• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament changes

edeba

Yup. Inno clearly thought this would help new players get relic boosts but the opposite is true.
Focussing on 3/9 tournaments used to get you more boosted relics than spreading out your troops/goods across 9/9 weeks will now.
You're basically "wasting" 66% on relics you don't really need (as a new city)

What this change does that is good for new players is giving access to relics for CC spells all the time which of course makes some Event quests more doable.
Bunk...

With the way the tournament gets so much more difficult fast, you can't do the same kind of push you used to. The new tournament slowed that down, but, evening the play out actually ends up using less resources over all. So instead of doing 9 extra on the 3 boosted tournaments, do 3 extra on all 9 and you actually use less resources then what the extra 9 cost, and could probably do 4 extra instead of 3 for the same resources..

PaNonymeB

Getting 700% boosts is just an early stage of the game, after doing that all those boosted relics become useless forever.
Excluding them form spells costs make sense only for beginners, but not for chapters 7+, especially when sentient and ascended boosts arrive.
Actually there is a (marginal) use of boosted relics above 500, which is levelling Ancient wonders. But for some reason in 2019 (chapter 14 release) they thought "nah, boosted relics should be useless above 500" and decided to make the new wonders need no boosted relics.

Karvest

So instead of doing 9 extra on the 3 boosted tournaments, do 3 extra on all 9 and you actually use less resources then what the extra 9 cost, and could probably do 4 extra instead of 3 for the same resources..
doing 9 extra on 3 boosted tourneys gave you 243 of each relic you need,
doing 3 extra on all 9 now would give you only 81 of each relic you need (+ 162 you don't).

edeba

It's the same concern for newbies... Earlier you could scout and conquer boosted provinces to get more of them available on boosted tourneys. And get all your 700% within 2-3 of 9 weeks cycles. Now you don't have that choice and you'll get your 700% later.
That's a definite disadvantage for newer cities. I completely focused on getting boosted provinces open for boosted tournaments, but I think there is a pattern to how the relics show up, so you can do some planning for that to help.

DeletedUser3726

The point is that if you play all 9 weeks, you get the same amount of relics, but instead of only getting a boost in production every 9 weeks you now het a more gradual improvement each week. this way you don't feel holden back, because 1 of your boost is 500% and the other only 200% because you havent got the correct week yet, or because you missed a week because you where sick and now have to wait another 9 weeks for any improvement.

This imbalances your production between T1, T2 and T3 a lot. with this approach it should be more gradual, and each of the T1,2,3 should be leveling about evently. so no crazy differences.

Thats the whole point of this change. I am pretty sure they see in there data certain player retention patterns thay are trying to adress here.
We have seen plenty of changes recently that shows they are working hard for it.

For example not to long ago (3-4 months or so?) they overhauled the tech tree for chapter 1-2-3 to make it "quicker", they also overhauled the questline and the tutorail for these chapters. they questline is now much more focussed on making it easier, with rewards like standard goods, timeboosters and diamonds, and it's also be more like a tutorail, you get something and then a quest that somewhat needs those rewars or those rewards help you achieve it quicker.

So it all makes sense.
The changes are an improvement for brand new cities but as a ch 5 magic dust boosted player who's been waiting for 8 weeks for this tourney I'm mad about the consequences of changes like this.
I decided to try out the changes myself and built a brand new city to see how the allocation of relics plays out. I like the way they've revamped ch 1 but am still at a loss as to how I'm supposed to join a fellowship given only one single fellowship shows up in the app and requests to join have gone ignored. I've had to make my own so I can tourney but there's nothing in the tech or help that explains why I can't join fellowships

DeletedUser3726

All the enchantments except for CCs have been changed to needing only boost+1 relicts. This is a very usefull change in my view. So far the tier3 boost+2 relict has been overdemanded. It was needed for CCs, MMs and petfood. Now it' only CCs and petfood. So, when we run out we can still craft MMs instead.
This change would mean cherry picking provinces to only go after the 6 relics we used to need is not going to work is it? And I'm talking specifically for smaller cities who are going to struggle to do 1640 tourney points every week.

aliceFalling

apart from not being happy with the relics change , what i'm finding very unpleasant is the greatly reduced number of spells. i have been using them in my DA for manna, but this reduction makes having a DA very iffy to say the least.

Jammin

anyone has information about those medals yet?

I do not see it anywhere? So I still have no clue about the requirments
i would like to know that too

The trophies are available at the end of the tournament in the community overview directly under the tower medals.
Compare the community overview in your community on Beta with that on your live world. An adjustment has already been made.
Which trophy your community receives at the end of the tournament depends on how far or how many boxes your community has won.

