• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament changes

Pauly7

Previously I was able to get sufficient relics from doing 6 rounds of 6 provinces. Now I have to do 9 every week.
That's true. If you work in less provinces than 9 each week then it will create an ongoing problem.
it's true but if you only did 1 third of tourney in the previous version( only those for CC ) , the new system is far more costly because you get 2/3 of unused relics
That's also true. I hadn't factored this tactic either.

So, I guess over 9 weeks then the numbers of one relic type should even out (and potentially be less costly), but only if you always do some factor of 9 provinces each week and play each tournament equally.

SoggyShorts

I cannot understand why people think they will take longer for their boost. It will pretty much take the same time.
  • In the old system, you banked your troops and goods to do a big push every 3 weeks.
  • In the new system, you have to do the tournament every week, and 66% of effort is "wasted" on non-boosted relics
Even though it is cheaper to do a lower number of provinces every week instead of a high number every 3 weeks, that does not make up for the 66% wastage.

For casual players it's fine, perhaps even better, but for those who used strategy and planning this is a nerf.

Pauly7

Even though it is cheaper to do a lower number of provinces every week instead of a high number every 3 weeks, that does not make up for the 66% wastage.
Though playing Devil's Advocate it isn't complete wastage because you still may need those non-boosted relics for other reasons.

SoggyShorts

Over 9 weeks relics would become even more unbalanced even if you can manage 36*6 every tourney. Just because you can't use 1/3 of relics at all (boosted ones) and don't want to use another 1/3 (for CCs) or even 4/9 (for MMs)...
Indeed. I was focused on new cities and didn't think how much this will suck for me.
I was happy doing 1600 points most weeks with a push for my MM weeks. now I need to do the same every week I guess? bleh.
Though playing Devil's Advocate it isn't complete wastage because you still may need those non-boosted relics for other reasons.
Yeah that's why I put it in quotes the first time. I guess I needed to do so both times. Still, off-boost relics have such a low value compared to boosted when your city is new that I'm comfortable saying wastage. ;)

CrazyWizard

It's the same concern for newbies... Earlier you could scout and conquer boosted provinces to get more of them available on boosted tourneys. And get all your 700% within 2-3 of 9 weeks cycles. Now you don't have that choice and you'll get your 700% later.
yes but on the other hand you arent handicapped for weeks in a row if you started in the week the marble tournaments start. as it will take 9 weeks before you can push for a decent marble bonus production.

now it does not matter in which week you start, once you unlock the tournaments your production will gradually increase. limiting your penalty.
This is an obvious change to get a better player retention in the first weeks of the game.

Killy

• In the old system, you banked your troops and goods to do a big push every 3 weeks.
  • In the new system, you have to do the tournament every week, and 66% of effort is "wasted" on non-boosted relics

For casual players it's fine, perhaps even better, but for those who used strategy and planning this is a nerf.

Might be, but we don't really have any math on this or did anyone put in the effort? Although the 66% isn't all waste, you get more Kps this way and more relicts for your academy etc.

little bee

Previously I was able to get sufficient relics from doing 6 rounds of 6 provinces. Now I have to do 9 every week. There is no gain for me now will there be for most other pre-ch 6 cities. I had to compensate today and do 11 provinces because I'm MD boosted and need to increase my boost to pay for the extra provinces I'll need to do every week. Catering province 10 and 11 today used 1/3 of my T3 goods. I have no idea how I am supposed to meet my weekly obligations now.
That is not true. If you always do exactly 6 rounds of 6 provinces then after 9 weeks you will get exactly the same number of each relict in both systems. The only difference is that in the old system you get all the dust relicts during the dust tournament and in the new system you would a few each in 6 different tournaments. Not doing 9 provinces means that you will not get every relict in every tournament, but it will still be smoothed out a little.

The only way to get a different number of relicts after 9 weeks is to do different number of provinces in different tournaments.

Pauly7

That is not true. If you always do exactly 6 rounds of 6 provinces then after 9 weeks you will get exactly the same number of each relict in both systems. The only difference is that in the old system you get all the dust relicts during the dust tournament and in the new system you would a few each in 6 different tournaments. Not doing 9 provinces means that you will not get every relict in every tournament, but it will still be smoothed out a little.

The only way to get a different number of relicts after 9 weeks is to do different number of provinces in different tournaments.
I didn't think this was right and I didn't believe it until I made a table... but what do I know! :D

Tourny 1Tourny 2Tourny 3Tourny 4Tourny 5Tourny 6Tourny 7Tourny 8Tourny 9
Province 1marblesteelplankscrystalscrollsSilkDustElixirGems
Province 2steelplankscrystalscrollsSilkDustElixirGemsMarble
Province 3plankscrystalscrollsSilkDustElixirGemsMarbleSteel
Province 4crystalscrollsSilkDustElixirGemsMarbleSteelPlanks
Province 5scrollsSilkDustElixirGemsMarbleSteelPlanksCrystal
Province 6SilkDustElixirGemsMarbleSteelPlanksCrystalScrolls

DeletedUser3726

Yes and for 3 of those tourneys I get no relics of any given type. As per Pauly's table there are no gem relics until tourney 4. Too bad if that's my boosted T3 or they're needed in the MA.

little bee

Yes and for 3 of those tourneys I get no relics of any given type. As per Pauly's table there are no gem relics until tourney 4. Too bad if that's my boosted T3 or they're needed in the MA.
That why I said there will be hard transition time. But this problem can only affect the 9 weeks directly after the change takes place. After that it will all have balanced itself out.

