• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

meggi12

[

By the way, my Live city just made it to the final quest of chapter 16 today, about three months after it was released to the Live servers. All that extra KP from the tournaments was part of what got me through the chapter that quickly, and I do not even feel like I was rushing anything. This new system will definitely slow me down in chapter 17, but I believe that is part of the reason for this update, to slow late-game players down, so we do not get bored and quit while waiting for the next chapter to be released.
I can assure you, you will not get bored waiting for the new chapter, in a case you have missed the little memo in a live world, you are going to need 7000 KP's for the chapter 17.If you are planing on doing just a 15-20 provinces on the new tournament, it might take a while.

Enevhar Aldarion

I can assure you, you will not get bored waiting for the new chapter, in a case you have missed the little memo in a live world, you are going to need 7000 KP's for the chapter 17.If you are planing on doing just a 15-20 provinces on the new tournament, it might take a while.

That is what boosted regular goods are for at this point. Even with the goods the research required, I probably still spent a few million of my three boosted goods on KP, and I still have over 4 million of each left. That is part of why it only took me three months to finish the chapter.

Lovec Krys

@Enevhar Aldarion Don't worry, you will not be able to do that for every chapter. The KP costs are raising much faster than your goods production (especialy if we are talking about buying thousands of KPs), so once you hit prices like 20K/KP you'll think twice before you buy any.

ErestorX

How do we know they even look at anything outside the German servers? Is there a way to see how many fellowships on every server normally get 40k+ points in the tournament?

I am playing on the german server and my fellowship is averaging more than 130K points, I guess thats more than any other fellowship on that server. But I have never seen a tournament where all players in my fellowship had a score >1000, actually we have quite a few players averaging <1000. Therefore I guess the idea that fellowships reach 40k by doing 25x1600 is not based on what is happening on the german server.

Enevhar Aldarion

@Enevhar Aldarion Don't worry, you will not be able to do that for every chapter. The KP costs are raising much faster than your goods production (especialy if we are talking about buying thousands of KPs), so once you hit prices like 20K/KP you'll think twice before you buy any.

A KP in Marble for me is 25k, Silk is 17k, and Gems is almost 15k. And I still have over 4 million of each. And at least three months to stockpile more before chapter 17 even has a chance to be released to Live.

ErestorX

Now 2 players in the same chapter with the same production do have a different tournament difficulty based on how much they invested in the game, either buying premium expansions or by leveling wonders.

That is the exactly the problem Inno should definitely solve before bringing this update live. In my fellowship on live quite a few competitive players are really enthusiastic about this update in general.

But concerning wonder levels some of them have passed the sweat spot where you have all wonder levels that help you more than they cost you because of the increased troop size already. Luckily I am close to that sweet spot, but their troop size will be up to 153% of mine although almost all of their additional wonder levels do not help them to play more provinces at all.

I can understand that Inno would like to reduce the impact of wonders to allow additional wonderlevels in the future. But reducing the effectiveness of wonders on an individual basis and completely independent of troop size calculation would be a much better way to achieve this. So why do you mess up competitive gameplay even more than before instead? Just because you fear the reaction of the community if you reduce wonder effects in a more transparent way? The cry of rage because of that would pass, but the lack of fairness in the competition you generate with this calculation does not!

With expansions there is definitely the same problem. Earlier in this discussion I doubted that I could get enough goods out of the roughly 50% of my space for which the best possible use is to generate goods for catering. Concerning production of t1-t3 that was correct but thanks to the information @MinMax Gamer linked earlier I realised that those are not the limiting factor for me. The problem is, that Orc production would be far more limiting altough I already have >40 armories and mana would be even more limiting than Orcs because mana production does not really scale well with more space. The same goes for gold. Therefore the fact that space not needed for military purposes does have almost no impact on the tournament result of top players remains unchanged.

