals the top 2 most efficient mana buildings in the game, several decent culture buildings, military instants, KP and portal profits to be won. Oh and the Grand prize of course.

Please be specific, what would make you happy?

Arthus

Well balanced event that is a challenge, doesn't end with "quest lock" after 3 days and has useful reward unlike Owl (and upcoming evo) which give mana for chapter 17 players who have 2-3 million + useless mana when seeds are lacking

SoggyShorts

Well balanced event that is a challenge
Specifics, please.
What quests would make it a challenge yet balanced?
doesn't end with "quest lock" after 3 days
Specifics, please.
What instead then?
How do you expect the developers to use feedback like "This isn't good" "I want something else"?
has useful reward unlike Owl (and upcoming evo) which give mana for chapter 17 players who have 2-3 million + useless mana when seeds are lacking
This is better: so the feedback is
"Mana is very abundant in chapter 17, the evolution building giving seeds would be more useful than mana late game."
That wasn't so hard now was it?

galrond

Well balanced event that is a challenge, doesn't end with "quest lock" after 3 days and has useful reward unlike Owl (and upcoming evo) which give mana for chapter 17 players who have 2-3 million + useless mana when seeds are lacking
What is challenging to you could be impossible to others. If you have reached the "daily" quests after 3 days, then you surely must have used a lot of timeboosters. There´s nothing wrong with that. I use timeboosters myself to progress in event.
The thing I find odd, is that ppl feeling compelled to use timeboosters, also think the quests are too easy and fast to make o_O

Concerning "useless mana" vs. "lacking seeds". It´s not that long ago, that ppl in another tread said AWs producing seeds were worthless.
I know chapter 17 turned the tables, but isn´t the "useless mana" issue mainly a question of planning?
I´m not saying, that a new evo shouldn´t give seeds instead of mana. Maybe it makes sense due to the chapter, where it´s introduced :cool:

Enevhar Aldarion

What is challenging to you could be impossible to others. If you have reached the "daily" quests after 3 days, then you surely must have used a lot of timeboosters. There´s nothing wrong with that. I use timeboosters myself to progress in event.
The thing I find odd, is that ppl feeling compelled to use timeboosters, also think the quests are too easy and fast to make.

Not sure what his answer is, but I am sure that a lot of players feel the need to speed through the quests, so they will have plenty of tries at a specific daily prize, once those are known from the Beta playthrough. Remember the days when the first or second day prize was the Wishing Well and people wanted to win as many of those as they could?

Lovec Krys

@SoggyShorts Candy cane factory cannot compete with the best mana buildings - it is a pop/cult/mana hybrid, so from the view of mana production it is laughable (if you don't care about how many pop or cult it provides = you're only after mana)

I personaly don't have any problem if some building available several years ago for $$$ only is given as a daily reward. After all, there was a time when you could get MA lv 5 and 4+workers only with $$$, now you can get diamonds ingame.

SoggyShorts

Candy cane factory cannot compete with the best mana buildings - it is a pop/cult/mana hybrid, so from the view of mana production it is laughable (if you don't care about how many pop or cult it provides = you're only after mana)
I can't see it that way. I have never seen a city with zero population requirements and therefore population has value, which can be measured.
It makes no sense to me to ignore the population when valuing a building.

E.G. What's better,
A pure mana building that gives 100 mana plus a residence that gives 100 pop for a total of 20 squares
or
two mana pop hybrids that each give 50 mana and 50 pop in 16 squares?

The value of the population from a Candy Cane Factory will vary based on what other options a player has for their population needs, but it has value.

There is an argument to be made that hybrids are harder to replace, but with teleports, that issue is rather moot, especially when faced with no other clear option.

A little flexibility in strategy goes a long way.
I personaly don't have any problem if some building available several years ago for $$$ only is given as a daily reward. After all, there was a time when you could get MA lv 5 and 4+workers only with $$$, now you can get diamonds ingame.
I hate it. It cheapens the game. They should never have given out the Venar's I, II, and certainly not the III as daily rewards.
I don't care if they release buildings with even better numbers of the exact same size, but the artwork and names should change.

Of course, I went for multiple Venar's III when given the chance, but it made the Venar's I that I earned so long ago much less special.

The developers should also try to keep inflation/powercreep in check. The players (myself very much included) were comparing every offered building in every single event after winter 2016 for years and basically crapping on anything that wasn't a winter star.
the next huge mistake was probably the fire chicken, giving a bonus equal to 100s of AW levels was an insane choice.
Then brown bears too for a while.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, as far as I can tell there are some excellent building choices this winter, even if they might require some strategy shifting.

Last edited:

Lovec Krys

I can't see it that way. I have never seen a city with zero population requirements and therefore population has value, which can be measured.
It makes no sense to me to ignore the population when valuing a building.
Population got through event buildings doesn't produce coins (not mentioning the points if you care). Therefore I prefer magic residences over everything else for population (especialy after building Thermal Spring, which gives 0 bonus for pop/cult hybrids).
So it might be good for you if you don't have Thermal Spring and don't need so many coins or rely on big cultural bonus, but it is not good for me.

edeba

the next huge mistake was probably the fire chicken, giving a bonus equal to 100s of AW levels was an insane choice.
And so the idiot solution becomes to trash the AWs and game progression.

There's an idea, cut the fire bird benefit by 30-40%, take out the premium expansion penalty, cut the AW penalty in half and put in my modified tournament difficulty that sets province 50 level 6 at 200% difficulty. Let people collect up to 3 of the fire birds. The land needs and pet food would keep their use in check.

This is existing province 25 to 50, the percent increase in difficulty and the actual difficulty levels.
1607256111268.png

This is my proposed change to tournament difficulty from province 25.
1607256346230.png