• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Tournaments] Reduce Tournament encounters

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lovec Krys

For example, the added "set all" on workshops feature does not mean that they must now increase event quests from "Make 50 beverages" to "Make 100 beverages"
And not to mention that this feature is only available for mobile users, players who don't use mobile app, doesn't have it (myself included).

SoggyShorts

It's good for the game when new and small players stick around. We may not know everything, but we can speak to an experience that you might have forgotten.
You are (mistakenly) assuming that us experienced beta testers don't run several cities at various levels for testing purposes.
Because there is a blend of players, I think the hybrid solution I've advocated is a good one
Not a single one of my testing cities(chapters 2,4,6,7,11&14) would get more out of a hybrid than a simple reduction, and I honestly don't think you would either.

Please don't think we/I don't appreciate your perspective, as it is obviously important. I'm just saying that with dozens of FS members across multiple servers all of varying chapter and experience levels(and a plethora of testing cities) the "small guy" isn't someone being left out. I really am looking at it as what would improve things for at least the very vast majority of players if not all of them.

Last edited:

DeletedUser2817

Running a beginning chapter city as an experienced player is different than running one as a new player. I know that you believe you are right about my experience. I think it's possible that you are not.

Karvest

even for inexperienced player there is no difference between 4x small vs 1 big if you can't get reward for less then x4 small ones (which is true in tournaments)

CrazyWizard

I feel this change will become a manual fighting game this way.
I don't like it.

The change from 8 to 4 was welcome, but from 4 to 1 sounds like I wanna do tournaments but I dont wanna do any effort type of change.

Now you need to make choices between manual and automatic battling for the sake of convinience/sanity or manual to reduces losses.
40-50 provinces take 20-30 minutes (especially since they removed the aditional click on auto mode)
(semi)Manual it takes 2-2,5 hours to do 20-30 provincies.

When you change it to 1 encounter the time it takes to do manual becomes so low that it almost becomes required and you eliminate the entire choice.
If you wanna perform in the tournaments manual becomes mandatory and too easy. and for some tournaments it will truly become a game about who has scouted the most provincies (a game I would easily win) but still I am not in favour of this change.

This change feelst to me like a I want to do tournaments but dont spend time on it, just like some cries from other players that they want the grand price in a event without doing al those tedious assignments. or I want to complete a challenge with my 5 workshops and dont build any extra.

DeletedUser2818

I'm conflicted over this. On one hand it'd be indeed less tedious and we'd be able to enjoy more manual fights than we currently are. On the other hand it'd be a big enough change that the balance could easily be thrown out of the window one way of another. Also, not everyone got a Fire phoenix, which would make things harder to balance. Of course they could buff the other two phoenixes but I don't see that happening.
As to the Timewarp, it's a godsend and already spared me the horrible task of having to put an alarm up late at night once a week in order to do all stages, but it's also on a very late chapter and most players don't have it yet. Which doesn't change a thing when it comes to your suggestion, I get it, but I think it's worth remembering.

DeletedUser

Quality of life changes? There is nothing in this game that says you must complete every encounter, of every province, of every level in tournaments. That’s a choice.

Having recently completed a lot of encounters (maybe around 60 manually) this was a lot of work and time consuming, at the end I catered just to speed it up.

@Loki Blue not everyone has a fire phoenix, new players don’t.

DeletedUser2817

Let me explain my point about the advantages of 4 encounters over 1 for new players in particular. Even if the end difficulty appears the same, it is not.

Say you currently have 4 encounters. I'm going to make some numbers up here for ease; they're not intended to exactly relate to any particular province or tournament

Under the current system you have 4 encounters. I am going to list negotiating costs and likely losses for each one, assuming auto fight. (The newb in question is like me and does not want to manually fight.)

1. Negotiate: 2000 gold 130 supplies 4 steel Fight: Easy peasy. Throw 5 treants at it, no losses

2. Negotiate: 6000 gold, 15 steel Fight: No matter what you do, you're going to lose a treant (or get wiped)

3. Negotiate: 1000 gold, 50 supplies, 2 steel Fight: Easy peasy. 5 treants, no losses

4. Negotiate: 3000 gold, 150 supplies, 10 steel Fight: Lose a treant, probably some archers

OK, combine this all into one encounter and you have this choice:

Negotiate: 12000 gold, 330 supplies, 31 steel OR lose 2 treants and some archers

BUT if you have 4 encounters as above, you could fight 1 and 3 and negotiate 2 and 4. So the cost to you as a new player is 9000 gold, 25 steel and 150 supplies, with no troop losses. That's a significant savings on this province.

All of these numbers are so small as to be insignificant to you bigger fellows. But they matter starting out. Especially in the beginning you want to be able to preserve those starting treants, because you can't make more of them until the end of chapter 2.

Having to make these decisions and choosing to negotiate some and fight some is also good practice for new players, who will be making this choice throughout the game (including in fighting provinces.

DeletedUser2843

+1

I love planning my cities out to keep getting better with tournaments but then the number of encounters I'm doing keeps going up and up.... and the click click click click click is sooooooo boring!!!

SoggyShorts

Running a beginning chapter city as an experienced player is different than running one as a new player. I know that you believe you are right about my experience. I think it's possible that you are not.
Which is precisely why I don't rely on just my experience and get feedback from dozens of FS members as well.
When you change it to 1 encounter the time it takes to do manual becomes so low that it almost becomes required and you eliminate the entire choice.
Disagree strongly. If as you say the current choice is between 30 minutes per day on one task and 2.5 hours per day I say that the choice has already been taken away because 2.5h per day is insane.
Quality of life changes? There is nothing in this game that says you must complete every encounter, of every province, of every level in tournaments. That’s a choice.
Perhaps you aren't familiar with the term? Quality Of Life is a gaming term. QoL
  • "Quality of Life" in the context of video games refers to features or aspects of gamedesign that ensure that players have a smooth gameplay experience
With QoL changes, it's not about making the game easier, it's more just the user interface. Things like removing unnecessary clicks for declining.