Currently that would not be much of a problem, because the disadvantage of having all premium expansions is limited. The most efficient tourney account with roughly 1/3 of normal expansions and all premium expansions placed does not exist yet. But that was the same for accounts without optional troop research at first.

And again I can see no reason for including number of expansions into troop size calculation. It correlates quite well with the chapter/position in the research tree, therefore you could stick to that. The exception are people pausing research very early and scouting until the orcs stop them. But that will be less of a problem now than it was with the last big tournament change, because they will not have enough provinces to seriously compete in the tournament anway.

To wrap things up:

If you are serious concerning this goal stated in the announcement:

"However, one key difference is that we want to ensure that every progression factor will still bring you more in benefits, than it would "cost" you in terms of added costs in the Tournaments."

You should come up with a new formular for troop size without penalizing wonder levels or number of expansions at all. While it might be possible to come up with a formula including these factors that meets the goal for the average player in each chapter you will never be able to meet the goal for all players with a formula similar to the current one.

Last edited:

kkk3

Hi all,
this is my feedback. I'm at VII chapter.

1) One encounter per province is very good
2) Always 5 enemy squad: I prefer random number of enemy
3) Random enemy type or fixed enemy: for me it is the same
4) Battle Difficult/cost: it is good to link them to the city progress, maybe you need to adjust the slope of the curve
5) Bonus chests are a great idea, but they need to be reachable

I've done 15 provinces and 3 stars for now and I got 1620 point. No so bad, no so difficult.

I think it can work for those who don't play many provinces.

The first 6 provinces can be played automatically, the following ones must be
chosen according to the type of enemies whether to fight manually, automatically or negotiate.

This is the negative point for me, because fighting in manual costs time and I don't always have it.
On the other hand it is true that not being able to go up a lot with the provinces, the number of manual fights is not much.

With this type of setting, it would be very useful to have a preview of the battlefield.

Lastly, although negotiating is not my first choice, I have noticed that the demand for coins and materials is quite high.
This could create some difficulties for those who, like me, fight in tournaments and negotiate on the spire, since the spire really requires a lot of coins and materials and it must also be considered that in the previous system I could choose to negotiate only 1 out of 4 encounters

Regards

Marindor

Hi everyone,

First of all: Thank you very much once again for your active involvement. While I'm not able to answer all of your questions just now, I'd like to explain a bit more about this:

Now 2 players in the same chapter with the same production do have a different tournament difficulty based on how much they invested in the game, either buying premium expansions or by leveling wonders.

How is this different compared to the old situation, and what is the reasoning behind this move, and why does it specifically target the biggest elvenar fans that are the most active and in case of expansions are the players that fund the game?

Let me start by saying that we're not trying to "target" a specific group of players. What we're trying to do with the new difficulty calculation, is make sure that the difficulty calculation matches the actual player progression. To oversimplify it: Let's say player A produces 2000 crystals a day and needs to pay 200 for catering 1 province, player B who produces 20.000 crystals a day should need to pay 2000 for that province, to make it relatively just as challenging. Once again, that's of course oversimplifying it, but that's the basic of this idea.

In a game like this, player B can produce these 20.000 crystals per day in multiple ways. E.g.

- It can be a high tech player with high level manufactories and no premium expansions.
- It can be a mid tech player with some premium expansions, therefore having 2-3 extra manufactories compared to others
- It can be a low chapter player with very high level AW and therefore getting more bonuses and producing more

What we ideally don't want to do, is favor one play style over the other. By just tying difficulty to chapters, we would basically encourage players to stay in low chapters and massively boost their AW without progressing in the game. This would also encourage using push accounts and creating extra accounts with which you do nothing besides building some AW, manufactories or armories and use these resources to boost the tournaments. While we don't have the illusion that we will be able to get rid of pushing entirely, we at least don't want to encourage it or make it attractive.

Therefore our aim is, for example for players who put 3000 KP in their AW, to make it just as hard/challenging as for someone who put these same 3000 KP in their tech tree. This is not to "punish" anyone, but it's a way to try and make it fair play for everyone, no matter your play style. I'm not saying we're there yet and we have found the ideal solution to everything, but that's what we're aiming to achieve.