Enevhar Aldarion

I know a lot of people are not sure to be upset or not about the changes, but just a small reminder that the first 10 provinces are the easiest to complete when fighting, because all the enemies are either 1-star or 2-star. There are no 3-star enemies until province 11.

Doing the first 10 provinces gets you 2 provinces for the current relic and 1 province for each of the other 8. 5 stars in 10 provinces is also 2100 points, or 2700 if you do all 6 stars, so well more than the 1600 to be a full participant in a 10-chest fellowship that has 25 members.

I know there are players out there who have a 0 cooldown for the tournament, between the Polar Bear and Timewarp, but are any of them on here and have already run through all 6 stars, to get a count of total relics per province?

My Beta city just started chapter 13 and Dust will become my T3 Ascended boost, but I am still under 300 Dust relics. At the rate I have been collecting them, with this new change, I am wondering if I will make it permanently over 500 relics for max boost by the time this city reaches chapter 20. Oh, and that is with doing about 4000 points per tournament for a while now. I just make a lot of CCs. lol

little bee

I know there are players out there who have a 0 cooldown for the tournament, between the Polar Bear and Timewarp, but are any of them on here and have already run through all 6 stars, to get a count of total relics per province?

My Beta city just started chapter 13 and Dust will become my T3 Ascended boost, but I am still under 300 Dust relics. At the rate I have been collecting them, with this new change, I am wondering if I will make it permanently over 500 relics for max boost by the time this city reaches chapter 20. Oh, and that is with doing about 4000 points per tournament for a while now. I just make a lot of CCs. lol
So far as I have seen, the number of relicts hasn't changed, just the type. So, as long as you do at least as many provinces on an average tournament as you do on a dust tournament, you will not get any less dust relicts than with the old system. (You might even get more since dust is the hardest tournament.) But there will be a painfull transition during which you will indeed have fewer dust relicts.

DeletedUser3726

So far as I have seen, the number of relicts hasn't changed, just the type. So, as long as you do at least as many provinces on an average tournament as you do on a dust tournament, you will not get any less dust relicts than with the old system. (You might even get more since dust is the hardest tournament.) But there will be a painfull transition during which you will indeed have fewer dust relicts.

Here's how my boosts will look after the tourney.

R1R2R3R4R5R6Total no. of relics
Prov 1 MD1112229
Prov 5 Plank22333417
Prov 7 Scroll33344421

Boosts before & after tourney:
T1: 644% (424 relics) / 661% (441 relics)
T2: 661% (446 relics) / 678% (467 relics)
T3: 443% (211 relics) / 453% (220 relics)

Under the old system I would have gained 105 MD relics (7 provinces x 6 rounds), giving a boost of 547% (and 1 relic shy of the next level 557%). Next tournament MD will move to province 2 which will give me 11 relics, the tourney after that will give me 13 and so on. It will take nearly 2 months to gain the relics I lost because of this change. The increase in T1 and T2 boosts do not compensate for that loss.

I understand that it evens out and I can see the benefits of the change but also note that the loss now will have ongoing detrimental effects because I have to compensate for under performing T3. This means I have less resource flexibility. If I can't make enough T3 to complete the spire each week or clear 9 provinces then I lose out on rewards and more relics. If I lose out on spire rewards then upgrades will take longer (less time boosters) with greater down time (loss of production) and the only way around this is to build more inefficient T3 manufactories which further depletes my resources. The consequences are not just in the loss of relics but in what those relics provided.

Karvest

Getting 700% boosts is just an early stage of the game, after doing that all those boosted relics become useless forever.
Excluding them form spells costs make sense only for beginners, but not for chapters 7+, especially when sentient and ascended boosts arrive.

Jammin

From my point of view, with this system it takes just as long to get the bonus relics as in the old one, with the difference that new players now have to play every tournament.
I read "Better player retention" here somewhere. Yep, that's probably an obvious point, if you as a new player want relics, you now have to play tournaments every week, instead of maybe three times in two months.

"Especially to help early players acquire different types of relics more easily instead of having to wait over 2 months to get relics from a specific type."
Yup, because all relics are valuable to a new player.
the correct translation is probably ...
"Especially we want to bind new players to the game, if they want to progress, they have to play every tournament instead of just coming when it suits them."

I know I'm a bad witch!