• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Implemented [Trader] Deep developed trader?

DeletedUser

Hallo, i already read some post about that, but my idea is a little different so i opened a new discussion.

Being trading a central feature of the game and having good looking traders (both human end elven ones) i was wandering if it can be developed more deeply.
I thought about some research to unlock improvements (maybe requiring ALSO a trader level).
For example, human trader can unlock better sails or expert crew, elves can unlock train for a bigger beast or a better equippped one.

This improvements can lower taxes for trading with undiscovered players. For example, first improvement -10% tax, second one -20% ecc..
They also shold have a visual feedback in the building.

I think there should be at least 1 or 2 improvements for trader in the first age. This way, players can early invest in theese research and gettign somo more trading opportunities.

And what about some little personalitations of trader building? like colors or a banner on it?

What do you think?

DeletedUser43

I understand why you opened a new thread for your idea: you'd like to develop the trader mainly through research in the research tree and not necessarily through upgrading the trader (although that would still be a possibility) as has been proposed in this thread (click). Therefore, I'll leave this thread open. I'm curious to see if it's preferred to develop the trader through research or through upgrades. Besides that, I'm wondering what kind of improvements the trader should get when it's developed. You give one example of reducing the tax (trader fee?), but perhaps there are more ideas out there. :)

About the personalisation of buildings with banners: I'd like to discuss this idea here (click).

DeletedUser

Hallo, Lauwi! Yes, i mean trader fee, sorry for my english :rolleyes:
I suggested the trader fee reduction system beacuse i think is simpler to be implemented in the game.

But the mainly concept of my ideas is to give the trader a more important role than it has now. As the human history teach, traders are often the vehicle that spread ideas and cultures. Could be great if player can use it to cennect to other player in a similar way: unlocking reserch (this time they should be expansive) that allow trader to explore some distance provinces or to establish a trade post in a distance city owned by a friend, which allow the trading post owner to trade with near cities.

For example: i unlock a "trading post" reserch and i can send my trader to establish a trading post (maybe 1 each level trader or 1 for "trade post 1 " reserch, 2 for "trade post 2" reserch. ecc) and i now can trade, for free, only with cities that are adjacent to the friend city.

I fear theese ideas require a more expansive work to be implemented, but i hope they could be usefull.

I see another post about trading post, but i can't link it :mad:. Maybe ideas can be merged?

DeletedUser236

I see another post about trading post, but i can't link it :mad:. Maybe ideas can be merged?

I think you're talking about this (click) post?

I'm curious to see if it's preferred to develop the trader through research or through upgrades.

I think I prefer development of the trader through research and upgrades (like manufactories and all buildings really).
Something like this:
  • Research Trader = level 1 trader (like the one we have now)
    • Research Trade post = You can place 2 trade posts in a range of XX
  • Research Advanced Trader = +1 trading range + you can upgrade your trader to level 3.
    • Research Advanced Trade post = You can place 1 more trade post in a range of XX
  • Research Superior Trader = +2 trading range + you can upgrade your trader to level 5.
    • Research Superior Trade post = You can place 2 more trade posts in a range of XX
The levels/upgrades will change the look of your trader a little and will lower the penalty by x%
(I can't put a number down for x 'cause I don't know what will cause the game to be out of balance etc).

So next to those 3 "basic" researches you can have researches that will make it possible to have trade posts, or maybe something else if people have some nice ideas.

DeletedUser

Why not offer both enhancement paths -- research AND building upgrade? They could enhance the Trader in different ways, like better range, lower fees, etc.

DeletedUser

First I have to say, that I like suggestions like the one of Acamax. They give a basic idea, not too many details, and describe some elements. This is a good basis for a discussion and to see, if the idea is liked.

And I think, I like this suggestion. As this game is about upgrading buildings, it feels quite strange, that this shouldn't apply to the trader (or even cultural buildings).

I see a point there with 'trading range'. I don't think you mean, the player should be able to trade with undiscovered players like they were discovered.
But in my experience there is no fixed trading range at all, it seems to me, there may be a fixed number of undiscovered players and you can see offers of those. I have no idea about the criteria how they may be chosen.

DeletedUser

I think you're talking about this (click) post?

I think I prefer development of the trader through research and upgrades (like manufactories and all buildings really).
Something like this:
    • Research Trade post = You can place 2 trade posts in a range of XX
  • Research Advanced Trader = +1 trading range + you can upgrade your trader to level 3.
    • Research Advanced Trade post = You can place 1 more trade post in a range of XX
  • Research Superior Trader = +2 trading range + you can upgrade your trader to level 5.
    • Research Superior Trade post = You can place 2 more trade posts in a range of XX

I still prefere some more specific and visual research for trader, but your proposal better matches with game's mechanics.
I just would modify it like this:
    • Research Trade post = You can place 1 trading posts wherever you want, and you are able to trade with cities in a range 1 (or XX to set according with a game balance) from your trading post.
  • Research Advanced Trader = +1 trading range + you can upgrade your trader to level 3. THAT ALSO INVOLVE TRADING POST RANGE.
    • Research Advanced Trading post = You can place 1 more trading post wherever you want.
  • Research Superior Trader = +2 trading range + you can upgrade your trader to level 5
    • Research Superior Trade post = You can place 2 more trade posts wherever you want

OR, we can also semplify it, according to the idea that upgraded trader in our city control BOTH tecnology affecting range AND number of trading post the player can mange.
For example:

• Research Advanced Trader = +1 trading range (from city ) + you can upgrade your trader to level 3. You can place 1 trading posts wherever you want, and you are able to trade with cities in a range 1 (or XX to set according with the game balance) from your trading post. You can place your first trading post once you have trader lev 3.
  • Research Superior Trader = +2 trading range from city and +1 trading range from trading post + you can upgrade your trader to level 5. You can place the second trading post once you have trader lev 5.

DeletedUser236

I don't think you mean, the player should be able to trade with undiscovered players like they were discovered.
You are right, I mean trading with more undiscovered neighbors but still with a fee (that gets a little less when you upgrade your trader).

I'm not quite sure there is a fixed number at the moment, but it seems that you can trade with +3 range (counting from the last one of your discovered neighbors). But this is based on some observations and not worth much.
Maybe there is a mod that can give a little more info about the current trading range situation?

DeletedUser

I see a point there with 'trading range'. I don't think you mean, the player should be able to trade with undiscovered players like they were discovered.
But in my experience there is no fixed trading range at all, it seems to me, there may be a fixed number of undiscovered players and you can see offers of those. I have no idea about the criteria how they may be chosen.

I can think about something like that:
Trading post works like "conquer" a province, unlocking trading with cities in range 1 from that province. You can NOT start military conquer from trading post (at least until you unlock a hight level research allowing you to do it, that it can be implemented).

About range from your city, we can simply allow eache trader research ( NOT eache trader's level) to explore 1 range in each direction from our known boundaries.

Military strenght in provinces is still related to distance from city and it is not affected by trading exploration (or maybe yes, what do you think?)

DeletedUser

I'm not quite sure there is a fixed number at the moment, but it seems that you can trade with +3 range

I'm very sure, this is not the case, because at the beginning of my trading carreer I saw offers from a player at least 10 rings away from my discovered zone.

DeletedUser

maybe if the trader is level X they can send goods to people X distance away

DeletedUser

I just want my trader to look more fitting anything else done is fine with me. Has anyone looked at Khebeln's city? He has a level 1 trader, it isn't fitting at all.

DeletedUser1757

Not really, this is completely different building.

Two missing options for trader:
1. trade with FS only.
2. Show trades outside only.