At the same time, we feel it's important to make sure progression feels rewarding. In other words: Progression should always give you more benefit than the negative impact it has on difficulty. The problem is a bit that it may not alway be perceived that way. If you take out a single factor of the whole difficulty calculation and emphasize on that, it might seem as if you're punished for e.g. leveling your AW or for purchasing premium expansions. Nonetheless, these things always give you way more benefits than the impact they have. For example:

- If you're a chapter 10 player with 8 AW on level 20, you'll have a way easier time in the tournament than if you're that same player without these 8 AW. It might sound contradictive, for because of these 160 AW levels your total difficulty will be higher, but these AW will give you so much bonuses, extra units, resources etc that overall they will help you have an easier time in the tournaments. Even AW that aren't directly related to battles or resources, e.g. when they only provide population, will save you so much city space which you don't need for residences anymore and can now use to place extra manufactories, armories, event buildings producing resources/units/orcs, that overall they will always help you more than the relatively low impact they have on tournament difficulties.
- The same goes for the premium expansions: If you're that chapter 10 player and you have 10 premium expansions which give you a lot of extra space to build extra armories/manufactories/event buildings, this is worth far more than the impact these expansions have on the total difficulty (which is even less than regular expansions have). Here it is the same thing: Would you try the same tournament without these 10 premium expansions, the overall required units/resources may be lower, but you'll still have a much harder time in that tournament, because you don't have all this space for extra buildings, which still give you a lot more benefit than they cost you in terms of difficulty.

So this is the overall goal of this system: Reward progress, but still make sure that the challenge stays there on all levels. Overall of course the game and therefore the tournaments should be made a bit easier by progressing (hence the examples above: you'll have an easier time in the tournaments with AW than without them, or with premium expansions than without them), but we don't want to make the game e.g. entirely pay to win, where you buy 20 premium expansions and e.g. get all the rewards basically for free every week for you and your fellowship. We don't think that's a fair approach either, neither is it fun if the challenge is totally taken away because you have high level AW or purchased expansions. Of course, some players want everything for free and would be fine with that, but games do need to have a certain challenge to stay enticing in the long run.

That being said, what we see from the feedback now is of course we are not fully there yet (which is to be expected after just a first external test run). So far we see the feedback from casual and mid tech players is basiccaly that the new system is working fine for them. They don't have too hard a time, often even get a bit more points than previously, and with a lot less tedious clicking.

What we also see is that a lot of high tech or very fanatical players feel the difficulty curve is too steep, required resources have increased too much for them and the rewards are not in line with that. This is the "upper end" of our player base, so to speak. I read a post of someone who said it's kind of intimidating to post their feedback as a casual mid-tech player between all these big, fanatic, die hard gamers. We should keep in mind, especially here on Beta, that we have a very serious core group of players who are often very high ranked on their Live servers, really into trying to analyze and understand all formulas, and very vocal when something gets introduced that doesn't directly benefit them. And while it's certainly good and valuable feedback we should look into, we also shouldn't lose sight of the fact that our main player base consist of players who play very casually, maybe login once or twice a day and are not that much into doing all the math and stuff. They enjoy the game in a relaxed way, while others get their fun out of calculating the most efficient way to create their cities and produce their resources and such. The same is what e.g. happens with events: A lot of players just like to play events casually, win some nice looking buildings and have fun with the graphics and the extra incentive, while for other die hard gamers, the first thing they do is look at the stats of the main reward building, compare it with previous event buildings and base their opinion of the whole event purely on how valuable they feel the reward building is and/or if they can win a Wishing Well.

Neither play style is good or bad. As you know, I love you all, even though we sometimes have to step in and guide the discussions a bit when things get too heated. That's not a problem, we all have our love for the game, both the creators, the players and the support team. We should just keep in mind that not everyone plays the same way and different players can experience things in a different way.