Based on the current game files, we should have tournament trophies, similarly to the current trophies from spire. As we are now receiving bronze trophies for 4, silver for 8 and golden for 12 spire milestones, we will be most likely receveiving trophies for reaching 5, 10 and more than 10 tournament chests (these are the current numbers).

Last edited:

CrazyWizard

The changes are an improvement for brand new cities but as a ch 5 magic dust boosted player who's been waiting for 8 weeks for this tourney I'm mad about the consequences of changes like this.
I decided to try out the changes myself and built a brand new city to see how the allocation of relics plays out. I like the way they've revamped ch 1 but am still at a loss as to how I'm supposed to join a fellowship given only one single fellowship shows up in the app and requests to join have gone ignored. I've had to make my own so I can tourney but there's nothing in the tech or help that explains why I can't join fellowships
Beta is not a really dynamic server, so it makes sense you cannot easily join a fellowship. the active group of players is tight and very small.
Yes it might suck if you waited for 8 weeks for this tournament, but you also have to understand that it makes no sense to not make any changes because someone will be affected.
They have to make changes they think will improve there buisness case in the long run, those short term pains might suck but it's temporary and the 10 players that might quit because of it will be outstripped by the 1000 they will keep because of it.

DeletedUser3726

Beta is not a really dynamic server, so it makes sense you cannot easily join a fellowship. the active group of players is tight and very small.
Yes it might suck if you waited for 8 weeks for this tournament, but you also have to understand that it makes no sense to not make any changes because someone will be affected.
They have to make changes they think will improve there buisness case in the long run, those short term pains might suck but it's temporary and the 10 players that might quit because of it will be outstripped by the 1000 they will keep because of it.
I'm not sure what it was about my comment that implied I expect to not be affected by changes. This is beta after all. If I was so averse to change then this is totally the wrong place to be, right?
That said, this is the place to give feedback. Understanding how poorly coordinated/timed changes affect players is important for Inno to hear about.
The jury is still out as to whether these changes are the life saver you make them out to be. I'm only a few days in on my new city build to test the relic allocation and my first tourney is getting me md & gem relics - neither of which will be my boosted T3 but like I said, way too early to cry foul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earwen1

On the rewarded relics.
In the 'old' way it could be a pain to have to wait for weeks until the relics that you really needed came around in the tournament. But this was also very rewarding! The price that you really waited for is so much more pleasant to get!
At the other had: yes, it is a good idea to help new cities getting started.

Why not have the best of both ways.
For example in the dust-tournament: have 50% of the relics for dust, the other 50% at random!

DeletedUser3726

On the rewarded relics.
In the 'old' way it could be a pain to have to wait for weeks until the relics that you really needed came around in the tournament. But this was also very rewarding! The price that you really waited for is so much more pleasant to get!
At the other had: yes, it is a good idea to help new cities getting started.

Why not have the best of both ways.
For example in the dust-tournament: have 50% of the relics for dust, the other 50% at random!
That's far too sensible!

little bee

in the first round, first two pages there were fewer, pretty sure.
No, you are wrong. However, the additional KP means that the rewards can not all be shown at once anymore. There is now a slidebar in the reward window after completing an encounter. Personally, I find that mildly annoying.

Lelanya

in the first round, first two pages there were fewer, pretty sure.
That's just untrue, I kept records. We got a PoP at 1, 4 and 7, then at 10 and up. 1KP was added to every non KP province. The relics cycled in order and increased at the usual time.

aliceFalling

That's just untrue, I kept records. We got a PoP at 1, 4 and 7, then at 10 and up. 1KP was added to every non KP province. The relics cycled in order and increased at the usual time.
already answered little bee on that...anyway thanks

edeba

apart from not being happy with the relics change , what i'm finding very unpleasant is the greatly reduced number of spells. i have been using them in my DA for manna, but this reduction makes having a DA very iffy to say the least.
Greatly reduced spells came from the tournament changes that so drastically cut the number of provinces that you can do.

All of the analysis on the overall effect of the tournament changes are drastically under estimated because players had a lot of built up resources and with it being in about a year range since they killed access to spells, I imagine a lot of players have less spells today then they did a year ago.

They built in heavy penalty for having AWs at the same time drastically reduced their benefit, like you've pointed out, lack of enough spells makes the DA questionable. Other AW potentially hurt by the restriction on spells are the prosperity tower, lighthouse of the good neighborhood, and required goods go up so much from AWs, the MM with elvenar trade center isn't as useful either.

The increasing tournament difficulty are too steep, the AW penalties are too steep and I think the problems are only being to show up.