SoggyShorts

1. Negotiate: 2000 gold 130 supplies 4 steel Fight: Easy peasy. Throw 5 treants at it, no losses
2. Negotiate: 6000 gold, 15 steel Fight: No matter what you do, you're going to lose a treant (or get wiped)
3. Negotiate: 1000 gold, 50 supplies, 2 steel Fight: Easy peasy. 5 treants, no losses
4. Negotiate: 3000 gold, 150 supplies, 10 steel Fight: Lose a treant, probably some archers
OK, combine this all into one encounter and you have this choice:
Negotiate: 12000 gold, 330 supplies, 31 steel OR lose 2 treants and some archers
BUT if you have 4 encounters as above, you could fight 1 and 3 and negotiate 2 and 4. So the cost to you as a new player is 9000 gold, 25 steel and 150 supplies, with no troop losses. That's a significant savings on this province.
Ah I see where the misunderstanding is. No, it would not go like that.
To understand how the change would work imagine the above encounters simply change to provinces.
So now instead of fighting 2 encounters and negotiating 2 encounters you'd fight 2 provinces and negotiate 2 provinces.

You end up with very similar costs and losses after 4 provinces as you would have with 16 encounters currently.

DeletedUser

Perhaps you aren't familiar with the term? Quality Of Life is a gaming term. QoL
Yes I am and it's not based on how players are choosing to play a certain aspect of the game. If someone is choosing to do a lot of tournaments, that's on them. Tournaments are optional.

In wow, people spent a lot of time in the game trying to find a flight path to a city, there was no game play just running around and they changed this and put in more flight paths. Same with their portals, in the Draenei starting area it took forever to get to stormwind unless the faire is in town. My time was spent running through a portal, waiting for a ship and then riding the ship. I wasn't really playing during that time, just slogging through things to get to where I needed. If you spend time in a game not really playing that's when Quality of Life changes are needed.

To be honest, I'm not sure if Crowella is talking about tournaments or provinces on the map. While I completely understand what she's saying because i like the option of catering or battling and can determine if it's better to cater or battle with each of my encounters and I do agree with Crazywizard. But what I do I care lol I'm not even in a fellowship.

SoggyShorts

If you spend time in a game not really playing that's when Quality of Life changes are needed.
Yup, and clicking 4x as often as needed is not "playing" imo.
I do agree with Crazywizard. But what I do I care lol I'm not even in a fellowship.
Excellent. One player who thinks 2.5h per day of tournaments is reasonable and one who chooses to not even be in a FS agree on how perfect the current set up is.:rolleyes:
If someone is choosing to do a lot of tournaments, that's on them. Tournaments are optional.
1. Literally, everything in this game is optional.
2. Something being optional is not a valid reason for not improving it.

DeletedUser

Yup, and clicking 4x as often as needed is not "playing" imo.
You're still playing. That's your choice to click that many times. It's no different then running a dungeon over and over again and then complaining it takes too long.

Everything in this game is not really optional, the events are and activities are but building your city, not so much. If quality of life changes are needed it would be for building your city.

And I was an avid tournament player before. I didn't need to do every encounter and I did it when there was 8 encounters per province and only played until I had the amount of relics I thought I needed to get through to the next tournament.

DeletedUser2818

Everyone who participated got a Fire Phoenix. Not everyone chose to place & grow it. ;)

+1 for the idea.
Yeah, I misphrased that. For the record, I wasn't pointing that out because I got the "wrong ones", I'm very happy with my 2 stage 10 Fire Chickens. Still, I do believe that those who picked the "wrong ones" deserve to have them buffed however, especially the Aureate one. Poor Golden Chicken's absolutely atrocious.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

You're still playing. That's your choice to click that many times. It's no different then running a dungeon over and over again and then complaining it takes too long.
No. It's like asking for the dungeon to be 4x harder/longer so I only have to do it once a day instead of 4 times.

DeletedUser2817

Ah I see where the misunderstanding is. No, it would not go like that.
To understand how the change would work imagine the above encounters simply change to provinces.
So now instead of fighting 2 encounters and negotiating 2 encounters you'd fight 2 provinces and negotiate 2 provinces.

You end up with very similar costs and losses after 4 provinces as you would have with 16 encounters currently.

Except that very new players don't HAVE 4 provinces. They have one. Or two. I'm a chapter 3 player and have 3-5 provinces of any given type open. I'm sorry, but any way you cut it, your logic doesn't work.

DeletedUser2817

Which is precisely why I don't rely on just my experience and get feedback from dozens of FS members as well.

I looked you up on Elvenstats. Other than the player "elvenstats", which is inactive, you have one player in all your fellowships who is in chapter 4. She's been playing for six months. There's another in chapter 5, but median scores tend to be around 300k If you are relying on information from dozens of Fellowship members about early gameplay, they may also have a skewed perspective. Of course they may also have lower-chapter "test" accounts in other alliances, but those are played differently than a new player account, as I've mentioned before.

DeletedUser

No. It's like asking for the dungeon to be 4x harder/longer so I only have to do it once a day instead of 4 times.
So are you asking for tournaments to be harder? We all know what happened to Wildstar when they made dungeons incredibly hard to cater to the hard core gamers.