So, back to where I was: Right now we see that for the biggest group of players (casual, mid-tech) the changes are basically working fine. They'd like to see a bit more variation in the tournaments again, also to be able to plan more and come up with a strategy with their FS. We are currently looking into bringing this back a bit more. When we have more specific info on it, we will certainly let you know, but we're looking at ways to e.g. make certain unit types appear more in certain tournaments, so that you can plan on that again and also to bring the value of the expiring battle bonus buildings back a bit, which was indeed also a valid remark.

We also see that for this core high-end and die hard player group, the vast majority of the feedback is that in their situations the new setup is too hard, requires too many losses, doesn't feel rewarding enough and has too steep of a difficulty curve. I can't share anything specific on that yet, as we're still investigating all your examples, analyzing the data and are working on figuring it all out. As I said before: We won't rush the implementation of this on Live, and we want to do it right, so we're taking the time to find all the edge cases and make sure the balance is right in this "upper end" of our player base as well.

I hope this at least answered some of the questions, specifically about the reasoning behind it all. As I said before: We're not there yet and we know that, and we also know that we'll never be able to reach a totally ideal situation, but we're trying hard to get as close to that as we can. Thank you for bearing with us, staying patient and providing us with your feelings and experiences as that's what helps us most right now.

Verde

I hope this at least answered some of the questions, specifically about the reasoning behind it all. As I said before: We're not there yet and we know that, and we also know that we'll never be able to reach a totally ideal situation, but we're trying hard to get as close to that as we can. Thank you for bearing with us, staying patient and providing us with your feelings and experiences as that's what helps us most right now.
Thank you for the clarification, @Marindor, but can I just ask ... what of the above was actually wrong with the previous version?

FieryArien

Thank you @Marindor for such a detailed post. Much appreciated!

There is one feedback you didn’t mention (from what I noticed) and that’s that there’s huge number of fellowships with uneven distribution of points. Is this being discussed too? Personally I don’t believe the “underperforming” players will score so much more in the new system to compensate for the reduced score of the “overperforming” players. But that’s just my opinion.

It looks like these two contrasting groups you described are considered independently. What I’d like to hear is if they are also considered as a mixed group (as they are in the fellowships). Thanks.

Marindor

Ah sorry, yes absolutely. We know and understand that situation and are also looking at it like that. We know the 25 *6 * 6 provinces is very theoretically and that most FS who are active in tournaments have 1 or 2 high end players basically pulling the rest through it a lot. That's also what we're looking into more deeply at the moment.

Yogi Dave

So, back to where I was: Right now we see that for the biggest group of players (casual, mid-tech) the changes are basically working fine. They'd like to see a bit more variation in the tournaments again, also to be able to plan more and come up with a strategy with their FS. We are currently looking into bringing this back a bit more. When we have more specific info on it, we will certainly let you know, but we're looking at ways to e.g. make certain unit types appear more in certain tournaments, so that you can plan on that again and also to bring the value of the expiring battle bonus buildings back a bit, which was indeed also a valid remark.
We also see that for this core high-end and die hard player group, the vast majority of the feedback is that in their situations the new setup is too hard,
Your entire post was well thought out. Thanks for explaining in more detail the hows and whys of the changes, and especially what you have heard and are looking how to better balance the system for the different player groups. I like your comments about bring more variation in the tourneys again. They are a bit vague, but it's hard to express what hasn't been done yet. Just that it is being looked into is sufficient at the moment.

I'm looking forward to next week's tourney and seeing the direction it takes us. As you also said, this isn't going to be rushed to live which means, we will be asking for more tweaks. We can be a difficult crowd as a comic might say. Hopefully we will be seeing the balance become more real.

DeletedUser3039

- It can be a high tech player with high level manufactories and no premium expansions.
- It can be a mid tech player with some premium expansions, therefore having 2-3 extra manufactories compared to others
- It can be a low chapter player with very high level AW and therefore getting more bonuses and producing more

What we ideally don't want to do, is favor one play style over the other.

This is fun. Why do you think that I should put something on the purchased extension that will help me in the tournament or the spire? Maybe I buy them for a guest race(I hope you remember what this game is about) or just for a beautiful useless building. Why the difficulty of player A and В should differ, all other things being equal. What is the point of development then? Both players will get the same thing, but one will spend less effort, time or money on it. Excellent logic.

DeletedUser3314

... What we also see is that a lot of high tech or very fanatical players feel the difficulty curve is too steep, required resources have increased too much for them and the rewards are not in line with that. ...
Same thing happened in the Spire and it was only after introducing extra rewards in the form of FS rewards that more people went playing the Spire.
Maybe after you find out what's wrong with the difficulty curve you can also fixed the Spire difficulty curve at bit. Especially Orcs catering cost are through the roof just like in the tournament. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

CrazyWizard

Hi everyone,

First of all: Thank you very much once again for your active involvement. While I'm not able to answer all of your questions just now, I'd like to explain a bit more about this:

Let me start by saying that we're not trying to "target" a specific group of players. What we're trying to do with the new difficulty calculation, is make sure that the difficulty calculation matches the actual player progression. To oversimplify it: Let's say player A produces 2000 crystals a day and needs to pay 200 for catering 1 province, player B who produces 20.000 crystals a day should need to pay 2000 for that province, to make it relatively just as challenging. Once again, that's of course oversimplifying it, but that's the basic of this idea.

In a game like this, player B can produce these 20.000 crystals per day in multiple ways. E.g.

What we ideally don't want to do, is favor one play style over the other. By just tying difficulty to chapters, we would basically encourage players to stay in low chapters and massively boost their AW without progressing in the game. This would also encourage using push accounts and creating extra accounts with which you do nothing besides building some AW, manufactories or armories and use these resources to boost the tournaments. While we don't have the illusion that we will be able to get rid of pushing entirely, we at least don't want to encourage it or make it attractive.

Therefore our aim is, for example for players who put 3000 KP in their AW, to make it just as hard/challenging as for someone who put these same 3000 KP in their tech tree. This is not to "punish" anyone, but it's a way to try and make it fair play for everyone, no matter your play style. I'm not saying we're there yet and we have found the ideal solution to everything, but that's what we're aiming to achieve.

At the same time, we feel it's important to make sure progression feels rewarding. In other words: Progression should always give you more benefit than the negative impact it has on difficulty. The problem is a bit that it may not alway be perceived that way. If you take out a single factor of the whole difficulty calculation and emphasize on that, it might seem as if you're punished for e.g. leveling your AW or for purchasing premium expansions. Nonetheless, these things always give you way more benefits than the impact they have. For example:

- If you're a chapter 10 player with 8 AW on level 20, you'll have a way easier time in the tournament than if you're that same player without these 8 AW. It might sound contradictive, for because of these 160 AW levels your total difficulty will be higher, but these AW will give you so much bonuses, extra units, resources etc that overall they will help you have an easier time in the tournaments. Even AW that aren't directly related to battles or resources, e.g. when they only provide population, will save you so much city space which you don't need for residences anymore and can now use to place extra manufactories, armories, event buildings producing resources/units/orcs, that overall they will always help you more than the relatively low impact they have on tournament difficulties.
- The same goes for the premium expansions: If you're that chapter 10 player and you have 10 premium expansions which give you a lot of extra space to build extra armories/manufactories/event buildings, this is worth far more than the impact these expansions have on the total diffulty (which is even less than regular expansions have). Here it is the same thing: Would you try the same tournament without these 10 premium expansions, the overall required units/resources may be lower, but you'll still have a much harder time in that tournament, because you don't have all this space for extra buildings, which still give you a lot more benefit than they cost you in terms of difficulty.

So this is the overall goal of this system: Reward progress, but still make sure that the challenge stays there on all levels. Overall of course progressing should be made a bit easier by progressing (hence the examples above: you'll have an easier time in the tournaments with AW than without them, or with premium expansions than without them), but we don't want to make the game e.g. entirely pay to win, where you buy 20 premium expansions and e.g. get all the rewards basically for free every week for you and your fellowship. We don't think that's a fair approach either, neither is it fun if the challenge is totally taken away because you have high level AW or purchased expansions. Of course, some players want everything for free and would be fine with that, but games do need to have a certain challenge to stay enticing in the long run.

That being said, what we see from the feedback now is of course we are not fully there yet (which is to be expected after just a first external test run). So far we see the feedback from casual and mid tech players is basiccaly that the new system is working fine for them. They don't have too hard a time, often even get a bit more points than previously, and with a lot less tedious clicking.

What we also see is that a lot of high tech or very fanatical players feel the difficulty curve is too steep, required resources have increased too much for them and the rewards are not in line with that. This is the "upper end" of our player base, so to speak. I read a post of someone who said it's kind of intimidating to post their feedback as a casual mid-tech player between all these big, fanatic, die hard gamers. We should keep in mind, especially here on Beta, that we have a very serious core group of players who are often very high ranked on their Live servers, really into trying to analyze and understand all formulas, and very vocal when something gets introduced that doesn't directly benefit them. And while it's certainly good and valuable feedback we should look into, we also shouldn't lose sight of the fact that our main player base consist of players who play very casually, maybe login once or twice a day and are not that much into doing all the math and stuff. They enjoy the game in a relaxed way, while others get their fun out of calculating the most efficient way to create their cities and produce their resources and such. The same is what e.g. happens with events: A lot of players just like to play events casually, win some nice looking buildings and have fun with the graphics and the extra incentive, while for other die hard gamers, the first thing they do is look at the stats of the main reward building, compare it with previous event buildings and base their opinion of the whole event purely on how valuable they feel the reward building is and/or if they can win a Wishing Well.

Neither play style is good or bad. As you know, I love you all, even though we sometimes have to step in and guide the discussions a bit when things get too heated. That's not a problem, we all have our love for the game, both the creators, the players and the support team. We should just keep in mind that not everyone plays the same way and different players can experience things in a different way.

We also see that for this core high-end and die hard player group, the vast majority of the feedback is that in their situations the new setup is too hard, requires too many losses, doesn't feel rewarding enough and has too steep of a difficulty curve. I can't share anything specific on that yet, as we're still investigating all your examples, analyzing the data and are working on figuring it all out. As I said before: We won't rush the implementation of this on Live, and we want to do it right, so we're taking the time to find all the edge cases and make sure the balance is right in this "upper end" of our player base as well.

Thanks for your extensive response,

We are very well aware that "casual" players have a different need than hardcore players, and if this works for them than that ain;t bad/
But this game has rankings, and rankings are there for 1 reason and 1 reason only, and thats to cater the die hard hardcore players who are greatly incented to spend money on the game as a result of that ranking.

I think that micromanaging the "balance" is one of the main issues with this change, as it hits this hardcore group thats very vocal exeptionally hard. I am not talking about how many KP we can get, but more about how difficult it gets compared to other players this is also the reason they are so vocal about it. as a harcore player you can really end up at the wrong end of the stick. where your filosophy of increase is more then your loss just doesnt work.
I like the fact that there was a reason behind it (to avoid push account) but I don't think you can ever make it work, the cure in this case is worse than the disease

As soon as you counter every progression with regression people will get the feeling it doesn't matter anymore how to play the game as it doesn't matter anymore. (feeling wise) this leaves little goals or incentive for these die hard players to keep playing (and spending money)

If you wanted this to work you need to asses every single option, each wonderlevel with each combination of research, and expansion to build a very complex formula, thats difficult to reach as it needs to be of e-sports quality, but since it's a game in constant change this will be unsustainable to maintain such a formula.

Leave options open for people to feel that of they achieve something they will actually achieved it. make sure that if people reach a certain goal, that this goal also feels like reaching it by directly seeing obvious results.

also in the current formula there are at least as many loopholes as in the old one, here to you can build accounts that are not really playing accounts, and even if you are able to patch those loopholes, since this is an evolving game new loopholes will pop up as the game evolves, you can only patch those in a static game. something elvenar ain't.

I hope we can see some serious changes to the way the tournaments are set up in the next iteration we hope to see on beta soon.
One that keeps your goal's for the casuals, but at the same time keeps the the competition between the hardcore players alive as well.

Keeping this competition alive is also good for inno-games own wallet. one of the reasons to spend money for a competitive player is if there is a clear advantage to do so.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

also in the current formula there are at least as many loopholes as in the old one, here to you can build accounts that are not really playing accounts, and even if you are able to patch those loopholes, since this is an evolving game new loopholes will pop up as the game evolves, you can only patch those in a static game. something elvenar ain't.
Good statements. We are humans. Any rule that can be written can be exploited and eventually will. One of the things I like about Elvenar is it isn't static. That makes it frustrating at times, but that is also part of the fun of the game.

Pauly7

Thank you for the in depth explanation @Marindor. I suppose time will tell how this will play out (as far as I'm concerned - I don't have my finger on the pulse regarding stats as some of the posters here).

The idea of premium expansions having a detrimental effect still concerns me. Maybe it's a small effect compared to the supposed benefit, but not every player in every situation will see those benefits that you assume, in a world where everything happens according to how it should do, on average. Let's say, for example, that someone purchases 10 premium expansions and the sole purpose of doing that was to allow them the required amount of spare space for when they can start playing a new guest race. Yes, you can analyse it and say "well, that means they are using more alternative space to do other things with", but it may be hard for that player to realise the benefit of that.

I have some (not too many) premium expansions. I'm also the type of player that doesn't like to leave a lot of empty space hanging around between chapters. This means that I fill up the majority of the space and then when it comes to building a settlement I teleport a lot of things into my inventory temporarily, to make space. A while ago I was considering the merits of spending a decent amount to have a few more expansions so that I could stop making life so difficult for myself. Not sure whether I would have done it or not, but now of course, I won't even consider it anymore.

DeletedUser3289

very complex formula, thats difficult to reach as it needs to be of e-sports quality, but since it's a game in constant change this will be unsustainable to maintain such a formula
Isn’t it simple to tie the costs to all Mandatory SS upgrades. Or probably include all the optional SS upgrade with some fractional weight.
no need to go go complex. And yes, no need to limit hardcore veterans.
As you said, we shouldn’t come to a point where the best way to play the game is not to play the game (or progress)
We already have history to remind us that forcing everyone into the same platter failed as a governance principle.
And we will have numbers soon. Don’t think that we will receive more benefits than the costs, but yes real data can verify that claim.
One reason : 5 high level attack AWs cumulatively increases difficulty. Whereas only one would help in a particular battle.

Lovec Krys

I suppose time will tell how this will play out
It's obvious, how it will play out.
Thanks to the multiplication effect, it's only a matter of time before Spire & Tournaments costs rise so high that both become unplayable for majority of the end game players.
And Inno will pretend everything is ok until that happens.

Meanwhile the new strategy for Spire & Tournaments:
Don't purchase premium expansions.
Don't build and level too many wonders, do only those absolutely essential for you. If you have many, destroy every one which effect doesn't justify the increased costs for Spire & Tourney (or deal with the fact, that you're no longer competitive in Spire&Tourney with mid game cities).
Having few high level wonders will hurt you less than having many wonders at low/mid levels (lower level count and therefore lower multiplication effect for your expansions&techs).
If you are low on seeds, it hurts you less to build an event seed hybrid than level your wonders.

And yes, no need to limit hardcore veterans.
But that was their intension, they are just using lots of words to cover it up.